Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Patton

• shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    shaved_ape wrote: »
    Looking fantastic. That detail in the grates and being able to see underneath definitely adds a lot of realism.

Agreed. I could have gone with a transparent texture, to mimic the grating, but I had concern about depth, so I modeled the slats, according to the average dims used for this type of grating, according to safety specs. I also took some cues from the older Star Trek films, where they showed those scenes in the torpedo bay, the usage of the grating. The lighting within the mechanical recesses aren't as great as i would like it to be, but it works for now.

That kind of attention to detail is really what sells a design.

I always prefer modeled vent/grill holes and grating to textures with my work too.

I do as well, but with this much modeled grating, it's giving my cpu a workout! lol

Don't get me wrong, Vray's textures for grating works pretty good, but I wanted to ensure the depth of the grate was accurate. If you notice, as you change viewing angles at grating, the look changes, and since I have lighting underneath, I wanted that accurate too. =)
    scifiericevil_genius_180
    Just found out today that there was a new update release of Vray, so I got that installed, as well as an overdue update to Sketchup. I'm liking how the new update of Vray works with RTX cards now, and I think the renders turn out a bit better. Here is an updated view of a previous camera POV

vwh8ai8wl8ny.jpg

New "beauty" shot

1ip92lciyk0r.jpg

Last one, the view from the rear...nice rear, but needs more detail.

1yn97hf6n2ls.jpg

evil_genius_180ashleytingerRekkertLizzy777Freaklennier1BrandenbergRory1707
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    This just keeps getting better and better! :D
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    This just keeps getting better and better! :D

Thank you Sir, much appreciated. :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like your chairs.

The renders definitely seem to pop more with that updated version of Vray. Everything looks more vibrant and realistic.
    I like your chairs.

The renders definitely seem to pop more with that updated version of Vray. Everything looks more vibrant and realistic.

The stools are functional, not cushy, as an engineering control room should be. You don't expect crew to be seated for long periods of time either. :)

As for the new render look, that's a combination of upping the lighting illumination a tad bit as well as incorporating some realistic light bloom, which is a built-in function of Vray, post-process.

I have some further plan in store for the rear section of the engine room, perhaps incorporating some Jefferies Tube access, storage/emergency suit lockers of course, a shedload of labels for the rest of the model. lol

Odd as it sounds, after looking at the carpeting, it has a natural "wear pattern" to it, which shows off some sub-flooring design...very subtle, but it's there.
    evil_genius_180
    A little progress this evening...

zx4t3nsjvpkc.jpg
    Lizzy777Freakevil_genius_180BrandenbergRory1707
    A long, slow process of creating textures...grrrrr.

chlo0ya5ixro.jpg
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777BrandenbergWarp Propulsion LaboratoryRory1707
    Yeah, that kind of texture work is tedious. But, they're looking great so far.
    Yep, it's slow, but it's looking great! Will you be keeping the different color pallets on different screens?
    Yep, it's slow, but it's looking great! Will you be keeping the different color pallets on different screens?

Actually no. These textures are experimental, trying to get the scale right, which isn't easy. I'm sure there are easier ways, but for what I have, which is Affinity Designer and what wits I have left, it'll have to do.
    Some better progression in creating displays. I got the scale right, so now I can work it as a template for the rest.

ycmoqlame6a7.jpg
    Brandenbergevil_genius_180Lizzy777RekkertFreakRory1707
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Just great work man!
    Just great work man!

Thank you Sir. Coming from you, I take it as a great compliment. :)

Modeling has been more of my main strength than texturing. I guess there's no time than the present to learn.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    This looks fantastic!
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Boy you wouldn't know by your work that you are just learning textures.
    Took a moment of pause this evening to revise some things that have bugged me. I've got a soft spot for floor grating, so I've changed the flooring around the core chamber...I think it looks better. I also filled in some negative space in the lower level now.

a1cmtkyi7ra4.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777FreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryRory1707
    You can't go wrong with grating in an engine room. It adds to the utility look of the room.
    shaved_ape
    You can't go wrong with grating in an engine room. It adds to the utility look of the room.

Then I think it's safe to say, I was successful in conveying that image. =)

While I like the "glass" flooring we typically see in later ships, the grating gives off a more utilitarian vibe, more mechanical and less cushy (if that's a word).
    evil_genius_180
    Mmm, while it undoubtedly looks good, I don't know if the grate is very practical there. If an engineer working on the reactor chamber drops one of their tools, it could end up falling to the level below through the grates.

I love the details from the deck below! Are you planning on connecting it to the in-between decks side corridors? :)
    Mmm, while it undoubtedly looks good, I don't know if the grate is very practical there. If an engineer working on the reactor chamber drops one of their tools, it could end up falling to the level below through the grates.

I love the details from the deck below! Are you planning on connecting it to the in-between decks side corridors? :)

You make an excellent point, to which I have a logical answer to. The spacing between grating, based on safety standards, is small enough to prohibit fall-through of equipment items, people, animals, and even small alien creatures. I believe that the current spacing (based on US safety standards is 1 3/16" (about 30.16mm). If perchance, someone drops an M12 screw, yeah it'll fall through (even with a transparent aluminum floor, the screw could get lost in the carpet), but then again, it is doubtful that any such small piece would be worked with so close to the core chamber anyways, and if necessary, utility carts and trays would be in place for maintenance, which is typically conducted at starbases.

As for your second comment, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I assume you are speaking of the conduit tunnels and whether they are connected in the same way they are at the main engineering level, which the answer is yes, but just the upper and lower levels, as their necessity are relevant to the maintenance, though I haven't gotten that far yet in the planning. There are safety protocols in place, for the design of these junction tunnels, whereby the upper and lower level tunnels run the length of the lateral conduits, but when the conduit upturns towards the nacelles, only one tunnel is present, complete with ladder access, which is a pretty long climb. I will consider running the lateral conduits out away from the core, to the point of the upturn, to show how the plasma stream is redirected, via magnetic redirection contained within a 90 degree junction housing, complete with high-pressure regulators and energy dissipaters, to prevent buildup of plasma energy within the housing. It's a rather large component but necessary. A thickened hull, combined with separate shielding would also be in place, as this is a vulnerable area to the ship. I considered making the junction from 22.5 degree segments, to facilitate easier transition, but that would require a larger unit. Again, this is a future modeling consideration which I will visit at some point.

One feature I am currently mulling, are shock attenuators for the core assembly. We never really see how the core is attached from within, so there is this illusion that the core sits suspended in the air. Breakaway struts and shock attenuators would be more appropriate to show off here, not too different than what we've seen in the latest Star Trek films (e.g. the Kelvin Timeline NCC-1701, even though this set was shot on location at a real place).

Hopefully, this clarifies things a bit. :)
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Man, your work is beautiful and so detailed.
    shaved_ape
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Man, your work is beautiful and so detailed.

Thank you. :)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Okay, this is officially the best engineering room I’ve ever seen, period. I love everything about it... the layout, warp core design, colors... all perfect.
    Okay, this is officially the best engineering room I’ve ever seen, period. I love everything about it... the layout, warp core design, colors... all perfect.

Flattery will get you everywhere. B)

Seriously though, the shots you've seen (as well as everyone else has) thus far, may will change. Hold on, hold on, down with the pitchforks and hear me out. As I said from the beginning, this room has never really been seen before, specifically in Star Trek canon, ok maybe some elements are a direct reflection of designs seen, but the arrangement and idea is all mine, so in complete honesty, I make this up as I go along. About 80% of this complete, so I won't be doing any re-arranging, but what I AM doing right now, is going back through and verifying the components I've created as what I want as final. Last evening, I spent the good part of it, doing some revisionist design work to the consoles (actually only one, since it's a component and any changes to that one will reflect on the rest), but anyways, with my ever-changing mind, revisions have been made, incorporated some better lighting to them, which will in turn, reduce overall compartment lighting (those "clay" renders reveal the ugly truth behind over saturation lighting), so as I go through and tweak anything I'm not happy with, it eventually works its way forward to fully complete. Those devils in the details are kicking me in the stardrive, but it's all worth it. :)
    A new WIP, redoing some color schemes and textures. I'm also taking the time to revise some features, starting with the ugly lighting panels on the ceiling.

a4yht2hxnb2k.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBrandenbergRory1707
    Settled on a scheme now...not gonna touch it anymore. lol

Made other revisions, particularly with the wall panels, which I think look better now too...thoughts?

xoa7pnlpfz91.jpg

yo8aay49qnwu.jpg

Lizzy777P5ych0p4thashleytingerFreakBrandenbergevil_genius_180Rory1707
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    That look fantastic.
    That look fantastic.

Thanks @ashleytinger . Like the old saying goes "we are our own worst critic", and when it comes to my own designs, I find it hard to settle. Then again, some of what I had before, was probably a good idea to change a bit. Now that I have a scheme laid down, I'll go back through the rest of the model and start reapplying the textures, which shouldn't take long, as much of the objects are common components so when one updates, the rest follow suit.

I realize I've done zero for the engineering office, but not to worry, that's on my to-do list.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Loving the colour you have picked.