Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Galaxy Class

• NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    edited March 2020 #122
    Oh my!

STUNNING - "zs3m5i51m8zy" is now my new wallpaper.
    Post edited by Nevets on
    lewisniven
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Saucer windows going on, windows again are boring but kinda neccesary so here we are.

uyjwtacucan0.png
    ashleytingerWarp Propulsion Laboratorykadenevil_genius_180Billynom8FreakBolianAdmiralRekkertBrandenbergLizzy777and 2 others.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Windows are probably one of the most tedious things on a CG model. Especially on a ship that has this many.
    lennier1lewisniven
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    She coming along nicely.
    lewisniven
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    She’s looking great.
    lewisniven
    ajiirrdk81u5.png
    Rekkertevil_genius_180MadKoiFishmdtaashleytingerBillynom8BrandenbergBolianAdmirallennier1Freakand 3 others.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    lewisniven wrote: »
    Saucer windows going on, windows again are boring but kinda neccesary so here we are.
    The secondary hull and neck are kind of a nightmare IMO.

What a beautiful job dude!

I love how clean this looks.
    lewisniven
    Just a quick bit of fun

ext8xfenstcx.png
    lennier1kadenMcCFreakLeoBerlinBillynom8BolianAdmiralLizzy777P5ych0p4th
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    edited April 2020 #131
    Generations? Looks great.

How did you do the lens flares? in post?
    Post edited by kaden on
    kaden wrote: »
    Generations? Looks great.

How did you do the lens flares? in post?

Yeah was trying to recreate the amargosa shot. The flares are all in blender, a glare node set to 'Streaks' in the compositor (and a bloom node too obviously).
    edited April 2020 #133
    The above shot highlighted that the roughness map could probably be a pinch more agressive so i upped the contrast on it slightly and tweaked the post processing.

bqxzkkil8trk.png
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    ashleytingerMcCFreakkadenBillynom8BolianAdmiralLizzy777P5ych0p4th
    Nice!
    Lit windows and some further tweaks. I'm happy with that for now, I'll carry on with the actual modelling!

ngnh0a8seb0o.png
    LeoBerlinBillynom8ashleytingerMcCBolianAdmiralRekkertLizzy777P5ych0p4th
    That hull is so smooth... I love it.
    Messing about last night setting up a new diffuse map and I realised I've had two of the blues the wrong way round on the saucer. Sorting this out has fixed the issue of it looking a bit too 'clean', it looks far better now imo, you get a clearer idea of the aztec without it looking overwhelming. This is how it should have always been if I wasnt an Idiot :open_mouth: . Nacelles are still on an old colour scheme so ignore those.

4ljccgxql1t4.png
    ashleytingerBillynom8BolianAdmiralLizzy777McCZhor2395P5ych0p4thWarp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180LeoBerlin
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    So many awesome things about this, but I absolutely love the subtlety of that diffuse map!
    BolianAdmiral
    I spent a few hours heavily tweaking, un-tweaking, and re-tweaking the area around the shuttlebay door, it's such an weird shape to get exactly as the model but I think I'm pretty close.

xb7fw2hbinfs.png
    Billynom8Freaklennier1BolianAdmiralP5ych0p4thMcCevil_genius_180Lizzy777LeoBerlin
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    gcfb66qxbsbf.jpg
    u92lbecpmzco.jpg
    aufpiyjimmd4.jpg
    8rlvh2yvk85x.jpg

Billynom8Soul Scream
    Thanks for the pics @mdta . I'm using the 6ft filming model exclusively as my reference though. Do you know what there last one is from? It looks like a very faithful recreation of the 6ft's Generations paint job, but clearly isn't that model, I'm guessing it must be a fan build or something?
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited April 2020 #142
    I think that's from the big saucer model made for Generations. The paint job is certainly the same (including the ready room window, only added to the model for that movie).
    EDIT: Yep, it certainly is. Here are a ton more pics of it.
    561c67dad22645a67fe1ba3c1837fe71.jpg
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    lewisnivenBolianAdmiralBigd524
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited April 2020 #143
    yup it is the large saucer used for the Generations crash landing, do not use it for ref. Too many changes etc. Granted a lot of features are not the same on any prop or model between the sizes. That shuttle bay are is a prime example. Look at the other studio models and it is different on every one.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    lewisnivenlennier1
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Ah yeah of course! They did a good job recreating the paint job. It raises a few interesting bits though, that black area under the observation lounge windows is clearly deliberate, I thought it was the surface lifting or something on the other model, what the hell is that all about!? Also they put 'Enterprise' behind the shuttlebay on that big one but not on the 6ft.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    6ft had a lot of visual changes and some probably due to relabeling after the film or just plain forgotten during the repaint. At one point she had a E on her post filming but at some point they removed it. Other things like hull grooves and a lot of fine details I have found were obliterated in the repaint. Those rings around the bridge and lower Yacht area were much more pronounced in the original paintjob but some heavy sanding lead to most of the ribs and detail to turn to dust. Add in all the rounded out window insets etc. Some windows went the way of being painted over too. Though oddly some I found were painted over since the beginning.

The black "porch" off the conference room I think was a attempt at some sort of heat shield as that section of the ship was apparently expected to detach as a large lifeboat. You see it in plans and a few odd images here and there. Only other thing I could think of is it is a means of glare shielding?

One thing that drive me nuts is all across the hull there are small greebles scattered all over but not all are accountable. And then do they exist on the ship prior to the repaint or were they added? Some are little bars that follow the phasers, others show up per deck groove on the secondary hull. Others look like boxes with holes in and those do not seem to follow a pattern. One can be seen near the upper shuttle bay.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    The 'boxes with holes' were apparently added in the repaint, at least here above the RCS thrusters on the secondary hull, when it was perfectly smooth before.
    During TNG: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x23/sarek_hd_000.jpg
    Generations model: https://www.st-bilder.de/index.php/gallery/image.raw?type=orig&id=66307

I have a feeling these were added to areas which would've been seen upclose, to given them more detail without having to make a specific model for the section.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great, lewisniven. I'd definitely recommend ignoring Generations references, as the ship got a serious "refit" for that movie. It's the 6-foot model and they did a lot of work on it to make it look better on the big screen, as Rekkert said.
    lewisniven
    Looking really good.

Once you finished building this girl, do you plan to make the All Good Things variant?
    Freak wrote: »
    Looking really good.

Once you finished building this girl, do you plan to make the All Good Things variant?

I guess it wouldn't be difficult as it was literally just bits stuck on. I've never been a huge fan of that design but it could be cool to see in some renders
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    I posted the images more as a geometry reference, than texturing and decals. Generations saw the whole ship get a more detailed paint job, but the earlier images were during the TV series. The bluey grey with green "aztecs" is the same colour scheme from the original model, but the registry number and Enterprise text is a departure from the model's paintjob
    lewisniven
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    not posted anything for a while, but just had to post and say wow she's looking beautiful...

would it be possible to see some some lower poly wireframes?? i love seeing how different people construct there ships... dont worry if not strange request.... cant wait to see it fully textured and rendered in that gorgeous golden light :)
    lewisniven