Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I have some downloaded images from this site of this huge starship. I think the artist called it an Excalibur class. All the tiny windows... it appeared massive. I seem to remember some comment about star destroyer-sized Starfleet ships. Was that you? Some of the images did show other canon Starfleet ships in comparison. Some in the shuttle bay. It was quite a ship. I periodically consider doing something massive like it too.
    Oh forgot to mention that I thought it was a beautiful ship. I still look at the images now and then.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    No that was not me, I did those ships back in mid's 90's all drawn.
    Long before I found this site. I don't have the pic's anymore.

But I would love to see the one your talking about.
    edited January 2020 #665
    Here are a two of shots of it. The artist had two Oberth class science ships parked in a couple of bays in it.

4o6j9d523oo7.jpg
    1jfa96dcuwkh.jpg
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Warp Propulsion Laboratory
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Ah the venerable Excalibur. I used to use that back in my Bridge Commander days. Never saw it with that torpedo pod though.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    furswift wrote: »
    Ah the venerable Excalibur. I used to use that back in my Bridge Commander days. Never saw it with that torpedo pod though.

Do you know where that is from? Did I download the renders from SFM or somewhere else? And it was part of a game?
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    The Excalibur was a ship created by a member of the modding community for Bridge Commander (I forget exactly which member). It was also to be the hero ship for the defunct Star Trek Excalibur fan made video game, but was replaced by DJ Curtis' Enterprise F. I'm not sure where you got the renders, but I haven't seen those before. It does appear to be modified (elongated and the aforementioned torpedo pod).

Here's a screen shot from the game:
    29njgjh13bgl.jpg

Formerly furswift
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9781 Posts: 5,321Member
    edited January 2020 #669
    It was someone who took the old mesh and altered it to a much larger ship. The WIP is from here. I forget if he posted elsewhere. Oddly, I could swear it was much larger than the images next to the SOV. Vaguely remember miles being talked about.

For something sop large I would think the format of a fed ship might alter.
    Id suggest you look at modularity, a colony ship think maybe everything assembled for a large ship then say a detachable patrol ship AKA typical small fed ship like the Voyager then compartments that could act as a orbiting facility and modules to bring down to the planet to become base buildings for the community. If you want to go a double saucer maybe a stacked one with the detachable patrol ship being one saucer the other being the base unit for a orbiter.

modular-st.png

something like this, lower ship is upsidedown, and really nothing really needs a up or down but figure bits can be reconfigured etc into the orbiting base and ground support etc. I would think the botanical labs would stay in orbit to protect from crop failure etc.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Lizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratory
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Here are a two of shots of it. The artist had two Oberth class science ships parked in a couple of bays in it.

4o6j9d523oo7.jpg
    1jfa96dcuwkh.jpg

Thanks for posting those.

The scale here is not right with the Sov, just looking at the Sov windows compared to the ones on this ship. The other ship should be a lot larger I would say around the size of a large starbase.

I also agree with Dan, If the Starfleet was to build a ship of this size. They would not go with a standard Ship design.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9781 Posts: 5,321Member
    edited January 2020 #671
    Ah shoulda spent the time with a search,
    https://forums.scifi-meshes.com/discussion/76318/
    Instead I spent most of it yelling at cats as I found 3 of my usb3 cables chewed into something nasty.

Sadly photofukit was used so most of the content is junk watermarked or just plain gone.
    oh some ar on the sfm hosting.

89300.jpg
    in there is a SOV under the star destroyer.

least I think this is the elongated version.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2011 Central OhioPosts: 1,244Member
    Is that a star destroyer/death star style hangar in the saucer of the Excalibur???
    edited January 2020 #673
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    It was someone who took the old mesh and altered it to a much larger ship. The WIP is from here. I forget if he posted elsewhere. Oddly, I could swear it was much larger than the images next to the SOV. Vaguely remember miles being talked about.

Thanks for the search. To give the original artist credit it was @stfanboy and earlier images in the thread depicted the ship smaller than later ones. Early in the thread someone noted a mismatch between the window size on the Sovereign class in the above photos and so he enlarged it even more. At that point he was putting Nova Class starships in his "miles long" Excalibur hangers. You were right @furswift, he had grabbed the design idea from a ship for Bridge Commander.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    For something so large I would think the format of a fed ship might alter.
    I'd suggest you look at modularity, a colony ship - think maybe everything assembled for a large ship then say a detachable patrol ship AKA typical small fed ship like the Voyager then compartments that could act as a orbiting facility and modules to bring down to the planet to become base buildings for the community. If you want to go a double saucer maybe a stacked one with the detachable patrol ship being one saucer the other being the base unit for a orbiter.

I had actually considered sending you a private message @MadKoiFish for a design thoughts on a ship like this. You seem to come up with stuff I like so much.

I was certainly thinking of modularity but hadn't thought of also having a starship for local exploration and materials for an orbiting station. Valid points. Very valid. Also to leave the Botanical modules in space, does offer protection from weather disaster.

My choice for a double saucer was based on the fact that there are a limited supply of rooms on saucers with an outside view. Like on a cruise ship, the interior cabins are cheaper but a bit claustrophobic, especially if the trip was a long one like a space journey to another planet (imagine all the interior room, given the volume of the Excalibur @stfanboy did). At the same time I like the general Starfleet design with its saucer, neck, main hull and engines and still sought to make this as graceful looking as possible.
    edited January 2020 #674
    This is work I had done before all the feedback. The name and registry number are actually going to change.

5fcmgy7zu3uk.png
    From the Back

ou7xvo9vuo1g.png
    Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180ashleytingerFreak
    I love the "Silent Running" arboretum domes on the back. :)

Formerly furswift
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    First of all, I love your model work. It's always fantastic and your materials look good too. But, that design is a bit "out there" for my taste. I think it's because I'm not a big fan of doubling up on things like saucer sections (or secondary hulls.) But, the secondary hull on this ship is quite fantastic. I really like the giant "box" look that's obviously a cargo area, the tanks in front and the giant arboretum domes up top. Plus, four nacelles really balance the design well. It has a nice utilitarian look to it, which you'd expect in a colony ship.
    Thanks @evil_genius_180. I appreciate honesty more than not. And of course it just means that when an honest person says something good, you know they mean it. 👍🏼
    Thanks @furswift.
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 68Member
    The idea of two saucers is definitely intriguing and not one I've ever thought of. The ship you're showing isn't exactly how I would imagine it; instead of two primary hulls I would integrate a saucer shape into the secondary hull. You can almost see this idea in the hull flares on the Enterprise B.

dgryhu704k63.png
    Standing among giants
    edited January 2020 #681
    I also wonder if part of the aesthetic issue is that they are the same size. I’ll probably play with making one or the other a different size. Thanks for your thought @Loophole, I'll play with that.
    Loophole
    edited January 2020 #682
    If my argument is that I want more colonists to have outside view instead of interior view, then smaller saucers actually increase the exterior surface area versus internal volume and make sense. I do plan to add windows to the spine/neck of the ship and also more to the large saucer as well. So here are two different versions to "Vote" on. In addition the topmost smaller saucer could be incorporated into an orbiting station. The engines could be detached and joined to the large saucer for a ship. Oh I should add, I did increase the size of the two "Silent Running like" botanical structures.

r7uqmt5otqqo.png
    l895r6f1dmm3.png

I'm also looking at Olympic class like spheres for more colonist area. I tried one and didn't like it but I might not have hit on the right idea yet.
    xiaorobearFreak
    The upper of the two from a rear shot.

8rg4ug1axeye.png
    Freak
    Or two side by side on top.

v4fsdhm9s5jp.png
    8wizrobpyqwa.png
    gu65pfa5niar.png
    Freak
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    If I might give an idea?

Take two saucers, put them on the same deck, one in front, one at the back of the neck as you have it now. Then extend a piece in the middle from the edges of the saucers to connect them together. From the side it'd look like one giant disc/saucer. From above, well, easiest description would be it'd look like a perfectly straight sausage or hot dog. It'd get rid of the broken up look on/around the neck which is really confusing to look at at the moment. I understand what you're trying to do, so don't get me wrong, just that the perspective makes those bottom three mini-saucers start merging in weird ways that makes me subconsciously not want to look at it due to the geometries. As for the back end/engineering section and under the neck, keep it. You've got that perfectly setup.
    Out of the two option I go with the 1st.
    But I also like the one with the saucer on either side.

You said the main Saucer and Engines detach from the body and join together to make a ship.
    But would that not leave the orbiting platform with out a power sauce?
    I am also curious to see what your orbiting platform would look like.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    edited January 2020 #687
    furswift wrote: »
    The Excalibur was a ship created by a member of the modding community for Bridge Commander (I forget exactly which member). It was also to be the hero ship for the defunct Star Trek Excalibur fan made video game, but was replaced by DJ Curtis' Enterprise F. I'm not sure where you got the renders, but I haven't seen those before. It does appear to be modified (elongated and the aforementioned torpedo pod).

No, the original wasn´t built by a Bridge Commander member. The original was built by Steven Davis (aka Rivers3d and Steve Rivers), in the now dead Millenium cgi forums. Therefore, the original mesh is still available for download at https://www.trekmeshes.ch/. ;)
    Steven was a great artist. He also built the Magelan Class USS Nautilus, which is still available for download at https://www.trekmeshes.ch/ too.
    Unhappyness, Steven lost interest in 3d modelling years ago. His youtube channel is still up. One of his most ambitious projects was to model the entire solar system in scale with the ships, but he discovered it couldn´t be done in 3dsmax at that time. He also begun to model an updated Excalibur and Natilus ships, with full interiors, but he never ended these projects too. Until 3-4 years ago I still had contact with him, but since that time he vanished. A great miss to the 3d comunity.

About the version with the nebula Class pod, it was the original Excalibur severelly streched, modified and kitibashed by stfanboy. ;)

Post edited by Starship on
    Or two side by side on top.

gu65pfa5niar.png

Good work. I like this version!
    Thanks @Starship for the correction on the Excalibur and the download. I have to admit I would probably burn out and lose interest if I tried to model the whole solar system AND the interior of the Excalibur. They sound like very exhausting projects. Also, thanks for your vote. I rather liked that one too.

Here is yet another model based on the suggestion made by @Barricade . It includes extra work on windows and the forward tanks and deflector.

6l8w665mnvqr.png
    evil_genius_180
    edited January 2020 #690
    Thanks @Starship for the correction on the Excalibur and the download. I have to admit I would probably burn out and lose interest if I tried to model the whole solar system AND the interior of the Excalibur. They sound like very exhausting projects. Also, thanks for your vote. I rather liked that one too.

Here is yet another model based on the suggestion made by @Barricade . It includes extra work on windows and the forward tanks and deflector.

6l8w665mnvqr.png

You´re welcome!
    The new version looks better indeed.
    Therefore, i would make e few more chances:
    Move the naceles a bit forward, maybe between the domes, and make the pylons a tad more large. They looks fragile for a ship big like this. ;)
    Post edited by Starship on
    Appreciated @Starship

I might like the above with the split saucers instead. The two side bubbles on the neck are a mall/restaurant/Recreation.

cvaia2c1chmh.png
    evil_genius_180Freak