Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9708 Posts: 5,302Member
    Rest of those lifeboats.
    galaxy-0339.jpg
    Billynom8FreakP5ych0p4thashleytingersrspicerLeoBerlinLizzy777RekkertBolianAdmiralBrandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    I numbered the lifeboat hatches when I did my version of the Ares-class USS Dakota. But that was just 50 in total. I can't imagine what it'd be like to have to number all the ones on the Galaxy-class!

If you did, then I bow to your patience and dedication. If not, then I bow to your pragmatism and ability to maintain sanity.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    edited April 2020 #1714
    Who needs numbered liefeboat hatches in the 24th century? If one needs to navigate to a specific hatch from space that hatch could send an id beacon. Just an idea... :)
    Post edited by nightfever on
    edited April 2020 #1715
    Well the hatches are attached to the ship. So you really only need to know the number on the pod itself. In that fact if you look at real lifeboats/pods they are not a fixed object or something designated for that slot. They expire. So you would have to refit or restore or replace them every X years. This means the pod in hatch 132 could be any number of pods over the 8 or so years this ship was in service. I do not see a logistics nightmare of pulling a pod from a slot refitting then replacing. I see them pulled as they expire and replaced on the spot with a existing good unit. So one of those many things done at these starbase pitstops.

Why have numbered pods, to track them after an event or to trace plain old maintenance cycles. As for the hatches. Maybe having a visual cue to it would matter to some degree but as said location of the hatch on the hull or having a transponder or even something stupid like a QR code or similar optical marking would suffice to say locate pod 228 on the ship.

So long and short means ship name registry etc wont matter much on a hatch. Yes having it marked on any part of the hull like a vin number is a thing but having it in a 100ft visual size is not. So it means Ill not be putting that stuff on the hatches. lol

ugh loath how similes are activated sans a :

Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    edited April 2020 #1716
    Those stupid pocket windows. Hate these as I have to do all sorts of ugly things to get the smooth transitions and guess at the angles involved. Closest I can come is matching to those photos hoping I have a similar focal length etc. Dunno how those openings could have usable rooms with all those lifeboat hatches nearby. Maybe there is enough clearance. I will find out when I cut the windows and build rooms there.
    galaxy-0343.jpg
    galaxy-0344.jpg
    P5ych0p4thFreakBillynom8Lizzy777
    Corrected the angles. Looking at some images looks like the top side of the inset is FLAT to the world. so I am going with that loosely for these openings and it seems to work better with the depth to most images. Original image I used I think had some distortion or something else going on to make them look deeper. Windows look fat as they do not account for insets and bezels. They SHOULD once modeled in appear as narrow as the models to.
    galaxy-0345.jpg

one thing I have not seen in show is any room from down here. We see a lot of top saucer rooms with those braces etc. Anyone know if they ever show any of these below centerline rooms? Thinking mostly of any basic or generic bulkheads I can model to give some sense of crap behind the windows.
    7b07d4ccc0f15e0a6b6f6225b2f3ab8f.jpg
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/07/d4/7b07d4ccc0f15e0a6b6f6225b2f3ab8f.jpg
    Billynom8Lizzy777Freak
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Closest that they showed was 10 Forward.

I imagine if you flipped the set outer wall upside down you'd get a good approximation for the underside rooms.
    Rekkert
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited April 2020 #1719
    Or with gravity plating, we never knew it but everyone on the bottom half of the saucer was upside down. There is no up or down in space. On our own planet, someone walking on Antarctica is 180 degree reversed from someone on the ice in the Arctic. The turbolifts and their gravity plating could seamlessly flip you when you go to those decks.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    IIRC the only times Trek ever showed rooms further "below the belt" were that scene in First Contact where Picard shows Lily that they're in space and that scene in Voyager's "Good Shepherd", deep in the cramped bowels of the ship, where it's just tons of machinery and some glorified closets in-between.
  • tondemonaitondemonai173 Posts: 26Member
    Without looking at the blues, could the windows next to the lifeboat hatches be hallway windows? That way you'd have the interior door to the pod and windows, in the same hallway. Again - if the blues show a room there, please disregard. Just a thought.
    edited April 2020 #1722
    Ok massive errors on my part by blindly following ortho blues and ortho renders.
    1 grids do not seem to match anything on the plans. Could be lens distortion and looking at it in perspective. Need to compare to my model.
    2 note spacing on lifeboats is consistent. YES, this is generations where the boats might not be exactly where they WERE. Photos are not good enough to see the old boat locations as they were just painted over.
    3 Biggest error are those window cut outs. Almost everything shows them close to the lower panel edge. Real model they are the opposite. Note amber lines and my renders(if you do not have orthos and blues to compare)

ent-d-oops.jpg

Either way oops so all of this week's work is being flushed as well as I think most of the work gridding the lower saucer. The upper might fail as well all depends on if I can find a photo with enough side lighting to make the grids show up. Most shots they are lost in paint or pattern. Or just sanded off.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    So sorry. Boy are you doing a good job.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    I'm really sorry for that.
    Happy Holidays
    holidays?? lol corona-chan holidays? guess so as multiple contracts got cancelled.

Roughly back to where I was. Grids are a bit off but I do not have images enough to deem if changing grid angles along the hull are in evidence to align things to match what I do have that is in focus or shot with light in a way I can see the grids. I do have to re-spin at least those inner lifeboats to better match to the adjusted cut outs.
    galaxy-0347.jpg
    I also need to dig around in my records to find my old AMT model paint guides. Apparently Mr. Probert was very involved with them and they replicated the paneling pretty close. So far scans I have found are all lacking. Though thinking of it round2 might have online PDFs. Have to check that out later on.

Bites that it was AFTER I left Seattle that the D was bought and shown at the SF Museum there. Woulda liked to see the metallic finish they did for generations as the cristies photos just make it look pretty flat. Also discovered only the top saucer registries have a TAILED D everywhere else it is the tailless D.
    Billynom8Lizzy777
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    I meant happy Easter.
    Do you have a curfew?
    edited April 2020 #1727
    Ah I see I do not keep track of that stuff. But thank you anyway. I rarely even pay attention to gov paid holidays anymore either. Only ones I pay attention to are xmas for the annoyance in shops and halloween for the cheap junk food.

I thought you meant a holiday as many are treating this corona thing like one. Richer people are getting a paid holiday pretty much. Most people I know in retail are a month or more in debt as most were fired as most retail is closed up.

curfew? uh it has been over 20 years since I was young enough for that. (yes the US has a under 18 or 21 curfew of 9 or 10pm) Unless your meaning a state enforced martial law. Which I have not heard anything about. SF, the bay area and LA was hit pretty hard, but afaik not as bad as Seattle. I knew a few people there whom have died from it so far. (reason that one avvie went away) It is mostly first world issues here. Like no eggs, no TP, no milk and nothing related to baking.

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    MKF, I don’t know if these will be of any use to you, but here you go:

159-AD3-D6-CEB6-4-ABB-8565-7-FFEF295-EA3-A.jpg

91-CE0-A3-D-E487-4-E0-D-B750-185711-FAF2-D7.jpg
    ashleytingerlewisnivenBillynom8MadKoiFish
  • Billynom8Billynom8186 Posts: 44Member
    Man! I wish I still had my assembly sheet. I took it out to have it scanned, put it in a safe place, never got around to it. now i cant remember where that safe place was. :'(
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    The odd thing about these model instructions, is that not only do they not show those alcove windows on the bottom saucer, but they also don’t show the two big clusters of square windows behind the main shuttlebay, either. Add to that, that the aztec shading is not perfectly aligned on the sheets.
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    I'm going to be honest I'm glad you spotted that before I cut those window insets in because I'd have fallen down the same hole! :)
    BolianAdmiral
    ah man I had hoped it would have shown the detail on the bridge module. Conflicting details on that. I am coming to the conclusion the 4fter was done in a whatever way. Seen a few old images with drawings of triangles on that area but none are conclusive enough to see anything else. I still have to find mine I do not remember them being so dark. BUT I do not remember exactly what condition mine are in. I might have marked them all up or done who knows what. As for missing details I think that was on purpose so that you could decern the painting details. But who knows. Anyhow supposedly little in jokes were reproduced in these painting schemes.

Yeah, I did not expect to stumble on things like that. So I have to be more diligent. In someways this is far harder to match than the tos connie was. All the data was done to death on that ship so all I had to do is decide which I was going to follow and ignore. (like that wheenus on the sensor dome) This thing (the D) there is just a few images and a lot of drawings. Then a lot of photos from post Generations.
    BolianAdmiral
    Ok mess of images with little update. Mostly respun those lifeboats and gouging in thoe large cutouts. Do not like how the windows sit on the one end. It is more example of how I think the grids are not right to the original or they tilted those windows to make them align. SO I either have to live with the odd look or recut the opening and ignore the angles of the cutout vs the hull grid. I have not compared this area on the orthos or other 3d models out there to see how those dealt with it.

galaxy-0350.jpg
    galaxy-0351.jpg

HOWEVER these renders really show how the girsd are off. Least they feel off.
    FreakLizzy777merritt258
  • Billynom8Billynom8186 Posts: 44Member
    Is it just me or do those life boats looks smaller then in that photo above?

Damn! It seems Ive made the same mistake as you have with the cutout windows.
    However, i have managed to align the lifeboats with the grid.

6im2o7yok52d.png
    FreakLizzy777
    I have sized mine to a few photos that line up. The boat decals are a issue as I think some of them are tapered. Mine it is likely the frame AO thats making them look smaller. They are roughly the same size as the openings of the cutouts and match the photo.
    galaxy-0352.jpg

Also to note found a fix for the damned tooltips getting in the way of changing the viewport tools. EG the tools in the lower right of max. Since moving to win10 the tool tips would cause clicks to select these tools to fail. So I would change tools and still have the old one and end up screwing up the mesh positions etc depending on what was selected prior.
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1884-mouse-hover-time-change.html
    This seems to fix it I set it to 10ms. The old win7 fix of disabling tooltip animation does not work in win10. Dunno why max has not fixed this over the years. Been a issue since ver 10 I think, NOT max2010 but ver 10.

Dunno wtf is with my grids, they match tobias orthos and those closely match the 2 blueprints out there. I have noticed most of the 3d models have the girds like mine. Just irks me that no matter what I di the only way to fix it is to have the cut going into the hull change directions. ATM I am slicing it from the edge inward. Anyhow as mentioned before I have not found any photographic evidence to prove my idea so I am not sure of applying it.
    Ok nix that I followed Tobias' orthos for the oval that contains the cago doors and yacht. I think this is where I went wrong. If you follow the oval of the blueprints you get a more even grid alignment interfacing to the oval area that contains those cargo doors.

Also I refuse to visually align the pods. I am making them align based on the curvature of the hull. EG they are spinning from a spline pulled from the mesh so they align centrally to the avg of the curve. Only things I am aligning by hand are the windows. I would rather have the boats be slightly off angle vs having them visually be wonk cause I manually rotated them to fit the grids. EG side profile you would see the boats not lining up etc. Again this is a issue of something physical you can just stick em on and eyeball. I just really do not want to do that. not to mention getting them uneven to the hull surface will show in shadows and ao cast. Though most of that could be fudged in texturing as I plan to grime the hull around the hatches.
    Billynom8FreakLizzy777merritt258
    Here is why I mention if there was any attempt to visualize the bracing in the lower deck rooms. The angles are just really useless. A good space of 15 to 20ft of useless volume.

galaxy-0353.png
    you cannot just "invert" what was seen in the upper decks to easily. For now I think I will replicate what I did for the central yacht waiting rooms. I guess what would really work best is a large 2 floor loft like space. Where a upper gantry level can overlook the windows.
    Billynom8FreakLizzy777merritt258
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looking good Dan, gantry level seem the way to go.
    Look forward to seeing what you do.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    ...Most people I know in retail are a month or more in debt as most were fired as most retail is closed up.

It amazes me how much the US and the UK are different and yet have so much in common.
    Employment law is one of those big difference.
    People being laid off as a store is closed because of a government enforcement would not fly here in the UK, weather your taking on a part time Job or full time. You get a contract which will cover you for this sort of thing. If the company your working for is unable to pay then the government is giving you 80% of your monthly wages. (there is a cap on the amount, I think if you earn over 2K a month, then they will only give you 80% of that. Anyone earning over I think 50K per month is not getting anything. But that is only for people currently unable to work.)
    Once everything goes back to normal you won't have to reapply for your job.

There is also a reason why people are only getting 80% of there monthly income. unlike the States our employers have to pay 23.5% of our monthly wage to the government in TAXES. This is so we don't have to do our own taxes each year like you guys do. The only people that have to do that are the self employed.
    It one less thing to worry about, and you know the government is not going to rip you off as you already know how much they are going to take.
    23% heh we pay 40% unless your rich mostly loop holes or write offs reasons why rich donate so much. The US rich have fought balanced taxes for decades. It would cut a huge spending hole for tax companies and lock out all the loop holes those earning 200k+ a year. It would never happen. I would love for a 23% tax over what we pay here. Personally if everyone had to pay 23% or even 30% flat rate on gross income there would be a lot more wealth for all. And the state would have the cash they need, then again they probably would funnel it all to military spending or something stupid as well.

There was a bill out to give 2k a mo to each individual and some other things along with a lock of all bill collection. Now as for how fair that is I dunno as I did not see restrictions of this payout. I have not followed up on it since I heard about it as usually I fall outside of these benefits.

All retail jobs are hourly, no hours, no pay. period. In the US your not guaranteed income, property, food or housing. You cannot pay rent etc you live on the street.

Speaking of taxes recently they (rich people) passed a law stating you MUST have healthcare coverage or suffer tax fines. Sadly for many this means 600~800usd a month, more if your over 50. My mother while in that gap between senior gov healthcare had to look at coverage and was quoted something like 1300usd a mo back in 2010.

go fig.

• JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    23% heh we pay 40% unless your rich mostly loop holes or write offs reasons why rich donate so much. The US rich have fought balanced taxes for decades. It would cut a huge spending hole for tax companies and lock out all the loop holes those earning 200k+ a year. It would never happen. I would love for a 23% tax over what we pay here. Personally if everyone had to pay 23% or even 30% flat rate on gross income there would be a lot more wealth for all. And the state would have the cash they need, then again they probably would funnel it all to military spending or something stupid as well.

There was a bill out to give 2k a mo to each individual and some other things along with a lock of all bill collection. Now as for how fair that is I dunno as I did not see restrictions of this payout. I have not followed up on it since I heard about it as usually I fall outside of these benefits.

All retail jobs are hourly, no hours, no pay. period. In the US your not guaranteed income, property, food or housing. You cannot pay rent etc you live on the street.

Speaking of taxes recently they (rich people) passed a law stating you MUST have healthcare coverage or suffer tax fines. Sadly for many this means 600~800usd a month, more if your over 50. My mother while in that gap between senior gov healthcare had to look at coverage and was quoted something like 1300usd a mo back in 2010.

go fig.

If people in the USA don't demand changes after all this is over, something is seriously wrong with what they are willing to accept, and the actual cost to life as well. This damned virus has made it clear that healthcare needs to be universal and it needs to work in a unified way so that situations like this don't cause the problems that have been seen on your side of the Atlantic.

Ok, rant over.

The mesh is looking, as always, amazing. I like your rationalization and reasoning for the changes you have made - yes, it's one thing to put something on the blueprints, it's another when faced with the cold reality of fitting everything in so it works.
    ashleytinger
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    All I can say is thanks god we don't have your healthcare system.
    With my heath issues, I would be paying though the noise all the time.

Here in the UK part of the 23% the government takes goes to the NHS, on your pay slip it tell you how much goes on NHS and how much is for everything else.

As for store worker. It depends on the company, some will do salary pay this is normally full time employees.
    Part time tend to be on hourly pay, but you are still contracted to do curtain number of hours per week.
    The only people that don't have this are those that are on Zero Hour Contact. Basically they only get paid for the work and that if the company they work for has any work.
    The Government are going to get rid of this sort of contract.
    Jayru
    edited April 2020 #1741
    Issue in the US is power is in votes but votes are skewed and broken. It is useless when your options are shit, dried shit, and runny like piss shit. Shit is still shit. They wont care unless it is them suffering. People today sheep to what they are told and just accept it as part of modern life. Look at what they sign away in TOS agreements.

People have been demanding change for a long time, nothing has come of it. Closest we got was Obama care. Too many brainwashed gits out there who scream SOCIALIST at every turn or who think selfishly and get angry when they see another race or "class" of person getting an advantage or care over them.

Hell look at the Trump Impeachment. All the votes. Always skewed along political lines vs any truth. Blind voting cause he is your buddy or your foe. Republican vs Democrat, it is stupidity at it's finest. Complete lack of unbiased voting.

ANYHOW uh heh.
    Here is a rough idea of what I thought I would do. It is really low poly and chunky but as something you see bits of through a window it should do better than a ceiling view. Here is a side inward and a view with a dummy ext hull. I should be able to adapt these to most of the interior rooms fairly easily. Going to have to think of something for the rim glass. I an mote sure if I can do 10forward as it was in the show due to clearances. But who knows it will take me looking at that part of the ship to know.

galaxy-0354.jpg
    galaxy-0355.jpg
    Billynom8FreakashleytingerJayrumerritt258