Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise Redesign 2020

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    Looking really really great. Love all those little details. It’s a hard ship to do a redesign for, since the original is pretty much perfect, when it comes to the proportions. Can’t wait to se the finished ship.

However, I Feel like the registry feels a little cramped. I’s spread it out a little more over the whole saucer. A little like this:

iz9blazwmlpg.jpeg

Yeah, I thought about putting it down there. I may or I may not. It depends how it looks.
    Zhor2395
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Absolutely beautiful work, Chris! I was going to mention the forward facing phaser, but someone else beat me to it. Spectacular work.
    evil_genius_180
    Thanks Eric. The phasers can rotate and fire forward. Also, I'm probably going to put an emitter on the underside that is more forward.

Here's how the ship looks with the registry moved, as @P5ych0p4th suggested:

enterprise_2020_wip016.jpg

Personally, I'm on the fence as to which I like better, though I'm leaning towards the other position. But, I'll let others weigh in before I decide.
    Lizzy777
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Yeah, I see, what you mean. Mayen of you put it a little mor forward, so that it’s in the Middle of the outer Ring 🤔
    evil_genius_180
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I think it would help if the "U.S.S. ENTERPRISE" was a smaller size
    evil_genius_180
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Prefer the first version. This one just has to much distance between the name and registry.
    scifiericevil_genius_180
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Prefer the first version. This one just has to much distance between the name and registry.

SAME here!
    evil_genius_180
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Nice design so far. B)

I prefer when the name & registry are both on an arc. If it were me, I would slide the name down to fit between the phasers and follow the arc of the saucer. Just my 2¢
    evil_genius_180
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions, everyone. I've given it a lot of thought and I'm going with the original position for the name and registry. It's based on the TOS ship, though slightly altered due to the phasers.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited May 2020 #41
    If it was me, I would go with the first one but reduce the size of the registry to fit between the phasers. I'd also reduce the size of "Enterprise" and put it closer. It really does strike me as too big in the first placement. This is a blast to watch tho...
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180
    ...or you could have the phasers between the N and first C and between 0 and 1 at the end.
    evil_genius_180
    edited May 2020 #43
    This is what the size of the name is based off of:

thecage010.jpg

And, it's not like it's a whole lot smaller even on the newer Star Trek:

trekxihd0980.jpg

But, having said that, I may fiddle with the text, but only once more. I also have considered moving the phasers. Since they can still roatate and fire forward, even if the pads they're on are at a 45 degree angle to the Y axis of the ship, I can have them completely clear of the text. I prefer that to trying to have their position based on the text, which would make the emitters asymmetrical.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    I took all of the suggestions on the text and blended them together to make some changes and come up with something I like better:

enterprise_2020_wip017.jpg

Firstly, all of the text is smaller. The NCC-1701 text is slightly smaller, the USS Enterprise text is significantly smaller. I also changed the font from Airborne II to Airborne Pilot, because I wanted to. 😉 I moved the text closer to the edge of the ridge and moved my phasers from 33.3 degrees to 45 degrees, then re-spaced the text to easily fit between the phasers. I also moved the Enterprise text towards the edge and put it inside the arc of the NCC-1701 text. The other change I made had nothing to do with the text, but I moved the access panels more towards the center of the lower area of the saucer, because I like how that looks. It also helps make that area look less “empty.”

This is all I plan to do for now, as I have a headache and just want to play a game or something until it goes away. I would be installing a new drive for storing games into my PC, but Amazon decided they didn’t want to deliver it today. The whole reason I ordered the drive I did was because it was supposed to be delivered today, and I don’t work Saturday nights. So, to not get it today as planned is irritating, to say the least.
    ashleytingerRekkertBrandenbergLizzy777Freak
    I dunno, I sure like the way that looks. Just my two cents worth but It is a nice size for your design. I myself would tend to want to stay with what is done on other canon ships just like you, but it IS a RE-design. You are completely justified in doing what looks good to you.
    evil_genius_180
    Being perfectly honest, I could give a damn what was done in canon. One of the reasons for doing this project was because I'm bored with doing canon stuff. Prior to starting, I was thinking of doing either the Constellation class or the Kelvin, but I couldn't get excited to start either project. However, that's part of the reason for this ship having a step-up saucer, as a nod to those two designs that I almost modeled. Wile I'll continue to draw influences from canon sources, I think my days of doing canon ships are behind me. But, you never know, this time next year I could be doing a canon ship. ;)

I'm using the original Enterprise blueprints, (same ones I used for my most recent TOS E build) but only for size and general shapes, not for much of anything else. I used them to size and line up the text, but then I went and changed it to suit how I wanted it to look, and so it didn't interfere with the phasers. I just happen to like the way the name and registry are nice and big on the saucer in TOS, unlike a lot of ships that came later. Comparatively, the name and registry on the Enterprise-D are tiny, and that's a look I definitely wanted to avoid.
    Lizzy777
    She's looking bang on.

Amazon are annoying for that lately. Pretty much since someone opened a can of worms a few months back. ;)

There's certainly been enough canon ships build that putting your own spin on things to keep it interesting is valid. I may even get back to it at somepooint. Haha. Isn't the text on the D suppposed to be the same size as the Connie once you account for scale?
    Amazon are annoying for that lately. Pretty much since someone opened a can of worms a few months back. ;)

Nah, they borked preorders long before this COVID-19 outbreak was a thing. And, their Prime shipping isn't always reliable. The problem is, once I get this drive, I have 464 GB of stuff to copy over to it before I can do anything else with it. I wanted a night off for that, for obvious reasons. But, instead, I get to mess around with it either before I go to work or after I get home. :eyeroll:
    Some more work done. I’m pretty close to being done with the top of the saucer section. I just have some details to add to the structure below the bridge, the bridge itself and the impulse/fusion reactor area.

enterprise_2020_wip018.jpg

enterprise_2020_wip019.jpg

enterprise_2020_wip020.jpg
    BrandenbergLizzy777
    I'm testing out an idea for the upper sensor array. I like it, so I'll probably keep it.

enterprise_2020_wip021.jpg
    BrandenbergP5ych0p4thLizzy777srspicer
    That is just plain awesome looking. Love the paint job, the sensor dome, the bridge panel effect, the 3 windows at the back of the bridge assembly and the two grills above the impulse drive area among other things. My only minor comment is that I think the tiny surface greebles are a tad distracting on EVERY intersection. I think every other or every 3rd?
    evil_genius_180
    Bummer about your drive. :s
    Thanks Brandenberg.
    My only minor comment is that I think the tiny surface greebles are a tad distracting on EVERY intersection. I think every other or every 3rd?

Worry not, I plan to do those all over the ship. :+1:
    Fantastic detail work, Chris! This is great to see come together.
    evil_genius_180
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    I am really liking this Chris. Looking forward to seeing more.
    evil_genius_180
    Hmm. Can't say I've ever really had a problem with prime but that's here in the UK.

The ship is coming along nicely. I agree with the greeblies being distracting, though. Not the amount but maybe how far the are raised. If it were me I'd lower the square ones about 50%, but it's your model after all. Is that a shutter on the front of the bridge?
    evil_genius_180
    Thanks a lot, guys. :)
    Is that a shutter on the front of the bridge?

No. There are no windows on the bridge. It's just some random detailing.
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    That Hullplating is looking damn beautiful up close. Is that an Array, A displacement map or did you actually model those details individually?
    evil_genius_180
    Thanks @P5ych0p4th. Everything is modeled, there are no maps yet.
    P5ych0p4th
    edited June 2020 #60
    The ship is coming along nicely. I agree with the greeblies being distracting, though. Not the amount but maybe how far the are raised. If it were me I'd lower the square ones about 50%, but it's your model after all. Is that a shutter on the front of the bridge?

This gave me a clarifying thought. You might try making them smaller period. Totally up to you but just a thought. It looks fantastic in any case.
    One other separate but related comment, is that they seem to be getting larger the further out you go to the edge of the saucer. On purpose?
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180
    I just want to say, the little greeblies aren't going away nor are they changing size. The triangular ones are indeed smaller closer to the center and larger closer to the edge. The rectangular ones are the same size throughout.