Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Galaxy Class

• P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    lewisniven wrote: »
    I'm not sold on these windows/rooms yet, and the refraction is doing weird things to them, despite being 'physically correct' Maybe transparent aluminium doesn't have the same IOR as glass...

Well ... technically the windows would not have the IOR of glass but of a transparent plastic, since that‘s what‘s used in modelmaking. Really depends if you‘re trying to recreate the look of a six foot physical model or trying to build a „real“ 641 Meter Galaxy Class ... in my opinion, the former tends to look a lot better.
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Ok, had a fiddle with the glass material, mixed in a glossy shader via a fresnel node, took the IOR down and removed the roughness.

etd7dvri4xpi.png
    bsz58q7wn2mz.png
    FreakBillynom8P5ych0p4thashleytingerRekkertevil_genius_180lennier1MadKoiFishLizzy777LeoBerlinand 1 other.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looks good.
    lewisniven
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    ^^^^

YES
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Wow, dude. That's some hot stuff. Glass is a giant pain to get right and I think you're there.
    edited April 2020 #187
    Rim windows finally finished, what a slog!

72mgifjxkn72.png

ljiaptj02obi.png

Post edited by lewisniven on
    LeoBerlinlennier1BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180ashleytingerMadKoiFishBillynom8RekkertLizzy777Freakand 2 others.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I wonder how much sleep the people in the rooms right next to those RCS thrusters get... 😛
    lewisniven
    Terrific work. I'm betting you let out a huge sigh of relief when you finished those windows.
    lewisniven
    edited May 2020 #190
    More texture work, mainly the striping round the shuttlebay. Progress has slowed a bit lately as I'm working from home I don't want to be camped at my PC 24/7. The texture work isn't a 1:1 perfect reproduction of the Generations paint scheme but is close enough imo. Bsides theres not enough clear reference to get it 100% perfect, and no one is going to sit and check every panel is in the right place.....right? :worried:

ivcg68jpbwzx.png
    JayruFreakBillynom8ashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180MadKoiFishMcCLeoBerlinBolianAdmiraland 1 other.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Nicely illustrates just what a behemoth she truly is. Rarely hits home that she's 42 decks tall.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    lewisniven wrote: »
    Bsides theres not enough clear reference to get it 100% perfect, and no one is going to sit and check every panel is in the right place.....right? :worried:

ivcg68jpbwzx.png

Hold my Beer, Challenge accepted.

I kid o course, she looking stunning!

Looks great! I'm a "close enough" type of person myself, so I certainly won't be counting panels. There are people, though. But, you likely won't find many here, as we all understand the lack of references and just getting something to a point where you're happy with it and then moving on.
    Ok so I reworked how the window frames were being done, as it was pointed out on the discord that the hull looked very 'thin' So now I've set the glass down a bit more, and extended the frames in to the room behind the glass. Granted its a subtle difference but it looks better to me. I also found some windows I hadn't finished cutting in, whoops.

wvabyh6agfg7.png
    ashleytingerBillynom8P5ych0p4thBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
    To be fair, that's a lot of damned windows lol
    lewisnivenP5ych0p4th
  • Billynom8Billynom8186 Posts: 44Member
    edited May 2020 #196
    That looks spot on! are the transport emitters flushed? or textured only?
    The roughness makes it look sunken in ;)
    Post edited by Billynom8 on
    lewisniven
    Billynom8 wrote: »
    That looks spot on! are the transport emitters flushed? or textured only?
    The roughness makes it look sunken in ;)

They're completely flush with the hull, with a panel line cut round them, i may yet re-visit the material on those slightly
    Billynom8
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Beautiful!
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    Beautiful!
    Very much agreed.
    Looks great! I'm a "close enough" type of person myself, so I certainly won't be counting panels. There are people, though. But, you likely won't find many here, as we all understand the lack of references and just getting something to a point where you're happy with it and then moving on.
    I love to get stuff extremely close to canon, but sometimes there are things about the original model that should have been done. In addition when you are doing a model that was a physical model the left side isn't going to be down to the millimeter (or even centimeter) identical to the right side, like we can do with 3D software. So it leaves you with the choice as to whether you model the inaccuracies from one side to the other or just go with the "ideal" cleaned up version.
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    Beautiful!
    Very much agreed.
    I love to get stuff extremely close to canon, but sometimes there are things about the original model that should have been done. In addition when you are doing a model that was a physical model the left side isn't going to be down to the millimeter (or even centimeter) identical to the right side, like we can do with 3D software. So it leaves you with the choice as to whether you model the inaccuracies from one side to the other or just go with the "ideal" cleaned up version.

I've started putting things into some of my stuff that isn't exactly lined up. Like I'll leave it a little off or I'll line things up on either side but cut them tat way instead of cutting, cloning and flipping the object to make it whole. It's not exact, but I figure it more closely emulates building a real set/ship model in a way.
    lewisniven
    edited May 2020 #201
    You've got to know when to call it imo, else we'd be modelling the masking tape marks in and all sorts.

Started on the recessed window bits on the saucer underside, @MadKoiFish wasn't wrong these are a huge pain in the backside.

w2sigppd2g77.png

Edit:
    That above pic is making it look as if I've made them far deeper than I actually have, just an unfortunate shadow:

92dnbvxjhoco.png

Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180lennier1BolianAdmiralLizzy777Billynom8FreakRekkertBrandenberg
    Yeah, any time you do windows (or anything really) in those recesses, they're a lot of work and a huge pain. But, the end result is really nice. Your recesses look great.

Some of those models were done on an extreme time crunch, so I feel that doing the "ideal" version is closer to the design's intent, they just didn't have time to do it for the shows. Also, I look at it that I'm trying to build a representation of a "real" spaceship, not a recreation of the physical model.

One thing that irks me is when people recreate a look that was caused by segmentation on an early CGI model. I mean, it's not like the model makers didn't want it to be smooth, they simply had polygon limits that we don't have now.
    RekkertBrandenberglewisniven
    Some of those models were done on an extreme time crunch, so I feel that doing the "ideal" version is closer to the design's intent, they just didn't have time to do it for the shows. Also, I look at it that I'm trying to build a representation of a "real" spaceship, not a recreation of the physical model.

I agree.
    lewisniven
    I wanted to upgrade the room texture I was using as the previous one was a very quick dirty affair that id drawn in photoshop. As such I modelled some interiors from scratch and then rendered out orthographics to use as the texture maps, with baked in lighting. I might take the saturation down a bit but at least for now I have a far more detailed interior map to use.

iczlbc9n3f6l.png

u3w0w0du1pf5.png
    RekkertBrandenbergmdtaBillynom8evil_genius_180ashleytingerBolianAdmiralLizzy777FreakP5ych0p4thand 1 other.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Those are perfect! I love the little lab.
    lewisniven
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Cool!
    lewisniven
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Love the interiors
    lewisniven
    They look great! would love to see a before and after render from outside the ship.
    lewisniven
    Thanks guys!

Before:
    hw7jqvahmr7t.png

After:
    6pv3q83j3h5p.png
    ashleytingerRekkertBillynom8BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakP5ych0p4thLeoBerlinMadKoiFishand 2 others.
    edited May 2020 #210
    Looks great, less contrasty then before, Just wondering, are the lightmaps hdr?
    Post edited by Billynom8 on
    lewisniven
    Billynom8 wrote: »
    Looks great, less contrasty then before, Just wondering, are the lightmaps hdr?

They are not, just simple pngs
    Billynom8