Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNot a reboot

• XFozzbouteXFozzboute654 Posts: 1,627Member
    UPDATE...
    Got the saucer texture pretty much done. Happy with the final result so far.
    3074.jpg
    3075.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180scifiericsrspicerashleytingerFreak
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Man, that's looking fantastic. The design was sweet already, but it's just enhanced by your great texture work. I really like the saucer paneling and your spec settings. It really pops.
    scifieric
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Man, that's looking fantastic. The design was sweet already, but it's just enhanced by your great texture work. I really like the saucer paneling and your spec settings. It really pops.
    Man, Chris. You said it! Well done, XFozzboute!
    XFozzboute
    Thanks.

UPDATE...
    Phase 1 of textures are done. Now I have to get to work on the grime. My favorite part. Only problem is I think my eyes are getting worse. Makes doing kinnd of hard.
    3076.jpg
    evil_genius_180xiaorobearLizzy777Freak
    UPDATE...
    Getting more work done on one of the cargo pods. Turning out not to bad. I used a displacement map for the first time. I’ll try to get as much as I can but my eyes appear to be getting worse.
    3077.jpg
    3078.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    It looks good, bro. The displacement mapping works really well for this sort of thing.
    XFozzboute
    I've tried using it before but was never happy with the result. I guess I was just lucky this time.
    evil_genius_180
    XFozzboute wrote: »
    I've tried using it before but was never happy with the result. I guess I was just lucky this time.

I know what you mean. It took me a while to get displacement maps to a place where I like them, and it can still be hit or miss.
    XFozzboute
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Loving the damage on that cargo container.
    XFozzboute
    UPDATE...
    Well, looks like I’ll have to ditch the displacement map because it’s causing the seams to pop open. Oh well I’ll try bump maps.
    3079.jpg
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    UPDATE...
    Well, looks like I’ll have to ditch the displacement map because it’s causing the seams to pop open. Oh well I’ll try bump maps.
    3079.jpg
    That's weird. At least you have more than one way to get a similar look, though.
    XFozzboute
    I did a test and it doesn't really look any different so that's something.
    evil_genius_180
    edited December 2019 #675
    Yeah, looks wise, I've never found much difference between displacement and bump myself. Though, I think Displacement will actually shift your geometry in render, whereas a Bump won't do that. That's probably why it got FUBAR with the Displacement map.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    XFozzboutescifieric
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Bump is a "fake" effect so some lighting and shadow artifacts can show up. It is like a shader rounder or shader based lighting where it is baked onto the surface vs a real interactive existence in scene.

Displacement distorts and is actual geometry. You would have to isolate it by having it unwrapped and placing white or black or whatever is set to 256 or 0 in the spectrum as divider lines where seams or girds are they you want to retain their placement.

I avoid bump as much as possible as you can only get so sharp with it before it erodes visually. It seems like a factor of 4 vs diffuse textures. BUT it has improved least in max over the years. 2013's bump was much better than it was in 2010.

I kinda liked how the displacement was making those vanes all wobbly a few posts back.
    XFozzboute
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    UPDATE...
    Got textures for the saucer and bridge done. I also did the secondary and primary hull. All I have to do no are the warp engines and warp pylons and I’ll be done with one.
    3080.jpg
    scifiericevil_genius_180FreakLizzy777
    Beautiful work, my friend.

Please do whatever is necessary to preserve your vision. You are a terrific artist. I don't want to see you stop.

With Blender, if you increase the geometry of the object you are using, you get better displacement effects. I don't know if that translates across platforms. Good luck, and this is looking terrific!
    XFozzboute
    Looks good, dude. :)
    XFozzboute
    Thanks guys.
    Whatever is going on with my left eye is also going withe the right one. It's just not as bad. What happens is when I close one eye I get on odd oblong light gray shape in my vision.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    uh make an appointment to see a doctor. An ophthalmologist.

It could be a large floater but it could be something else.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Yeah, check with an Ophthalmologist. Vision isn't something to fool with.
    I had/have something that sounds similar called Posterior Vitreous Detachment.
    It's mostly just annoying, but needs to be looked at.
    UPDATE...
    Got everything but the warp engines done. But I might just take a rest until I get my eyes checked out.
    3081.jpg
    3082.jpg
    Lizzy777FreakZhor2395evil_genius_180
    Beautiful work, XFozzboute! Yes, please get your eyes checked. You are a superb artist and I wish to see you continue your work for a long time to come.
    XFozzboute
    I just don't want to be bumping into walls and falling down stairs. I've done that before it's only slightly fun.
    scifieric
    XFozzboute wrote: »
    I just don't want to be bumping into walls and falling down stairs. I've done that before it's only slightly fun.
    I admire your absolutely fantastic attitude! LOL!

Good man.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Stunning as always X.
    UPDATE...
    I’m just about done with this. I just need to do some textures for the other warp engine and it’s off to do some orthos.
    3083.jpg
    evil_genius_180Freak
    Fantastic work, but how are your eyes?
    Thanks. My eyes feel like they are getting a little better. I believe this is what was bugging me. https://www.asrs.org/patients/retinal-diseases/9/posterior-vitreous-detachment
    Oh wow! I hope you are okay!