Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DOurnal Spacedock

nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
My Ournal Spacedock is finally done. It comes with interiors for the main hangar.
Polygon count is 373,000. Sounds not much but the heavy stuff are the textures. As the station’s height is nearly 7 km. they need a lot of details to get the scale. So, there are about 375 megabyte of PNG textures.
All shading and lighting is done in Redshift. The main hangar has a lot of lights, so I baked them into a 16bit EXR light and GI map for faster renders.
There is still a lot to do to get the model exportable, so I’ll take some days to make it downloadable.

bhmua1ivmx3c.jpg
o2iml7qcwer1.jpg
ll6lmew51mjw.jpg
umlgju1tz4ns.jpg
2nzwq9j0eeib.jpg
Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakashleytingerBrandenbergP5ych0p4thRedeyessrspicerpubliusrand 1 other.
Tagged:

• trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    This is the best space dock forever !
    Very nice Nightfever :)
    japetus
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Beautiful work.
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Wow! I've always loved this spacedock and you've done it justice. Great work!
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I've never seen a better looking Spacedock model. But, that's typical for the quality of work you produce. :)

Even texturing them, I'm sure it took a while to do all of those windows. There's got to be at least a couple million of them. (not exaggerating)
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    edited January 2020 #6
    Thank you all.

The windows were not that time consuming. It's a simple shader with displaced tiles masked by a ramp to get them in line. Then baked to the texture.
    I even built a procedural shader for the whole hull paneling. But as Redshift's native C4D shader support is still in its infancy, and for better sharing they come on textures, too.
    Post edited by nightfever on
    evil_genius_180scifieric
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Got to love the old Mushroom Space Station.
    Really nice work.
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    gorgous work! awesome. thnx for posting
    scifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Fantastic work on this. It looks great.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    nightfever wrote: »
    The windows were not that time consuming. It's a simple shader with displaced tiles masked by a ramp to get them in line. Then baked to the texture.
    I even built a procedural shader for the whole hull paneling. But as Redshift's native C4D shader support is still in its infancy, and for better sharing they come on textures, too.
    I've been doing work (off and on) in 3D for over 30 years and I have to say that I think I got some of what you typed about the windows, but I know I'm missing something. "... masked by a ramp" is what threw me. I've never seen or heard that terminology before. I believe I can guess the meaning from the rest of the sentence, but wow! That's awesome!
    It's a black and white gradient (called ramp in some 3d apps), that I used as alpha mask.
  • gusdorfgusdorf175 Posts: 51Member
    Stunning work thank you for posting.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Sweet...
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Great job. I cant wait to see more. This is one off the best I've ever seen.
    Here is a picture of the station.
    All objects are from Nightfever.
    ckjuu0jgpy9u.jpg
    Lizzy777FreakBrandenberg
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Wow, loads of work there! Its beautiful!
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Where'd you get the refs for the space-exposed hangars under the mushroom top? I can't find anything decent quality that isn't just blurry screenshots from the movies.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Simply amazing!
    I'll never get tired of the beauty of this behemoth and you've certainly done her justice.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    This is beyond amazing.
    Another picture

f7m5g2hn3wzi.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180FreakBrandenbergpubliusr
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Beautiful!
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    Fantastic work. I remember I spent years on and off working on it, trying to get every detail right. I did model the windows for close ups. Love the color scheme on yours.
    Thank you, I used some available renders of yours as reference. I was blown away from your model back then.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Beautiful !!!
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Epic, love it! Great job on the texturing and your solution to all the windows especially. I've been wondering lately if ILM refused the death star reactor core model for the interior of the space dock. That floor looks very familiar! But I've never seen any BTS shots. Stunning work!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    The interior is just to die for.
    Thanks. Having a little animation in my render queue.
  • JasonAdankJasonAdank33 Posts: 29Member
    Alex, I must say your models are extremely impressive, and it was when I saw this one I felt the itch to go back and fire up some trek stuff again - I havent done so in years. Its a beautiful station, it renders absolutely gorgeous once the light is in place. Thanks so much for making your models available to the public!
    Feel free to visit my now archaic Renderosity Gallery.
  • jwax33jwax331 Posts: 1New Member
    Wow, I love this. It's my favorite space station. Did you ever make it downloadable?
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    all nightfever's work is available from his website https://www.alex3d.at/
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class