Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDeath Star Substance

japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
I was inspired by all the Substance spheres to go ahead and make the most deadly substance in the galaxy! I challenged myself to keep everything to only Substance Designer and a sphere. I ended up with a 8K map but could have gone up to 16k had Substance allowed. In the future maybe UDIMs would be the way to go, but it was fun to try to do everything in Substance Designer. I baked out the maps and rendered the first image with 3ds Max and Vray.

mike-hanson-deathstar-subsance-v10b.jpg?1528155099

Substance Sphere:
mike-hanson-death-star-substance.jpg?1528155065

Substance Maps Output:
mike-hanson-substance-layers-v01.jpg?1528155064

Substance Graph:
mike-hanson-deathstargraph.jpg?1528155063
112412.jpg
Rekkert

• GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Neat. :)

How close does it hold up?
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Well, that turned out great. Nice job. :thumb:
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    About this close probably...
    death-star-close.jpg
    Not as close as I would like, but that mostly boils down to Substance Designer only being able to export 8K maximum. it's one of the biggest requests for the software to export higher.Since it's mostly all vector stuff, you should just be able to scale it up. For the lights and dark structure panels I'm basically dealing with individual pixels at the end. If I were to do it again, I'd probably try UDIMS or make like an 8K map for each quarter of the death star, then put it all together in photoshop...Hmmm..I wonder if THAT is possible to do in Substance after the fact....
  • sevristh1138sevristh1138171 Posts: 1Member
    fantastic work! wow!
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Yes, fantastic!
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Outstanding work! I love it!
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    That does indeed look fantastic. :)

Something does look a little 'off' though - i was trying to put a finger on it. If you look at reference material, you'll note that the 'panels' of detail are more vertically stretched and more packed more densely than you currently have. For example -

64dtk989yay4.png

But man, that's impressive work.
    publiusr
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Definitely impressive. One would have to compare side by side but I could have sworn it was a movie shot.