Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

SpaceX and NASA Back in space baby! DEMO-2

MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
edited June 2020 in General Discussion #1
First manned commercial spacecraft launched on sat the 30th. I dunno why no one has mentioned this. First I thought SaceX was nuts to try and land those rockets vertically let alone on a platform in the ocean.

D00Dp6AXQAUcfmV.jpg

sadly all overshadowed by protest violence of the same day. Greatest highs and lowest of lows.
Post edited by MadKoiFish on
Each day we draw closer to the end.
P5ych0p4th
Tagged:

• P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    I thought about writing something but I wasn‘t sure, if it‘s the right place for it 😁
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    A forum full of scifi spaceship happy gits, not the right place? HAH lol.

I seriously had expected them to have postponed all of this due to corona but clearly I was wrong. Heh. Just happened to stream a docu about spaceX and remembering seeing a "launch" stream. Mistaking it for the JAXA cargo launch.

Have to wonder how much of the design is inspired by scifi. I know the Shuttles had right of way lighting due to being a glider. (red and green lights) But I do not know if I have ever seen them on a capsule or other aux craft in space. Maybe I am wrong but I thought Star Trek the moment I saw those light up.

In the end it is nice to see progress instead of the status quo. Using Russian hdw to get to the ISS a Station technically past it's use by date, 21yrs old. Still a long road to a moon base and all the talk about mars. Maybe just maybe I will live long enough to see a moon base, maybe a production and manufacturing base on the moon.

Knowing Elon, pretty much everything is inspired by SciFi. I mean, the Falcon 9 is named after he Milenium Falcon 😁

Speaking of Russian hardware, I‘m on a binge at the moment of Documentaries or Soviet Space and Military hardware. It’s amazing, what those engineers were able to do. The Buran/Energija might have looked similar to the Space Shuttle but it was way more advanced on a technical level. Able to fly under its own power in the atmosphere, actually rapidly reusable, didn’t need a crew. And the planned second Version of Energija would have been fully reusable ... in the mid 90s! ... also they had another planned iteration, that would have had the payload capability to send a mission to Mars. Probably Before the year 2000 since it was a simple upgrade of the boosters. When it comes to military hardware I also didn’t know, that the F35B is basically an evolution of a soviet aircraft Northrop was able to buy after the fall of the Soviet Union.

It’s great, that the Soviet Union is no more ... but to thing what it might have done to space hardware, if the actually managed to send a man to the red planet 😁
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    The Discord has been pretty excited about this. Added some tags for SpaceX and NASA, so hopefully this is one of many to come. :)
    P5ych0p4th
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited June 2020 #6
    yeah it is sad that the remaining Energija shuttles are in a rotting warehouse with piles of bird crap piling up on them. Really the only similarities is config. Overlay them the shapes are all different. I think it is mostly the central fuselage and the color that makes the connection for people. I think a gross color choice like much of their other hardware or all red would have looked good. heh. But I am guessing a lot of the color is visual ID through telescopes during launch and return.

As for sending man to mars, I would think they would send one but I dunno if he would be alive or return alive. ATM it is a death sentence to travel there as so much is not even solved in how we would protect them just from solar radiation.

What was scary is what they DID fly and still DO. I wish there was more about the probe missions and moon rovers they sent. Just small blurbs in larger docus about other things.

I had a massive kick of Russian scifi a few years ago as netflix had a bunch of recently scanned and subbed films. Really sucks that so much of it was lost like early BBC stuff.

lol discord, Im a old fart I use IRC still (bugger my squint emoji turns into a angry one heh. )

Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    P5ych0p4th
    Yeah, the Russians were never shy of just trying stuff. Like Yuri Gagarins flight, which had no Plan for a landing of the capsule. He just ejected out and landed by parachute 😁

However their plan for the moon landing was actually quite clever. They would send an unmanned lander first and then a manned lander later. So if anything went wrong with the first one, the one cosmonaut could still get home with the other one. Kind of reminds me of the ending of the Martian 😁

Maybe Putin will put a little more money towards space travel, now that China and the US are becoming ambitious again. I bet those Russian engineers still know what their doing.