Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA long return

• JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I was referring to srspicer. Though I cannot put it past a software company to pull stupid as they can dictate anything these days.

I agree, and I got what you were saying. I was just being clear that my loss was down to nasty piece of **** :-s

Update, such as - finished the lift bay detail and the gubbings for the hatch to slide open (click thumbnail for larger pic):

s7kwm5G.jpg

Comments welcome, more soon.
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    Inside of landing leg bays finished as much as I can until I get the lighting done. Legs are boned and rigged so I can animate this baby. Hatch is rigged as well and slides nicely at an off angle :-)

n1sDALr.jpg 6uLxSsH.jpg

The exterior is pretty much done and rigged aside from texturing. Procrastinating slightly because the inside is the bigger job, and I am having to remember so much, lol. The question I have (before I move on to the rooms behind those windows and more) is - does this need a weapon system? In two minds about that. But let me know your thoughts.

2T85774.jpg

As always, click on the thumbnails for larger images, comments welcome, keep well and safe and more soon.
    evil_genius_180rojrenFreakLizzy777srspicerkomaro
    - Mike Oldfield
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Welcome back Jayru! It´s a looong time without news from you...
    Oh, I´m sorry about your loss... to much sad. But as you said, the most important things are saved. It counts a lot! ;)

About your new project, I see you got some inspiration from "Land of the giants", "Lost in space" and "Voyage to the bottom of sea", and mixed it all with your own ideas. Very good, the ship looks a beauty. With your attention to details, it will be to much interesting to watch the development of this project.

Kinddest regards!
    Jayru
    edited April 2020 #35
    Starship wrote: »
    Welcome back Jayru! It´s a looong time without news from you...
    Oh, I´m sorry about your loss... to much sad. But as you said, the most important things are saved. It counts a lot! ;)

About your new project, I see you got some inspiration from "Land of the giants", "Lost in space" and "Voyage to the bottom of sea", and mixed it all with your own ideas. Very good, the ship looks a beauty. With your attention to details, it will be to much interesting to watch the development of this project.

Kinddest regards!

Thank you - I will admit that I am inspired by a lot of the old TV shows, but with what I have in mind... it's going to be a mixed bag of inspired and original, lol.

On to business: no comments on the whole "should I arm the future family camper" - but I did have a play around and designed this;

oAJ7YTB.jpg

Some sort of retro "electric repulsor" is what comes to mind. I've added a couple to the ship in a drop down bay. But... Still in two minds about it. Dave is of the opinion that they could be useful if mining, clearing an area for camping (why? The inside of the ship is going to be luxery), and general self defence. I'm not ever going to make a military version of this baby, and there are some limitations on the field of fire that this would have (deliberate design choice).

But this is something to think on and ponder. I'm not happy with the above design, so it's going to change.

Also bit the bullet and started blocking out the control room. Very basic at the moment, and missing lots of elements;

CKXw6Aq.jpg

The room is far deeper than I like, and I will be clipping it to fit purpose. I think giving what I have mapped out that this iteration of the design is bigger. That's fine. It was never going to be a one-to-one recreation, but rather it's own thing. I have some basic drawings for the control panel layouts. They. Are. Going. To. Be. Fun. To. Build. The origianl version? Every single button, dial and switch was built in. Such fun. But boy did it look good.

As always, comments welcome and as always please click on the thumbnails for larger images.

More soon!
    Post edited by Jayru on
    - Mike Oldfield
    And after an hours work (and looking up and remember how to create hives, lol) here's where I'm leaving things today;

gCOplV6.jpg

Yep, needs more detail - and that will come. Needs the comfy chairs, and... I need to remember how I created them or come up with something better. But she is taking shape and coming back to life. I may never get any of my stuff back from the cybergrave - but this, this I can say I built again. And built better.

Comments welcome, click on thumbnail for larger image and... More soon!
    srspicerevil_genius_180FreakLizzy777
    - Mike Oldfield
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's all looking really nice so far. :)
    Jayru
    That's all looking really nice so far. :)

Thank you, btw I have added more lifts to the mesh - when I get done with the control room I'll render them up. Was a good idea to add backups. Still not sure about the weapons though.
    - Mike Oldfield
    Today's offering - (click on thumbnail for larger image):

PHgKxZ5.jpg

comments welcome, more soon.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    - Mike Oldfield
    That looks good. Is the whole ship going to be controlled from that rear station or are more stations forthcoming?
    Jayru
    That looks good. Is the whole ship going to be controlled from that rear station or are more stations forthcoming?

Those six stations run the entire ship :-) Lets just say the AI on this thing is pretty good. The idea is that the ship is easy to pilot and control, the AI does most of the heavy lifting re-control, so that Mum, Dad or however can enjoy the family holiday without having to worry about being a top notch pilot/engioneer etc. The ship does have maintence droids, which will be another thing to create and model. But you know I don't like small projects.

Based on current notes, the six pannels are: helm, navigation, weapon control, engineering, science, communications (subject to change - I have to build these stations yet). There would be auxiliery stations througout, but this room is the main command area. One set of controls, one pilot (although spacing allows for two) and six comfy chairs to sit in to enjoy the view as the ship zooms around.

One of the things slowing me down is the loss of all the material librarys I had. I really I'm starting with nothing and having to make things up as I go along. Learning about 3D glass again is super fun, lol.
    evil_genius_180
    - Mike Oldfield
    edited April 2020 #42
    Let there be colour:

76zpFlW.jpg

And let's take a peak through the BAW (Big A** Window):

dqkdjUs.jpg

Yeah, I textured the outer hull :-)

It's going to look better when I get the lighting rigged up! An d then on to the fun of 9 control pannels (six for the controls, one for the doors, one for the airlock and one for the lift). The fun I shall have in building them. But I look forward to it.

As always, click the thumbnails for larger pics. Comments welcome (I know this isn't 'Trek or 'Wars, but meh - enough people have them covered. Original is fun).

Post edited by Jayru on
    evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    - Mike Oldfield
    Jayru wrote: »
    (I know this isn't 'Trek or 'Wars, but meh - enough people have them covered. Original is fun).

There's nothing wrong with doing your own thing. You can do it however you want, rather than playing by someone else's rules. :)
    Jayru
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Love that Bridge.
    Jayru
    There's nothing wrong with doing your own thing. You can do it however you want, rather than playing by someone else's rules. :)

Thank you. I needed to do something to get back into this. I didn;t realise how depressing loosing it all would be. Some days I look at this project and think, "why bother?" But then I start seeing it come together and I realise that I don;t have to re-create what I lost, just be inspired to make something better. Which is what I would have done anyway. Becuase I have a secure vision in my mind of what I want (and what I did last time) I can cut some corners and jump to certain layouts. That being said - the control panels are going to be vastly different from itteration #1.

Freak wrote: »
    Love that Bridge.

Thank you! I wanted something different, something comfy and underwhelming. Something that anyone could walk on to and say - ok, I can fly this this thing :-)

Small update - redid the logo's on the wall, because I got them wrong... (my own freaking logo as well, lol) and spent some time recreating the animated molten rainbow animation for the computer hub at the back of the room:

ZjplbAC.jpg

Click on thumbnail for larger image, coments welcome - and more soon!
    - Mike Oldfield
    The first thing I noticed looking at the thumbnail was the rainbow. That really pops. :)
    Jayru
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I,d love to see your Ingram live again.
    This saucer has noble proportions.
    Jayru
    The first thing I noticed looking at the thumbnail was the rainbow. That really pops. :)

Thank you - I have been working on a batter animated version of it all weekend. Needed to sort it out so it loops nicely. Finally got there. When time permits I'll render it up and put some links up to you tube.

Currenlty working on the animated textures for the drive systems. Not going to be the same as I did before. Seems to be more "liquidy" than last time, but that could work. But hopefully it still be fab.

publiusr wrote: »
    I,d love to see your Ingram live again.
    This saucer has noble proportions.

The Ingram - my take on it - is dead. I'm not to go back to it. Yes a version of it exists, I did a version for a group making a Trek fan film. I could ask for that copy back. But... I'd end up beating myself up over what I haven't got and then try and spend time making it better. The Clarke Class is the one I really miss. I got that sucker right, even with the rooms behind the windows, full shuttle bay and cargo bay interiors. Maybe one day I'll go back to it.

For now, it's all about this ship and getting it done. This is mine, and it's loss hurt the most of all. So yes, getting this back - recreating it, building a second version (which is what this really is) is important at the moment. I have other original ideas as well I'd like to explore. So we shall see!

More soon (busy with animating textures)
    - Mike Oldfield
    Finishing up the textures (including the animated ones) for the hull:

yRWoyuT.jpg

Click on the thumbnail for the larger image, enjoy - and yes I will be getting back to the insides!

More soon.
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Freak
    - Mike Oldfield
    That looks nice. I like the color scheme. Very classy.
    Jayru
    I agree with EG, it got a great retro feel to the colours, even if most films with flying saucers where in Black and White.
    Jayru
    That looks nice. I like the color scheme. Very classy.

Thank you. Those are animated colours :-) the domes swirl with blue smoke, the side drives bits rotate and swirl in a multi-colour rainbow - and the computer interface is... awesome, lol.

Freak wrote: »
    I agree with EG, it got a great retro feel to the colours, even if most films with flying saucers where in Black and White.

Thank you. Two seasons of "Lost in Space" were colour, "Forbidden Planet" and "This Island Earth" are colour. Some philistine will colourise "The Day The Earth Stood Still" I have no doubt at some point (if they haven't already, "Things To Come" has been colourised *shudder*). Saucer's are not quite as easy as people think. It's about not overdoing the detail, lol. But yeah, aside from the mind'e eye, there isn't a lot of reference material out in the world for modern flying saucers.

But that's ok, I'm happy to make use of my imagination to bring this baby to life :-) And any comments that people have.

Small details left to do on the outer hull, and then it's done and I can focus on the inside. Lighting needs to be rigged up. I may leave that to the end as I have to relearn that.

More soon!

evil_genius_180
    - Mike Oldfield
    gNSrcip.jpg nFUZukB.jpg yXYy9sl.jpg u8kn1k8.jpg

Still not happy with the "electro-repulsors" - retro yes, but, I'm still not sure about the design or whether they sit right with the rest of the ship. Only going to have one pair if I keep them. After all, this isn't a warship of any kind :-)

Need to clean up the materiels on the landing side of things. The domes look aweful off, but fans of old will know I'll keep at that until I get it right.

And the carpet in the control room is driving me nuts. Still looks flat.

Comments welcome, more soon.

(PS, as always click on the thumbnails for larger images).
    evil_genius_180srspicerFreakLizzy777ashleytinger
    - Mike Oldfield
    Looking Good!
    Control Room lighting rig added. Just ceiling detail, then the control pannels and this part is done...

aQTNGQc.jpg

click on thumbnail for larger image. Comments welcome. More soon :-)
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    - Mike Oldfield
    It looks good, though a bit dark.
    Better?

z6x9u3p.jpg

Click on thumbnail for larger image. More soon ;-)
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    - Mike Oldfield
    Much
    Jayru
    Better?

Yes. Now it's very pleasantly lit without being too much.
    Jayru
    Better?

Yes. Now it's very pleasantly lit without being too much.

The only change I made: I remembered to turn on shadows this time, lol. Plus the peeps as well. But it was the lack of shadow mapping that was killing it.

Started on the controls...

HAxjrtz.jpg

Comments welcome, More soon
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
    - Mike Oldfield
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Oh—something I forgot...Corey over at starshipmodeler.com did an Ingram

At any rate-I hope you are feeling better these days
    Jayru