Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I love that shot, I feel like I'm really standing there.
    Rekkert
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I just love that Akita graphic on the tactical display.
    Rekkert
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    edited March 2020 #2644
    Frist off that looks sweet.

you said it yourself going off past productions before all this crap went down, the design work would have been done months ago. Even if post production was being done while the show was airing, the final episode should have been completed at least by the beginning of March. So time was not a factor. Also the Jonathan Fakes scene where shot on the Discovery Bridge set in Toronto. That would have been films at the latest in January while Fakes was up there directing an episode of that. (We know that was a pickup shot as Admiral Sheer Fing Hubris originally filmed those scenes.)

Trekyards latest Video goes into a lot of detail on the ship seen and it one of John Eaves concept designs for Star Trek Online done 15 years ago, watching their analyst of it, it does seem to come across as @ashleytinger said, they just went F it long before it became last minute.

I am in the UK, but we had no issue with the Internet since we gone into lockdown. I have been expecting it but so far everything has actually been working better than normal.

Okay I am taking this thread off topic, so instead of do it here that got noting to do with @Rekkert builds.
    We can move this over to the Picard thread where it should be done if anyone wants to continue the discussion.
    Post edited by Freak on
    Rekkert
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited March 2020 #2645
    @evil_genius_180: Haha, I should get in the habit of doing more "standing height" shots, I also quite like how that one turned out.

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks! It's a repeat of the similar graphic I used on the Cerberus central status indicator panel; everytime I have to do a centrally aligned panel now I default to a top view of the ship, it always looks cool IMO. :p

@Freak: Thanks! I do agree regarding Eaves' design, I mentioned the same thing on Twitter and Reddit before that video was up. Eaves' is clearly just cashing in at this point, the USS Ibn Majid was likewise a previous existing design from him.

Because someone asked on another forum, here's a shot of all the "Ross style" consoles I've done and am working on so far. As you can see, I already have two more consoles of this style in progress. One is a short console, similar to half of the Sun Wukong's tactical console; and another one has a flattened area for tools to be placed at. Probably for use on sickbay and engineering.
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-03-29-21-30-43.jpg?1585528298
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-03-29-21-30-56.jpg?1585528300

Going back to the Sun Wukong, the MSD is now done!
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1585527490
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Awesome. The Akira class is one of my favourites, I have the little eaglemoss diecast of it.
    No underside torpedo launcher?
    Rekkert
    edited March 2020 #2647
    @kaden: It's one of my favorites as well, which I guess is why I could never do a bridge for the Thunderchild, I wanted to avoid "half-assing" it.
    Oops, forgot about that laucher, I'm adding it now!
    Very nice.
    The Akira class is one of my fav's as well.
    I just wish that during the battles it appeared in, in DS9 we got to see a shuttle/fighter coming out of her.

Is it possiable to see the MSD on it own. I am curious to see if you put in any Easter eggs. ;)
    Rekkert
    @Freak: Thanks! Sure, here's a look at the MSD; though I'm not one for easter eggs, I don't really intend them for be seen up close, after all. :)
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-sun-wukong-msd.jpg?1585642411

Here are all the finished renders of the Sun Wukong's bridge!
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1585560783
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1585560652
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1585560658
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1585560648
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1585560652
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1585560655
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01r.jpg?1585560649
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01r.jpg?1585560655
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01r.jpg?1585560645
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-sun-wukong-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1585560659
    kadenLizzy777JMP11ashleytingerFreakevil_genius_180lewisniven
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Very cool, I really like how you add the hatch in the front of your bridges too. That's the kind of detail that makes it feel more real.
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    It’s funny, I never thought about where the warp core would be located in the Akira class. But, under bridge is about the only place it would fit in a normal configuration. Beautiful MSD and a good looking bridge. Personally, I always thought the Akira bridge would be more of a mix between a Galaxy and Intrepid bridge. Mostly because of the Akira’s rounder saucer and so seemingly earlier design. Great work as always!
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Sure, here's a look at the MSD; though I'm not one for easter eggs, I don't really intend them for be seen up close, after all. :)

That's precisely why they were there, as the show wasn't intended to be seen with close shots on this stuff, or at least the resolution wouldn't make it visible. When they went to do the show on Blu-Ray, people had to go in and remove some of the in jokes as they were highly visible for the first time.
    edited March 2020 #2653
    Thanks for posting that.

@evil_genius_180 really I did not know that.
    I wonder why they did that, most of the in-jokes where published in books etc for things like the MSD.
    It was always fun looking for what they put in there, like the Duck in the hanger of the Enterprise D.

I think there was a sports car in Voyager hanger or was that the Enterprise E.
    Post edited by Freak on
    Freak wrote: »
    @evil_genius_180 really I did not know that.
    I wonder why they did that, most of the in-jokes where published in books etc for things like the MSD.
    It was always fun looking for what they put in there, like the Duck in the hanger of the Enterprise D.

From what I was told by someone working on fixing the stuff, some of it was inappropriate. Probably not the more well known stuff like the duck on the MSD, but stuff on some of the displays that just couldn't be read in the low resolution of the time but that was visible in 1080p.
    edited March 2020 #2655
    All of the canon in-jokes were on the Enterprise-D MSD, because as @evil_genius_180 said it wasn't made to be seen upclose. In fact in some episodes they had to add cardboard on top of the in-jokes because they were too obvious, long before the HD remasters.
    entd-msd-injokes.jpg
    injokes-masked-brothers.jpg

They learnt their lesson and all later MSDs (done by Doug Drexler) didn't have any obvious in-joke graphics, they were make to be hyper "realistic" and hyper detailed, which personally I don't quite like; as it's always an extrapolation anyway, you can't properly showcase a 3D cross-section on a 2D plane.

In my case I use the opposite logic, they added in-jokes because from a distance they looked like greebles. I don't add them because from a distance they would look like greebles, so there's no point in making a specific effort to have a car or something in there. And if I were to post the image of the MSD with a car or something other in there, it would break the immersion, just as it did on TNG when they forgot to cover them up. :p
    evil_genius_180
    edited March 2020 #2656
    They learnt their lesson and all later MSDs (done by Doug Drexler) didn't have any obvious in-joke graphics, they were make to be hyper "realistic" and hyper detailed, which personally I don't quite like; as it's always an extrapolation anyway, you can't properly showcase a 3D cross-section on a 2D plane.

Yeah, I don't like it when they included stuff on the MSDs that weren't even on the ship's center line. A great example is the Enterprise-B, which includes those neck greeblies that are off to either side and are incorrectly marked as the ship's torpedo launchers. (watch Star Trek VI, the Excelsior's torpedoes come from the secondary hull, not the neck) Those aren't on the center line and yet are on the MSD. Of course, they're also lower down on the MSD than the actual modeled details. If there are torpedo launchers where the neck details are, you'd blow of the planetary sensor array firing a torpedo.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    I always loved that they included a WW2 era plane as a tribute to Gene Roddenberry's service as an Air Force pilot!
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    The plane is news to me... it's something I could imagine being in Voyager for example, since they found Amelia Earhart's plane. Could be something they keep i nlong term storage on their way back to earth.

The duck thing always felt like something that would be great to put into an episode, particularly one of the surreal ones. Someone enters a room and there's just a giant rubber duck in there.
    edited April 2020 #2659
    Fun fact, we bounced around the idea of having the Porsche (well, a Porsche looking car) on the Main Shuttlebay on Stage 9, hidden somewhere behind a door or someplace like that.

Been working on-and-off on several commissions this past week, whenever my ISP (and my overall moodiness with the whole pandemic thing) allows. I was supposed to already be moved and living in with my partner by this date, but the quarantine put all that on hold...

Anyway, one commission that's moved along enough to be shown, is another interior for the USS Tioga: the transporter room. And yes it is the transporter room, as Akyazi-Class ships only have one, located on deck 3.

The general layout was devised to follow the original schematics of the class, with some modifications. First, given that this is supposed to be the ship's look after 40 years of service, in the 2330's (around the time of the Enterprise-C), all the details are very much TNG-efied. This means it doesn't have an enclosed control console (though it will have a small wall in front, just no glass); and it has a TNG style transporter pad, just with some different details to try and make it closer in appearance to the original TMP transporter room. This includes having blue panels on the walls rather than orange (similar to what the USS Jenolan had), and a darker tone for some of the white surfaces from TNG.

I originally had another pattern entirely going on the aft walls, much more similar to the hex pattern used on TMP; but the standard TNG pattern was more to my client's liking, and again having the precedent of the USS Jenolan it's not out of place at all.

Finally, the other, clearly seen change, was a request of my client to have the transporter pad rotated 45º, to give the whole room a bit of a TOS transporter room layout. I gotta say, it works IMO, it gives it a very unique look while fitting with the smaller motif of such a compact vessel.

There are many other details left to do, such as adding some carpeting similar to that of the bridge, adding the aforementioned short wall in front of the console, and more details all over to give some texture to those walls.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1586322274
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1586322278
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1586327818
    lennier1Freakevil_genius_180ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralLizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I really love that layout. It's a great look!
    Rekkert
    The blend of styles is really nice. It looks like it comes from a transitional time for Starfleet.
    Rekkert
    Love it! Nice and cramped, like it should be on a ship that small.
    Rekkert
  • JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    All of these are just... Beautiful. You really bring the sets to life.
    Rekkert
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    I would presume that such a ship would have two transporter rooms. The Strategic Design Deck Plans seen here (https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php) have two such rooms on small ships like the Nova and Oberth-class ships.
    Rekkert
    @ashleytinger: Thanks, glad you like it!

@evil_genius_180: Indeed, an era of transition and of redressing sets on the cheap for TV. :p

@BolianAdmiral: Hahaha, indeed!

@Jayru: Thank you very much! :)

@Rusty0918: Do keep in mind, the Akyazi is both smaller and more specific in its role than either the Nova and Oberth. Besides, the deck plans I linked weren't made after the fact, they were done by the original designer of the class, Todd Guenther, who went to great lengths explaining the whole layout and background of the ship. You can read his whole Akyazi-Class manual from 1993 here: https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/sotsf-akyazi.php
    Also, personally, while the Strategic Design (now Cydonia 6 Ink) deck plants are very nice looking, I'm not quite a fan of their layout for most ships, I find them a bit unimaginative and reusing the same rooms and assets a bit too much when compared to older deck plans.

Some more work on the Tioga transporter room, I've modeled the little enclosure for the control console, plus swapped said console for the longer version, as I think it works best here. I'll be adding a little recessed screen behind the console, similar to this one seen all over TNG.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1586413498
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-02.jpg?1586413501
    evil_genius_180FreakZhor2395ashleytingerLizzy777
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    I love that colour scheme
    Rekkert
    @evil_genius_180: Indeed, an era of transition and of redressing sets on the cheap for TV. :p

That's for sure. They did the best they could with what they had available. That's one thing I like about your work, you can do a more complete job on these rooms than the budgets allowed.
    Rekkert
    This is looking great!
    Rekkert
    I just love the little contained alcove for the control panel and operator, as well as the greeble bits on it.
    Rekkert
    I've added details all over the walls. The little rectangles extruding from the walls at the top and bottom are inspired on the TNG transporter room, while the panels at the center are taken from the TMP one, that way I could mix a bit of each era without going too much one way or the other I believe.

The aforementioned little rectangle extrusions are of note because this time each and every one of them is a separate mesh. For the Galaxy/Enterprise-D transporter room, I had used a displacement map on top of the wall mesh to create them. I thought that was gonna be easier, but it ended up being more of a pain as it was very time intensive to render, and if I wanted to tweak it I had to wait a while for my PC to respond. So, this time I just modeled one of the little rectangular pieces, and then cloned it and accurately placed/rotated them all over. In total there are 1746 copies of it. Despite that, it takes no additional time to render nor increases the file size. Yay for instancing!

I also plan on having a big warning sign on the transporter walls, done on the TNG style but mirroring that movies look. I've added a small placeholder label there, but I plan on replacing it once I design the larger one. Also, just as on the bridge there's now a carpet added on top of the metal floor. A middle ground between the all-metal floors of the TMP-era, and the all-carpet ones from TNG. I might change its color later, right now both my client and I agree that the whole room is a bit too grey.

tadeo-d-oria-c6-02.jpg?1586490976
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-03.jpg?1586490979
    Freakashleytingerevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralLizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    It needs a shoe rack or one of those shoe brushes for people coming in off a dirt planet so the ship stays clean ;)

I kid of course. Your sets always look so phenomenal
    Rekkert