Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA long return

JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
edited May 2020 in Work in Progress #1
A billion years ago (it feels like it sometimes), I had a couple of minor threads up on here - one a take on Todd Guenther's Ingram Class, something I spent a long decade working on, lol - and the other for another Trek ship, the Wolf Class.

Life is funny, because last year there was a minor problem which means that ALL my 3D projects - the stuff I'd created for Bridge Commander, various Trek projects, Blake's 7 projects, personal projects... well all of it was lost for good. I did have backups, and backups of the backups - but the destruction was total. All my 3D work is gone. I don't hold out hope that any of it will ever show up. I was of a mind to never create any 3D stuff again, but... You can't keep a creative down for long.

I'm starting from scratch 3D wise, I've decided to start a brand new project: a flying suacer. Sort of an escape from all the stuff that's going on in the world. This was something I'd started working on last year, and the original was lost with everything (the original was nearly complete and had an almost complete interior as well). So, this is a second go at it - no reference material (all gone), no old meshes to draw on. Redux #2 from scratch - but not a second take, because there is no first take any more and only a hand few of images.

so something new, from the start my take on the family motor home for holidays, except way in the fture when we all use flying saucers:

Day 1 - basic outline

vixgf1t.jpg 4Y2iYRf.jpg qrR6rGt.jpg

Day 2 - lateral engines added

D5a3NWa.jpg JfEJi5u.jpg nI7IGmy.jpg

(click on thumbnails for larger images)

More to come. I have no sketches of my original plans for this, so I'm, going to make use of memory and imagination. Because this isn't for any particular sci-fi universe other than my own, nothing I do can be wrong, lol (oh god - do I remember the posts about warp nacelle size with the Wolf Class *shudder*).

Coments as always, welcome. Enjoy and more soon!

(latest Image)

eg8rs2dh2c21.jpg

Post edited by Guerrilla on
The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
- Mike Oldfield
Lizzy777srspicerevil_genius_180
Tagged:

• lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    That looks good so far, nice to see something different! Looking forward to seeing this progress.
  • JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    edited April 2020 #3
    Beginnings of airlock, more windows and the addition of field coils to the domes...

HWKn6q2.jpg

(click on thumbnail for larger image)

Weird shadows are caused by lack of smoothing groups, but I'll get to that.

More soon, comments always welcome :-)
    Post edited by Jayru on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    - Mike Oldfield
    lewisniven wrote: »
    That looks good so far, nice to see something different! Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Thank you - I hope you enjoy this trip into my mind!

- Mike Oldfield
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I can't see the images in your first post, but what I see of it in the second post looks nice. It's a shame you lost your 3D stuff ( I've been there too.) I remember your Ingram class model, it was really good.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The classic flying saucer. You can never go wrong with that.
    She a great looking ship.
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    Alas, I am unable to view the images big or small, but I bet they're amazing
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
    Thanks for the welcome back guys, and I hope the image links are now fixed. Nice to see some familiar names popping up :-)
    - Mike Oldfield
    edited April 2020 #9
    @ evil_genius_180 - it's been... Hard loosing all that work. I nearly, I came close to giving up on doing 3D work ever again.
    @ Freak - You can, but I'll try not to!
    @ Zhor2395 - hope the image links are fixed and working for everyone.

Updates: Minor details built in and added, landing gear and bays added, hatches built and rigged as well -

7g1XFK9.jpg voIyNlI.jpg vX4eBgj.jpg

Guys & Gals, we have landed -

PufuXcC.jpg

(click the thumbnails for larger images)

The question now is do I go with a ramp to get the crew in and out like I did last time, or a lift... there is room for either (and maybe both). BTW, the legs fold up nicely into deck three without issue. Do they look small? I'm trying not to be a size queen here, but I think they look fine.

Anyhoo, comments are always welcome!

Post edited by Jayru on
    Zhor2395evil_genius_180Lizzy777RekkertsrspicerFreak
    - Mike Oldfield
    *whistles* Yes they do, that really is amazing :D
    The landing gear looks good.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited April 2020 #12
    Yup, those landing legs look great. Personally I'd go for a lift, though a ramp has an added 'vintage' factor if you're going for that. :)

Sad to hear about your models being lost, I loved your takes on the Ingram. :(
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited April 2020 #13
    Zhor2395 wrote: »
    *whistles* Yes they do, that really is amazing :D

Thank you - glad you can finally see the images!

The landing gear looks good.

It will get better, I have some plans for it to shine.

Rekkert wrote: »
    Yup, those landing legs look great. Personally I'd go for a lift, though a ramp has an added 'vintage' factor if you're going for that. :)

Sad to hear about your models being lost, I loved your takes on the Ingram. :(

It kills me to have lost so much work - this is about all I have left of it, some FB covers:

Ingram -

6e6w17m4cyb0.jpg

Clark (and Ingram), my take on the Oberth Class - fully rationalised design that worked -

1nu8o2oa31lc.jpg
    sopnj660ubvf.jpg
    ebdersm8xstb.jpg

And the original Flying Suacer -

luzyuk5veup8.jpg
    br3xn4ythxcs.jpg
    97isjhndh3qm.jpg

The trick with the FS is that it's not a military ship, but a defacto family camper designed for long haul holidays. It was designed with comfort in mind, and most of the detail was on the inside. Every control button was modelled, the full interior... full animation on the lights, field generators, landing legs and boarding ramp.

Kills me, KILLS me that it's all gone. All references bar these and that I am starting with an empty library, no notes and no old mesh files to look at. But technology is fragile, and the dissaster happened. Dave and I have tried for the last six months to recover what we can of my 3D stuff. A total of one texture file can be recovered (the escape pod hatch from the Ingram project). 20 years 3D work gone in a puff of smoke. Backups toast. The important stuff survived, Dave, the cat and the house. I can start again. And the Flying Saucer - the Starship - is a good place to start again. Maybe I'll go back to Trek again - maybe not. But this project will be finished. Inside, and out (and the inside will hopefully blow a few minds after the pics of the original version).

Post edited by Jayru on
    Lizzy777Freak
    - Mike Oldfield
    edited April 2020 #14
    Smallish update - more later - just the deck layout. I have deck's 1 and 3 mapped out. 2 is larger, and more fun :-)

This is not a SMALL ship, or a Jupiter 2. If I can't fit it inside, it won't go in ;-)

0swGXsd.jpg
    Post edited by Jayru on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    - Mike Oldfield
  • cool65cool65332 Posts: 29Member
    It look like 1960's.
    cool65 wrote: »
    It look like 1960's.

Missed that decade by a year or two, lol
    - Mike Oldfield
    I like your take on the Oberth Class, solves the issue on getting into the secondary hull.

As for access into your saucer. The ramp is a classic, but a lit fits better with a ship of this size.
    edited April 2020 #18
    Freak wrote: »
    I like your take on the Oberth Class, solves the issue on getting into the secondary hull.

As for access into your saucer. The ramp is a classic, but a lit fits better with a ship of this size.

Thank you - the Clarke was a fun ship to work on, wasn't just access to the secondary hull - but making sure the Intermix shaft worked as well. It was a TMP style ship and I loved the look of it and the interiors I did. But it's gone :-(

You have a small look at the original "Starship" and it's control room. Comfort all the way. Man I loved it. And I will love how version #2 looks as well. It won't be the same, but it will still be fun :-)

I agree, a ramp has some advantages in terms of ease of access, but given the size of the ship and where the ramp would have to extend from, it would be ridiculous in terms of length and size. The original had a ramp, and it was massive, lol. So I am going with the lift idea. Gives me an airlock system too which is nice as well. Take #1 on the lift was aweful, so doing a take #2.

More soon.

Post edited by Jayru on
    - Mike Oldfield
    edited April 2020 #19
    Happy Chocolate Egg day!

Updates:

The landing legs and feet are finished, and I will move on to other things (like redoing the side airlocks again, lol). Second take on the boarding lift - which is sitting better with me, even managed to get the internal hatch done as well. Will detail it up and get the gubbings worked out and working.

DlU7QJW.jpg gk2K5HE.jpg Nc91oOR.jpg igyMHCb.jpg OwGZ8iy.jpg Kh5OIdJ.jpg

(click on the thumbnails for larger images)

Enjoy, and remember what they say about ships with big feet!

Comments always welcome, more soon.
    Post edited by Jayru on
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180srspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
    Morning!

Lift updates:

loFayyU.jpg

(click thumbnail for larger image)

Controls will be done later - after I've done them for the Control Room :-)

Comments welcome, more soon.
    evil_genius_180Zhor2395srspicerLizzy777
    - Mike Oldfield
    That looks good so far. Are you planning to do more than one lift?
    really nice
    Lift is looking good.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Love how this is shaping up

That's... A very good question. I want to say no? But my brain is ticking over on some ideas for cargo lifts....

Zhor2395 wrote: »
    really nice

thank you!

Freak wrote: »
    Lift is looking good.

Thank you - it's all built in detail at the moment. I need a day or two to start work on creating the texture maps. But fans of old will know I like building detail in.

- Mike Oldfield
    Jayru wrote: »

That's... A very good question. I want to say no? But my brain is ticking over on some ideas for cargo lifts....

See, I didn't even think of cargo. My mind was stuck on how bad of an idea it is to have one entrance/exit.
    edited April 2020 #27
    See, I didn't even think of cargo. My mind was stuck on how bad of an idea it is to have one entrance/exit.

There are the two side airlocks, and deck 3 doesn't have a lot of space. Working in some more lift locks is not a bad idea. I'll check it against the floor plan I have and see.

Iteration #1 of the saucer only had two side airlocks and a ramp that stuck out the front like a giant... ummm, well it was big and long. I'll finish the original lift off, small details left to do on the inside of the 'lock and then see about arraying it around so the ship has three of them. The new sketches I've done include a side lift with a ground car. Because every flying saucer should come with a family car. BUT, the external of the saucer is nearly done in terms of detail. That may make it seem dull, but the exciting stuff is on the inside (and really, what more does the external hull need? - It's already got more visual interest bits than the original).

I also need to take some time to recreate this as well: https://youtube.com/watch?v=EOfXEn9GMLM. Although iteration #2 is going to be different - but this what the domes did on the original. (yeah, sucks it's all gone. Still this is an oportunity to do it better, do it publically, and share the damn thing so that git can't destroy my work again).

Post edited by Jayru on
    - Mike Oldfield
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    edited April 2020 #28
    I feel your pain a little. I was told about two/three months ago by Fusion 360 that I no longer qualified to use their software for free anymore. I was under the small business making under 100/200K. I have been learning the program for the past two years! I was not creating product or making money using it, just a learning process. So my files can no longer be edited and saved, I can view them, but that is all. I can no longer create anything either. Very frustrating, and I haven't been motivated to start over with Blender, which is my only free option. Don't have the funds or the job that can enable me to pay for F360 or give me access.

Can't wait to see more...!
    Post edited by srspicer on
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    uh those licenses are based on people USING the tool for said business. If your running say a business selling car parts does not void you from using some 3d software as a hobbyist.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the data, best though is cats and humans and a roof are more important than a hdd.
    srspicer
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    srspicer wrote: »
    I feel your pain a little. I was told about two/three months ago by Fusion 360 that I no longer qualified to use their software for free anymore. I was under the small business making under 100/200K. I have been learning the program for the past two years! I was not creating product or making money using it, just a learning process. So my files can no longer be edited and saved, I can view them, but that is all. I can no longer create anything either. Very frustrating, and I haven't been motivated to start over with Blender, which is my only free option. Don't have the funds or the job that can enable me to pay for F360 or give me access.

Can't wait to see more...!
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    uh those licenses are based on people USING the tool for said business. If your running say a business selling car parts does not void you from using some 3d software as a hobbyist.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the data, best though is cats and humans and a roof are more important than a hdd.

It wasn’t a licenses issue, but rather a malicious attack. But that’s enough of that :-)

Working on some minor things, (updates pending) and then will be starting the Control Room!!
    - Mike Oldfield
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    I was referring to srspicer. Though I cannot put it past a software company to pull stupid as they can dictate anything these days.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.