Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Patton

shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
Greetings Folks,

I know it's been a long while since I've posted here, and my previous project fell by the wayside. With my ill health of late, as well as "life", I haven't had much time for modeling, until recently. I felt a bit of a lull in the creativity department so, I started some "free design", basically nothing too big or involved. One thing led to another and then I had a stroke of inspiration in the form of an old 2D project I once did: The USS Patton. Below is a sampling of the 2D and then a couple of VERY raw WIP of the ship's engine room (I have a thing for engine rooms). Anyways, this is a new start, and maybe with a little luck, it'll become a thing. Enjoy.

ilqx9j73zy5w.jpg
97qy51p91aq9.jpg
od6fb6a3aif7.jpg
t26n1crqsj34.jpg

ashleytingerZhor2395RekkertWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFreakevil_genius_180Lizzy777Rory1707
Tagged:

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Oh wow, this is looking great! The Patton is one of my favorite fan designs, I had no idea it was yours.
    I feel like the overall room is a bit too big for the era, but other than that it's great! The consoles at each side of the pool table are reminiscent of the Voyager engineering consoles, while still being very much era appropriate, I love them.

I like the "hybrid" TNG/TMP warp core, and the steps to pass below the warp plasma conduits are a cool concept given the layout, I wish I had thought of that! :p
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    This looks fantastic. I love the thought that you put into the layout.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Loving this Main Engineering.
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    Beautiful and I love the colour
  • shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Oh wow, this is looking great! The Patton is one of my favorite fan designs, I had no idea it was yours.
    I feel like the overall room is a bit too big for the era, but other than that it's great! The consoles at each side of the pool table are reminiscent of the Voyager engineering consoles, while still being very much era appropriate, I love them.

I like the "hybrid" TNG/TMP warp core, and the steps to pass below the warp plasma conduits are a cool concept given the layout, I wish I had thought of that! :p

@Rekkert The Patton was a ship design I had a friend post to his website a long while ago, but had it removed due to "technical" issues. Since then, she's sat on my hard drive, not knowing if I'd proceed with deck plans (which I'd done for the Tempest). Part of that uncertainty was due to my increased usage of 3D, which ultimately, I embraced as my weapon of choice. :)

The size of the Engine room, actually isn't as big as it looks. I left the camera aperture set at a wider angle, due to the narrowness of the main work area (and as it is seen, the Chief Engineer's Office flanking one side) and allowing the viewer to get a sense of arrangement. I went a little unconventional with the design, due in part to the fact that the Patton is a ship that occupies a timeline, in line with the likes of the refit Lakota (from DS9). The Patton was a result of a major refit, combined with some structural revisions to fit the purpose of being a shuttle/fighter carrier. With that said, the odd warp core conduit geometry again is unconventional by typical standards because the core is inline with the nacelles, so I had no choice but to have the conduits run 90 degrees out from the core and then make a 90 degree turn upward (which get shown in this model at some point).

Funny you should mention the passthrough beneath the conduits. I had a bugger of a time, figuring out how I could get personnel on the backside of the core, then it hit me to create stairs down and then back up, which worked out beautifully, because then I could also have maintenance tubes run parallel with the conduits beneath, so in essence, those passthroughs are actually necessary for that, as well as accessing the backside.

The consoles are modified, or as I like to look at them, early versions of what became the standard console for the Voyager engineering room. There are only three in the front section of Engineering, while one sits tucked in the back, with conduit piping, flanking each side of it. The classic "glass floor", we've seen in other ships, has purpose, but more so for aesthetic reasons. I added the grating to give the room a more mechanical feel, and the pool table is a modified version of the Galaxy Class pool table, likely a upgraded or "slimmed down" version.

I'm whittling away at this, a little at a time, adding more detail to it before I add materials. To those who like the color, it's a bit overwhelming right now, due to the clay render style, but once the material are in, I'll have to do a lot of light adjustment.

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging comments. :)
    Rekkert
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This is off to a great start. I agree, the ship design is nice. :)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Looking forward to the progress on this! :)
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    THAT ... is ... SENSATIONAL! Wow!
    Making a bit more progress, changed the area around the conduits to allow for a walkway, which ultimately will be open to the upper deck, added some more detail too...
    65chatklf306.jpg
    39496p9cuvnp.jpg

Rekkertevil_genius_180mdtaashleytingerLizzy777rojrenFreakTralfazWarp Propulsion Laboratoryxiaorobearand 3 others.
    I spent the better part of this evening, trying to find an acceptable palette of textures for this model. I guess it works. More subtle details added, shut down the warp core for this shot. It'll be interesting how everything will look when the "blue glow" comes into play. lol

425if3lbfnk0.jpg
    RekkertashleytingerLizzy777Freakevil_genius_180Zhor2395Brandenberglennier1Rory1707
    It's a nice bold color scheme.
    @evil_genius_180 , thank you sir. After a while, it started to grow on me. To be honest, since this is the engineering room and we all know how bright it can get in there, I chose to keep the coloring a tad bit muted, so when the warp core is lit, it won't be so bright.

On a general note, I scrapped that the ceiling configuration, as it's been shown, opting for something different, since we've really never seen what the interior of an Excelsior-Class engineering room looks like (at least, not officially), so I am in the process of melding old style with new. I was never a fan of the fact that in ST:TUC, they used the Enterprise D's engine room (obviously to save some money on production sets), so for my ship, as well as being a heavily modified Excelsior in a later era, meshing the two styles is a challenge, but it's shaping up pretty well so far. I did a render last night, but it ended a bit late and I didn't have a chance to post it, but I'll get to it tonight.
    ashleytingerWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    Here's an updated render, just completed. I still have a bit more to revise in the rear section, as well as for the conduit access, then it's back onto more specific details.

ak14cucizq8l.jpg
    evil_genius_180rojrenFreakRekkertLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryslybrarianlewisnivenBrandenberglennier1and 2 others.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I'm really digging that
    That is one gouges engineering room.
    Thanks @ashleytinger , I do try. :)

@Freak , I assume you meant "gorgeous", right? =)

I would have posted a couple more renders last night, but a thought struck me in how I could create "flow", within the conduits, and I tried creating a texture to do so, but I fiddled with it a little too long and gave up, opting for a solid color for now. I may revisit that idea later, but for now, I'll get the rest of the backend of the room modeled and move forward.

Thanks again to all for the encouraging words, I do appreciate it.
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Very nice Engineering shaved_ape.

Just a curious query: Where does the centreline run through and from in the room?
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I just noticed the submarine-style hand rails on the wall. That's a great touch. :)

Formerly furswift
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    edited February 2020 #20
    I definitely like this! First, there's so much room to move around in there. And it fits that giant tubby stardrive section. It looks like it's inside that hull. The "pool table" is bigger, so you get the idea that it's an earlier version of what winds up in the D. And it looks like the side consoles pop out, you can close them when not in use.
    Post edited by BlueNeumann on
    @Nevets , the centerline of the engineering room, is a bit odd, in that from the core to the viewpoint is pretty much the centerline, and the "pool table" is off-axis, to accommodate the engineering office, to the right (off camera). This POV shot is a bit dramatic, considering the field of view being a bit wide, so it makes the room seems bigger than it is. There's no real hard rule that primary engineering monitoring needs to be in-line with the core, so I took liberties in that regard. When I nail down the overall placement of everything, I'll do some extra shots in key places to describe what is what, but for now, you can see a lot of floor grating, which covers equipment in the floor. Again, subsequent shots will show that off in better detail.

@furswift , those handholds are there for a real purpose. Think about it, how many times have we seen actors on set, get thrown about during a battle, and have nothing to hold on to? =)

@BlueNeumann , the 'pool table', is actually the same size as the D's, it's the POV that throws off the scale a bit. As for consoles, they are stationary, but I like the idea of them being able to fold down (like a leaf in a table), if they need to do maintenance in the floor beneath. I'll put that on my punch list, once everything is in place.

For now, I am still fleshing out the warp conduit tunnels, as I was them to be open to the deck above, and I'm also cleaning up some wonky geometry at the rear of the room too.

Thanks again for the feedback folks. This is probably the first time I've received so much great constructive feedback on my work over the years. :)
    I was able to spend a bit more time on this over the weekend and a little this morning...

Looking down into the mechanical recess, next to the "pool table"...

mcim41rh3183.jpg

Another wide shot of the engineering room, a little improved lighting and detail...

f23b93l5zodz.jpg

Started to delve into the Warp Conduit tunnels, but there is still much to do...

s25oxkripr2l.jpg

Lastly, a shot from the upper level, looking down into the Warp Conduit tunnel, again, more to do...

plv2zgytwnrj.jpg

Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergRekkertashleytingerevil_genius_180scifiericMadKoiFishLizzy777Rory1707
    Whoa! This is looking more and more like a real place! :)
    scifieric

Formerly furswift
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    That's very cool. Detail under the grating. Really feels like you photographed an actual ship.
    The interior stuff on this site is remarkable.
    scifieric
    Last two for the time being. I wanted to get my cameras set up for later progress shots, as well as verifying the warp conduit mount positions.

5anyfn9r0l2d.jpg
    41wwt1amxgx9.jpg

ashleytingerevil_genius_180Freaklennier1MadKoiFishLizzy777Rory1707
    Looking fantastic. That detail in the grates and being able to see underneath definitely adds a lot of realism.
    I am freaking loving the level of details you have put into this.
    Looking fantastic. That detail in the grates and being able to see underneath definitely adds a lot of realism.

Agreed. I could have gone with a transparent texture, to mimic the grating, but I had concern about depth, so I modeled the slats, according to the average dims used for this type of grating, according to safety specs. I also took some cues from the older Star Trek films, where they showed those scenes in the torpedo bay, the usage of the grating. The lighting within the mechanical recesses aren't as great as i would like it to be, but it works for now.
    Freak wrote: »
    I am freaking loving the level of details you have put into this.

Yeah, I try to stay detail-oriented with my work, so it takes a lot of pre-planning and visualization. Considering that this engine room doesn't actually exists anywhere, in any publication or media, I had to run the imagination into overdrive, while trying to keep it all as realistic as possible. I have to say though, that last image of the conduit tunnel, you can almost imagine the sound of the core and how it echoes in it. =)

In case anyone noticed, the signage (okudagrams) will be white background with dark grey lettering. It's another "transition" feature, from old to new (and it takes less work, suffice to say). :p

I'm NOT liking those couplers between the core chamber and the conduits, and I'll tell you why. When I pre-made the tunnels, I specified a length between the columns/conduit segment supports, and then realized that the conduit segments needed adjusted, so in doing so, I was left with a longer length between the conduit end and the core chamber, so i threw together an "idea" for the coupler, which didn't turn out how I wanted, so I'll revisit that this evening. I spent the greater part of last evening, re-organizing my layer system and assigning all my new work to them, so it'll be easier to handle incorporating more detail into tight spots. I have a shedload of isolinear chip banks to put in and then I think I'm ready to start putting in displays (which I am not looking forward to).

The back end of the main deck of the engineering room has been resolved and I even found some decent stools to place, with some modification, so no one has to keep standing in the engine room. =)
    evil_genius_180
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Amazing craftsmanship!
    As much as I admire John Eaves' talent, I really wish something like this would've been the style for the TNG movie sets on the ENT-E.
    scifieric
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Amazing craftsmanship!
    As much as I admire John Eaves' talent, I really wish something like this would've been the style for the TNG movie sets on the ENT-E.

I appreciate the sentiment, and with respect to John Eaves, he still did an amazing job with what he had to work with. I guess it's the way things go, in movies and in television. These artists churn out quite a lot of conceptual designs, but due to budgetary constraints, they wind up toning down and revising their plan, along the way. Look at what Andrew Probert had in store for the Enterprise D, and compare it to what we grew to love. In some respects, it was a huge difference.
    scifieric
    shaved_ape wrote: »

Agreed. I could have gone with a transparent texture, to mimic the grating, but I had concern about depth, so I modeled the slats, according to the average dims used for this type of grating, according to safety specs. I also took some cues from the older Star Trek films, where they showed those scenes in the torpedo bay, the usage of the grating. The lighting within the mechanical recesses aren't as great as i would like it to be, but it works for now.

That kind of attention to detail is really what sells a design.

I always prefer modeled vent/grill holes and grating to textures with my work too.