Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DViper's miscellaneous Star Trek projects

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great to see you back at it, Viper. :)

Ah, the Akula class. Always makes me think of Starfleet Command. Great work, as usual.
    Viper
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    Finished the last few touches on the main shape of the Akula. She's ready for details and then texturing.
    akula19.jpg
    akula20.jpg
    Freakevil_genius_180lennier1xiaorobearashleytingerLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryMcCsrspicerwibble
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very Nice!
    I like the upper pylon.
    lennier1
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    As usual you are doing a fabulous job Viper. At the same time I have to admit I am not a fan of this type of design. However, I like this more than the saucer with just one engine layout.
    Yikes, it has been 3 months since I last updated. I haven't been idle, thought I had to slow down a lot because of the pandemic. Anyway, I've been working on several different projects, but I recently finally figured out what I wanted to do with the TOS Connie, so the plan for now is to finisher her. In the below images, only the top of the saucer is textured, but the same idea will be aplied to the rest of the ship. A few details still missing, namely windows, but that's all coming soon.

tos-constitution40.jpg
    tos-constitution39.jpg
    tos-constitution38.jpg
    evil_genius_180P5ych0p4throjrenLoopholeWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777lewisnivenBillynom8BrandenbergFreakand 1 other.
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Damn, that lighting is beautiful!
    Viper
    Looks great so far. I really like the bussard collectors. Are the panel lines modeled or bump mapped?
    Viper
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I really like the lights in the bridge sensor dome. :)
    Viper
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    Looks great so far. I really like the bussard collectors. Are the panel lines modeled or bump mapped?

They are modeled. I'm trying to keep the texture size manageable, and to do it via textures would mean needing larger texture. But, even if that was not a problem, I would still do it modeled. It's part of making the ship look like it was actually assembled.
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Gorgeous and love the warm lighting
    Viper wrote: »

They are modeled. I'm trying to keep the texture size manageable, and to do it via textures would mean needing larger texture. But, even if that was not a problem, I would still do it modeled. It's part of making the ship look like it was actually assembled.

Oh, I agree, modeled is the way to go. It's just that they're so subtle, that's the only reason I asked if they were a bump map. But, subtlety is definitely the way to go with details on the TOS ship, so they look great.
    Viper
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2492 UKPosts: 463Member
    Incredible work as always.
    Viper
    Cheers :) Small progress today, textured the bridge:
    tos-constitution41.jpg
    Rekkertevil_genius_180P5ych0p4thBillynom8lennier1ashleytingerBrandenbergLizzy777FreakMcCand 1 other.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Love how you're doing the lights, they definitely sell this as a physical model.
    evil_genius_180P5ych0p4thViper
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Love how you're doing the lights, they definitely sell this as a physical model.

I was just about to compliment you on that dome lighting, but Rekkert beat me to it. :)
    Viper
    Rekkert wrote: »

It's a simple setup. I have some geometry inside with a chrome material, some balls that have the emissive material and then the dome is a glass with glossy refractions. Takes a while to render though.
    evil_genius_180
    Super work. Love it Viper.
    I finished the Akula this weekend. Couple of renders:
    akula33.jpg
    akula34.jpg
    MadKoiFishRekkertevil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingerrojrenBrandenbergFreakwibble
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,399Member
    Nice Mesh
    and you are back =)
    Viper
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9782 Posts: 5,321Member
    Loving the lighting and surfacing. Something about TMP era stuff that still makes me grin after all these years.
    RekkertViperBrandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    She looks great. I always liked that ship in Starfleet Command.
    Viper
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2012 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    She came out fantastic.
    Viper
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Wow gorgeous lighting! That just a key light with GI bounces? Great ship lighting too
    Viper
    Thanks everyone :)
    trekki wrote: »
    Nice Mesh
    and you are back =)

I was never really gone, hehe. I have been working on a ton of stuff. Just haven't posted here yet. I'll give some updates in a bit.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Loving the lighting and surfacing. Something about TMP era stuff that still makes me grin after all these years.

Cheers! And yeah, agreed. TMP is my favorite era. I'm going to do stuff in other eras soon, but I have a lot of plans for stuff in TMP and pre TNG.
    japetus wrote: »
    Wow gorgeous lighting! That just a key light with GI bounces? Great ship lighting too

Thanks! Actually, here it's a key light and a few lights around the ship to give light up the dark side a bit. I don't use a skylight as it it makes the whole thing too uniform.
    edited July 2020 #327
    I'll give some updates on the stuff I've been working on. First off, the TOS Connie is kind of halted. No issues or anything, just haven't felt like working on it lately. There's a lot of grunt work coming up (cutting windows, adding details, uv mapping) so I need to be motivated.

So the other thing I've doing is slowly working through the interiors for the Kusanagi. I also updated a few things that I wasn't 100% happy with. First off, originally I had some grills on either side of the deflector. I removed them and added prototype pulse phaser cannons. I just felt like the ship needed a bit more firepower :tongue:

kusanagi308.jpg
    kusanagi307.jpg
    kusanagi309.jpg

I also changed how the panels were colored on engineering a bit:
    kusanagi274d.jpg

I added some more detail on the weapon pod and catamarans. Everything just felt empty. Still need to finish some greebles on the weapon pod, but you'll noticed I added a couple of phaser turrets as well. Also excuse the fact that only one side has the green vent. It's on both sides now.
    kusanagi291.jpg

Finally, I've been working on the interiors. These are all WIP. Conference Room:
    kusanagi297.jpg
    kusanagi298.jpg

Hangar Control room:
    kusanagi304.jpg

And a random shot:
    kusanagi310.jpg
    Post edited by Viper on
    RekkertBrandenbergevil_genius_180FreakLizzy777japetuswibble
    And here are a couple of higher resolution renders. Same, lighting, camera and settings. Were just tests, but they came out great :)

constitution202.jpg

kusanagi311.jpg
    Rekkertevil_genius_180ashleytingerMadKoiFishFreakLizzy777
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Holy cr@p! Viper ... your work on these models is SENSATIONAL!

Of course, my favorite is for the original series Enterprise, and it is gorgeous!
    BrandenbergViper
    edited July 2020 #330
    I have to agree with everyone else. You haven't been gone, you've just been outdoing yourself. :3
    And the Refit Era is my fav too. I never get tired of the engines. I really like the deflector on the Kusanagi (9 renders above).
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Viper
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I know I'm repeating myself but the way you illuminate your models really brings them to another level, and I love the self-illuminated look of the TMP era.

Also, those interiors for the Kusanagi are shaping up very nice!
    Viper
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio