Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2D & 3DThe UNITI Project (Community WIP thread) - 2D & 3D

2»

• DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Oh cripes, the IDC takes me back. Hard to believe I've been here long enough that someone born when I started can legally drink in several countries.
    lennier1
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    The vending machine was an old joke to illustrate the scale of his models.
    The snacks are more of an Insane Detail Club thing, different piece of SFM history. :D

Those where fun times.
    Learnt a lot from Coolhand and the others.
    Dannagelennier1
    No work done on the vending machine, sorry, but I've been distracted with replacing the gunship from this era. I actually animtaed them spinning but I can't attach videos here, so here's some screencaps... Uhm, the new one is up top... :bleep_bloop:

zat5hy6pwz80.png

54pdryd3ehu9.png

pz983dehcnab.png

Lizzy777FreakrojrenJES
    I so nearly did a vending machine but this thing is about 600 metres long so pretend I did it but it's tiny. :)

This is another re-model of an old ship. An unforeseen consequence of going back to the start and rebuilding the 'earliest' ships, is that some features have started to creep in which make later designs feel a bit more fluid. Entirely unintentionally, there are pieces of this ship I've looked at and gone, huh, that is a much more natural progression from the first rockets to the later fleet ships, and oooh, this component is like a proto version of that bit in later ships... ooh, it's like stuff makes sense...

8ls6q7jsufvy.png
    Lizzy777FreakJES
    Okay, I finally gave in and loaded Blender up again. I had real trouble with the interface around the 2.7 era, but 2.9 seems to feel a little bit less anti-me. I got really fed up with everything I was doing in my 20 year old version of Max, looking a bit naff, lighting and materials wise... Whilst I could probably have done more in post, if I'm going to teach myself new stuff at this age, it should be in a more modern tool.

I spent a couple of days getting irritated at not being able to do anything other than accidentally move or delete a cube, but this evening I have sort of got the hang of some basics again and look, I turned a cube into a moderately rubbish looking plane. :)

I also managed to figure out roughly how to get the model into a camera shot....

It's extremely daunting the idea of learning a new tool from scratch, but I remember how supportive you lot were *or your parents were* when I started out *cough* years ago in Max, so I hope to be able to get back into doing proper models of spaceships any year now...

ebjbwbbvfgk8.png
    zbtfvzvnokm3.png

Yeah, I still got to learn a lot about materials... and merging multiple primitives, and mirroring them and joining vertices and all sorts... Oh this is going to be a long ride...

Just to repeat something from a 'wanted' thread (I couldn't even convince people to let me pay them to build stuff!) if any of you lot are in South East UK, and especially if you are using Blender, let's get together (post lock down) and do some collaboration.

Lizzy777JES
    So I can sort of apply textures. I did manage to move some UV shapes around, but then I seem to have lost it... A guy in a video just pressed 'something' and seemed to be able to apply single pixel colours to whole faces, but hey... It's still technically day one.

txsls4nasl5h.png
    Lizzy777JES
    Okay, today tonight I mainly figured out how to add objects not in the 0.0.0 co-ordinate (i.e. I moved the 'cursor' to a new location) and figured out roughly how to texture a bit, with some basic colours. I'm a long way off doing anything decent, but I'm better today than I was yesterday.

ypkopctitsug.png
    rojrenLizzy777JES
    For Lennier and Freak....

5bvc6qbjhygs.png
    Lizzy777
    Not really learned anything new tonight, just getting a bit more comfortable with throwing some primitives together.

dbsym4w1bba2.png
    Lizzy777JES
    Okay, think I've got enough basics to start trying properly... now I need to get the files from the old PC, into a state where I can get a good look at them and continue the same styling, whilst moving into a completely different tool...

But then this is why I restarted at the 'beginning' of the space history, so I'd cut my teeth on 'antique' ships and develop newer ones as my skills improve...

1vrvdqzcv5o4.png
    rx10mkoohqa6.png

Lizzy777JES
    Okay, managed to get my last WIP out of Max and into Blender. This is one of the replacements above three of the ships I was replacing. See that red blip between them near the noses? That's the vending machine... :)

I don't want to try 'adjusting' the replacement as I wasn't liking how it was going, but this will, at least, give me scale and some guidance on my replacement replacement... yay!

Also, finally managed to get some proper three point lighting at last.

tgp1iccrblr1.png

Is anyone else just starting out in Blender? Most Blenderheads I see in here are waaaaay profficient. Us noobs gotta stick together and learn right? ;) =)
    Lizzy777JES
    So I did make a ship after this, but somehow it ended up being a quarter of the size it was supposed to be, so I decided to park that and use it for a civilian ship later. I don't have many civilian ship designs, and it seems sensible they might 'copy' military designs after the fact.

Anyway, I decided to restart, and start with a detailed bit, having a go at making some gun turrets.

Had a brief panic attack about 90 minutes in when Blender just closed... But thankfully it has an autosave feature... *mops brow*

So here are some practice gun turrets, plus vending machine...

dyb03ih09ecp.png
    Lizzy777JES
    Okay, this is about the fifth time I have tried to make this next ship, but I think I'm getting it to a tolerable position now.

y8nvbamq7577.png

cxobcseshz3d.png

JESLizzy777