Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFreak's Trek Build's

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Thanks Guys.

@Hunter G Thanks, the textures I plan to put on this mainly for weathering as everything else has been modelled.
    I am going to put a bit dirt into the nocks and crannies' so that it looks like it been used.

I'll be getting back to the refit after I have finished this. Then maybe do the weapons pod for this after that along with an interior. (Never done one of those properly, so that should be interesting.)
    So while I am figuring out how I am going to texture the Runabout.
    I though I would finally bit the bullet and have a little play around in Blender 2.8. After all I did say that I would do my next build in it.

Okay it got a new UI which is nice, but the two things that really bug me about it. Some of the shortcuts no longer work, so what you could do in seconds you now have to go hunting for and on top of that it no longer has a short cut. The other thing that bugging me is that they have change names as well.
    Before If you have duplicate verts on a object and you wanted to get rid of them you simple selected all the Verts, press W and then select "Remove Doubles". Job done.
    But now you got select all the Verts, click on Meshes go down to Clean up and select "Merge by Distance".

Who the F though it would be a good idea to call it "Merge by Distance"?
    I spent 45 mins looking for Remove Doubles and finally had to look it up on youtube.
    Anyway here is the results of a half a days working in Blender 2.8. (could have done this in no time in 2.79 but hopeful as I get to know 2.8 things will speed up.)

The little black dot on the saucer is the six foot man seen in my pervious scale pics. gives you an idea of the size of this thing.

oberth-test-blender-2.8.png
    evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BrandenbergBolianAdmiral
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Nice start. When there is little people on the hulls it really puts it into perspective, and the Oberth is meant to be small!

Yeah I had the same problem when I started, I was following along with 2.79 tutorials when 2.80 just came out and the merge by distance was changed. There is a bunch of neat addons that help out. I use Machin3 Tools, its free on Gumroad and adds some pie menus and shortcuts for different things. Speeds stuff up really nicely.
    Freak
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited May 2020 #245
    That looks good so far, Dean.

Yeah, they messed up some stuff with 2.8. The merge by distance thing is stupid. They also messed up Loop Cut & Slide, and of course messing with changed keyboard shortcuts is always a pill.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Freak
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    I didn’t really start with blender until 2.8, so this was less of a problem for me. But I get, that it can be frustrating to have to adapt to new major releases of software you use everyday. I still remember people in my old office cursing when MS Word changed its UI from 2003 to 2007 ... I believe some still do 😅

You can press M (like „merge“) and choose „by distance“ or you can right click on the option and add it to your quick favourites. Then every time you press Q it shows up right there. I’ve done this with all the things I use quite often like “bridge edge loops”; “Face Orientation” and “Knife Project”
    Freak
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited May 2020 #247
    Looks like a good start!

Yeah, relearning stuff for 2.8 certainly took a while. That's what they got for being so stubborn about changing the UI for literally a decade. Still, now that they're finally moving forward, better to do it all at once. IMO the workflow is better (after the learning period, of course).

'Merge by Distance' in Blender is a better name for what the tool was doing, you always could set up the distance between vertices you wanted merged. And merging by non-0 distance is quite a standard way to cleanly decimate models for game usage, so it's 'removing doubles' the name that was inaccurate. :)

Also, keep in mind, you don't have to select all vertices, in the same window that pops up where you can set the distance you can also set up the tool to use unselected vertices as well. Plus you can access the same menu by pressing ctrl+v rather than having to click on it on the screen.

Keep it up! Always good to see the Oberth. :)
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    P5ych0p4thWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFreak
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    "I know engineers. They love to change things."

I had a quick play around at the beginning of the week. The new UI looks nice but the shortcut changes/removals are a pain in the arse. Took me ages to find out how to smooth an object.

The Oberth is looking good so far.
    Freak
    @Vortex5972

Sure, it sucks, having to relearn a program, you already mastered or at least knew your way around. However when I think about someone, who has never used Blender:

Right Click > Shade Smooth would probably be the first thing, they’d try.

I still remember the first time, I tried Blender and not even managing to navigate the viewport, because for some inexplicable reason the mouse buttons are reversed when compared to basically every other 3D Software.

I don’t know, if it’s already updated for 2.8 but you can always get Andrew Price’ 7-Page PDF with all the shortcuts. Should be pretty quick, to learn all the new ones that way.
    Freak
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Does anyone else have the problem of using the wrong keyboard shortcuts in the wrong program? I find myself using Lightwave keyboard shortcuts in my Paint program (Affinity Photo) and vice versa. It's a good thing they both have "undo."

Super Runnabout. Wouldn't mind front and back orthos.
    Freak
    @Brandenberg ... yeah, happens all the time. Usually I try to use the blender shortcuts in gimp. And sometimes blenders „redo“ shortcut in Word, where it doesn’t work 😁
    Freak
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I always liked the Oberth. Unfortunately it seems the champagne bottle didn't break at her christening because she always seems to run into misfortune. Great start on the model!
    P5ych0p4thFreak
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    Does anyone else have the problem of using the wrong keyboard shortcuts in the wrong program? I find myself using Lightwave keyboard shortcuts in my Paint program (Affinity Photo) and vice versa. It's a good thing they both have "undo."

All the time, mainly in photoshop.
    Super Runnabout. Wouldn't mind front and back orthos.

@Brandenberg, I am going to be knocking some up soon as I have done orthros sheet for each ship I finish.
    But I can knock some render out now if you want?
    you want them single pictures, or just one with all the angles?

edited May 2020 #254
    Still playing around with Blender 2.8. No real modelling just figuring out where everything is.
    Anyway just for fun I though I'll do a Render of all the Trek ships I have built since returning to modelling.
    The picture included the unfinished Connie Refit and the newly stated Oberth Class.

While putting this picture together I notice the scale of the Obreth was wrong. I had it double it size in the last picture rendered. This has now been corrected and is in scale with everything seen in the pic.

all-models-to-scale.png

Now to get back and finish off those other projects. ;)
    Post edited by Freak on
    evil_genius_180P5ych0p4thashleytingerLizzy777publiusrBrandenberg
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Very curious to see how your Oberth comes out, finding refs for the underside of the saucer is nearly impossible.
    Freak
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    As @Hunter G said that the Runabout dose not need to be textures, as I have put in enough details. I have put that on hold.
    I was only planning to weather the ship, I am going to leave it for now as I can always come back to it.

Anyway, I have given the runabout a registration number and name. As the Runabouts are all named after Earth rivers, I have kept this up, with giving it the name; Severn. This is named after the River Severn here in the UK which is also the longest in the UK.
    I would have called it a day there. But the Runabout can also have a module pod attached. So I have modelled the weapons pod.

Right time to make some pictures with this and then get back to Refit Enterprise.

20200601-runabout-00.png

20200601-runabout-01.png

20200601-runabout-02.png

20200601-runabout-03.png

20200601-runabout-04.png

20200601-runabout-05.png

20200601-runabout-06.png

20200601-runabout-07.png
    P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180Lizzy777lewisnivenBrandenbergBolianAdmiral
    count23 wrote: »
    Very curious to see how your Oberth comes out, finding refs for the underside of the saucer is nearly impossible.

Yeah there is not much out there.
    It going to be a little while until I get back to as I have been putting of the refit build for to long. I really need to get back to it.
    edited June 2020 #258
    This is the best shot I've ever seen of the Oberth saucer underside:

oberth-christies.jpg

Unfortunately, it's not very clear what's there, other than the registry, a dome, some vents, the impulse engine and some hard to make out greebles.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    P5ych0p4thlennier1
    There's a few more ones here:

https://startrekships.tumblr.com/post/66576446856/oberth-class-uss-grissom-studio-model

Thankfully the movie has enough contrast (TSFS) that you can make out the depth of the greebling, but it does seem that under-saucer segment is pretty flat bar the twin tubes for the engines and the two recessed sections.
    evil_genius_180P5ych0p4th
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    After having a little break after finishing the Runabout build, I am now back to work on the refit Connie.
    Not much to show, I have resided the Reg on the nacelles and cut in the Panels, airlock and windows on the secondary hull.
    I have also model the “tail” from the neck running down the secondary hull back.
    All that is left to do now is add the light cut out that shine on the pylons.
    Add the phaser nibbles, detail the side of the hanger bay entrance and add the reg marking on the secondary hull.

Once I have done all that I’ll check to see if I have missed anything and get on that.
    I will then install all the lights so the ship can be seen in space and box model some location behind the windows. I’ll just put a light and nothing else, though I might do something different for the arboretum.

Then I can move on to correcting the material colours and get onto the textures.
    Also do another set of Reg Marking so I can swap it out for the Ent-A.

200608-refit-04.png

200608-refit-00.png

200608-refit-01.png

200608-refit-02.png

200608-refit-03.png

lewisnivenLizzy777srspicerBrandenbergpubliusr
    Lookin' great there, lines look accurate. Viper's got amazing amounts of detail for the constitution studio model, you should tap him on the shoulder sometime for some help if you're looking for obscure reference images on some parts.

Also for the oberth, i found there is one place you can get the missing ref for the underside of the model that should fill in the blanks against all the other reference image.

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/1x01/emissary147.jpg

So you can get a pretty good angle on the impulse units and use it in relation to the black sunk in grills from other studio models to roughly work out how those parts should look. Best i can do i'm afraid.
    Freak
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    All modelling is now done. I have added box rooms behind the windows with lighting.
    I also modelled all the decals. I should have really done this in the textures, as the only thing that would be changed would the ship name and Reg, for a different ship in the class if I ever do that. But I was on a roll.

Anyway here is where is she is now.
    Next is to start texturing her and I can call her done.

200614-refit-00.png

200614-refit-01.png

200614-refit-02.png

200614-refit-03.png

200614-refit-04.png

200614-refit-05.png

*Edit* while uploading the pictures I notices I have missed the greebles on the side of the airlock on the B/C deck and the hanger bay door. Speaking of doors, I have also missed details those up so I be doing that as well.
    evil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777xiaorobear
    Freak wrote: »
    *Edit* while uploading the pictures I notices I have missed the greebles on the side of the airlock on the B/C deck and the hanger bay door. Speaking of doors, I have also missed details those up so I be doing that as well.

I've had that issue before, where I thought I was done with something then realized I missed stuff. But, that should all be fairly quick to do, and the model looks great.
    Freak
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Happens to me too.
    Freak
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    count23 wrote: »
    Lookin' great there, lines look accurate. Viper's got amazing amounts of detail for the constitution studio model, you should tap him on the shoulder sometime for some help if you're looking for obscure reference images on some parts.

Also for the oberth, i found there is one place you can get the missing ref for the underside of the model that should fill in the blanks against all the other reference image.

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/1x01/emissary147.jpg

So you can get a pretty good angle on the impulse units and use it in relation to the black sunk in grills from other studio models to roughly work out how those parts should look. Best i can do i'm afraid.

@count23 Madkoifish gave me a bunch of photos that where taken during the Christies Auctions, when CBS decided to sell all of the Trek props that was given to them from Paramount. When CBS and Paramount was split into separate companies.

Freak wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    @count23 Madkoifish gave me a bunch of photos that where taken during the Christies Auctions, when CBS decided to sell all of the Trek props that was given to them from Paramount. When CBS and Paramount was split into separate companies.

More than the publicly available christie's photos? I have them all from the original cap and none of them were good for the oberth's saucer underside.

Freak
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    @count23 The photo was just of the refit Connie.
    I don't know what other photos he has from that Auction.
    Ah, ok, sorry, thought you were talking about the Oberth class. that's on me.
    Freak
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • CowardCoward519 Posts: 34Member
    Nice job on the connie refit, it's looking good!
    Freakpubliusr
    I think I am close to the end on building the Refit Enterprise for the Motion Picture.
    I have added textures to the ship and modelled, a few extra detail.
    Over all I am pretty happy with it. The Greenish panel on the are meant to be lighter but I am happy with their look.
    Reading up on the actual model, they where only an off Green colour for the Motion picture before the model was repainted for Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, and they where turned into an off blue colour.

So to tell the difference between the Original and the USS Yorktown, which would be renamed Enterprise at the end of Star Trek IV The Voyager Home. The Original has the green panels and the Enterprise A will have the off blue.
    As there is no real difference between the two ships, I have also knocked up a new set of Reg for the Enterprise A.

The only things left to do are add the lighting for the external ship. I have tired modelling shapes and have them emit while being hidden from the camera. This did not work to well and it was not producing the right lighting effect.
    The other way, is to use spot light lamps. The problem with this in Cycle is that you have to put the strength of the light to stupid numbers. This mean the point it start get washed out in white light, also area where I don’t want the light to be up is effected.
    An Example of this is one of the spot light to lighten up the top of the saucer. I can get the look just right, but because it so strong it also showing up on the nacelle’s.

The other thing I am not to happy with, is the defector. I am not sure how I get the effect of it light up.
    At the moment it got a mix material. (the material for the hull with an emission for the blue glow.) with a spot light to give the white glow in the centre.

So if anyone know how to do these two in Blender I would be grateful

Original Refit Enterprise

200628-refit-00.png

200628-refit-01.png

200628-refit-02.png

200628-refit-03.png

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A

200629-refit-00.png

200629-refit-01.png

200629-refit-02.png

200629-refit-03.png
    Lizzy777ashleytinger
    In cycles, you could just a shallow volumetric box over the spotlight and it'll enclose and cast on the hull a better effect than oversaturating everything.

for the deflector, an emission panel is the right way to go with a small point light just above the surface (tweak it's clipping distance so that it isnt getting caught by any part of the dish) and give it a short falloff, that should illuminate the immediate surroundings and not bleed light into areas missing on the model.
    Freak
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class