Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Galaxy Class

• lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    edited February 2020 #32
    Wanted to do some texture work so that I can start to get a workflow in place that I can roll out across all the texture maps. I'll probably do a lot of the aztec work before cutting all the windows and grid lines in.

f85mlgjnsfhb.png

Post edited by lewisniven on
    BrandenbergashleytingerFreakLizzy777McC
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Great job. I mean it!
    lewisniven
    edited February 2020 #34
    Great job. I mean it!

tweaked roughness map, much closer to where I want it to be now:

fsh9j7rszinu.png
    bf73ri5xoy79.png
    7dacldvxrak8.png
    Brandenbergevil_genius_180ashleytingerFreakRekkertLizzy777Zhor2395MadKoiFishxiaorobearMcCand 1 other.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks fantastic. I've always loved the details on the engines.
    lewisniven
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    That looks fantastic. great work!
    lewisniven
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This is freaking Stunning!
    lewisniven
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Looking amazing!
    lewisniven
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited February 2020 #39
    What they said - with my own exclamation point!

BTW : Does anyone else feel like the remastered CGI 1701 D was too rough looking? In some shots it almost looked like it was covered in roof shingles.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    lewisniven
    edited February 2020 #40
    What they said - with my own exclamation point!

BTW : Does anyone else feel like the remastered CGI 1701 D was too rough looking? In some shots it almost looked like it was covered in roof shingles.

Thanks! In my opinion the model we saw in the opening shot of picard wasnt great, they'd definately gone for the discovery asthetic of overly metallic ship surfaces, as well as the model not being particularly accurate. That said it was only on screen for a few seconds so I'm not too fussed.

Nacelle texture more or less done, need a few more bits on the underside but that can wait. I did this render then realised the delta has flipped (because this is the mirrored nacelle so I'll do it as a duplicated object going forward). Also the textures aren't quite meeting at the sides due to the projection so I'll have to address that.

qh9t1xcrgbmd.png

BrandenbergashleytingerMadKoiFishLizzy777FreakMcC
    Simply gorgeous.

Yeah I wasn't just talking about Picard series. I meant the remastered ST-TNG Blu Ray.
    Ah that was Tobias Richter's, it's a really good mesh, I thi k the issue was more the lighting and rendering on the blu rays wasn't great, like you say the normal map might have been a bit overblown too. It was probably trying to replicate the relief of the 4ft or something. That said it doesn't turn up much so it's not too bad, it could have been a lot worse!
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    STUNNING

Love the smoothness of the model before the texturing begins.
    lewisniven
    lewisniven wrote: »
    Ah that was Tobias Richter's, it's a really good mesh, I thi k the issue was more the lighting and rendering on the blu rays wasn't great, like you say the normal map might have been a bit overblown too. It was probably trying to replicate the relief of the 4ft or something. That said it doesn't turn up much so it's not too bad, it could have been a lot worse!

Tobias is a genius. But so far, I think I like yours better.

lewisniven
    I froze the sudb in for the main hull and started cutting details in, saucer impulse recesses, the seperation line, and the torpedo launcher area. Then it became clear that a) that shape was slightly off in places, and b) I could use another step of subd to tighten the mesh up. So I've wound back several file version now, doh! So here's where I was, and where I'll be back to hopefully soon!

5shk97ox0oce.png
    2naownkuamhv.png
    evil_genius_180FreakashleytingerMadKoiFishRekkertLizzy777lennier1BrandenbergMcC
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    stunning!
    modelled more of the deflector and had a play with the glow, will need some more experimentation i think.

lq05laqasnw0.png
    evil_genius_180RekkertashleytingerLizzy777Freaklennier1BrandenbergMcC
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    That's beautiful.
    lewisniven
    Maybe a bit more tweaking, but I think you're pretty much there with the glow.
    lewisniven
    edited September 2021 #50
    So something else that's been bugging me was the nacelles, they weren't 100% accurate and I wasn't comfortable with the geometry either, so I've gone back and remodelled them, far better polyflow this time and the grille profile is more accurate to the filming model;

h5l7ka7cgt37.png

Rekkertlennier1ashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180BrandenbergFreakMcC
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    This is some fantastic modelling, great job so far.
    Kinna wishin I had your engine paint job. Mine needs work for sure.
    edited February 2020 #53
    We have a bridge module! What a truly odd shape to try and model, I'm happy with this for now though. I added some small detail embellishments just to make it hold up a bit better on extreme closeup.

gukt0lhqvd06.png
    hfmf8v9xou76.png
    xqmlojcpk3i4.png

I also completely re-modelled the deflector area the other day and re worked the lighting, there's a much more even glow now;
    elzvsuh740hn.png

Brandenbergashleytingerevil_genius_180xiaorobearLizzy777Zhor2395FreakRekkertMcCgerb200
    You've outdone yourself. Crazy fine work.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I am in awe.
    edited February 2020 #56
    Still chipping away, just not much to show at the moment. I wasn't 100% happy with the observation room windows so re-did those to better reflect the them as they appear on the set, as opposed to the filming model, I think they look better this way. I've also been endlessly tweaking the deflector area, and well as tidying up the saucer shape. I this point I think I'm procrastinating before I freeze the subd in :/.

fsz9nutlky6n.png

I have also become a fan of this lighting;
    goz23mmibgzj.png

ashleytingerMadKoiFishevil_genius_180Zhor2395Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertBrandenbergMcCLizzy777
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Just wait until you can do that same shot with all the windows and details on the ship. It will look great. So I hope you will keep that camera there ready to go!
    The nacelles and glows are looking great so far.
    Having those windows match the filming set makes a lot of sense. One of the more notorious issues with Star Trek ships is interiors not matching the exterior.
    lewisniven
    kaden wrote: »
    Just wait until you can do that same shot with all the windows and details on the ship. It will look great. So I hope you will keep that camera there ready to go!
    The nacelles and glows are looking great so far.

I liked that angle so much I saved the camera position there so I can keep coming back to it, great minds!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    That looks great, and yeah doing the windows to match the interiors is the best choice. I remember having to redo the obs lounge windows on Stage 9 to match the interior, so you're saving on time down the line. :)
    The only issue we couldn't solve was the ready room window, it originally wasn't even on the model, it was added on the repaint for Generations and it has a totally different shape than the inside window.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    @Rekkert I wasn't aware that the ready room window was added in the gen repaint, I've had a look at the christies photos and can't see it :/

I've frozen the sub-d in a re-cut the seperation line (excuse the weird geometry above the impulse engine, thats some cheating for the time being). Also made a start on working out how I'm going to aztec the saucer.

ch9d9ve75984.png

gwtlsgkyd9e4.png

evil_genius_180McCashleytingerRekkertLizzy777FreakWarp Propulsion Laboratory