Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Trek News and Rumours

• P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    I saw another Interview with him. I usually don't believe all those conspiracies, but here they might actually be correkt. It's a shame really. From what I see, he's still acting and it would have been nice, to have another ex-borg with an actual backstory. And from what I've read about his coments on the whole Kevin Spacey thing ... I mean yeah ... he shot a little fast but he did apolgize. No harm done. The backlash he got was way overblown ...
    Freak
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Midnight Edge has also done an interview with Melinda Snodgrass, writer of Star Trek The Next Generation episode "Measure of a Man".
    I not had chance to watch this yet. But I am going to post it here any away.

This is continuing a discussion from the Star Trek: Picard thread as it going off topic and best suited here.
    Viper wrote: »
    ... But just because they are not filming doesn't mean things aren't in motion. You need to write scripts before shooting anything. You usually don't start shooting before the current season ends either, as most probably the actors will be doing promo work at that time. I would guess season 2 of Picard will start shooting in late April, early May.

Those same rumors, btw, were also saying season 3 of Disco would never happen, and that Picard was going nowhere. Yet, here we are.

If far easier to stop a production when it still in the writing phase as you are only paying for writers and designer time.
    We don't know when this part of the production starts, but it a good bet that it normally a few months before sets start to be constructed and maybe a month more after that the cameras start rolling. (To allow for the construction time.) Picard Season 2 should be getting outlined and first drafts of the script should be written if they plan to start filming in April or early May.
    It once construction of sets and filming about to begin does it start to get expensive and harder to stop. This is because you are paying for the crew, studios, hiring of filming equipment and props, location fees (If filming on location) the actors etc.

Picard first season was delayed by two months and this cost CBS a small fortune because they had people sitting around doing nothing, until they where given the green light to start filming, it was also cut from 14 episode down to 10 and had a bunch of reshoot which you can see in a few episodes as it comes across as a mishmash of two storylines. (That is just bad story writing and has been pointed out by a few professional TV writers.)

So until actual production has started IE set constructions and filming. CBS can very easily pull the plug, Plus it not CBS who are paying the writers its Secret Hideout. This brings me to Kurtzman announcing Section 31 show towards the end of Discovery season 1.
    We keep hearing that it is in development, but CBS still has not yet given it a greenlight to go into production or even have a pilot made.
    So all the development costs for it, is coming out of Secret Hideout pocket (This is basically for the writers to come up with story ideas, outline story maybe write a few scripts. Also has designer, design prop's and sets, etc.) and not CBS. CBS will only have to pay once they give Secret Hideout the go ahead to start production.

As for the Rumours that season 3 of Discovery not happening, well that turned out not to be true. But it was a rumours and I posted it as such.
    As for the Picard rumours, they where partly right, Production was delayed, CBS mechanise partners have not signed on. (Have you seen any Discovery or Picard Mech, with the exception of eaglemoss? The answer is no and nothing has been announced to be coming out. Those that have signed on like McFarlane Toys and Funko Pop recently announced that they are not going to be making any products for Discovery and Picard or are not renewing their contract with CBS for the Star Trek licence.)
    Netflix walked away, and when this happened. Picard's production almost came to a full stop. It was only after Amazon signed on did production start. Amazon also only payed half of what CBS was asking for, this is another reason why the season was cut from 14 episode down to 10.

Like I said, unless the show has started filming don't count on it happening. CBS can pull the plug at any moment as it cheaper to stop production here than when the camera are rolling. Only time will tell.
    This is bit of news is only for those of you living in the States.

Start Trek: Picard, is now going to be free for a month.
    But there is a catch, it will only be available on CBSAA. This means that in order to watch it you still need to sign up with CBSAA and use the code: GIFT.
    Nine episodes are currently available with the ten and final episode of the season coming out on CBSAA on Thursday.

Now I don't know how CBSAA signup works as I am in the UK. But here if you want to sign up with any streaming service even with a free trail you still need to add your Debit Card details. So I suspect it the same there.

My guessing is that with the current crisis CBSAA has noticed that the other streaming services are getting more viewers and their numbers have not changed that much. So by giving ST:P away for "Free" more people will sign up and CBS hopes that once the Free Month is done a majority of them will forget to cancel their subscription. It only a guess but I would not put it past them.

you can read the article here.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/patrick-stewart-cbs-all-access-free-month-1203543617/
    Hmm ... I don’t know. Did CBSAA have a free Month before all this? If not, it‘s probably just that.

Otherwise it is good marketing. Picard is incredibly successful at least if you take social media penetration as an indicator. Though I‘m speaking for Germany where it is available on prime.

But in general using this show to pull in people for a free trial makes sense to me from a business perspective. Maybe they‘ll like CBSAA or just forget to cancel. That‘s what a lot of subscription services are banking on after all 😅

From what I‘ve read, CBC is planing a new service after the merger is through. That might actually be interesting. But if it‘s enough to actually be successful ... that‘s hard to tell at the moment. For example, I was pretty optimistic about Disney, but seeing, that they‘re keeping it family friendly with an iron fist ... even at the cost of excluding Deadpool and Logan from streaming at all ... I‘m not so sure anymore.

Guess we‘ll see ...
    I think they where doing a two week free trail before any of this happened.
    But your right it does make a good market scene. But with the Exception of Trek, NCIS, CSI and all their spin offs. What dose CBSAA have to offer?
    Not Much.

As for the social media penetration, don't take a lot of stock in that.
    It dose not recognise if your saying good things or bad things about Picard.
    It just counts people talking about it. So everyone could be saying it the worst thing ever to be made, but the social media data won't show that.

Your better of looking a Google Trends. That site shows how much something is being search for. It a better indicator at how popular a show is than social media.
    If people like a show they will search for information on the show.
    If they don't they won't.
    Of course this is only going off Google and not other search providers.
    Freak wrote: »
    As for the social media penetration, don't take a lot of stock in that.
    It dose not recognise if your saying good things or bad things about Picard.
    It just counts people talking about it. So everyone could be saying it the worst thing ever to be made, but the social media data won't show that.

True. But the thing is, that there‘s no such thing as bad publicity. If Picard is in the trends of pretty much every social media platform every friday, that means, it‘s being talked about. Even the people who hate it, are at least watching it, to then hate on it ... that‘s pretty much, what I do by this point 😅

Same with discovery. I really didn‘t like the first season and downright hated the second one (with the exception of some actually pretty decent episodes). But the thing is: I‘ve watched all of it and I paid for it (in mor than one sense, but mostly through my Netflix subscription). There‘s always piracy, but I think most of the people watching, are paying to see it.

That being said, I won‘t be watching STD Season 3 and ST:P (are we calling it that? 🤔) Season two. I simply had enough of Kurtzman Trek and I see no way, they could actually improve upon what they have.

On a somewhat unrelated note: I‘ve been watching The Orville again. I started with the second season and then watched the first. And it‘s almost impressive, how different those are, when you watch them this way. But it also goes to show, that Seth listened to most of the constructive criticism and made the show better in all the right places. Now it still isn‘t anywhere near peak TNG (I don‘t think, anything can be anymore) but if he keeps up that level of improvement, Season 3 should be amazing) ... just sayin, because, I feel like, that show doesn‘t nearly get enough love or even respect.

And now contrast This to STD Season 2 where they doubled down on most of what people hated about the show. Season 3 seems to be even worse, looking at the trailer. I do not have anything against dystopian SciFi. But that really isn‘t the point of Trek.
    Kurtzman and co need to go.
    CBS also need to bring all Trek production back in house. (okay it was Paramount and not CBS that did that but still.) I am hearing that a crap ton of the production budget for all current Trek shows is going into Secret Hideout pocket and not being used on screen. The way they are able to do this, is due to the large number of producers on both shows. How many does Lower Decks have?
    That remains to be seen.

Like I said time for Secret Hideout and Bad Robot to go and everything brought back in house. It would say CBS / ViacomCBS are crap ton of money, which they need as their stock has taken a major nose dive before this crisis started.
    Given with the shutdown there is not much Trek news at the moment.
    But Midnight Edge just realised a video on the troubles ViacomCBS are suffering at the moment.
    Based on a article that just came out in Forbes.

I mean, I‘d like to see the property over at Netflix but if they really sell it off, that‘ll be a cool billion and you‘d still have to develop, shoot und finish a show. However, you can make more than one show, do niche shows and even constantly do new ones. It‘s really perfect for a streaming show. I‘ll give CBS that ... they at least saw the potential.

That‘s also why I don‘t see them selling it. They would be pretty much killing their streaming ambitions. Most other CBS AA Originals are terrible and even the Paramount back catalogue isn‘t that interesting.

I just hope, it‘ll not go to Disney. While their latest Franchise stuff usually is pretty good, it also tends to be really forgettable stuff with few exceptions. As good as something like The Mandalorian is, it‘s also a very very safe show after one season.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    Heh maybe all the work I am doing atm is going to be pointless but not for the reasons of a virus. . . . heh.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Not really familiar with the scene at all, but isn't that Midnight dude like notoriously unreliable source? At least that's what I've gathered on the Discord.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    edited April 2020 #164
    @Guerrilla, They get a bad rap.
    But no, it actually three people working on that channel. They do a lot of research and always states if something is a rumour. They do have industry insider and have interviews a few people which includes
    Nicholas Meyer & Melinda M. Snodgrass who wrote the TNG episode The Measure Of A Man, which was the bases for the first part of Picard. (Melinda M. Snodgrass interview can be found a few post back.)

So if they where unreliable they would not be able to get those interviews.
    Hell Meyer gave them some good insider info on the first season of Discovery, but it was stuff they where unable to report on.
    I know this as Tom who works on the channel has mentions this a few times in lives streams.

People that don't like what they are reporting when it comes to Trek. (Which tens to be JJ and Kurtzman Trek fans.) So they try to discredit them, epically when something they have reported on his Ture but these fans don't like that fact.
    Post edited by Freak on
    Dunno as they are reporting on another source I would just go to that source and make my judgement from there. Too many of these "reviewer" "news" channels I find super annoying. It could be the guy on screen is just that and turns people off.

Never watched any of the vids cause I cannot stand these monetized videos who just vomit content from some other source or work mixed in with annoying filler.
    Which tens to be JJ and Kurtzman Trek fans.

No, that's not it, at least on the Discord. I'm personally not watching the videos though, because I'm really not invested enough, but also because whenever I watch some silly fandom stuff play out my recommendations are ruined for weeks. :P
    P5ych0p4th
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited April 2020 #167
    If you actually cared, you could pause your watch history and watch the video, or watch it in an incognito tab. Though, I suspect you don't care enough to do that. ;)

Personally, I'm a Star Trek fan and I can't even be bothered with those videos. If the rumors are true we'll find out about it through official channels eventually. If they're not, then there's no point in them. But, that's just my opinion.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    P5ych0p4thMadKoiFish
    If you actually cared, you could pause your watch history and watch the video, or watch it in an incognito tab. Though, I suspect you don't care enough to do that. ;)

That does seem like a lot of effort, but now I'm kind of intrigued...
    I hate that! ... I watched one Disvovery „Review“ bei that Nerdrotic guy and I still get recommended videos of him hating on women 😅

I have my YouTube watch history permanently paused so it will only recommend stuff based on my liked videos and whatever random crap it wants to try and show me.
    edited April 2020 #171
    Watch history being paused wont stop it. I have had my history paused forever and it does nothing but turn off the anon viewing of your watch history. (this might not be a thing anymore, at one point you needed a add on to snoop people's history and likes) YT will still log the video, genra and channel names of channels you watch and shape your suggestions. It just is not public. You should just be able to log out and go private/incognito mode. BUT that does not always work either.
    Hell I would not be surprised if they match machine ids and connection IP to your log in. Well no they Do do this it is how they "warn" you of odd logins from other machines and locations. I get these email warnings when I use a different pc in the same house.

So yeah I would not bother.

Watched the corona-chan hiphop video, and ugh nothing but covid19 and rap crap everywhere now.

Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    edited April 2020 #172
    ...If the rumors are true we'll find out about it through official channels eventually. If they're not, then there's no point in them. But, that's just my opinion.

I alway take a grain of salt with that. It all depends on who reporting it. If it Kurtzman I don't beleave a thing he says. After all he is only going to report on his own interests. So he won't report anything bad.
    This also goes for anyone on working on a show. They are contracted so they won't say anything, that is not in the interest of the show or CBS.

Look at Garrett Wang, in the early years of Voyager he did a interview and some of the things he said was not positive for the show. (nothing to bad, like he was being singled out.) Berman saw the interview and was not happy. At first Berman wanted to fire Wang, but it would have been over kill and did nothing.
    That is until Wang went to Berman and asked if he could join the Trek School for Directors. (Something that was Started with Frakes.) Berman flatly turn him down and kept refusing when Wang went back again.
    Berman knew that if he let another actor join the school, then he could be done for racism. So Berman shut the school down permanently. This is why no one from Enterprise was able to do the Trek School for Directors.

So when Fakes get asked question about Discovery or Picard he not going to say anything bad about those shows. Even if he hates what they are doing.
    He will say good things because he wanted to carry on working as a director, not just on Picard and Discovery but other ViacomCBS shows.

Again anything that is being reported by a VaicomCBS site, you need to take with a grain of salt.
    When was the last time you saw one of those sites report something bad. Never.
    Post edited by Freak on
    edited April 2020 #173
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Watched the corona-chan hiphop video, and ugh nothing but covid19 and rap crap everywhere now.

I don't watch any corona videos or hip hop videos and I get that stuff suggested to me too. Hell, the hip hop stuff has been suggested to me for years without ever watching a single hip hop video. So, whether or not you watch it makes no difference. YouTube just has some crap algorithm that suggests stuff to you no matter what you watch. Or, they'll claim they're suggesting something because you like certain video, even though they have absolutely nothing in common. That's just how YouTube works. (really, it doesn't work)

If you watch YouTube entirely in incognito mode, you won't get personalized recommendations. I tested this theory for a few months. Even by not signing in on the app on an iPhone without a Google account attached to it, I didn't get personalized recommendations. I finally decided it just wasn't worth it because I like to follow certain channels, so I signed back in with my account. I just get rid of the crap I don't want from my suggestions.
    edited April 2020 #174
    The corona thing was night and day, nothing ever, now it is rows of the crap. I will watch a pi4 video and all suggestions are corona stuff. There is a massive difference in what I experienced vs just random bullshit suggestions like fail vines etc.

But this is just in relation to PAUSED history not private mode etc.

Paused history does not stop google from tracking what video you do or do not watch. It does not stop suggestions based on what you watched. All it does is stop the viewable lists.

Guess it matters as well I am referring to desktop. Specifically desktop with firefox.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Nothing stops Google from tracking you. You can be on a site you think has nothing to do with Google and it still has Google Analytics. Lots of sites run it as a background thing because they get money from Google to do it. Same with Amazon, really. I saw a report once where a woman tried to get away from all of the major sites like Google, Amazon, FB, etc. and there wasn't much of anything she could do on the internet.

But, yeah, there's really no way to stop them from tracking you to try and "enhance" your desktop, mobile, etc. experience, which is why I gave up trying. My suggestion was merely to not have recommendations based on one video, and watching it incognito is your best call. It's not perfect but about as good as you're going to get if you want to watch the video.
    I actually stubbornly used Youtube for years without signing in because I didn't want to feed the algorithm, but the global trending got so awful, it was unusable without giving up my precious personal information. I mean, what was I supposed to do? Actually get some work done? :p
    I saw a report once where a woman tried to get away from all of the major sites like Google, Amazon, FB, etc. and there wasn't much of anything she could do on the internet.

Yeah, I read that too. Once you cut off Amazon's and Microsoft's clouds, there isn't a whole lot of web left for you to surf these days. And hey, we're running Google Analytics here, though not to monetize anything. Mainly just to have an idea on who's visiting and how they end up here.

Oh, and maybe also to steal your dreams a little... :grimace:

Anyway, our current tech giant dystopia is veering a little far from the optimistic Star Trek utopia, so someone should maybe post some Star Trek news soon? :)
    Guerrilla wrote: »
    Anyway, our current tech giant dystopia is veering a little far from the optimistic Star Trek utopia, so someone should maybe post some Star Trek news soon? :)

you have asked and I shall deliver.
    Not new news, but I though I'll posted it anyway.

DESTINATION STAR TREK Germany Convention Pushed from May to October Due to Coronavirus Concerns.

No surprise there, I expect the one in Vegas that normal at the end of July begging of August to either be pushed back as well or cancelled. This will be the case with lots of events until this thing is sorted.

evil_genius_180
    It's not a surprise those cons have been postponed. But, that's always better than cancelling.
    Guerrilla wrote: »
    Yeah, I read that too. Once you cut off Amazon's and Microsoft's clouds, there isn't a whole lot of web left for you to surf these days. And hey, we're running Google Analytics here, though not to monetize anything. Mainly just to have an idea on who's visiting and how they end up here.

Yeah, Amazon's biggest profit comes from web hosting. It's almost impossible to get away from them, Microsoft, FB or Google. They're just too big.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    I mean, I‘d like to see the property over at Netflix but if they really sell it off, that‘ll be a cool billion and you‘d still have to develop, shoot und finish a show. However, you can make more than one show, do niche shows and even constantly do new ones. It‘s really perfect for a streaming show. I‘ll give CBS that ... they at least saw the potential.

That‘s also why I don‘t see them selling it. They would be pretty much killing their streaming ambitions. Most other CBS AA Originals are terrible and even the Paramount back catalogue isn‘t that interesting.

I just hope, it‘ll not go to Disney. While their latest Franchise stuff usually is pretty good, it also tends to be really forgettable stuff with few exceptions. As good as something like The Mandalorian is, it‘s also a very very safe show after one season.

Trek would be FAR better off in the hands of Amazon Prime then Netflix. Netflix original content is 90% over-the-top Liberal Social Politicking vs. actual story sadly.
    edited April 2020 #180
    Trek would be FAR better off in the hands of Amazon Prime then Netflix. Netflix original content is 90% over-the-top Liberal Social Politicking vs. actual story sadly.

Aside from that reason, Netflix also isn't doing as well as Amazon is in the streaming wars. Amazon is also more solid financially and in a better position to buy the property than Netflix is, which doesn't hurt any either. And, of course, they're the current partner for Star Trek after Netflix didn't want to do it anymore. So, Amazon is a better bet all around.
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    I wouldn't want it on amazon, they don't have the option to remove subtitles here on English movies. So I'm stuck watching English movies and tv shows with Japanese subtitles that I can't remove. It is really distracting cause I always end up reading the subtitles instead of concentrating on the action on screen.
    I watch netflix a lot more than prime video because of that.