Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Galaxy Class

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's an improvement for sure. I did that trick for TOS ships a long time ago, but your interiors definitely look better than mine did.
    lewisniven
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    O man, for something so little it bring the ship really to life.
    That a vast improvement.
    lewisniven
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Subtle but really makes a difference 👌
    lewisniven
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Thanks everyone, It needs some tidying up in places but I think it's better too.

Messing about in photoshop earlier;

sff99yo0c071.png
    ashleytingerP5ych0p4thBillynom8evil_genius_180MadKoiFishlennier1Lizzy777FreakLeoBerlinBolianAdmiraland 3 others.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9714 Posts: 5,302Member
    Looking good, I gotta get off my but and do this too as my old slap together walls wont work well. But heh just been avoiding the pc for more than the planned break.
    lewisniven
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    edited May 2020 #217
    Not a great deal to report, I went back to the pre-subd freeze to modify the area where the lower part of the secondary hull meets the neck, i had the curve coming up way too 'high' before and it was going to interfere with a row of windows that are sat along there. I've brought it down and flatted it out a fair bit (to my eye it doesn't really bulge up much at all). This meant freezing out new geometry and then stitching it in to my existing model which was not fun. I then had to recut the area for the torpedo launcher and make a new panel for that as the curvature had changed slightly.

yvv5zjgqxifv.png

I also had a go at creating a slightly better bussard effect, bringing in some of the 'cloudy' effect we've sometimes seen. I also reduced the saturation on the room map as they were looking a bit too colourful before.

aner1ix6glvu.png

Next up I'll probably cut some windows in to the neck in strategic places so I can check the the geo is right (it's really hard to recreate what's on the studio model without windows for reference).
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    P5ych0p4thashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralBillynom8RekkertLizzy777evil_genius_180BrandenbergFreakand 1 other.
    Ok so turned out that still wasn't quite right, so I ditched it all, tweaked it, and stitched the new geo back in, again having to recut the torpedo area. I think this is as close as I'll get it. I used the lower row of windows shrink wrapped on as a guide and then tweaked the curve so they sat exactly right...well, close.

1xfrg0efiwzw.jpg

og5evck6g4ps.png

u8xp94hlr7l1.png

evil_genius_180RekkertLizzy777Billynom8BrandenbergMadKoiFishFreakMcCP5ych0p4thBolianAdmiral
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Awe. I just have incredible awe.
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    I just read through this whole thread. I love the attention to detail, and how clean the model is! Also it's good to see you understand good lighting :)
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    My mind is blown beyond belief. :open_mouth:
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Awe. I just have incredible awe.

Thanks man, always appreciate the kind words.
    Hunter G wrote: »
    I just read through this whole thread. I love the attention to detail, and how clean the model is! Also it's good to see you understand good lighting :)

Thanks a lot! I've been looking through your stuff too, love your concepts, I'm a big fan of the re-designed Galaxy, it's got a good visual language to it.
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    My mind is blown beyond belief. :open_mouth:

Cheers :)
    3ul6zz7rfjri.png

More secondary hull shenanigans. I've rebuilt, frozen, stitched in and then deleted this section about 6 times now. It turned out I had the row of windows a bit too low which was throwing everything else out. Once that was corrected that then adjusts where the torpedo launcher panel sits, so that's moved up a little bit too. The studio model handily has striped decks on the neck which makes lining things up a little bit easier, and I have also been using a large plane to run up and down the mesh, watching how it intersects to check the shape. I think I'm closer now, the secondary hull has become a bit taller and looks a bit 'fatter' now but I'm confident its closer than it was. This is something I need to really lock in before I go any further because once windows start going is that basically me committing, otherwise I'll lose all the work winding it back.

phzbwjdoza2i.jpg
    Lizzy777Billynom8RekkertMadKoiFishMcCFreakBolianAdmiral
    kosoc4mhqgy2.png

Revised geo and some windows cut in. Tbh from these renders it's very difficult to see what's changed, but that window row has moved up a bit, as well as the torpedo launcher panel, then the whole curve bought up slightly to meet it. I'll do some more windows but at this point I think that's as close as I'll get it.
    P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180Zhor2395ashleytingerBillynom8RekkertLizzy777FreakBolianAdmiralMcCand 1 other.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Nice
    lewisniven
    I froze the geo in and committed, slowly getting the neck windows back in now.

44dvnok7dxvc.png

evil_genius_180P5ych0p4thWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBillynom8ashleytingerMcCLeoBerlinRekkertFreakLizzy777and 1 other.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looks fantastic. I'm sure most of us have been there at one point or another, where you feel you've tweaked it as close as you could and you move forward.
    lewisniven
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Wonderfull work all around! I take my hat off to you.
    lewisniven
    I had to re-do a bunch of the windows (again!) and those slanted windows took me an age, but we're back on it!

5y50o6vnli0z.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryashleytingerBrandenbergLeoBerlinevil_genius_180MadKoiFishRekkertFreakLizzy777McCand 1 other.
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Those interiors are great. They really add a sense of scale to such a massive ship.
    lewisniven
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    The more I look at the film model, the less those windows on the leading edge of the neck make sense.

As I said on Discord, though, great job. They look good.
    lewisniven
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    That is looking fantastic!!
    lewisniven
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    In a class by itself. Beautiful work.
    lewisniven
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2001 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    I've been wondering how you and MKF were going to handle the windows in the neck and ... holy hell. Nice work!
    lewisniven
  • RidgeRidge47 Posts: 16Member
    Wow...this is some amazing work! Really well done. Was all this done in Blender?
    lewisniven
    For mine, it'll be by the seat of my pants. :p

Looking good.
    lewisniven
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice, she looking great.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »

Arr seat of your pants way, some times you get the best results that way. ;)

The more I look at the film model, the less those windows on the leading edge of the neck make sense.

As I said on Discord, though, great job. They look good.

Yeah it's hard to conceive of how the interior space would look tbh, I'll leave them dark :wink:
    Ridge wrote: »
    Wow...this is some amazing work! Really well done. Was all this done in Blender?

Yeah all modelling done in blender, texturing in Photoshop, thanks! :smile:

Looking good.

That is very much the technique at work here. With the saucer I could just array your cutting objects around a curve and crack on more or less. With the neck nearly every window has to to be individually placed owing to the weird curvature. Fun it is not.
    edited July 2020 #239
    I made some quick videos to show the process for anyone that might be interested, might be useful to someone:

Vid 1 shows the positioning of the cutting objects. I've started with my windows arranged in the row via an array that's been frozen in. Then i just tweak them to get the flush with the hull. If you just project from a side view without slanting them then you'll end up with stretching and uneven window sizes.

Vid 2 shows the cutting. I use knife project once they're all position then tidy up the geo before extruding in. I then use the extruded in geo as the window glass which is seperated off in to its own object, and the 'frame' itself is deleted as the thickness comes from a solidify modifier.

Skip to about 30 seconds in, for some reason I couldn't interact with blender properly for a while after starting the recording.

Note: You see me use 'Separate & Clean', this is a custom function developed by @McC for me, which separates the selected geo like the normal blender function, but also strips all vertex groups, modifiers and materials from the separated geo too, just to make life a bit quicker.
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    evil_genius_180BrandenbergMcCBolianAdmiral
    Yup that step 1 is the thing. It will not just screw up the height width ratio or actual measurements but it warps the hell out of your rounded corners. And least in max is is best to cut the curved corners in vs chamfering them as that often causes a non planar poly. Though I have not tried in newer versions as over time this window or object cutting thing has been less of a issue. I remember when doing my ENT BOP back when the final season was airing cutting on a single curve was a near impossible task and avoid smoothing errors or non planar faces.

Sounds like blender can do more interesting things. Usually I have to stencil in the object cutters then build off that stencil. So window glass comes off the hull and rough cut to the openings and all the bevels insets inner jambs etc are all extruded or beveled off the actual cuts. More of that divergence in various packages thing. Probably why I find blender so confusing. >_>
    Freak wrote: »
    Nice, she looking great.

Arr seat of your pants way, some times you get the best results that way. ;)

gets you a lot of wedgies and crack burn too.

Those blasted docking doors on the dumbell station gave me kramps that night I was so wound up by having had to redo the same modeling steps over and over because it was not close enough.
    lewisniven
    todays progress;

d4zyfdlnx1ki.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777Freakevil_genius_180BrandenbergRekkertMcCBolianAdmiralMadKoiFish