Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Patton

• shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    Well, here's my first attempt at putting together a proper MSD for the USS Patton. Took quite a while to translate all the linework I had in the original 2D cutaway, but I think it turned out ok. I'd love some feedback on it, if anyone has any to give.

k5p4fawigetf.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakZhor2395BolianAdmiralRory1707
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    The lines seem a bit thinner than I'd expect, the external, not the internal, but that might just be me
    The lines seem a bit thinner than I'd expect, the external, not the internal, but that might just be me

The external outlines are thicker than the interior. I don't know if you can view this fullsize or not, but I verified the png export from my CADD in my graphics program as well as the imported texture in SU.

Here is the raw texture (png) to view.

hswkwe1ju00j.png
    evil_genius_180RekkertLizzy777FreakZhor2395BolianAdmiralBrandenbergRory1707
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The MSD looks good.
    I think it was just my junk monitor at work. Here at home this looks great.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    The MSD looks great, and I reiterate I just love the design of the Stalwart-Class. It's like a New Orleans for the Excelsior/Ingram.

One thing that I'd suggest though, is that you leave a bigger blank space between the end of the graphics and the end of the screens, as on Trek those were always quite big. On the MSD for example, there's enough space on the sides of it, but the top and bottom are a bit too close to the screen frames, so I'd make the screen itself taller. :)
    shaved_ape
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Thanks folks for the feedback and suggestions...

@ashleytinger it's a difficult play in design, to create something that everyone can appreciate from the same view as the creator. What I man is that what may look good on one screen, may not on another, given a false impression of the end result. My monitor is professionally calibrated, according to Adobe standard, so with that, what my output looks like here, will probably have slight variations elsewhere. At one point, I discovered that even through a simple internet browser, colors may display wrong, pretty annoying. :(

@Rekkert For the frame size, I am working with a smaller area for the MSD, not the typical "big screen" we're used to seeing on say, TNG. I've considered widening the frame (thus moving the back supports outward, but not by much, due to the amount of room I have to play with. As for vertical clearance, I'm tapped out because of the upper bulkhead that's in place. To be honest, if I make it bigger, which I don't have a personal problem with, I may have to relocate it, or possibly switch places with it and the Patton logo, at the front of the compartment.

Let me stew on that, and maybe make another alternate arrangement and I'll put it up to a vote. One caveat to the move though, is changing ingress/egress to the engine room completely, which could be a PITA in itself. lol

Thanks again folks, I always appreciate the input.
    Taking some advice to heart, I refurbed the forward section of the engineering room to be a bit more angular, rather than a flat wall. Now, I can accommodate a much larger MSD, but now there are two entry points and I moved the pool table a little forward as well.

vl1jr0i2inyh.png
    ih084rmreej6.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777BolianAdmiralBrandenbergRory1707
    I love the reflection of the MSD on the pool table.
    shaved_ape
    A couple of dramatic shots.

4p0711eifc33.png
    iwmry8cyxhlv.png
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777BolianAdmiralBrandenbergRory1707
    I freaking love those glow effects. It looks powerful. And dangerous. Nice work. :+1:
    shaved_ape
    I freaking love those glow effects. It looks powerful. And dangerous. Nice work. :+1:

Thank you Sir. This model is really kicking my behind. Not sure if I need more RAM or what, but the model complexity and the textures are taxing the system something fierce (had a major crash earlier today and lost a bit of work). I may have to step back and re-analyze the individual components to see where I can shave off some bytes. There's a lot of LCARS style display textures that I would need to create but at this rate, I'm not sure if that's in the cards.
    Next time you're rendering, you may want to bring up the Task Manager to see if you're using 100% of your RAM. If you are, then you'll know you need more. If not, then it's (obviously) something else.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Sweet!
    Any plans to add a normal map to coolant tower? The TNG section was wrapped in fabric in a diamond pattern like the insulation on old NASA equipment.
    Next time you're rendering, you may want to bring up the Task Manager to see if you're using 100% of your RAM. If you are, then you'll know you need more. If not, then it's (obviously) something else.

I guess I blew that theory. During a couple renders, I monitored the system and my cpu and gpu weren't breaking a sweat...guess it's the components, more specifically the texture sizes. I re-saved the pool table, condensing the geometry as much as I could, but the 3.4mb display texture doesn't help. It's a png, which I assumed was better to use, but I might try attaching a jpg to see if that helps. Some of the VRay textures can get pretty large too, but they do look so good. lol

I have 32gb under the hood for memory, helping out the i9-9900k and a nvidia RTX-2080...didn't think this model would still be a problem, but I guess I need to keep an eagle eye on the components a bit more.
    evil_genius_180
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Sweet!
    Any plans to add a normal map to coolant tower? The TNG section was wrapped in fabric in a diamond pattern like the insulation on old NASA equipment.

I might, but then again, I've mulled modelling the the unique pattern too.
    edited May 2020 #108
    shaved_ape wrote: »

I guess I blew that theory. During a couple renders, I monitored the system and my cpu and gpu weren't breaking a sweat...guess it's the components, more specifically the texture sizes. I re-saved the pool table, condensing the geometry as much as I could, but the 3.4mb display texture doesn't help. It's a png, which I assumed was better to use, but I might try attaching a jpg to see if that helps. Some of the VRay textures can get pretty large too, but they do look so good. lol

I have 32gb under the hood for memory, helping out the i9-9900k and a nvidia RTX-2080...didn't think this model would still be a problem, but I guess I need to keep an eagle eye on the components a bit more.

You've definitely got the hardware to handle this model. Most likely, you've hit a software limit. I've had this issue before.

For textures, .png is definitely better as far as quality. Switching to . jpg might fix your issue with the software limit, but you will have some compression artifacts. But, you have to find that acceptable line when it comes to quality loss VS being able to render the scene.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    shaved_ape wrote: »

You've definitely got the hardware to handle this model. Most likely, you've hit a software limit. I've had this issue before.

For textures, .png is definitely better as far as quality. Switching to . jpg might fix your issue with the software limit, but you will have some compression artifacts. But, you have to find that acceptable line when it comes to quality loss VS being able to render the scene.

Actually, there's no issue with rendering the scene, it's maneuvering around in the model that's the issue. I'll tinker some more and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the advice though. =)
    Ah, I misunderstood. I've had that issue too. It sucks when you have to maneuver around in wireframe and then do a test render when you think you're where you want to be. But, I've had to do it plenty of times just to get set up without a crash.
    I know in TrueSpace I can have it just show bounding boxes when I go to move my viewport around. I have to do that on my laptop but my normal PC can handle it fine. Is that an option for you?
    I know in TrueSpace I can have it just show bounding boxes when I go to move my viewport around. I have to do that on my laptop but my normal PC can handle it fine. Is that an option for you?

I believe there is, via VRay, with the usage of proxies. It's not an aspect I am well versed in currently, but if this issue compounds itself further, i may look into it.

Typically, the hangs happen when rotating or zooming the scene, so I figure it's SU having to regenerate textures as they come into view. I know that geometry plays a big part, in that the more complex, the more SU has to work at it. I'm slowly going through what I have adjusting geometry that might cause issue, but for textures, that's an outside issue all in itself.
    I believe I "toned" down my issue, and it was a rather easy fix (despite my overhauling components that didn't really need it). There are a couple of settings within SU that handles performance, and by disabling a couple of features, SU runs a little smoother. So far, the model is hovering around 70mb, which isn't that bad, mostly due to textures believe it or not.

Anyways, enough tech talk, here's a few more renders.

hze7wddac8w3.png
    7ka0tdgrcygd.png
    erhviey8wpyx.png
    lennier1evil_genius_180ashleytingerrojrenBolianAdmiralLizzy777BrandenbergRory1707
    Looks good. It's also good to know you solved your issue. Those kind of issues can take the fun out of this hobby and solving them is always a huge relief.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Oh, I love how it's separated into two areas like that! The whole work room feels great, like a proper workspace, I can picture the chief engineer standing in front of the MSD and giving instructions and being able to see EVERYTHING happening, just like the Captain on the bridge. The warp core is a safe distance away, so you could understand as a viewer that if the crew was in that area, they'd be doing more intense work, and the stairs would allow for some good shots and blocking.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I absolutely love the MSD... and the design of the pool table... and the whole set.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Wow. This is really coming along. Thanks for sharing it.
    A couple more renders here...

c8c2p68xkvq2.png
    rv9h0654nvx7.png

So I've made a "rookie" mistake and it's coming back to bite me. This version of the model shown, is born from another, but within the same file, and another part of the issues I've had, has a lot to do with textures. I just got done doing a render from the PTC tunnel and I have textures coming out misaligned, despite them being correct in their component model file. At this point, I have to start again with a clean file and import each component again, making sure their good to go before proceeding. Maybe it's a fault with SU, I don't know, but I'm too close to completion to let it beat me.
    Rekkertevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakashleytingerRory1707
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Great looking set. The renders are nice as well.
    shaved_ape
    Something to put out the flames from my computer....

94v6ls7uvysl.png

Seriously though, I stumbled on a decent set of reference photos for one of these, and since my engine room needed one, I modeled it. It's about as close as I can get, and any differences are subtle enough to warrant a newer model of extinguisher for the times.

After completing this (not to mention during the tail end of re-watching ALL of the Star Trek movies), I started to have thoughts of revamping the engine room design a little more. Thankfully, this thread is in the WIP, because I can't seem to settle on a final design yet. lol

Aside from the aforementioned extinguisher, I realized that my engine room design was a little too streamlined, like it needed more exposed conduits (something like the Ent-E's engine room, despite it being much more evolved). In any case I've started to make some changes, and hopefully soon, I'll have some time to render some views up. In the meantime, enjoy the extinguisher.
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777BrandenbergRory1707
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice your fire extinguisher.
    I prefer red to the fire extinguisher, ;)
    shaved_ape