Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFreak's Trek Build's

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks like you've got the shape nearly there.
    Freak
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Thanks Chris.
    With the current crisis affecting the western world. My son who was going to take his GCSE exams this years, is no longer going to be doing it. (Not sure how they are going to get their grades so he can go off the College in September.)
    This means that he is no longer hogging the PC I am currently building the Refit Enterprise.
    So with that I have been able to jump on and do some long over due work on her.
    I have built the nacelles and all the shaping is now done. I still need to add details to it but it mostly done.
    Anyway here where it stands at the moment.

200323-refit-00.png

200323-refit-01.png

200323-refit-02.png
    lennier1RekkertP5ych0p4thashleytingerevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BrandenbergBolianAdmiral
    It's not really the Western world, it's the whole world. In fact, it started in the East. But, I digress.

The nacelle looks great.
    Freak
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    You are an excellent modeler and I hope things work out for your son.
    Freak
    It's not really the Western world, it's the whole world. In fact, it started in the East. But, I digress.

The nacelle looks great.

Yeah I know, but what I meant was 1st world countries. Majority of 3rd world countries have a limited number of cases or non at all and as far as I know have not yet gone into LOCKDOWN. But then again, with the except of what going on in Italy and surrounding countries to the UK. They are not really reporting on it.
    Hell I only found out that parts of the States had gone into LOCKDOWN due to watching YouTube.
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    You are an excellent modeler and I hope things work out for your son.

You are to kind good sir. ;)
    Yeah I hope it all goes well. Today they are reporting that his Year are now going to be graded on their course work and how they did during the mock Exams.
    His course work should be okay, but he failed the majority of the mock exams.
    He been working hard so that when he took the proper exam he would get a decent mark. But it down to their teachers and not the exam board so hopefully they have seen him working to get a good grade and not judge him to much on the mocks.

• Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Those look amazing. Great job.

As far as GCSE, I think they're using coursework and/or granting the projected grade. I only briefly overheard someone talking about it, so not 100% sure on that.
    Freak
    Thanks @Vortex5972
    Modelling of the Nacelles is now completed and put into position.
    Next I will be working on the pylons for them, once that is done I will go back to the engineering hull and finishing off the details. Windows etc.

200327-refit-00.png

200327-refit-01.png

200327-refit-02.png

200327-refit-03.png

I also need to get back to modelling the shuttle.
    The type 7 is the last of the shuttle to appear on TNG, but a Runabout was also shown in one episode. Should I model that so I have all Starfleet shuttle that appear on TNG?
    ashleytingerMcCBrandenbergevil_genius_180RekkertMadKoiFishLizzy777
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    It's coming together nicely!

You can also do the Type-6C from Generations. :)
    Freak
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Thanks @Rekkert, I don't remember that one, I guess it was seen at the end of the film.
    Though it looks a like modified version of the shuttle seen with the Original cast movies.
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Nacelles look really nice. They remind me of those classic cars with all the chrome trims and bumpers. Like the 58 Corvette.
    Can't wait to see it all together.
    Freak
    edited March 2020 #164
    Freak wrote: »
    Thanks @Rekkert, I don't remember that one, I guess it was seen at the end of the film.
    Though it looks a like modified version of the shuttle seen with the Original cast movies.

Yeah, it picks up Picard from the mountaintop on Veridian III after the three other ships show up to rescue the crew of the Enterprise. It is a modification of the shuttle built for Star Trek V. A deleted scene used the full size mock-up that wasn't modified to make the Type-6 for TNG.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Freak
    @kaden thanks, yeah I noticed that as I was modelling it. I was watching Rust to Riches on Netflix at the same time so it popped out.

@evil_genius_180, yeah I never really paid attention to that shuttle as it looked like the TMP version.
    It also been over ten years since I have watched Generations.

Anyway not much of an update.
    I have just blocked out the pylons but I am not sure on the placement.
    What do you guys think?

pylon-build.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2011 Central OhioPosts: 1,244Member
    Just eyeballing it they look good to me
    Freak
    edited March 2020 #167
    Looks good to me too.
    @kaden thanks, yeah I noticed that as I was modelling it. I was watching Rust to Riches on Netflix at the same time so it popped out.

@evil_genius_180, yeah I never really paid attention to that shuttle as it looked like the TMP version.
    It also been over ten years since I have watched Generations.

Well, that's basically all it is. Though, more specifically, it's from ST5. All they did was give it a new paint job and markings.

I can't blame you on not watching Generations. It's a rough one. The idea of getting Kirk and Picard together was sound, but the execution was lacking.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Freak
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Beautiful work, Freak!
    Freak
    Thanks guys.

Okay with that I will crack on with it.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Very nice work.
    Freak
    Thnaks @Brandenberg
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Sweet!
    Not sure, but the registry on the nacelle feels a bit too big, like the one on the Phase II concept. Not sure if that's intentional.
    Freak
    edited March 2020 #173
    Thanks @lennier1.
    It does look like that, but the length is the same as the ref picture I have. Though they use the NCC-1701-A Registry. So I guess they are.
    But the UPF under the Reg is meant to be between the first C and the 0 in length.
    That did not work for me, so made it so I it was the same length of the registry.
    Post edited by Freak on
    The overall shape of the pylons look good. The connection point at the nacelle is too far forward though. If you take a look at Tobias Richter's model here, you seem to be just ever so slightly off. I thing that you need to elongate yours a little front to back as well.

https://thirdwavedesigndotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/uss_enterprise_ortho.jpg

Out of curiosity, what are you using for reference?
    Freak
    edited March 2020 #175
    Thanks I'll take another look.

@Vortex5972 I am using Big Jim Slade blueprints and a bunch of reference photos that @MadKoiFish posted a while back.

You can get Jim Blueprints here
    https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/slade.php
    Post edited by Freak on
    The Pylons for nacelles are now modelled.
    I had a few issues with this due to the shape and issues with the cuts as you can see below.

fails-starts.jpg

Mainly the cut-out where to small or not in the correct position.
    I have now corrected that and also moved the pylon back a bit on the nacelle has it was to far forwards.

200402-refit-00.png

200402-refit-01.png

200402-refit-02.png

200402-refit-03.png

200402-refit-04.png

Next up is cutting in the windows and adding details to the secondary hull.

Also on a side note. I was going to get back to work on the type 7 TNG shuttle, but I have seemed to delete it of my computer and the back up. Ops.
    Not a major issue as I still have a copy of the latest version. It is on a USB Stick, however I have left that at work and currently get to it. Not to worry I have found some really good plan of the Runabout from DS9.
    I have started to model that but it not yet at a point to show anything.
    I have started to model that but it not yet at a point to show anything
    Lizzy777McCsrspicer
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2492 UKPosts: 463Member
    Looking great so far, windows are the fun part. That text on the rear of the nacelles is huge though, that wants to be like 1/3rd of that size I think.
    Freak
    Looking spot on. This is a great build.

Always have liked the Jim Slade material. It's good stuff to work off.
    Freak
    Thanks @Vortex5972

Thanks @lewisniven, yeah. I take another look at the ref photo and your right.
    I'll sort that in a few days. Starting to feel a little burned out at the moment.

Might do a drawing and work on the Runabout a bit, before getting back to this girl.
    I been working on this girl for 9 months a few days rest won't hurt. ;)
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2492 UKPosts: 463Member
    Thanks @Vortex5972

Thanks @lewisniven, yeah. I take another look at the ref photo and your right.
    I'll sort that in a few days. Starting to feel a little burned out at the moment.

Might do a drawing and work on the Runabout a bit, before getting back to this girl.
    I been working on this girl for 9 months a few days rest won't hurt. ;)

I know what you mean, it can be easy to get burnt out. Its a hobby not a job remember, it's not going anywhere :)
    Freak
    As I have built or building all the Starfleet shuttle that appeared in The Next Generation.
    I only have the Runabout form Deep Space Nine left to do along with the Type 7.
    As I can’t work on the Type 7 at the moment, I have decided to start work on the Runabout.
    For those not in the know, the Runabout only appeared in one episode of TNG which was the season 6 episode called “Timescape”.

The reason the Runabout was used only for one episode of TNG, was because at the time DS9 had spent their budget for the year (part of the budget was used to pay off the set building for season 1). They still had thing they wanted to build for future episode. One of these things was the rear sets for the Runabout. As TNG still had a huge chuck of it budget to build new sets, the producer used the TNG budget. But to justify it, it had to be used for a TNG episode which is where we get the “Timescape”.
    As a funny side note, the set was never used as original built for on DS9. However it was used for parts of the Defiant when that was introduce the following year.

Over the last week I been looking around the web for good reference material and I have got a small collection that should be helpful in this build. The Runabout is far more detailed than I remember so it not going to be a quick build like the other shuttle have been.
    I have just blocked out the basic shape of the main hull and the clamps for the mission pod’s
    Still to block out the pylons and warp nacelles. Once that it done I should be ready to star getting into the cutting out the windows and door and also start details her up.
    With that said onto the Pic’s

200404-runabout-00.png

200404-runabout-01.png

200404-runabout-02.png

200404-runabout-03.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerP5ych0p4th