Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Galaxy Class

lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
edited October 2020 in Work in Progress #1
Thumbnail:
zwrkdk9fo6uf.png

Bit of a long term project this one, I've had it going a while as shown in my Akira thread and I suspect it'll go on for quite some time, but here's where I am so far. I've spent a long of time gently tweaking the form and to my eye the secondary hull is now pretty close but I'll keep playing with it. I'm using the 6ft model exclusively as in my opinion its the much better looking model, I'm not going to tweak the saucer to account for ten forward either.

gwwcge25s56u.png
bm2w4laqracn.png

Next up I'll probably sort the junction between the secondary hull and the saucer as that's very rough at the moment. Then move on to sorting the nacelles out.
Post edited by lewisniven on
evil_genius_180ashleytingerMcCFreakMadKoiFishLizzy777
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks gorgeous so far. I agree, the 6 foot model is the superior model. It's not that I don't like the 4 foot, I just like the shapes better on the 6 foot.
    lewisniven
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    People always ask for wireframes too so here's how it looks at the momeht;

qeuabtxlw6cq.png
    xi3dhk1nff53.png
    evil_genius_180McCFreakRekkertkomaroMadKoiFishLizzy777Brandenberg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    That looks great. I love the elegance of the 6 footer, but the 'bulldog' feel of the 4 ft model worked really well for the more war-like stories in DS9
    lewisniven
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Stunning!
    lewisniven
    46wysppcfh28.png
    ashleytingerMcCevil_genius_180MadKoiFishRekkertLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    Such a beautiful design and a modeling nightmare. (I've never attempted it, but I can tell it is) You're doing wonderful work on it.
    Proportion wise I'm pretty happy with where it is now;

r5h8eqa65cou.png

It was pointed out on the discord that having the engineering hull and saucer as seperate meshes would make for headache when it came time to trying to get them to marry up exactly, and I agree. I could spend weeks carefully moving vertexes trying to get the seam perfect, but it'd be easier to work with a single mesh and then cut them later. I've just spent a while pulling everything about and marrying the 2 meshes in to one single sub-d object. Much cleaner, splitting them again should be fun... :/

gj53tydv0uim.png
    qxryhi0nwrgq.png

evil_genius_180ashleytingerMcCLizzy777FreakMadKoiFishZhor2395Brandenberg
    Warp grilles, attempt number 937...

mqnyik7dwriw.png
    McCLizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFreakBrandenberg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    So very nice!
    lewisniven
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Very nice, before I build mine as a single mesh, I tried to subd the engineering and saucer seperately. I never got it fluent.
    But I still spend hours to get the right seperation line. :p
    lewisniven
    nightfever wrote: »
    Very nice, before I build mine as a single mesh, I tried to subd the engineering and saucer seperately. I never got it fluent.
    But I still spend hours to get the right seperation line. :p

I've already spent ages trying to get them to line up, I've given up, a single mesh is the way forward. I might not model the cobra head anyway so if I ditch the seperation function I'll just get away with a deep panel line.
    evil_genius_180
    If you're not planning to have the ship separate, it makes sense to not go through the pain. Really, the ship hardly ever separated on the show anyway.
    If you're not planning to have the ship separate, it makes sense to not go through the pain. Really, the ship hardly ever separated on the show anyway.

And the stardrive section looks really awkward on its own!
    lewisniven wrote: »
    And the stardrive section looks really awkward on its own!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Love those wireframes!

Honestly, I kinda like the stardrive, but in a "so bad it's good" kinda way. ;)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    wdfy88nnyhxw.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreakLizzy777RekkertsrspicerMcCBrandenberg
    That's gorgeous.
    lewisniven
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Ah, this is looking lovely!
    lewisniven
    Right so I spent some time playing with the bussards and cleaning up some mesh errors. I guess soon I'm going have to stop messing around and just freeze the subd and get on with it!

vytqm68vo6o7.png
    qksuo3dgjzx6.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerMadKoiFishRekkertLizzy777McCFreakBrandenberg
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Looking good.
    I'm wondering if I should do the same with the warp grill on my fighter, at the moment it is kinda frosted glass with the coils and everything behind it. Maybe the copper parts would look nicer.

Oh and before you apply the subd make a copy of the subded mesh in case you need to fix smoothing errors, you should be able to transfer normal data over and fix any weird problems with shading.
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    "All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by..."
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
    Rebuilt the entire neck and transition in to the saucer, far happier with it now. I might freeze the sub d as a test and cut some details in to check im happy with the proportions with context.

v3si4rlpjmog.png

wq5lj84mv5pz.png

ashleytingerRekkertWarp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180FreakMcCZhor2395Brandenberg
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited February 2020 #24
    I love the smoothness of the model, and the quality of your lighting for the impulse engine and nacelles.

The only thing that looks odd to me are the pylons, firstly due to the extruded area you have on the top, IMO that should be a lot less pronounced. See here from the model.

Secondly due to the shape of their aft end going from one nacelle to the other. It looks a lot more curved than what I can gather from the model. On certain angles such as the last render from post #20, where the area in question is very brightly lit in contrast with its surroundings, it looks very irregular, where the model itself looks to be a lot more smooth. See here and the bottom image here.

Just my two cents, I might be wrong. As mentioned before I love the progress you're making on this mesh. :)

Also, just in case you didn't already know, ST Bilder here has more than 200 closeups of the original TNG model from the time it went on auction, it's a great resource for details like these. :)
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    lewisniven
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited February 2020 #25
    That is an incredible resource, thank you! I have a big folder if the Christie's photos but there's loads on that link that I've never seen.

You might be right about the rear edge looking at it. I've used orthos of Tobias' Richter's model as my starting point as it's (imo) the best and closest to the 6ft out there. That said it's not perfect and I've already deviated from it in some areas. I'll revisit it now I have those pics. Cheers!

Edit: This is why I'm so nervous about freezing the sub d in!

Edit 2: the raised bits on the nacelle struts are very rough, I just threw them on for the hell of it, they've definitely be made much shallower. I intend to keep the surface very smooth, as per the model. Most CG models of the Galaxy have far too pronounced surface detail imo. On the model escape pods etc were basically stickers. I intend to respect that.

Post edited by lewisniven on
    Rekkert
    I've tweaked the curvature slightly here, it seems to be one of those things thats very angle dependent though. This seems better to my eye.

wc5vkgmwux1l.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777scifiericFreakMcCMadKoiFishZhor2395Brandenberg
    edited February 2020 #27
    I'd suggest freezing the Sub D and then saving the file with a slightly different name. (IE: add a "1" to it, or something) That's what I do when I do major things like freezing Sub D, so that I can go back if necessary. It's saved me from having to completely start over on a project more than once.

But, it's definitely looking terrific. The smoothness and cleanliness of your work is always a joy to see.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Lizzy777scifieric
    I'd suggest freezing the Sub D and then saving the file with a slightly different name. (IE: add a "1" to it, or something) That's what I do when I do major things like freezing Sub D, so that I can go back if necessary. It's saved me from having to completely start over on a project more than once.

But, it's definitely looking terrific. The smoothness and cleanliness of your work is always a joy to see.

Yeah I always increment the file, we're on '12' so far with this one. It's less that and more than I know I'll freeze it, then do 15 hours of detail work, realise I'm not happy with the shape and have to go right back again. Ah well, all part of the fun of 3d modelling!
    scifiericMcC
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    I get even more obsessive than that -- every single time I save, I increment the file name!
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9708 Posts: 5,302Member
    Worse here increment on save then I clone copies of things in a junk layer. Just to avoid the look around in hundreds of incremented saves! I also archive the things and save em as rars on a backup hdd. >_> It all depends how stable you app has been over the years etc. Me max was one to crash a lot in edits so lots of saving to avoid loosing work. Also having a auto backup save feature. Every 30min or longer depending on how large the files are and how long it takes to save.
    lewisniven
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    lewisniven wrote: »
    I know I'll freeze it, then do 15 hours of detail work, realise I'm not happy with the shape and have to go right back again. Ah well, all part of the fun of 3d modelling!

Yep, I've lost whole days' work with that process. Like you said, part of the fun.
    lewisniven