Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Salcombe - Star Trek Beyond

• PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    It's pretty interesting for sure. I'm still not used to the upside down shuttle bay doors, but I guess when you think about it, it could work. The platform for the shuttles would simply be on what what used to be the "ceiling" and visa versa.

Yeah, it's not something that's typically done in Star Trek, that's for sure. They have an occasional call-out to artificial gravity fields and whatnot to add realism to it, but not too many instances of something being completely flipped like that.

Well, I didn't mean the gravity would be flipped in the shuttle bay. It would still be "right side up" in relation to the rest of the decks. The floor would just be closer to the small center of the door, instead of the widest part of the door.

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited February 2020 #33
    Well, I didn't mean the gravity would be flipped in the shuttle bay. It would still be "right side up" in relation to the rest of the decks. The floor would just be closer to the small center of the door, instead of the widest part of the door.

Ah, I misunderstood you. Yeah, that works too.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Either that or the shuttles are hanged TIE fighter style. :lol:

Looking great!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    edited February 2020 #35
    Here we see a starship gingerly carrying precious cargo. The singular egg that she'll have to tend to for the next several months as she travels the stars. Like many generations before her, she'll navigate the space lanes and return to the red sands of Mars in order to facilitate hatching.

It will be a treacherous journey as the vast ocean of stars is fraught with danger. However, the effort will be worth it as the class of starship is renewed for a new generation of space-faring adventurers.

Y13dWLU.jpg

Post edited by Lizzy777 on
    srspicer
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member

Liking the cheeky shuttlebay inspired story. The bay's location and shape does suggest a 'biological' analogue of sorts, but I digress....

The 'inverted' bay doors look great - best solution for the hull layout IMHO.

Gorgeous work mate :)
    Hmm..the more I look at the wording and style - I think we have Sir David Attenborough posting here as Lizzy777!

Come on Sir Dave....own up :#
    Lizzy777publiusr
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    shipfisher wrote: »
    Hmm..the more I look at the wording and style - I think we have Sir David Attenborough posting here as Lizzy777!

I may have watched "Planet Earth" a few more times than is healthy. ¬_¬
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    that is a gorgeous model, big fan of that.
    lewisniven wrote: »
    that is a gorgeous model, big fan of that.

Thank you. I'm not sure if I mentioned it yet, but I plan on making it a public release once finished.
    lewisnivenWarp Propulsion Laboratory
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Great, thank you.
    I like this timeline. A very nice ship.
    I need more Kelvin timeline ships for my project

At the beginning of Enterprise A construction sequence in ST:Beyond, there appears to be a Reliant/Miranda style ship passing above and behind the Ent A. It seems to have the characteristic rollbar and underslung nacelles (pylons visible at least - engines would have been behind the Ent A engineering hull)

As you're doing such fantastic work here, it might be worth tracking down any reference material you may have a source for, if you're looking to expand the fleet.
    youtube.com/watch?v=AH6XBXPUai4

You can see the 'Reliant' type ship in the clip. At least that's what it looks like to me.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I need to watch Star Trek Beyond again.
    edited February 2020 #45
    I need more Kelvin timeline ships for my project

At the beginning of Enterprise A construction sequence in ST:Beyond, there appears to be a Reliant/Miranda style ship passing above and behind the Ent A. It seems to have the characteristic rollbar and underslung nacelles (pylons visible at least - engines would have been behind the Ent A engineering hull)

As you're doing such fantastic work here, it might be worth tracking down any reference material you may have a source for, if you're looking to expand the fleet.

I have built the Realta and Salcombe as "hero" high detail models for my project. Also, I do indeed plan to make a Kelvin Timeline Reliant. However, it will only be made to be medium detail because in my shot it's not close to camera. It will be somewhere in between a game model (more detail than) and a hero film model (not as detailed as).

There is VERY little to go on from Beyond, but I might incorporate some of what can be seen into mine. The only other official Miranda class design we have for the Kelvin Timeline is the U.S.S. Vanguard from the comics.

latest?cb=20190423114230

latest?cb=20190423114658

So again, you can see, it's a very loose interpretation that will allow me plenty of artistic freedom to play around.

As to the Salcombe, I hope to have an update tomorrow evening.

Post edited by PixelMagic on
    Lizzy777
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    There's a shot of a Kelvin era reliant type in the first film, admittedly not much to work with...

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=46646&fullsize=1
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited February 2020 #47
    If you're looking for other Kelvin timeline designs ideal for low detail, background stuff; the 4 original ships designed for Star Trek DAC might be useful, as they have very unique looking shapes while still clearly Starfleet. I quite like the missile cruiser from the game. You can briefly see each ship here.
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    If you're looking for other Kelvin timeline designs ideal for low detail, background stuff; the 4 original ships designed for Star Trek DAC might be useful, as they have very unique looking shapes while still clearly Starfleet. I quite like the missile cruiser from the game. You can briefly see each ship here.

Thanks for that reference. The shot all these ships are going into is a large battle fleet (think First Contact Starfleet vs Borg cube). Any inspiration will help me fill out the background. I was just going to do Kelvin kitbashes like the movies do, but then I was like "Nah, I need to give the fans something new to see, we've seen these Kelvin bashes for 3 films."
    Rekkert

latest?cb=20190423114230

I like those nacelles - sort of a TMP hybrid thing going on. Cool.

I'd like to assume engines like that are hiding behind the Ent A engineering hull in the ST:Beyond end sequence.

Sorry I've managed to lose the quote framing after re-posting your image mate.

Bad form on my part :o
    edited February 2020 #51

latest?cb=20190423114230

I like those nacelles - sort of a TMP hybrid thing going on. Cool.

I'd like to assume engines like that are hiding behind the Ent A engineering hull in the ST:Beyond end sequence.

Yeah. Star Trek Beyond takes place in 2263. The idea for my fan trailer takes place in 2267. In the prime timeline during the late 2260s and early 2270s, they were starting to refit starfleet ships to their TMP appearance. So by my reckoning, it would be ok to start seeing some proto-TMP Kelvin Timeline design elements by 2267. The Enterprise-A at the end of Beyond still has TOS shaped nacelles, but perhaps other ships built months after the Ent-A would start to have experimental new nacelles somewhat similar to the TMP ones but with Kelvin universe aesthetic.

I once converted the Enterprise from Nightfever to the Miranda Class. The basic object is from Nightfever.

8wrddshg7dtu.jpg
    wolfman
    trekki wrote: »
    I once converted the Enterprise from Nightfever to the Miranda Class. The basic object is from Nightfever.

8wrddshg7dtu.jpg

That's cool, but I think I will take mine in a different direction. In Beyond, it looked like starfleet was beginning to move away from the completely organic lines of the 1701, and more a combination hybrid of organic and angular designs (Ent-A, Salcombe), so I think I will be shooting for that as well.
    JMP11
    Can you see the nacelles before?
    trekki wrote: »
    Can you see the nacelles before?

I don't understand the question.
    sorry my English is not good.
    Can I see the warp engines?
    edited February 2020 #57
    I have now completed modeling the upper front of the Salcombe. Also put a mix of final and temporary textures to get an idea how how it'll look. Nacelles are temporary (but accurate) by Alexander Klemm.

Bck9pIQ.jpg
    yy6g1WG.jpg
    W7CNQ2v.jpg
    rBDc249.jpg
    7OwTsFt.jpg
    RD1UcfI.jpg
    SV0pAEC.jpg
    TTfxPS3.jpg
    IqwhS3H.jpg
    CmQ0Lch.jpg

evil_genius_180ashleytingerMadKoiFishJMP11xiaorobearRekkertLizzy777Freakshaved_apepubliusrand 3 others.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Great work!
    Ok I understand. Thank you
    You are doing a great job.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member

Now for some WALKING DEAD voice-over work, on the lives and habits of zombies.

I really almost bit off more than I could chew with this this Salcombe, but I'm making it work. The Enterprise-A has a very sculptural form, where the secondary hull, pylons, and nacelles all blend as one piece. I am carrying that same aesthetic over to the Salcombe. This took me four attempts, but I think I have it.

2bLjoyV.jpg
    8RCIuxF.jpg
    HSvMjIi.jpg
    VszqYeG.jpg
    t3AwXeV.jpg

komaroWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180srspicerFreakwolfman