Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    kaden wrote: »
    Oh perhaps should add that I think @kaden's does work. It is a great design

Which ones? lol I have many with no to little pylons. Gotta shake it up a bit.

Your fighter - the one your are working on right now.
    @Barricade I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

4 Galaxy style pylons on this, instead of swept back 1701ish and you like the 3 vent-like indentations on the pylons in the image above?
    Mocked up the alternate engine mount. This is with the engines same relative size to the saucer as the Original Niagara. Will drop the size of the engines next.

i4mu28t47s2k.png
    evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777FreakBarricade
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I personally think it looks better with the other pylons. But, it's nice that you're willing to try out different configurations suggested by people. :)
    atauz2kqtoqb.png
    Lizzy777Barricade
    edited March 2020 #817
    I personally think it looks better with the other pylons. But, it's nice that you're willing to try out different configurations suggested by people. :)
    I didn't think it would take long since I just grabbed them off my Galaxy class. Of course it took longer than expected. At least now I know.
    Actually it isn't clear from this far back but I completely redid the bridge module after admiring MKF and LewisNiven's bridges for their galaxy class models.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    edited March 2020 #818
    Oh I like the first one. I really really like that first one. The over-sized nacelles actually work for it in a kind of 'hot rod' fashion, where its meant for speed.

Oddly enough, the second image looks like not only did you shrink the nacelle size, but then enlarged the saucer. I think it's the angle, even though its the exact same shot angle. Yes, I'm weird like that.

USS Epimetheus? As a nice playful smack towards the USS Prometheus?

EDIT: And yes, if you can/want/able to, keep your cut-outs and shapes from your original quad-nacelle pylons. It adds a nice bonus personal touch to it that's your own, without making it a straight across swap.
    Post edited by Barricade on
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    edited March 2020 #819
    I think Ambassador class pylons work better on that hull if you had a choice. Galaxy ones are a smidge too... art neuvo? in style to fit that hull and saucer type.

Oddly though, the saucer and hull go fine with galaxy nacelles if done properly. So i like how it looks in that configuration, just the pylons need to be a little less organic I reckon.

If you want a name, Vermillion falls is the next largest waterfall besides Niagara. I like themic naming :)
    Post edited by count23 on
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    edited March 2020 #820
    Thanks for all the fun comments. I really enjoyed reading what everyone had to say. @count23 I believe I will use “Vermilion.” I like it!

@Barricade great comments. 😎. You remind me I want to tackle a Epimethius Prometheus.
    Epimethius Prometheus started.

mrq0fr89ty7t.png
    P5ych0p4thMcCevil_genius_180Lizzy777Rekkert
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Awesome start.
    Brandenberg
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Nice start. I liked the design but didn't like the 3part split lol.

I read somewhere, instead of the tiny vertical nacelles, they would have been integrated into the hull for the top section. Ever thought about trying to do that?
    Brandenberg
    Looks good so far. (or at least as good as that ship can look)
    Brandenberg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very nice
    I liked the design but didn't like the 3part split lol.

I'll second that. the three way split just came across as a really bad gimic.
    It made sense to do it with a ship like the Galaxy Class, but not with these smaller compact ships.

Brandenberg
    edited March 2020 #826
    Brandenberg, I take it you play STO? Possibly getting ideas from the mix'n'match customization options for hulls?
    Brandenberg
    edited April 2020 #827
    Nice start. I liked the design but didn't like the 3part split lol.
    It's really dumb, isn't it. The pieces look so frail and nonfunctional. Plus the warp engine that sticks up like a Mohawk out of the main saucer really is really "forced" as designs go.
    Looks good so far. (or at least as good as that ship can look)
    Yep, kinda reminds me of a pointed shoe.

Freak wrote: »
    I'll second that. the three way split just came across as a really bad gimmick.
    It made sense to do it with a ship like the Galaxy Class, but not with these smaller compact ships.

Agreed all.
    Barricade wrote: »
    Brandenberg, I take it you play STO? Possibly getting ideas from the mix'n'match customization options for hulls?

Nah, never joined STO. I guess you are referring back to the variations on the Niagara Class. Someone asked so I played with it. The quad engine is always going to look better to me, but the standard 3 engine design has more or less won me over. I really ought to do the secondary hull with the correct window pattern.

Working on the Prometheus engines. Not the easiest engines I've done.
    edited April 2020 #829
    Nah. Was just wanting to give you an idea for an alternative Akira/Miranda I frankenstein'd together. And yes, I'm well aware of the 'buuuh, wha?' that generally causes in people when they hear that combo.

EDIT: Rather than being rude and post them in your topic, I'll PM you the pics, unless you're okay with them here.
    Oh is this one you got on STO? Yeah I’m curious. You can post here or PM. Whatever you like.
    A few things.
    1. Sorry about the side image having in-game stuff. I simply couldn't manipulate it in a way that didn't have the HUD graphics in the way.
    2. Forgot I had my graphics turned down, whoops.
    3. I can't do much about the darkness, as once in deep space the lighting is dependent on if you're near a star and what color the star is. In this images case, its right near the Bajor system.
    4. I put the images in a spoiler, simply so anyone wanting to only see your work, can skip right past this.
    Its a 'through-deck' carrier, where the front shuttlebay connects directly to the back shuttle bay, if however the aft one is one deck above.
    All my ships use an Egyptian theme (Anubis, Hathor, Sekhmet, etc), hence the rather unique name. Only downside is the small hull, heh, can't display all the letters/numbers properly on the saucer. There's supposed to be two phaser strips on the underside, one on either side of the lower escape pod hatches, but it never renders.

cJF3pzC.png

Xsm41V9.png

71BZZZU.png

jA4vUHG.png

U1Mxr9Z.png

s6DFCTT.png

AfBD3rY.png

dt8DCnW.png

QlXhl3n.png
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
    That's actually an interesting design. Did you make your own mesh of it or is it only on STO?
    Progress on the engines.
    fbs2xsyuwz79.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Freak
    That's actually an interesting design. Did you make your own mesh of it or is it only on STO?

Its all STO's meshes. Its just that the way STO works is that they give you between 2-5 different 'sibling' meshes for related classes - read: all work identically, its just different cosmetic skins - and then breaks it down into saucer, main hull, pylons, nacelles, and misc (for anything with quad-nacelles so you can mix'n'match even more, or something like mission pods as like the Nebula class' one), and then you can splice them together however you like. IIRC my combo was:
    Saucer: Armitage class
    Engineering/Main Hull: Zephyr class
    Pylons (and in this case, the phaser/torpedo pod as well): Armitage class
    Nacelles: Oslo class

Yet it all works as it if was an upgraded Akira class.

And if I had any skill beyond 'set the PC with Maya installed on fire' (don't ask) with 3D graphics, I'd have made it and fixed a few nearly hidden spots where the individual pieces don't line up really well. My skill lies more with 2D.

I just figured you might want something to mess with if you wanted.
    Brandenberg
    And if I had any skill beyond 'set the PC with Maya installed on fire' (don't ask) with 3D graphics, I'd have made it and fixed a few nearly hidden spots where the individual pieces don't line up really well. My skill lies more with 2D.
    Good one. I laughed. Be safe man...
    I just figured you might want something to mess with if you wanted.
    Yeah, I might give it a whirl. You rather implied it with the orthos. Nice touch. I have to admit I see the ship and think, "Cool design but I might alter this a tiny bit or that a little..."
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The Nacelles is looking good.
    Brandenberg
    After looking at more pictures I decided to redo the engines a little sleeker and with a different underside. As usual, the second time around is easier after learning how the first time around.
    ddo76nmxl9e9.png
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777
    edited April 2020 #838
    Looking good. With funky shapes like that, I find it's best to make one and then use it as a proof of concept to make a better one. Like you said, it's easier the second time. :)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Brandenberg
    I think the one window in the raised section aft of the bridge is just a tad bit too low, but other than that, nice start. And I like the subtle cutouts you've already got going in the nacelles.
    I need to double check that, but it may be an optical illusion. But yeah, it bothers me too.
    "Roughed-in" the pylons for the engines. A bit time consuming.
    lfq3p52ur95q.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBarricade