Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAshley's Star Trek WIP Thread

• ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    That looks great. I love the cartoony style.

Ugh, job hunting can be such a pain. Good luck with that.

Thanks! I had this set of character meshes kicking around for a long while now and inspiration struck. ;)

It's been.. unfruitful. I had a follow up interview with one company and I like them but I haven't heard back yet this week. Meh.
    furswift wrote: »
    This is great. It looks so alive and vibrant. :)

Thank you! Yeah I didn't want this to feel flat at all.
    Freak wrote: »
    If they where to do a TOS animated show. I love it if they did it in this styling.

Oh I would absolutely love that. =)

More work on the Aries interiors

uss_aries_bridge_by_ashleytinger_ddrwlsi-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjMzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHJ3bHNpLTE1OTAwYWM4LThmNTEtNDdhYi05MTllLTExMzZmZTZjYzM1MC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.bp66HLV2tonCYErnF5bsRx8rFJngRewy84pJawEeSvE

Going by the logic that a smaller ship will have a smaller crew and more specified needs, a degree of automation was planned into the Aries design and a new bridge set-up was developed and implemented in the Zodiac class. This configuration would soon be deployed to the Saladin class and would be used on several ships in different forms well into the 24 century as a Battle Bridge. While ships much larger would need up to 10 stations on their bridge including the Captain, the Zodiac bridge could smoothly operate with 6 crew including her Captain.

So yes, this is a minor redress of the Sephora bridge I built and released last year. I had to do some minor graphics changes to reflect the different ship design, none of which can be seen in the shot, which I find hilarious considering I was so concerned the Saladin graphics would show. I literally spent more time editing the graphics than I did posing the characters. >_<

throwback_transporter_room_revamp_by_ashleytinger_dds64t5-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjM0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHM2NHQ1LTg4YzM2ZDI0LWRiZmEtNGUzMC05Zjg2LTU4ZWFlYTNiNTYwYy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.mGDCW1fCR6UNQwJ7Flz0zsG3gHOggueTppNWD6dJjp0

Continuing with my existing set re-dresses for the Aries, this was the Transporter Room I'd built for a hypothetical Destroyer set between the launch of the Connie in 2245 and the refit in 2271. Yeah this set is like 3 years old now and when I loaded it up in DAZ it showed it's age. Still usable, but boy have my design ideas changed a LOT since then. Rather than take the whole room back to Technology Original Standard, I opted to refurbish my consoles, both the Engineering Access Consoles and the Transporter Console itself and made them fit TOS a bit better.

uss_aries_transporter_room_by_ashleytinger_dds7n29-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjM0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHM3bjI5LTc1Y2RjMzhhLTJiNTItNDVlNi1iNGE2LWI0YzY3Yzk3NmM1Ny5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.85-T0g-SWMuT-qifpxpCxaX3g9dbgd_p4PTf1F36pMg

And a shot of the Transporter actually in use. Yes, all the lights on the panels 'work' and so do the set of three slider controls. ;) I do need to tweak the emission settings on the central and side displays on the console though.

P5ych0p4thlewisnivenevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBrandenbergMcCmerritt258
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the smaller bridge for smaller ships. I could see a huge ship like the Constitution class ships needing more bridge stations because of all of the functions the vessel performed. But, a ship with a more specialized role probably wouldn't have needed as many. The transporter room also looks nice.
    It's been.. unfruitful. I had a follow up interview with one company and I like them but I haven't heard back yet this week. Meh.

That's the worst part, where you do the interview(s) and then you don't hear back. You don't know what's up, you try calling and still get nothing. Such a huge pain. I hope you hear back from them. One way or the other, you should hear back, but companies have gotten so bad about not letting you know if you didn't get the job.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited March 2020 #274
    You make me think of a Star Trek Series idea. What if you had a series where all the bridge officers were female? Or maybe all female except for one outnumbered male (not captain). And yeah, there needs to be an Andorian.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I really like the bridge of this ship!
    I like the smaller bridge for smaller ships. I could see a huge ship like the Constitution class ships needing more bridge stations because of all of the functions the vessel performed. But, a ship with a more specialized role probably wouldn't have needed as many. The transporter room also looks nice.

That's the worst part, where you do the interview(s) and then you don't hear back. You don't know what's up, you try calling and still get nothing. Such a huge pain. I hope you hear back from them. One way or the other, you should hear back, but companies have gotten so bad about not letting you know if you didn't get the job.

Yeah I didn't get it. I think their hiring manager got confused with me and someone else as they claim I had no experience working with systems I talked up having worked with and have listed on my resume, but whatever.

I like the smaller bridge because it's easier to manhandle in DAZ ;)
    You make me think of a Star Trek Series idea. What if you had a series where all the bridge officers were female? Or maybe all female except for one outnumbered male (not captain). And yeah, there needs to be an Andorian.

I was looking at my crew roster and I basically flipped the gender ratio on the ship. Well a bit more than that looking at the numbers now. LOL Going by series main cast members, it's usually 2 men to 1 woman. I'm going 4 women to 1 man. *shrugs*
    I really like the bridge of this ship!

Thank you! I just applied a TOS-ish aesthetic to the bones of the Enterprise C bridge layout ;)
    Yeah I didn't get it. I think their hiring manager got confused with me and someone else as they claim I had no experience working with systems I talked up having worked with and have listed on my resume, but whatever.

I'm sorry to hear that. Either they confused you with someone else or were just trying to come up with an excuse, lame as it is.
    edited March 2020 #278
    Well I've been busy. ;) First up is another redress of the Briefing Room set by swapping out a wall with another, slightly different lighting and a new paint scheme and furniture.

uss_aries_coffee_lounge_by_ashleytinger_ddseulr-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjMzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHNldWxyLTM1OTZlYTQyLWI2NzUtNDdhZC1iOTA4LWRjYjcyZDQ5NGQ5NS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19._Yk5upLBeZQGArrqCStFFvFxiS51MAW76X2twUi4tRg

One of the things Captain Avril Galven insisted on having on the ship, was a proper coffee dispenser. What she got was a top of the line replicator that could have any type of coffee or coffeehouse style the end user wanted. She decided to drop it in the main lounge on board the Aries so that the crew could partake in her joy as well, giving this room the moniker "Coffee Lounge" by the crew. With several comfy chairs, a nice couch, a variety of games, PADDs with all the current literature from every species aboard, as well as a nice selection of actual paper books, the "Coffee Lounge" became a favorite off-duty spot. Especially if you wanted to get a glimpse of the Captain out of uniform. A rarity indeed.

I'm still a little annoyed the bookshelves reverted to an old low poly version, but I haven't fixed it yet either, so.. meh.

ddsy68v-66bd4085-6891-442b-a1ff-af5e622d31ca.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ZhYzQ1MmE2LTBiYTMtNGIzYS05MTE1LTQ5NWM4NjAxYTc3M1wvZGRzeTY4di02NmJkNDA4NS02ODkxLTQ0MmItYTFmZi1hZjVlNjIyZDMxY2EuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.NBNeJ6k9afRbGWyiZ2EMOznxqG4n0mQx-cO1KoeC7Ic

Part of what took me so long was researching and modeling a TOS style crash cart. After some advice from both Donny and Rekkert, I ended up going my own way a bit. Some of the equipment on the cart is from a freebie set over on sharecg GeorgeHaze put up. I built a new tricorder, split the difference between the TMP version's shape and the TOS buttons and screen. New hypspray using the same dimensions as McCoy's but using some more modern ideas that got carried over into Discovery but I went with a more TOS flourish with it. Then of course a hypospray mixing device and a double heart monitor and defibrilator.

And now on to Sickbay itself...

uss_aries_sickbay_entrance_by_ashleytinger_ddt33k8-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjMzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHQzM2s4LWUwOWU4Y2NlLWUzOTYtNDQ3OC1hZWYxLTNjOGM2YzliNGQzZS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.tyLopZ5ODUJfcoeXLaybLqObOxCM2i3uJ3nlgj3gmKE

In order to provide some privacy to patients in sickbay as well as a more secure and sterile environment, the USS Aries Sickbay has a lobby at the entrance with a Nurse's station, a small couch for people to wait, and a direct entrance to the Chief Medical Officer's office. Here you can see some anti-viral and anti-bacterial measures in the wall panels based loosely off the technology originally employed by the first cruisers that left Earth with warp drive to help keep down the spread of pathogens among the crew.

uss_aries_sickbay_chief_medical_officer_s_office_by_ashleytinger_ddt4dvs-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjMzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHQ0ZHZzLWI1NjYyMDZmLWUyMzItNGM2Mi04OWJhLTliM2Y4YjJmMTQ3Yi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.8hA8ZzugSh2cFCX8Mh3-5Ztj283b3XDcndGSSAoysS0

With it's own set of doors leading into the lobby and the Exam/Operation room, the Chief Medical Officer's office on the Aries has all the amenities of any of the offices on the bigger ships. It's just lacking it's own lab, but with the advancements in scanners and tricorders, the labs are being needed less and less on the smaller ships. While there is a large window looking into the space, with the press of a few buttons, the CMO can activate a 'blind' that frost's the window over giving full privacy to a patient in for a consult or a nosy Captain that needs to but out of the CMO's business.

uss_aries_sickbay_exam_and_operating_room_by_ashleytinger_ddt5q4g-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjMzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHQ1cTRnLTA3MmM2MWJiLTllZTctNGQ1ZS1iMzNkLWQ2Mjc0YThlNDczNC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.vdkdV9jZfMIr1ZVwoGNrEYVgwJ7xpm5Ynp8dguorK-M

Like it's Constitution Class counter-part, the Aries Exam room in Sickbay doubles as the OR as well as the location of the two cryo-stasis chambers on board. In the inevitable case someone dies in the line of duty, the cryo chambers can be covered with a privacy screen to double as the morgue. Like the Recovery Ward, the Exam/OR contains a crash cart with supplies in case of extreme emergency where the ship may have been over-run or bringing aboard many survivors.

Here the Aries Captain is looking to get something to help her with getting a full nights sleep and no, she will not talk about the copious amounts of coffee she drinks.

uss_aries_sickbay_recovery_ward_by_ashleytinger_ddt716o-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjMzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHQ3MTZvLTRiMjZkYmIzLWM4NDctNDE3Yy1iMDk4LTdhZjRiMjYyNmE3ZS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.7_SuF1rOM54RA7xT4hIQ5rXJa_IgGmVN4Jrk12ZwNnc

As the Aries is a much smaller ship, the Recovery Ward is also much smaller with only 3 beds. Each bed has privacy screens that extend out from the walls as needed and are stowed when there aren't any patients. Each bed is adjustable for height and angle, and in emergency situations, each is equipped with an anti-grav unit to easily transport a patient in the bed over to the OR or cryo-stasis.

I meant to have at least one of the privacy screens out, but alas I didn't lol.
    Post edited by ashleytinger on
    Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180P5ych0p4thLizzy777merritt258
    edited March 2020 #279
    That's a lot of green. Everything looks good, though. I'm a fan of mixing styles, so blending the TOS and TMP tricorders is cool. It's like a "bridging" design. :)

Oh, and I think it should be obvious that having a great coffeemaker is essential. ;)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    That is a lot of green but I like it.
    That's a lot of green. Everything looks good, though. I'm a fan of mixing styles, so blending the TOS and TMP tricorders is cool. It's like a "bridging" design. :)

Oh, and I think it should be obvious that having a great coffeemaker is essential. ;)

It is, but like the other rooms on the ship I wanted a distinct pop of color. I have to admit, I'm really loving that mash of tricorder designs myself and it was a whim thing. lol

I used to not like coffee all that much. I don't know who that person is anymore. ;)
    That is a lot of green but I like it.

Thanks!
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I could watch a 3D animated series like this. It would be fun!

Great work!
    scifieric wrote: »
    I could watch a 3D animated series like this. It would be fun!

Great work!

I so would too! I plan on telling some semi-serious goofy comics with the sets and characters.

I started on the bigger of the 4 rooms I have left to do, Engineering, Crew Quarters, the Science Lab, and, well here's the Aries Arboretum roughed out.

aries_mystery_room_wip_by_ashleytinger_ddtavx6-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NTE5IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHRhdng2LWIzMzRkNTMwLTcwOWEtNDIxMC1iYjQxLTY4MjMxZmExZmVjMC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.eTcRC-R0asT_cfDXKUPlJEXjC4vh0yVl9jEV6f-_T9Q

I'm very aware this is eating up a lot of real estate on a small 5 deck ship, but it functions as a back-up air purifier, a lounge, a place to host visiting dignitaries, and in some cases, science experiments. This is a rough take on it. I've done more work on it, but this is even more complicated than the Engineering set I'd planned. So many plants....

And that frustration and need to create a mirror for it on the opposite side of the saucer led to....

uss_aries_science_lab_by_ashleytinger_ddtha31-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjMzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHRoYTMxLWY3NTc0MWE1LWJjZmUtNDJkZC04ZWJiLTUxMDY3Njc0OTY0My5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.7vZhI4NjagTW0RiV8RJIjf6bF4j52IuWTNjuv0SNlHQ

When the Zodiac Class was conceived by Admiral Nogura, it was meant to be a small, fast, tactical vessel. It was to supplement the larger bulkier vessels with something that was quick hitting and could get out fast and take a beating. While this is what they went for when they were designing the class, politics of the region known as The Triangle changed and a small yet beefy science vessel was needed in the area as the Independent worlds in the Triangle weren't going to allow Heavy Cruisers in the area from any of the Big Three. The Zodiac class fit this bill. It was a class that hadn't been seen in any kind of engagements, had a strong and versatile sensor suite, and with as fast as it was, could traverse the Triangle faster than any other ship in Starfleet. And so all Thirteen of the Zodiac class ended up there eventually.

The last built of her class, the Aries, like her sister ships, had a multi-purpose room on the opposite side of the saucer from the Arboretum. Up until a week from being ready to go on active duty, this room had been completely ignored. On the Zodiac it was treated like a small quiet meditation lounge. The Pisces had gone a completely different direction with the room. That part of the Pisces still remains classified. When it came down to it, the Captain of the Aries decided that if the ship was going to be a "Science" vessel, she needed an actual Science Lab. Several requisitions later and a makeshift set of lab components was ordered and summarily dumped into the room by Operations.

Her instincts paid off as the Federation Council and the Diplomatic Corps decided that the Aries was going to be the poster child for their attempt to bring the Triangle into Federation hands. She only wished she'd asked for more equipment for the lab...

I'd been working on the Arboretum when I realized I'd need a room opposite that one on the saucer rim to match the windows I had there. I didn't want to do a full two deck affair again and simply re-dress the Arboretum, so I hatched a plan to 'cut' the Arboretum in half which ended up with me actually building out the mesh again from scratch as I didn't want a planter on the railing in the Science Lab.

This came together pretty quickly after that as everything else here is re-purposed equipment from my other sets. The Lab Stations are reworked stations from the Civilian Scout's lab. The Science computers are lifted right out of the bridge Science station. Tricorder is recolored from Sickbay, PADDs are re-uses, etc. Trek re-purposing at it's finest. ;) The only other thing that's really new is the telescope on that upper level looking out the windows. And yes, I know the windows wouldn't be comfortable to look out standing up. It's designed to be enjoyed from a lounge chair or couch, which never got delivered to the Science Lab. ;)

P5ych0p4thLizzy777merritt258
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Looks great. I like the two-floor layout (and how thick the windows are 😜) ... all those blue uniforms ... so much Science 🙌
    ashleytinger
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    Looks great. I like the two-floor layout (and how thick the windows are 😜) ... all those blue uniforms ... so much Science 🙌

LOL Thanks!

And now onto the completed room that started the Science Lab

uss_aries_arboretum___cutaway_view_by_ashleytinger_ddtscyz-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjM0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHRzY3l6LWQ4YzVjY2M2LTUwOTYtNDM4Ny05ZDEzLThhYTM3YzQwMmM0ZC5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.F6azVh2vQjcrjVjfOCi1mUbAsG5xU_Ew6IxK5EzhzE8

Like most ships of Starfleet, the Aries also has an Arboretum. Sporting a more unique design than the rest of the fleet, the Zodiac class also has a distinct Arboretum. With support for up to six biomes, the Science team has managed to make several species from across the Federation grow. All designed to help with air purification, they were also chosen for each species appreciation for the plants beauty. Aside from some basic science, and a back-up air purifier, the Arboretum also functions as a another crew lounge along with a place to host visiting dignitaries and VIPs. The front area is kept darker, partly for the Andorian vines, but also to enable more practical stargazing out of the viewports.

Built everything you see here except for:
    The Ivy was randomly generated with Ivy Generator - an open source app - and is custom wound around the parts of the set.
    The rest of the plants are available from DAZ. I decided I just am not in the right mindset to model plants and went with what was available.

More shots of this coming with actual characters in them ;)
    RekkertP5ych0p4thFreakLizzy777merritt258Brandenbergshaved_apescifieric
    The planets really bring the room to life.
    scifieric
    The planets really bring the room to life.

Thank you!

Well I built a brig and security area. Renders of that incoming, but first, a more up close look at the Arboretum.

uss_aries_arboretum_first_level_by_ashleytinger_ddttra2-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjM0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHR0cmEyLTYxZmIyYjRiLTFjNjctNGM1Zi1hYTI4LTJkNDdiODBmMGQ5My5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19._T7PJX9IbE6zUUhrxynjonSy8lyBQ9WXdrRz6uU9ojg

With four main points of entry throughout, the first level of the Aries Arboretum is accessible through a radial spur off the central corridors on Deck 4 and a turbolift access opposite that, partly for quick access from the rest of the ship, but also to accommodate those visitors and crew members with disabilities which allows for quick access between the two main levels of the Arboretum. When there's an event going on there, a turbolift is parked at the entrance to one of the two levels at all times to help facilitate this.

Here the Captain of the Aries, Avril Galven, has pulled the Diplomatic Corps Political Officer aside to lay into her for her actions on board the Aries and to remind her just who is in charge of the ship.

uss_aries_arboretum_observation_area_by_ashleytinger_dduc5vk-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjM0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHVjNXZrLTAwOGU3YTk3LTI4MDctNGVjYi1hODY4LThjZThiYjI5NDQwOS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.2H7MujEams2uQBJIksWakwVnu9d7_1xOCa_rko1sISk

Accessible only by the stairs from either the first or second level of the Arboretum, the Observation Area in the Arboretum is kept mostly unlit so that those who wish to stargaze and observe the space outside the ship without using a monitor can do so. As there is little light here, the botanists on board have taken several underground varieties of plants from Andoria that have also adapted to thrive in a less hostile environment and have them growing in the area just behind the Observation Area.

Yes, I know this area is dark. See stargazing comment and plant requirements above. ;)

uss_aries_arboretum_second_level_by_ashleytinger_dduhv9h-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjM0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHVodjloLWNjOGIwMGQ2LTMwMTUtNGY2NS04MzY3LWQ0MGIzMTU2NGUwMy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.he7iNuCY116rJP21NWLJNDZRTNsDITZtx-lklYatGBU

With four main points of entry throughout, the second level of the Aries Arboretum is accessible through a radial spur off the central corridors on Deck 3 and a turbolift access opposite that, partly for quick access from the rest of the ship, but also to accommodate those visitors and crew members with disabilities which allows for easy movement between the two main levels of the Arboretum. When there's an event going on there, a turbolift is parked at the entrance to one of the two levels at all times to help facilitate this.

Here the Vulcan head of the Science department on board the Aries, Lt. Commander Seleia, is overseeing a new addition to the central planter on the second level, a little plant known as the SnapDragon who apparently likes the attention of the Andorian crew member, Ensign Hira zh'Elann petting it. One of the Tellarite crew, Ensign Win, experiences the empathic surge from a Rigellian Tentapod as the ship's lead in Astrometrics, Lt. Jared Hames, wonders why he was brought along to put another plant in the Arboretum when he could be charting more stars....

Credits where it's due:
    Figures and clothing from DAZ
    Uniform textures by JamesJAB
    Ivy generated using Ivy Generator (hey it's free and works wonderfully!)
    Other plants available from DAZ
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777merritt258Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergBolianAdmiral
    That looks really nice. I like the lighting around the central planters.
    Very nice.
    I can understand someone form the Diplomatic Corps, but a Political Officer scream communism to me.
    Not something you would find on a Starfleet ship.
    I guess I watched and read to many cold war thrillers. ;)
    That looks really nice. I like the lighting around the central planters.

Thank you!

Very nice.
    I can understand someone form the Diplomatic Corps, but a Political Officer scream communism to me.
    Not something you would find on a Starfleet ship.
    I guess I watched and read to many cold war thrillers. ;)

Thanks!

It's a precedent set in the late 80s early 90s DC Comics. Starfleet put a Political Officer on board the Enterprise to try and curtail Kirk a bit and then he ended up sleeping with her.

I'm just going with how they referred to the position. The Only thing they have any input on are political issues and maybe getting treaties going, not making sure the crew are following Federation doctrine.
  • JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    This is all wonderful and amazing stuff. I love it when peeps work on the ousides and insides of the ship, really brings them to life :-)
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    It's a precedent set in the late 80s early 90s DC Comics. Starfleet put a Political Officer on board the Enterprise to try and curtail Kirk a bit and then he ended up sleeping with her.

I'm just going with how they referred to the position. The Only thing they have any input on are political issues and maybe getting treaties going, not making sure the crew are following Federation doctrine.

The DC Comics had a lot of interesting things in them that never appeared on the shows or movies. I like how they weren't afraid to push the envelope.

The DC Comics had a lot of interesting things in them that never appeared on the shows or movies. I like how they weren't afraid to push the envelope.

Indeed. =)

I've got the cutaway for my next set rendered. More images to come with actual crew in them.

uss_aries_engineering_cutaway_by_ashleytinger_ddv16l0-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjMzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHYxNmwwLWMyMjVkOTIwLTZkZTAtNDI1MC1iYTlhLWM4N2RlNTM2MDkyMC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.R0A54WXhwy72IVnbxxtQN8BzHahzm4cqXE_A2a7SMv0

Having launched in that awkward time where Starfleet was prepping to go for an update of all of the Constitution Class ships in the fleet, tentatively nicknamed Phase II, the Aries and the other Zodiac class ships were used as a testbed for some of the Phase II technology that integrated pretty well with a smaller Engineering space as well as a unique layout. This bolstered this little ships power output and allowed it to max out it's overall warp capability even further than expected.

While some technology carried over, like the large energy conversion area in the back of the section, a new warp core was introduced along with new intermix methods as well as warp plasma transfer and matter and anti-matter housing. To provide easier access to the experimental systems, the floor was raised, allowing crew persons to get in faster as needed. Since the technology was somewhat experimental and untested, Engineering was limited to one entrance and exit and was given a set of reinforced doors to act like an airlock and seal off Engineering from the rest of the ship.

Perhaps the biggest change was the miniaturization and centralization of so many of the ships systems to be handled by a beefed up Duotronic system at the heart of the ship which allowed for much smaller control stations to be used throughout the section.

One of the last of the 'three' sets I've been working on for the Aries and probably the most changed up from what we saw in TOS/TMP. I needed it to fit a specific space and I didn't want it to look just like the Connie's Engine Room as this is a ship built 20 years later. I was actually inspired from some behind the scenes artwork from Star Trek Beyond for this one and I tried to TOS-ify it a little bit. Either way, I really like how this turned out. Only two more to go. One full set with 3 different configurations and another with only partial walls.
    evil_genius_180JayruWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777FreakBrandenbergscifieric
    That engine room looks sweet. I like the Phase II influences.
    scifieric
    I think you've got a nice balance there of the TOS and PII ethos. It works very well with the over all feel of the ship.
    - Mike Oldfield
    Loving the Phase II warp core.
    scifieric
    That engine room looks sweet. I like the Phase II influences.

Thanks! It's my favorite under-used design set up lol
    Jayru wrote: »
    I think you've got a nice balance there of the TOS and PII ethos. It works very well with the over all feel of the ship.

Thank you! This has been a fun exercise and will be even more fun playing in it.
    Loving the Phase II warp core.

Thank you!

uss_aries_engineering_aft_by_ashleytinger_ddv4xr7-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjMzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHY0eHI3LWYzYTY2OTIxLTQ4ZGItNGE1YS1hZmIwLTA5MTAyYmM2Y2QyMS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.XeB-i82rBWZ5NJkTuFDomMQPr-8zd2HRjQfzMe3M4VM

The Zodiac class uses a split core design that feeds into a central line and heads back into the main power conversion area. This design would lead fleet engineers toward the intermix set-up of the 2270s. While Not the first vertical set-up, this one was unique in that the Zodiac could power down one core and still maintain warp-capability albeit at a much lower capacity. In a hostile area like The Triangle, with Klingons, Romulans, several split factions, and Orion Pirates, this would be a very nice addition to what was going to be a long running campaign to try and bring the area into the Federation or at least as allies.

Despite the size of Engineering, only a smaller crew is needed to keep things up and running. Designed to be as low maintenance and stable as possible with several layers of systems, the Zodiac is pushing the boundaries of the technology she was based on.

Here, the Chief Engineer of the Aries, Lieutenant Commander Kendrick Kehoe is verifying what his eyes and feet are telling him; that the energy conversion system is running just fine. Lieutenant Hant is newer to the systems here, but as he told the Chief, a warp engine is a warp engine. He's just used to more Tellarite devised equipment. Lieutenant Alel just finished up her Gamma Shift report and is going looking for a proper cup of Vulcan tea.

uss_aries_engineering_fore_by_ashleytinger_ddv8f3c-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjMzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZHY4ZjNjLTE2NDAzYzAwLWExNDQtNDg1YS05NmQ4LTMwZDQ2NWVjNDAyYy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.NRrb4SKHi-sQzOC7xKG8eYu1J-h6v2ncnG40BYKejBI

The forward section of the Zodiac Class Engineering contains the secondary warp system that feeds into the primary but is also responsible for power generation for the rest of the ship. The ship can operate with just one warp system active, but because the ship is designed to run off of at least one of these systems, the warp capability drops significantly. Up on an elevated platform are the auxiliary control systems for Engineering and also more direct access to the GNDN system that feeds out from Engineering to the rest of the ship.

Here the Engineering crew is prepping for some emergency tests to make sure the ship and the crew is operating at peak efficiency.

Credit where it's due:
    Uniform textures from JamesJAB
    Dynamic Mode Convert by GeorgeHaze

evil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBrandenbergP5ych0p4thBolianAdmiral
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I really like the engine room.
    scifieric

Thank you! I'm just hoping I didn't over do it lol
    Jayru
    I don't think you did.

Thank you! I'm just hoping I didn't over do it lol

You've got the balance quite nice. Loving this!
    - Mike Oldfield