Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Galaxy Class

• lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    edited March 2020 #92
    Super close up of the escape pods. I wouldn't ever normally render at this kind of close range as thats when you have to start getting in to modelling individual panel gaps and such like, but it shows the pods. I might indent that black rim detail slightly to give it more detail but that needs to wait until after the modifier stack is all frozen in for these so that can wait. I'll also create more pod numbers and randomise them much farther down the line too. Imo they look fine as is at anything other than hyper close range though.

3ngwc7j0laku.png
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    evil_genius_180McClennier1BrandenbergLeoBerlinBillynom8Lizzy777Freak
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looks great to me. If you're not ever going to get close enough to see the numbers clearly, there's no real need to do different numbers, other than personal gratification.
    lewisniven
    Looks great to me. If you're not ever going to get close enough to see the numbers clearly, there's no real need to do different numbers, other than personal gratification.
    I'll just do a few, like the studio model. There's 5 or 6 different numbers that are just randomly distributed, I'm not going to number every pod individually.

That's good, because there's something like 400 escape pod hatches on the ship. ;)
    lewisniven
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    That's exactly what I do with escape pod numbering. 5 - 6 unique numbers while avoiding two of the same next to each other.

Looking great @lewisniven
    lewisniven
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    lol I do not even bother just use some random numbers that can be anything from a distance 0,3,6,9,8 etc
    lewisniven
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I know you mentioned it before, but now seeing it I love the subtle look you went for with the escape pods, they help with the scale a lot more this way.

Yeah, for my LCARS I used to do individual numbers at the start, then I realized each button is so small there's no chance they're seen. Most of my TUC era displays just have all buttons with 47 on them. :p
    lennier1lewisnivenZhor2395
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    0etgqxatuu0h.png
    lennier1Zhor2395evil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingerxiaorobearMcCWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFreak
    I think you nailed the perfect settings for that Aztec.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Looks like there's some texture pinching near the middle of the saucer to the port and starboard sides of the riser.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    Looks like there's some texture pinching near the middle of the saucer to the port and starboard sides of the riser.

Yeah there is, I've not finished that part yet.
    Lizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    OH WOW.
    Absolutely beautiful. Bravo so far.
    Not much in the way of updates. I tweaked the colours slightly on the saucer, just to bring the diffuse colour up a bit, as well as correcting the escape pod spacing. I've made a start on working out where the panel lines and decks will be on the seconday hull. The decks in the neck are a bit wobbly on the filming model so I will straighten those out on mine and have the conform to perfectly horizontal decks.

n2mbm0a4kykj.png

hedqvg2osq1q.png

Rekkertevil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777McCP5ych0p4th
    Panel lines are now my least favorite aspect of this, but the first ones are in!

2kosdqj48vlc.png
    lennier1Lizzy777MadKoiFishevil_genius_180Billynom8ashleytingerZhor2395McCP5ych0p4thBrandenberg
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    hah you'll change your mind once you start putting windows on the butt end of that secondary hull!
    lewisniven
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Straight panel lines are really difficult to do on something with that much curvature. So, my hat's off to you for getting those in and looking great like they do.
    lewisniven
    wdm3dcg6275c.png
    lennier1evil_genius_180Billynom8Lizzy777RekkertP5ych0p4thMcCBrandenberg
    Nice job lining up that textured paneling.
    Nice job lining up that textured paneling.

Thanks man, projected textures are the way forward! ;)
    lewisniven wrote: »
    Thanks man, projected textures are the way forward! ;)

That's usually what I use, unless I absolutely have to unwrap something.
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    Great work lewisniven! It looks amazing so far! This thing will look amazing when it's finished!
    lewisniven
    I'll need to rec-cut a few of these windows because I realised I'd made a mistake with some of them but this gives the gist, at least I've got the workflow down. Aztec also completed.

b0vx6ptu3jcb.png
    MadKoiFishBillynom8ashleytingerlennier1FreakRekkertevil_genius_180Lizzy777BrandenbergMcC
  • D-JotaD-Jota390 Posts: 47Member
    This is coming together great!

You have earned my envy; I long for the skillset you possess to make this happen (and Madkoi's too). - Pretty heroic stuff.
    I've attempted a few drafts of the Galaxy class over the years but... just no! =)

I look forward to more updates.
    lewisniven
    This is looking soooooo great. I bow to the master.
    lewisniven
    Counter intuitively, as I work from home I'm getting less time to work on this. That sai'd I've done a few bits. I think I'm going to have to start again with the neck detailing as it's not quite right and theres some bits im not happy with that I could stand to tidy up, plus a few of the windows need re-cutting anyway. I'll get round to that this week i guess.

zs3m5i51m8zy.png

nsautl3mtsvp.png

sc1t4w3cc1d0.png
    ashleytingerFreakBillynom8Warp Propulsion LaboratoryP5ych0p4thbilltfargoRekkertlennier1rojrenevil_genius_180and 5 others.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited March 2020 #118
    It might not be quite right but it looks utterly fantastic from where I'm standing. :p
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    evil_genius_180Brandenberglewisniven
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    It might not be quite right but it looks utterly fantastic from where I'm standing. :p

When you go to type something and someone already said what you were thinking. :+1:
    lewisniven
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Loving this so far!
    lewisniven
    Absolutely inspiring to look at.
    lewisniven