Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarCraft ships

2»

• xiaorobearxiaorobear682 Posts: 171Member
    edited September 2019 #32
    Learned how to sculpt in Blender 2.8, here is a Zergling I am working on to go with the hydralisk!
    https://gfycat.com/goldengiftedaldabratortoise

lonedeafeningibizanhound.gif
    Post edited by xiaorobear on
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Image embed didn't work, but damn, that's really nice sculpting! B)
    Thank you! And thanks for the heads up, darn embed. Here is a still image. Just the feet to go!

WLgFFB3.jpg
    Lizzy777
    Retopoing the Zergling... it's boring! But then I can animate it.

I also started texturing a head to go in my in-progress marine armor. Not planning on animating the face, maybe an eyebrow raise and a blink if I absolutely have to.
    Still need to add wrinkles, maybe some chapped lips, a scar or some bad skin for asymmetry.
    MGUEfox.png
    Dystopian futures are not a place to have a good time.
    FreakLizzy777
    edited October 2019 #36
    Ok, back to space for a minute. There is a small craft in SC1 that looks about halfway between shuttlepod and shipping container. The original model was very very simple, but I'm going to use it as an opportunity to do some proper greebling, so I can try out some procedural texture techniques.

lPlO1dV.png
    rRdhTqt.png

I also revisited a lava planet matte painting that I will hopefully put the shippingpod / shuttle container in front of.
    J6C4m2P.jpg

It seems like all planetary orbit shots always have the planet totally in focus. Why is that?
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
    shuttle-crate update:
    Vuj2Q1n.jpg
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    That's from the end of the Terran campaign, isn't it? Just before the default 3ds max fireball explosion from back in the day. :p

Anyway, good start on the crate.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    edited October 2019 #39
    Thanks! And yes, that is exactly where that screenshot is from. However the same model is also reused at the start of the "Battle on the Amerigo" cinematic, as a transport for a small infantry/demolitions team to an abandoned science vessel. So that's why I don't know if it should be more shuttlepod or cargo container. Could be both using the same basic ship frame.

More small progress:
    AxtqozL.jpg

I think I might try adding a ring of fabric around the docking airlock area, since fabric ships are all the rage these days. But that might be straying a bit too far from the original StarCraft aesthetic, which is all rusty metal and no fabric.
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
    No textures yet, but dropped the model so far into Blender 2.8 and tried to do a little light and post processing. Learning as I go- this is probably too much glare.

D7XdB5Q.png
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    xiaorobear wrote: »
    No textures yet, but dropped the model so far into Blender 2.8 and tried to do a little light and post processing. Learning as I go- this is probably too much glare.

Not too much if you're trying to do JJ Abrams style Trek. High contrast, over-saturation, and a heavy reliance on lens flares!

xiaorobear
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Making a little more progress! And added some ambient score in garageband.

I'd still like to add some more space dust or something to add more depth. This is also rendered in Eevee, not Cycles, for faster iteration. And there will be a few more details and higher res textures for the final.
    Lizzy777FreakMcCBrandenberg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very Cool!
    xiaorobear
    edited October 2019 #44
    Here is another update, with more detail and higher res textures for the pod, and some voice acting.

I could not be more pleased with substance painter for this- I was able to add rust, wear, and grime, and overlay those varied rectangular panels all procedurally. I was originally planning on modeling more detail but given how dark the clip is I think I'm pretty much set.

OW2AVcg.png

Only downside is for Painter I do still need to UV unwrap and bake maps of any ship, so while I could apply this same material to a giant capital ship, I still have to UV it. Or automatic UV and just use extremely high res textures...
    Lizzy777FreakMcCBrandenberg
    edited November 2019 #45
    Started texturing my zergling model this weekend. Retopoing it was a big pain. It's still unnecessarily high poly, ~26000 tris, but a lot more of that could have just come from the normal map.

JmcZCjJ.png

And some spooky lighting:
    e09GJKK.jpg
    Lizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    edited November 2019 #46
    Building off of the Substance Painter smart materials I've made above, I can now turnaround low-detail ship textures very fast. Here is an update of a very old 2700 tri model with PBR textures. It's a little quick and dirty, and some of those procedurally-placed stains or rust are a little bit of overkill, but if you're never seeing this ship up close it's pretty cool.

9wuxcAK.png

Lizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    This workflow also lets me grab old models I did 5+ years ago before I knew what I was doing and bring them up to a passable state for distant viewing- or one of those 3d size comparisons, which I always love. Here is an early preview of one- I will add more stuff to it!

https://gfycat.com/enragedvelvetybellsnake

And a couple screencaps since you can't embed Gfycat gifvs here. Also a T-70 X-wing I made back before Last Jedi came out for some comparison with Star Wars scale.
    z7g99XN.png
    Wq3BGPQ.png
    EflFCOZ.png

Super happy that Blender Eevee exists as I'm able to render this on my laptop in minutes instead of days.
    Lizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    Another low poly capital ship, the Minotaur-class Battlecruiser. Getting better!

Qx2B6t8.gif
    FreakLizzy777Brandenberg
    Also working on texturing a Devourer, one of the Zerg space bugs.

McMvSLx.jpg
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Awesome work, love Starcraft great series! Keep up the great work I look forward to seeing more.
    xiaorobear
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Way better than the original.
    edited March 2020 #52
    Modeled another Zerg unit, the Defiler, and started texturing.

FngiHhR.jpg

hVnpEOo.jpg

I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. Fortunately my company has encouraged working from home.
    Lizzy777Comco
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Love this!! Big SC fan, always wanted to see more from these great designs! You are nailing it!
    xiaorobear
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Maybe I missed it, have you started any Protoss? They are my favorite
    Ty! I have done a handful of Protoss in the past, but I am not as good at them. I have done a dragoon and phoenix that you can see in this video, and a few others either in progress or old and not up to my current standards. But, there is another very talented StarCraft fan artist, Nak Ma, you may be interested in. He is much better at fast hard surface modeling. Since he is focusing on terran and protoss ships, for the time being I agreed with him to focus on more Zerg, so that our work complements each other instead of competing. :D

Here is his artstation, with lots of impressive Protoss work in there.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Some really impressive work! Love that latest Zerg. You've nailed the SC 2 look and feel there, IMO.

It's very cool to see the improvement in your technique over the years in this thread. Looking forward to more updates. :)
    xiaorobear
    Thanks for the kind comments!

The improvements come in short bursts. It's very easy for me to become complacent and churn out quantity over quality, because that keeps it a relaxing hobby. I've gotten feedback from peers though (especially to those terran units) that the lower quality ones are hurting their value as portfolio pieces.

Right now that Star Wars thread of mine is where I'm trying to push to a higher level of material realism, with better use of real-world references, but that's harder to make progress on. So, here is another SC1 Zerg unit, the queen. Definitely not photoreal, and up close it is very clear how indistinct / lacking the transitions between different surfaces and body parts are. But, it's another unit I'm happy to have rounding out the group.

AnimatedThoroughHoneyeater.gif

A handful few more and I will have a model for every SC1 zerg unit. That is a fun milestone! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Lizzy777FreakComco
    I am still occasionally chipping away at these, working on some animation stuff recently. Here are the beginnings of an idle animation for the Hydralisk, baked down to a realtime ready model along with updated textures.

giphy.gif

Ideally planning to have these ready for Unreal so that there can be an interactive / navigable scale demo scene.
    Nathan RubricFreakLizzy777japetus