Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Patton

• shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    Freak wrote: »
    Loving the colour you have picked.

Thanks. There are subtle variations of colors used, particularly due to the use of metal textures, with the exception of the "cloth" panels on the walls. I took a cue from STNG and Voyager in that regard. I also tried to strike a balance of light distribution, with closer attention to how the compartment would look without the core running, which explains the reason why there aren't any updated shots towards the core yet. I hope to have some new shots of those areas this evening or tomorrow. I really wish I had the time to work on this model more often, but for now, I do what I can, when I can.

In less than a week, I'll be having surgery, which means some recuperation time at home, which also equates to more time working on the model. =)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Two thumbs up!
    Two thumbs up!

Thanks. I didn't have enough time last night to post an update, since there were a lot of objects interconnected for texturing and I realized that the back end of the engine room needed the updated lighting (there's never enough time in the evening for me to do what I need to). I'll shoot for this evening for updated renders but preliminary ones I did already, do look much better.
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    An amazing looking Engine Room. I assume it's suppose to be late TMP/early TNG? Never seen the Patton before, but looks to be a variant of the Excelsior Class.
    An amazing looking Engine Room. I assume it's suppose to be late TMP/early TNG? Never seen the Patton before, but looks to be a variant of the Excelsior Class.

Thank you, and yes, to an extent. For a better frame of reference, think of the usage of the USS Lakota, from DS9, which was a refit Excelsior-era ship, with a lot of refinements. The refit Excelsior has always held a special place in my heart (as well as the Miranda Class), but with the modifications I designed for the Patton, made it a bit more specific to it's purpose. I never did get around to finishing it, partly due to not completely the interior deck plans to the extent that I did the USS Tempest. With all the recent interest, I may have to post the 2D plans, but for now, I have bigger fish to fry. :)
    I am still alive...

I have to admit, that over the past month, it hasn't been a walk in the park for me. Aside from the disappointing "lockdown" in my home state, my medical issues took the forefront of my life, which hasn't been easy to get through. I got low, lost my creative edge and didn't feel much for doing anything but concentrate on my health, what work I had to do for my job and mindless gaming to pass the time. I'm not sure what sparked the creativity again, but I'm feeling a bit better now, maybe a more positive outlook on things now.

Anywho, here is a render I did this morning to show off just a part of a greater plan to revamp things for the Patton engineering room. There were a lot of elements I wasn't satisfied with, coupled with the fact that my model was getting bloated with geometry that was taxing my rig a little much. With that said, I started over from the beginning, re-introducing components that have been checked and re-checked to make sure the model stays stable. While doing that, I gave more thought into the detailing of components (for example the monitoring stations), so I took my time in fixing them, as well as putting some thought into their build quality.

I;m not guaranteeing anything at this point, as far as completion and the only promise I can stick by is that this will get done, just not sure when. As I said, my health and employment come first, so whatever time I have free, i will try to stay the course.

Well, enjoy.

j800pjof9rqh.png
    evil_genius_180rojrenashleytingerlewisnivenP5ych0p4thFreakLizzy777Rory1707
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'm sorry to hear things have been so bad for you and I hope they continue to improve. That looks really good, by the way.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2011 Central OhioPosts: 1,244Member
    Take your time. Do things to keep yourself healthy mentally and physically.

And that looks fantastic.
    This render is a result of something I'd been very much wanting to do in the Engineering Room. It may seem a little proud in the way the logo is displayed on a ship, but I've seen it done many times (perhaps all the time) on board US Naval ships, where their log or banner if you will, is proudly displayed somewhere, maybe in the crew mess or as I've seen it aboard aircraft carriers, in the hangar bays. Honestly, this was an empty wall, out in the open and instead of filling it with more computer displays or some other mechanical components, I thought the glass logo would fit in well here. I also considered it being displayed in the engineering office, that seemed a little egotistical...maybe.

In case anyone wonders, this glass log is modeled, not textured, meaning that I took the time (probably more than I should have), to import the 2D logo from the ship plans, and brought it in to SU and created the 3D model of it. I also made one for Astristech, but that doesn't fit into the schema right now, so I'll tuck it away for a rainy day.

As for whether I like it...I like it, I'm keeping it, so nyaaa! :p

r4fsbxuld4z9.png
    BolianAdmiralashleytingerevil_genius_180FreakRekkertLizzy777Rory1707
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
    I like that. Kind of like how the Battlestars Valkyrie and Pegasus had their logos on the empty portion of wall in the CIC.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
    Very sorry to hear about the medical issues... I know how it is. I’m hoping the situation improves, and glad that at least mentally, you’re in better spirits.
    I like that. Kind of like how the Battlestars Valkyrie and Pegasus had their logos on the empty portion of wall in the CIC.

If you are referring to the new BG, I never watched it (I know, shame on me) but if it's the original, I used to watch it constantly as a kid (no reruns, that's how old I am) but I don't recall the logo on the wall.

Thanks for the well-wishes btw. in this particular case, I have to take it one day at a time. Music tends to help, especially a little Devin Townsend Project...get's the blood flowing. B)
    BolianAdmiral
    It's the newer Battlestar Galactica. I just did an image search, and they had their logo all over the place in the CIC. I'd imagine it's something fairly common in real world Navy, though. When I was in the Army, we had our Brigade logo all over the place. We even had T-shirts we wore for PT with that logo on it, instead of the ones that just said "Army" on them. So, yeah, unit logos are very important to military units.

Personally, I think that looks good.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Look after yourself, after all this is just a hobby.

Loving the ship logo.
    I can see why we never saw it all over the ship in Trek. As Starfleet is primary a Exploration service first and military second.

But we do know that Starfleet has a Marine subsection (M.A.C.O.S before the Federation was formed and Colonel West in Star Trek VI *Directors cut*
    So it would make senses that their ships would have it. Ships like the Defiant and Akira Class ships.)
    Look after yourself, after all this is just a hobby.

Loving the ship logo.
    I can see why we never saw it all over the ship in Trek. As Starfleet is primary a Exploration service first and military second.

But we do know that Starfleet has a Marine subsection (M.A.C.O.S before the Federation was formed and Colonel West in Star Trek VI *Directors cut*
    So it would make senses that their ships would have it. Ships like the Defiant and Akira Class ships.)

Being former military myself, I can understand a sense of pride in the vessel one serves on, and Starfleet really isn't much different, not from a military point of view but if you can recall from all of the Trek shows, once in a while, you can hear personnel speak of their ship with that very same sense of pride (Riker was good for that, at times saying "she's a good ship, with a good crew", or Sisko's ever famous quote at the end of DS9's run).

Let's not forget that those assigned to Engineering, don't get out much and kinda need that reminder of where they serve too, because they truly are the driving force. =)
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2011 Central OhioPosts: 1,244Member
    I like the logo/patch. It defines the set a little more from being just another engine room to the room on the Patton.
    shaved_ape
    More changes here, starting with the "Pool Table". The more I looked at it, the more I thought about creating a different one. I also started to populate the office, not seen much before. I fleshed out what I wanted in it, placed components but it's still not 100% yet. I also removed the black strips strategically, thinking more about their function. The design theory behind them was to maintain a positive seal for the emergency doors that lower from above, in case of an isolation scenario, core shutdown, core breach, someone farting, etc. I may incorporate the option to show those doors at some point in time.

Not as much progress today that I had hoped for, but I had work work to do...gotta pay the bills.

zjl6nc0cmeqk.png
    g3t1x7eafz2d.png
    ashleytingerRekkertLizzy777evil_genius_180FreakRory1707
    Nice, I like that pool table.
    Looks better than the one seen in TNG.
    Nice, I like that pool table.
    Looks better than the one seen in TNG.

Agreed. The one from TNG served its purpose, sort of like a proxy element, just to keep around for arrangement purposes, but after a while, I thought it was time to come up with something different. As I thought about it, and in keeping with how this ship was implementing newer tech into it's refit, making this into something that can evolve was the goal here.

Speaking of which, I will have a couple new renders today, showing off an "alternate" arrangement of the engineering room. Last evening, I was lamenting over the fact that SU was giving me fits again (performance issues) so as I was auditing my components, it's occurred to me that the the total model size (in mb), versus the component sizes, was way off, and I'm still not sure what it is bogging down the app. In any case, I gave this model a good hard look and realized that what was said a while ago about there being "a lot" of space, I made some pretty dramatic changes, and I'll let you all decide which works better, the later arrangement or this new one.
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Enterprise E had it's own one.
    WvCuWHX.png
    Rory1707
    As stated, here are a couple of renders of the alternate version. I shortened up the length of the front section of the engine room, re-oriented the pool table, removed the engineering office, configured the lighting, added more monitoring stations. The core hasn't been placed yet, as I wanted to show some unobstructed views.

5vboxp5mncnb.png
    t71pr5e3a80s.png
    ashleytingerFreakRekkertevil_genius_180Lizzy777Rory1707
    Last one for today. Spent almost two hours trying to adjust/fix/revise the ceiling lighting to what I wanted to achieve. Yeah I know, I changed the fixture again, but I think this one is a winner. Heading to the doctor for a visit and hopefully better direction on the next step of my issue.

wvmweqeau9qj.jpg
    Rekkertevil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777FreakRory1707
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    So what will the dedication plaque read? Perhaps;
    " We'll run thru the enemy like crap thru a goose!" ?? B)
    I like the alternative version.
    shaved_ape
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Great updates here, I quite like the new pool table in particular.
    Being symmetry obsessed, I love that alternate take hahaha!
    shaved_ape
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Thanks folks, I think I will stick with this one. The symmetry, so eloquently put by @Rekkert , does make a difference, but don't discount a radical engine room in the future. :p

As for the pool table, yep, that grew on me pretty quick too.

Going forward though, I will try to tone down the lens flares...we all know how that worked out for JJ Abrams. Hehe

Saw the doctor, I have 6 more weeks until the next hurdle, bad news is that no matter the result, it won't be a picnic, so I have to hot-foot it on this project before I'm laid up.

Thanks again to everyone for the great feedback and words of encouragement. :)
    Diving into custom LCARS textures. It's a two-step process since I know less than zero of using the likes of Illustrator or similar programs. I'm in my comfort zone of using CADD to do the design work, then it's a simple export to png and then applying the texture in SU. At the very least, I can create to-scale textures, so everything is uniform. This texture in particular is the most difficult since it disseminates from the 2D blueprints, so there's a lot of deletion and then sorting out roughly where all major systems are located. This alone is a WIP, since I am creating all of the buttons from scratch and as the schema of LCARS can be quite involved, there is a lot of "one step forward, two steps back".

ahypq77wn4oj.png
    Rekkertevil_genius_180FreakLizzy777Rory1707
    Last one of the table, moving on to the other displays now.

prfecak7dehl.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerrojrenFreakLizzy777Rory1707
    The Table display is looking good!
    shaved_ape
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,399Member
    Very nice pool table. I like your work.
    Get well soon, for you.
    shaved_ape