Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRefitting

nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
Finally finished a scene recreation that I had in mind for a long time.
3i98gcd3b8of.jpg

evil_genius_180P5ych0p4thWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777RekkertFreakBolianAdmiralChristoffBrandenbergpubliusrand 3 others.
Tagged:

• trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    WOW,
    that's a really great scene. Really great job.
    I have a new background picture.
    TOP.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Outstanding work, as always. The terrain looks real.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    That looks awesome! Nicely done!
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Great work! I always wanted to see a high resolution version of that scene.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very nice.
    I only have one small nick-pick and that the scale of the people in the picture.
    Looking at the airlock at the side of the hanger door, it looks like its two stories high compared to the people on the hanger deck and possiable that shuttle as well. The Shuttle and people on the hanger deck looks to be in scale with each other but not with Voyager herself.

But apart from that I am really liking this Picture.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    That’s beautiful.
  • TelTel332 Posts: 8Member
    Really good work! Awesome! Thanks for sharing! :3
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I love this shot, but there's something in the composition that doesn't quite work and breaks the illusion for me. I think it's the colors and the way the ship looks like its lit differently than the planet (one looks cold, the other warm).
    Still, overall I love all the little details this has, great work!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Its the same sun, sky, environment.
    I have completely re-done the textures of Voyager and gave it the same blueish ground tone than the studio model.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Thanks for the hint
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    What a great scene. Fantastic work, @nightfever. There does appear to be a scale issue, as @Freak mentioned, but I think it's perhaps the size of the door next to the shuttlebay itself being too tall.

The only thing that looks 'off' to me is the shuttle using the tractor beam - something looks off about either its materials or the lighting on it - it just doesn't blend well into the rest of the scene.

Regardless, it's a fantastic shot.

One question - why are the coils sitting on the ship looking like they're attached to the ship? It looks like a panel has been lifted off and they've been directly attached?

(5ycvtkcbauwi.png

Looking at this shot (I have absolutely no memory of this in the show, but found it on Youtube), it appears that they've mounted the coils on some sort of hovering platforms to work on them.
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    I liked my idea that the panels could reveal maintenance slots and tools.
    Comco
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Comco wrote: »
    What a great scene. Fantastic work, @nightfever. There does appear to be a scale issue, as @Freak mentioned, but I think it's perhaps the size of the door next to the shuttlebay itself being too tall.

The only thing that looks 'off' to me is the shuttle using the tractor beam - something looks off about either its materials or the lighting on it - it just doesn't blend well into the rest of the scene.

Regardless, it's a fantastic shot.

One question - why are the coils sitting on the ship looking like they're attached to the ship? It looks like a panel has been lifted off and they've been directly attached?

(5ycvtkcbauwi.png

Looking at this shot (I have absolutely no memory of this in the show, but found it on Youtube), it appears that they've mounted the coils on some sort of hovering platforms to work on them.

Either that, or the hull itself can passively repulse individual hull panels so they double up as hovering platforms for the coils (which are heavy).
    Starfleet ships are supposedly made of composite programmable quantum metamaterials. If modified for this specific situation, I don't see why the coils couldn't be mounted on the hull panels for maintenance.

Though, to be fair, I wouldn't expect the crew to do all this work. Automation would be best suited for this task (not to mention far faster).
    Also, you'd think that by the late 24th century, self-repair systems would would include maintenance and upgrades - its not beyond their capabilites.

I know the FX department wanted it to look busy, but this kind of work (or majority of repair and maintenance we've seen internally) would not really be done by the crew at all.
    I'm actually saddened by distinctive lack of automation in Trek. And you can still train the crew on these matters so they understand how the tech works and how to repair it should the need arise, but given all the sensors and backups Starfleet integrated into all their ships... it removes the need for people doing any kind of repair/maintenance/upgrades.

Heck, the shuttles have voice controlled computers with transporters, replicators and tractor beams... I just find that the writers progressively forgot just how powerful and capable Federation technology is (for the sake of the drama).

To get back to the matter at hand... @nightfever, the scene looks really good... though I do think Voyager's lighting would need to be modified somewhat to better reflect its environment.

• TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    I thought I had seen all of Voyager, but don't remember this episode. Do you know the title of the episode and which season it was?
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    edited June 2020 #16
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    I thought I had seen all of Voyager, but don't remember this episode. Do you know the title of the episode and which season it was?

Nightingale. Season 7. It's in the teaser. :)
    Post edited by Warp Propulsion Laboratory on
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    I just watched the opening of that episode nightfever has pretty much nailed the scene! Thanks for the info.
    Warp Propulsion Laboratory
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Epic, love it. Makes more sense than how they built the JJ-prise on earth!
  • prisoner881prisoner881336 Posts: 30Member
    edited December 2020 #19
    Funny thing they never (directly) addressed: those coils are incredibly heavy. Removing them from the nacelles and stacking them on the ship makes sense to keep the center of gravity...well...centered. If you took all the coils out and stacked them on the ground, the ship would be so nose-heavy it'd tip forward on the landing gear!

I'm sure you could come up with some in-universe explanation of how this could be prevented by tractor beams or some anti-gravity thing, but if you're pulling coils out of the warp drive it implies some fairly hefty maintenance is going on. Anything requiring power to keep the ship from tipping would be a bit of a gamble.
    Post edited by prisoner881 on