Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Sooo ... Anyone wanna talk about Sliders?

P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
edited March 2020 in General Discussion #1
i8ysmo111ceb.jpeg

Been rewatching Sliders again for the last couple of days. Oldschool. On actual DVDs 😅

That Pilot and the first two Seasons in general were just great. The creativity that went into those worlds and the storys they told through these lenses. Saw a behind the scenes interview with Tracy Tormé, the creator. He said, when he was working under Gene Rodenbery, he was told, that the networks let you tell pretty much any story as long as it is not set on earth. And he took it to heart for his own show.

And with the start of the third season they - meaning the studio - screwed it all up. All those stupid movie parodies, that make no sense from a scientific perspective. I mean actual magic or sentient fire? Come on!

I‘m wondering, what could have been. The show also still looks surprisingly good and pretty much everything in those first two seasons still holds up. And how can you not fall in love with Sabrina Lloyd, when watching the show? 😁

Anyway ... thought, someone might have some thoughts as well ...
Post edited by P5ych0p4th on
Tagged:

• rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I remember the show. I watched it, but I think I stopped for some reason, before it ended. I thought it odd that John Rhys-Davies was in it, since back then people in movies generally didn't take jobs on TV series.
    P5ych0p4th
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    @rojren ... yeah. I didn‘t care that much as a child but the show took a massive nosedive in the quality of the writing. Also they switched out almost the entire cast by the End of the series.

The behind the scenes treatment of Lloyd and Rhys Davies also must‘ve been less than stellar by the Studio executives.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    I stopped watching around hte time Kari Wurher replaced Sabrina Lloyd, not that KW was bad, just lost interest as they started offing off main characters regularly.

But if there was one show that deserved a reboot and would work in 2020, it would be sliders.
    P5ych0p4th
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    @count23 ... yeah. It wouldn‘t be easy to write it as a new season but with the four original characters but also not impossible. However I could live with a soft reboot. The nature of the show makes it easy, to have pretty much everyone of the original Gang guest star and you could revisit some of the earths, to see, how things went.

I read somewhere, that the rights situation is a little difficult, since no one knows, who actually owns the show. Here in Germany it‘s on no streaming service and you can‘t actually buy a digital copy.

Also: John Rhys Davies is over 70 and Derricks ans Lloyd don‘t really act anymore. At least on TV/Movies. Both of the creators haven‘t done anything either in a long long time.

Still ... in a TV Landscape starved for original ideas that also have brand recognition, I don‘t see, how no one is doing anything with this gem. Hell I‘d even take gritty cbs all access reboot 😅
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Didn't the whole story get really wonky towards the end after Wade stayed on Earth Prime? Human eyes..MMMmmmmmmm...LOL.
    P5ych0p4th
    @sorceress21 ... yeah ... after the second season nothing really made sense anymore. The introduced a villain, which the show didn‘t really need and tried to do something with the cromaggs, but it went nowhere.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    I didn't say to reboot it with the original cast, recast the series easily. But it's perfect for today's market.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I really liked that show when it first started, then they just ended up ripping off movie plots.
    P5ych0p4th
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift