Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBSG Viper Redo

japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
edited May 2020 in Work in Progress #1
Recently with everyone seemingly having more time on their hands, especially in Seattle, I've been going through some old projects. I decided to take more modern software and re-texture my Battlestar Galactica Viper model from like...13 years ago (wow). I reunwrapped everything, remodeled a few things, and brought it into Substance Painter (I love Painter and Designer! It has made texturing way more fun). I'm gonna try to make a bit of a cockpit and pilot as well, which I never really did properly. It's been great fun revisiting this fun model! Some of the dirt and grime is still WIP, and I will eventually add some Phoenix simulated exhaust.

(Updated: a newer front page render)
8d35vdpx7ue3.png
Post edited by Guerrilla on
evil_genius_180scifiericRekkertWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFreakLizzy777Brandenbergsrspicer

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's looking really nice. If you hadn't told me it was 13 years old, I'd never have known.
    japetus wrote: »
    Recently with everyone seemingly having more time on their hands,

Not everyone. Some of us are still working 40 hours a week so that the rest of you can still buy toilet paper, hand sanitizer and dry groceries.
    scifiericLizzy777
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Not everyone. Some of us are still working 40 hours a week so that the rest of you can still buy toilet paper, hand sanitizer and dry groceries.
    Sorry if that sounded flippant, my wife and I are still working 40 hours or more a week and taking care of a 5 year old, but working from home saves me 1.5 hours of commuting a day, so i guess that's the time saved
    Also, sorry if it was unclear, those are the new renders with new textures, not a huge difference from the old textures, but Painter didnt exist back then. It sure went faster this time.
    Sorry if that sounded flippant, my wife and I are still working 40 hours or more a week and taking care of a 5 year old, but working from home saves me 1.5 hours of commuting a day, so i guess that's the time saved

I didn't think it sounded flippant, but there are people who seem to think the whole world has stopped just because they're staying home. I'm an overnight manager at a Walmart, so there's no working from home for me. I have an hour commute, but I also get there an hour early. (I need to get a car) So, it's actually been business as usual for me, except the store closes before I get there and opens about the time I'm leaving.
    scifieric
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    That is a great Viper.
    didn't you build the original as well?
    People like you are totally amazing right now keeping your businesses running and putting yourselves in harm's way for others. I'm sure that that is nothing new for you, but know that I at least appreciate it. I agree people need to calm the heck down about their shopping and just let the supplies catch up everyone can have their fair share. It's been disgusting to watch the selfishness of some people, especially the TP and water, makes no sense. Stay safe out there.
    Freak wrote: »
    That is a great Viper.
    didn't you build the original as well?

I did not, but I wish I had! Thanks
    People like you are totally amazing right now keeping your businesses running and putting yourselves in harm's way for others. I'm sure that that is nothing new for you, but know that I at least appreciate it. I agree people need to calm the heck down about their shopping and just let the supplies catch up everyone can have their fair share. It's been disgusting to watch the selfishness of some people, especially the TP and water, makes no sense. Stay safe out there.

Ironically, I went to Kroger yesterday and scored some TP. I haven't been able to get any in the store I work in. :eyeroll:
    scifieric
    @evil_genius_180 next time some stock come in, just grab a pack and put it to one side so you can buy it at the end of your shift. ;)
    @evil_genius_180 next time some stock come in, just grab a pack and put it to one side so you can buy it at the end of your shift. ;)

It comes in before I get there and it was selling out before I was getting there. Last night we actually had some.
    scifieric
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited March 2020 #12
    I didn't think it sounded flippant, but there are people who seem to think the whole world has stopped just because they're staying home. I'm an overnight manager at a Walmart, so there's no working from home for me. I have an hour commute, but I also get there an hour early. (I need to get a car) So, it's actually been business as usual for me, except the store closes before I get there and opens about the time I'm leaving.

Yay. @evil_genius_180 Less likely to be exposed with those hours.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    scifieric
    Nice work on the Viper @japetus. I looked at Substance painter. A slick looking program. Really slick. I wish it wasn't by subscription. $250 a year?
    Nice work on the Viper @japetus. I looked at Substance painter. A slick looking program. Really slick. I wish it wasn't by subscription. $250 a year?

I think it's a great program, not without its annoyances, but they update it constantly so I guess it's good for a subscription model that way. I am able to use it because my work has it, but they have a few subscription models that may be cheaper. It makes texturing a ton of fun, and flexible
    edited April 2020 #15
    Well as I thought would happen, this project turned into a lot of remodelings. I suppose that means I've improved over 13 years! =) Has anyone tried to use Google Drive to share images to forums? I'm testing that out instead of my own FTP...
    Post edited by japetus on
    Almost done remodeling the outside. Will probably improve the engine greebles also...probably need to model some more screws and detail in the cockpit too, but trying to not go too overboard!

viper1.jpg
    viper2.jpg
    viper3.jpg
    viper4.jpg
    xiaorobearFreakevil_genius_180Lizzy777MadKoiFishsrspicerBrandenberg
    Nice, the details look great and it not over kill with them.
    Did the landing gear as best I could today, I'll probably end up rigging it too cuz I can't help myself!

viper5.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777FreaksrspicerBrandenberg
    Looking good.

This is usually what happens when I decide to do a quick revamp of my models too. I usually wind up doing a partial or total rebuild.
    edited April 2020 #20
    Yeah it feels good to get the landing gear in there, which it never was, and cutting the appropriate holes into the body, all with subd surfaces which takes a bit!
    edited April 2020 #21
    Finished detail the side of the engines..
    viper6.jpg
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777srspicerBrandenberg
    Tried to get something similar to some BSG exhaust, simulated with Phoenix.
    exhaust-test1.jpg

Lizzy777evil_genius_180FreaksrspicerRedeyes
    I like that!
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Very nice work!!
    srspicer wrote: »
    Very nice work!!
    I like that!

Agreed, me too.
    Here are some renders from Substance now with the new texture! I may have gone overboard on the damage, but it is pretty much what they looked like at the end of the series!
    viper_10.jpg
    viper_11.jpg
    viper_12.jpg
    viper_13.jpg
    evil_genius_180srspicerLizzy777xiaorobearFreakRedeyesMadKoiFish
    Naw, it looks great. Very used, as it should. These were the older Vipers on the series anyway.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Wow, fantastic! I zoomed in on the last image, and the paint has thickness around all of the scratches with the metal showing thru, awesome.
    This looks great and not too much damage.
    Went a little overboard and modeled the joystick in zbrush, for fun and practice! Also some updated textures, forgot some logos before, and added some more burns and dirt and balanced some colors. Exterior seems to be done...so I moved onto the cockpit which is almost there. I might add screws with an IMM brush in zbrush or just texture them on in Substance, we'll see.Need to add some folds to the seat cushion too...
    joystick_new.png
    viper_turntable_comp-v01.0001.png

ashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180Freaksrspicer
    Damn, that's nice. Details like this are so cool because not everyone goes to that level of detail.