Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DScifieric's 2019 USS Enterprise

• scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Looking amazing! :D
    Wow! Thank you, Chris2005!
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Looks like a real object indeed, amazing work Eric!
    That is VERY kind of you, Rekkert!

Gentlemen, I'm flattered! Thank you for looking in and for your encouraging words!
    A small amount of progress.

Made some changes to my temporary textures and added more of the windows and ports. The spires on the warp domes are now gold. The "glass" textures no longer makes those fireflies. It's a mix of transparent and metal.

The angles I selected where based off of pictures taken by the original effects crew when they got the 11 foot model, and an image from the second pilot. I should get to the banners today on the Engineering Hull and perhaps the warp engines. Then I hope I can start to texture.

82-Side01t.png
    82-Rear01t.png
    82-Side02t.png
    82-Delivery01t.png
    BrandenbergashleytingerMadKoiFishLizzy777evil_genius_180FreakZhor2395
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Always wondered why they went with that blue on the neck and not elsewhere on the ship.
    scifieric
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Always wondered why they went with that blue on the neck and not elsewhere on the ship.
    Me too! According to Gary Kerr, it was a varnish (or similar semi-transparent coloring agent) that was sanded off for the second pilot ... on the starboard side of the model. However, some of it remained on the port side! He even had a picture.
    I think one of those old GIF files from the 90s shows it a bit in the photos taken when it arrived at the smith. All full of ugly gif and 90s 14.4 baud downscaled quality lol. I do not follow much to what is said and not shown. A real hater of super secret proof that is never released to the public.

Do wonder if it was a test of something and someone decided not to and never reverted it in time. I have read the ship had like 4 or 5 "refits" prior to the final broadcast version, more than the commonly referred to 3. have to wonder how much as due to demands of Gene or other in production not liking the early versions or just a lack of time and patching bodges or mistakes. Odd changes like the right of way markers going from those 5 and 7 o clock positions to the centerline, the change of the extended light in the 3 holes to those being filled in with plexi tube later on.
    scifieric
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I was WONDERING what was up with the blue neck. I'm not sure I ever noticed that before.
    scifieric
    Yeah you can see it if you find old promo photos or those viewmaster prints as those come off of the old film stock which is probably comparable to 1080p depending on the layers of printing the particular shot is. The way they composited then more efx or reuse the more "prints" or layers of film there are. Often some sfx were using printed masters too. Reason some shots are super dark and grainy.

Also did not help emulsions then were pretty weak in the blues so it is fairly desaturated out and well, they used bluescreen so a lot of that was lost in the reflections. Again loads of the shots have blue spill all over them. Most telling is the glossiness of the neck. Also watch out as some of the color images out there are B&W some git decided to colorize and have made rounds in peoples references as original color images.

I do forget if in the later versions (final on screen ones) if the blue forward on the neck is that same blue or something else.
    here is one of those images I mentioned about the smith. It has been resaved as a jpg by someone at one time. I had a set of these once but never found the original gif files or anything of higher quality. One of the trio was a lower shot of the neck on that side, I think the woman in the image is holding some of the loose wires in it. (flash image) I also think this is when those images of the close ups of the Xmas lights for the bussards came from. Oddly those are all B&W

gifpic-tos-smith.jpg

Would really love to get mitts on any photos people took when the thing was on loan to anyone and everyone in the 70s. There have got to be some pre smith images out there. Or at least pre lets paint it in rattle can gray and stick all sorts of odd crap on and hang it from the ceiling!
    scifieric
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Would really love to get mitts on any photos people took when the thing was on loan to anyone and everyone in the 70s. There have got to be some pre smith images out there. Or at least pre lets paint it in rattle can gray and stick all sorts of odd crap on and hang it from the ceiling!
    I would as well. I would love image from when the built the thing in the first place too! And some of these do exist (at least the 1970's images) since people forwarded them to the Smithsonian for the restoration project. Man, I'd love to dig through those!
    Here's a quick test of two items:

1) The placement of the pennants on the side of the ship.
    2) A new (and faster) method for me to put my credits on images.

PennantPlacement01.png

I'm fairly happy!

Open to suggestions.
    FreakLizzy777P5ych0p4th
    Different material settings, different materials, different render settings ... and some of the registries and pennants.

84-PennantColors-C.png
    84-PennantColors-D.png
    P5ych0p4thLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    I did something to the side image for fun last night. Same image with some desaturation, higher contrast, and simulated film grain.

84-PennantColors-C2.png
    Lizzy777Zhor2395
    It feels like a lot of work for only a little progress.

I do think I have pretty close to the final settings for my textures. The bridge is textured, all the rest are materials.

85-Details-D.png

Ignore the neck, I'm still adjusting the colors and material settings. I'll have more control over the final result when I actually texture the thing. This shot is to imitate one of the publicity shots of the 11 foot model of the Enterprise after it was delivered by Datin's team. I'm starting to get fairly happy with it.

85-Details-E.png

And another homage to yet another first pilot 11 foot Enterprise publicity shot. Not quite there, but getting closer.

85-Details-F.png
    Lizzy777ashleytingerBrandenberg
    Also, wanted to have some fun. Not the right version of the Enterprise, not the right font, and the wrong screen ratio, but still fun (for me)!

WhereNoManFun03.png
    Lizzy777FreakashleytingerBrandenberg
    Getting there.

86Signs-G.png
    86Signs-F.png
    86Signs-E.png
    86Signs-D.png
    86Signs-C.png
    86Signs-B.png

I still have to work on the Impulse Engines (obviously), the markings on the upper saucer, markings and lights on the back of the lower saucer, the signs on the bottom of the Engineering hull, and I think I still need to include the markings on the bottom of the Warp Engines, but I'll have to research that to be sure.

Thanks for looking in!
    Lizzy777
    I KNEW there was something wrong when I was posting the last set of images. I was simply too tired last night and didn't notice the incorrect yellow marking on the rear of the BC deck. Sorry.

86Signs-H.png
    BrandenbergLizzy777
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I have never seen but like that last angle on this ship.

I've been meaning to mention that your topmost bridge dome is too tall/big. Unless you were making that design change on purpose.
    scifieric
    I have never seen but like that last angle on this ship.

I've been meaning to mention that your topmost bridge dome is too tall/big. Unless you were making that design change on purpose.
    I am remaking a very particular version of the USS Enterprise.
    oeaftoh3yb5y.jpg
    This is how the model was built and delivered for the first pilot. Even the second pilot retained the tall bridge, but cut in the "viewscreen" at the front.

For the production (series version) they cut down the bridge and made it smaller!
    Here's what it looked like for the second pilot, Where No Man Has Gone Before.

3augckpgjby1.jpg
    Lizzy777
    Then they cut down the bridge at about the level of the top of the "view screen" for the series.

l2fvzoq5phvg.png
    Lizzy777
    I know I'm not there yet, but getting closer by the hour! The signage is done, except for the numbers on the port side. That should be easy enough.

I still have to work on the Impulse Engines and the "lights" in back of the shuttle bay. But all the rest of the markings are done.

This is an imitation of the only shot done with the 11 foot model of the Enterprise in the first pilot that was reused in so many episodes, including the second pilot, The Corbomite Maneuver, Charlie X, and others. I haven't set the lighting, nor is anything other than the bridge textured yet, but this helps give me an idea if I'm on the right track. I think so.

86Signs-N.png

Thanks for looking in!
    Lizzy777ashleytinger
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    I like it very much. When you're done you have to make some big walpaper, ok?
    scifieric
    trekki wrote: »
    I like it very much. When you're done you have to make some big wallpaper, ok?
    It's a DEAL! And thank you!

I'm tired and I'm going to get some sleep. Later today, I'll duplicate the markings on the port side. I'll also thin those rear end-cap warp details. I think they are too wide.

Forgive the render from the aft port side. The only times we ever saw something even close to this angle were:

1) The three foot model at the end of The Cage.
    2) The shot of the Enterprise as it fired on Lazarus' ship at the end of The Alternative Factor.

After I take care of those two minor details, I'll get started on the texturing.

86Signs-O.png
    86Signs-P.png
    86Signs-Q.png

Thanks for looking in and good night!
    xiaorobearashleytingerLizzy777
    Modeling is done.

Now to move on to texturing.

86Signs-S.png
    86Signs-T.png
    86Signs-U.png
    86Signs-V.png
    86Signs-W.png
    86Signs-X.png
    86Signs-Y.png
    86Signs-Z.png

All done in Blender 3D.

Thank you for looking in!
    ashleytingerLizzy777FreakMadKoiFishD-Jotaevil_genius_180
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Outstanding work Eric. It is amazing what can be accomplished in the hands of a master.
    scifieric
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Outstanding work Eric. It is amazing what can be accomplished in the hands of a master.
    Wow! Thank you, my friend! You are far too kind.
    Did a little texturing on the Navigational Deflector / Main Sensor Dish (big dish in front of the Engineering hull) tonight. Last night I came up with my own version of a "glass" shader. It is being used on the bridge dome (upper planetary array), the lower saucer dome (lower planetary array), and the "lit" dome above the shuttle bay. Some may not be aware that the first pilot for Star Trek (The Cage) had no internal lighting at all for the models!

Some people who are paying attention have pointed out some things that I had on this model that technically didn't appear until later. I think I got most of them, but there may be more. If you spot something "wrong", please point it out to me.

I hope to accomplish a little more day-by-day.

Let me know what you think.

88-TextureDish-A.png
    88-ShuttleBayDomeLight-A.png
    88-CageCompare-A.png
    88-DeflectorDishLowerPlanetSensor-A.png
    88-DeflectorDishUpperPlanetSensor-A.png
    87Fixes-C.png

All done in Blender 3D.

ashleytingerLizzy777FreakD-JotaWarp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180MadKoiFish
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Wonderful work!
    Love it !
    scifieric
    trekki wrote: »
    Wonderful work!
    Love it !
    Thank you, my friend! I appreciate your kind words!

Working on texturing a little. Neck and upper saucer.

88-TextureNeckA.png
    88-BCDeck-B.png

All done in Blender 3D.

FreakLizzy777evil_genius_180
    This one is just for fun.

i4r1f1pkx1wg.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak