Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9714 Posts: 5,302Member
    Laying out grids, these will be shallow extrusions later on. Also extruding out the rim panels. These will be sub paneled like the ones on the SOV. (basically what I have done for all my late TNG stuff.)
    jigoku-class-339.jpg
    after this probably do the bottom or get to making a decision on the backside bits of the saucer.
    FreakRekkertLizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    so pretty a ship. I adore your design style
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
    The little sub panels in and the sensor insets on the rim are done, need to get around to bending the greebles into them later on. I need to locate the asset file for them. I had thought to do something other than Voyager like rounded slots but just made the round Voyager like pits in the end. might undo them and have another go. We will see. Also knocked in the docking port into those cut outs.

jigoku-class-342.jpg

jigoku-class-343.jpg
    ashleytingerscifiericrojrenLizzy777Zhor2395evil_genius_180Freak
    edited January 2020 #1445
    Sensor doodas in. Might have to alter materials some as I just replaced a few from the stock stuff. Need to go around and redo all the materials in the older files.
    jigoku-class-344.jpg
    Applied darker materials as the test render of just the sensors looked to light but oddly once placed in the ship they now look too dark! heh. oh well.

Reminds me I probably will round off the chamfers on the pits the sensors sit in atm it is a single chamfer. They were pretty soft on the voy and other ships other than the Galaxy. (well sov and galaxy were just grooves mostly)
    different material on the base parts.
    jigoku-class-345.jpg
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The sensor arrays look great and your line work is always some of the best.
    Stuck a docking port in the nose ala Voyager. Not sure if I will follow through with it. Had to adjust out all the locking brackets as the one on Voyager were doors with all that behind. Also rounded out the pits more.

Altered the REG number as well.

jigoku-class-347.jpg
    jigoku-class-348.jpg
    Lizzy777Zhor2395evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreak
    It not only looks good, but it also seems like a practical place for a docking port.
    More nose work and some additional plates to even out the rim plating. A bit dodgy in the modeling but you need to get really close in to see it. Good old extruding off a compound curve and needing rounded features across that curve. >_>
    jigoku-class-349.jpg
    Been looking at voyager pics to get ideas of markings etc but never realized my Voyager folder is so sparse. Almost all I have is what you see at ex-astris. I would think the ship would have gotten more than 2 semi fuzzy flash photos from christies or least a set of decent modern digital shots in about that timeframe but all I can find are the 2 seen at ex-astris. T_T
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/intrepid1.htm
    originally went looking for images of the markinfs just above the forward docking port. Almost all the non digital images are so grainy and jpged up you loose the detail of that area of the ship or it is cropped off. Avoiding anything with the cgi model as it lacked a lot of markings and of course the "experience" model as that was just whack period. Heck I get more results for people's kit builds and scratch builds than I do the studio model.

What is funny is I reference Voyager a lot for all those funny decals over the years and just never noticed how few refs there are. Most are fuzzy magazine scans from the late 90s.

oh I do have a few small images that Doug posted at drexfiles way back but all of the wrong areas of the model.
    Zhor2395Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreak
    It not only looks good, but it also seems like a practical place for a docking port.
    I am always a bit meh about putting things right in front on starships. I tend to shy away from windows and bits of stuff not plating or shield arrays. But yes it is the easiest access point for say a station or other odd shaped vehicle as finding a side mount area that is the widest projection on the side of a ship is not always easy or viable. I think this is why VOY got the one in the nose. Not to mention DS9's design and things like the defiant docking nose in but having a huge deflector there even though people seemed to walk through it to board. . . . lol
    evil_genius_180
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    So it only lets me click the like button once
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Damn.

Dan, you have been busy. Long time my friend.

Ship looks fantastic.
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Looking great. Do you use a procedural panel texture for the main colour?

Also have you seen this? there are some newer renders of the cgi model from the show. Complete with the bendy decks.
    http://blog.trekcore.com/2013/07/voyagers-visual-effects-creating-the-cg-voyager-with-rob-bonchune/
    edited January 2020 #1454
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I am always a bit meh about putting things right in front on starships. I tend to shy away from windows and bits of stuff not plating or shield arrays. But yes it is the easiest access point for say a station or other odd shaped vehicle as finding a side mount area that is the widest projection on the side of a ship is not always easy or viable. I think this is why VOY got the one in the nose. Not to mention DS9's design and things like the defiant docking nose in but having a huge deflector there even though people seemed to walk through it to board. . . . lol

Yeah, the whole thing with the Defiant was dodgy. Supposedly, some of the nose plating in the curved part above the deflector slid aside to allow access to the docking port. But, there's no way it got close enough to the station due to the extreme curve of that part, and it's unclear how far the station's ports could extend to reach a vessel. However, it never looks like it extends much at all if you go by the airlock interior set. I'd guess the ship was supposed to extend a tube to the station to create a seal. They always seemed to be careful to have that area in shadow when the ship was docked, likely to avoid showing that it doesn't really connect. ;)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    As always, dropping by this thread is a consistent joy. Loving all your work. :D
    edited January 2020 #1456
    Yup, avoiding the cgi version old or new as they are missing a bunch of the decals and small markings. Or they are bitmapped in so they are really blurred up. Really wanting studio model photos in high rez. ATM the old mechanics mag scans offer the best results given they are missing about 30% of the ship's details. (bits not photographed)

Oh I also use those revisited greeble add ons done for the borg invasion thing. Only time I refer to cgi unless it is (I THINK) IRML's wip images

I do have the borg4d ones Doug posted a while back I think this is the same model sans the added details mentioned in the article. And yeah those decks are O_o

Bits I was specifically after were the decals just forward of the nose nav light.

eww green was the WRONG color to choose.

Looks like I will be dealing with win10 sooner than wanted as mentioned in a GD thread my server is taking a slow final crap. GOOD RIDDANCE X58. Crappiest gen of hdw ever. Given in 2013 I replaced the x58 system with my 4770k and a 770gtx just 2 years later shows how crap it was.

ATM I have decided on a 3900x Ryzen on a ASUS ROG crosshair 8HEROmobo (want those usb ports and versions) Sadly the lower cost mobos lack all the usb 3.2v2 or only have one or 2 3.2 v1 ports FFF

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gd6ndm

Only thing I am on the fence for is the Ryzen stuff. heard nightmares about drivers and chipset stuff but most of all of that is from aug and sept.

The 1500 does though include a nice case, and a nvme m.2 and a 320AIO all things I could do without if I have to. Prices at PCpart are ehhh as amazon and newegg offer combo deals that can drop the totals about 60~120usd.

I might also hold out a few months to see if prices lower, ryzen 4 series is rumored to not arrive until 3rd quarter so I do not see 570 boards and 3 series cpus dropping much. Ram and ssd/nvme is projected to double so eh.

PSU and ram I am a bit of a loss on as so many brands I was used to are gone and replaced by stuff that looks or have names that sound SOOOO dodgy.

Since I waffled on about hdw here is a render with some ribbing ideas to give something to the nose of the ship. Dunno, originally thought to add raised ribs like some of the ones voy had on the hull in places. I might leave them of fin the end.
    jigoku-class-350.jpg
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777Freak
    The details are all looking great. :)
    kaden wrote: »
    Looking great. Do you use a procedural panel texture for the main colour?

Also have you seen this? there are some newer renders of the cgi model from the show. Complete with the bendy decks.
    http://blog.trekcore.com/2013/07/voyagers-visual-effects-creating-the-cg-voyager-with-rob-bonchune/

OOPS missed the question,
    no I use a few bitmaps of corroded alum and a old non rastered/aa (no blending between the panels) panel map. I do use a AO shader and a few others that are I guess Procedural in that they are not rastered bitmaps.

Hopefully this flowchart means something.
    jigoku-class-351.png
    the bitmaps with the gray mess in are the same hull pattern. The army green is the corroded metal this is mostly texture surfacing. Another version of the same map is used in the gloss slow, all use color correction for fine tuning and alteration of the base maps.

ATM the maps are all screwed up a bit as this ship should render like the IOWA does but this version or MR has issues and does not render like MR in 2013 as it is lacking settings or controls. All Stuff I need to go in and fix later.

• kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    That's great thanks.
    I kind of understand the pic and how it works. I am working in blender with its nodes, but I think I can get the same idea across. I should be able to try out some things.

I am working on making a base material for my fighters hull, and I liked what you have with the slight panel work. Of course the fighters scale is a lot different to a big ship.
    Eventually it would be nice to have a set of materials to just drop onto models.
    I would definitely shoot for surfacing over any diffuse mapping.

Most of the day was spent dealing with the damned server blue screening and arguing with the enviro HDR and getting my hull material to look the way it SHOULD. I am guessing some of it is more 2017 oddness. Like those blotchy surfacing I had issue with a few months ago. turn things on and off and stuff works as it should again. GO FIG. Outside of this and some re-planning of small stuff that affects nothing visual all I got done today that was worth a update is the "floor" of the deflector well. I wanted to eliminate that block of hull that is needed for the butt end of the torpedo launcher so elevated panels and plating. Also cloned in some valve things off another ship for some visual relationship.

jigoku-class-355.jpg
    jigoku-class-356.jpg
    jigoku-class-357.jpg
    ashleytingerZhor2395evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    Where I left things last night. More stuff in the deflector recess and finished up the lifeboat insets.
    jigoku-class-359.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777Freakevil_genius_180Zhor2395
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Stunning as always.
    Not a huge change just some plating and decals. Been busy researching hdw for the pc upgrades.
    jigoku-class-360.jpg

Thinking of a EK kit for the cpu as AIOs are now in the 170usd range and well they only last 5yrs give or take I have been lucky the 2 I do have are from 2011 and 2013 and only the old 120 unit is noisy with obvious more air in it then when new. Doing the GPU atm I think is a bit useless as it is a rx570 and well heh. Spend more on a block than the gpu is worth! I dunno when though that I will upgrade it 2060/2070 likely or whatever comes out in a year 3060/3070 lol but those would probably be 500- and 700 if NVIDIA keeps up with the price hikes each model. Def avoid AMD for gpu in the future though. Sleep bugs are worst annoying but have yet to run into game issues as I do not think I have gamed since swapping out the 770. >_>
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryFreakLizzy777evil_genius_180
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Yeah 3ds Max tends to play nicer with the Nvidia GPUs. I think it likes the CUDA architecture. Great details on the ship BTW. They really add scale and the deflector looks great.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    AMD gpu I have more issues in daily running than anything in MAX atm. My 2nd and 3rd monitor do all sorts of strange shit when coming out of sleep. One on the DviD cable gives me color snow, the hdmi one will randomly restart as the amd card resets the hdmi port for some strange reason.

AMD/ATI has never gotten drivers right. I do not think I have had a card from ATI that has pulled strange monitor shenanigans since AGP was introduced. Had hoped this sort of strangeness would have been fixed over the last 2 decades.

small update that upper room has windows and a interior now.
    jigoku-class-361.jpg
    jigoku-class-362.jpg
    FreakLizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180Zhor2395LeoBerlinlewisniven
    Looking great as always, MKF. :)
    A soso attempt at plating and detailing the flat area around the windows. Shrug

jigoku-class-363.jpg
    jigoku-class-364.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    It looks good to me.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Yes, very pretty!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Same here, particularly when seeing the whole ship. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Junk in the central well, and a image of the front of the ship.
    jigoku-class-366.jpg
    jigoku-class-367.jpg
    ashleytingerBrandenbergLeoBerlinevil_genius_180Lizzy777Zhor2395FreakWarp Propulsion Laboratory