Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DScifieric's 2019 USS Enterprise

• scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I'm not very motivated today. But, I did resize and reposition the two groups of three lights and the lower running lights on the underside of the saucer. I figure this is a little more accurate than before.
    b9fj3bxvb0e8.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777Brandenberg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    She looks great, bro. :)
    She looks great, bro. :)
    Thank you, my friend!
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9714 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited November 2019 #65
    Have to have a laugh, I was watching this toy docu and they showed the pilot connie going by and never had up to then noticed those non centerline marker lights! Of all the bloody years of seeing that ship cruise by. Makes me douh! on my connie shot for SOTL as I left those areas alone.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    scifieric
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Have to have a laugh, I was watching this toy docu and they showed the pilot connie going by and never had up to then noticed those non centerline marker lights! Of all the bloody years of seeing that ship cruise by. Makes me douh! on my connie shot for SOTL as I left those areas alone.
    I get it. I've been studying the models of the Enterprise (literally) for decades. So have others. A famous example is Gary Kerr. Gary Kerr has actually had access to the 11 foot model of the Enterprise a few times and actually had a hand in the most recent restoration at the Smithsonian.

I think it was earlier this year, Gary Kerr was surprised to find evidence of a ring that supports the upper saucer planetary sensor (bright light on top of the bridge) but I've had one on my model for decades. I was sure I saw evidence of the thing in photographs, so I put it there with my TrueSpace model.

I'm still learning about different details.

The first pilot model had no lights. The "lit" rooms were just drawn as rectangles. All the other windows were just painted black rectangles. The 11 foot model and the 3 foot model had differences, including the outline of the lower saucer and the back of the warp engines. The back of the warp engines on the 11 foot model were plain. The 3 foot model was detailed with an odd rectangular detail. All the shots from the first pilot (except one) were of the 3 foot model. Only the swing up from below the model and into the bridge was the 11 foot model.

So, don't worry. I don't think any of us know all the details yet, but it isn't for lack of trying!
    Thought I was going to start on the windows today. But changed the "triangles" and made the triangle bases. Changed the pilot warp domes.

72Pilot002.png
    72Pilot003.png
    72PilotCompareA.png
    72PilotCompareB.png
    evil_genius_180MadKoiFishLizzy777ashleytingerFreakP5ych0p4thBrandenberg
    Okay. New Engineering section "arms". Someone pointed out a couple of things on my wire frames over on the Trek BBS. So, I've added a 12 degree curve to the back of the "scooped" out section of the arms.

This also gives a closer-to-the-original curved end to the "scooped" out section of the arms. It's a lot rounder this way and less triangular.

I'm fairly satisfied that a 12 degree curve is close to the original.

Forgive the lack of fantail yet, I have to cut that out later.

73NewEngineeringArmsA.png
    73NewEngineeringArmsB.png
    73NewEngineeringArmsC.png
    73NewEngineeringArmsD.png
    evil_genius_180MadKoiFishLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    It looks great.

That person at TrekBBS wouldn't like me. My answer would have been "it's close enough." ;)
    scifieric
    It looks great.

That person at TrekBBS wouldn't like me. My answer would have been "it's close enough." ;)
    Thanks, Chris! That was my initial idea, but it turned out really well (I think).
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9714 Posts: 5,302Member
    Yeah I hate that area of the ship. The raised sides and inversion of what is raised etc just make for a migraine area to model and decide what is rounded to what and where.
    scifieric
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Yeah I hate that area of the ship. The raised sides and inversion of what is raised etc just make for a migraine area to model and decide what is rounded to what and where.
    Based on a picture by a fan of the model at the Smithsonian, I took a guess and made it a 12.5 degree curve at the back. I think it worked nicely.

And I hear you, I actually was kind of dreading doing this section again. Yikes!
    Now with fantail!
    lsiekahaqs6c.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777srspicerFreak
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2001 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    She's looking amazing. I love the color you went with here too
    scifieric
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    When I did the original Enterprise, I was very surprised by all the design elements in it I had not noticed when just watching it briefly fly by on screen.
    Great job Sci Fi Eric.
    scifieric
    She's looking amazing. I love the color you went with here too
    Thank you! It's just a temporary blue/green, but I was having some issues trying to show the "arms" on the Engineering section with just plain white. Too much reflectivity. Plus, this looks a little closer to the final color, like what they have now in the Smithsonian.
    When I did the original Enterprise, I was very surprised by all the design elements in it I had not noticed when just watching it briefly fly by on screen.
    Great job Sci Fi Eric.
    Yep, it's a great design. At least, I think so. All kudos to Matt Jefferies!
    It feels like I have less and less time to do the things that I want. And when I do get some time, I feel too tired to do anything. In any case ...

Starting on the first pilot textures. And for a change of pace, I figured I'd start on the bridge area. There is only one true texture on this so far, that's the blue/green with dirt hull. Everything else, including signage, is all modeled ... at least thus far.

1stPilotBridgeTexture02.png
    Lizzy777ashleytingersrspicerP5ych0p4thevil_genius_180Zhor2395Freak
    I was feeling kind of down today. Slept a large part of the day away. I am still recovering from a cold, so that's probably the reason. That, and I've been thinking about my departed pets. So, I did something that always brings me some happiness. This shot from near the end of the original Star Trek series episode "Metamorphosis" is one of my favorites. I keep trying to make my Blender 3D model look more like the original.

I found that my animation for my warp lights is gone in this scene, so they are all lit.

I've got to finish my latest project. I want to get my model looking more like the original.

Thanks for looking in.

Metamorph002ShipAndStars.png
    MadKoiFishashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakP5ych0p4thWarp Propulsion Laboratory
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2001 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    edited December 2019 #79
    Ow wow. She looks fantastic.

I've been thinking alot about our lost pets too. I know that feel. :(
    Post edited by ashleytinger on
    scifieric
    Ow wow. She looks fantastic.

I've been thinking alot about our lost pets too. I know that feel. :(
    Thank you! That's very kind of you.

And yeah, the older I get, the more I think that life is all about enjoying the transient things. The love of a pet. The love of a person. Things that can't possibly last. They are WONDERFUL while they are here.
    Got motivated to do a little work on my new model. Getting there. Need to change the "upper" row of windows on the lower saucer.
    75SaucerWindowsDetail.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    Even replicating the "lit" windows like on the original. They were drawn on.
    75SaucerWindowsDetail2.png
    evil_genius_180srspicerashleytingerLizzy777Freak
    I find having just the outline of the windows oddly satisfying.
    scifieric
    edited December 2019 #84
    Yeah, me too! LOL!

Of course, my goal is to look as much like the original model as I can, so it kind of fits right in!

As far as I can tell, only the front three circular windows were actually cut in. All the rest (and I do mean ALL the rest) were just painted on. And those front three were the same size for the original pilot. Afterwards, the center one was enlarged just a tiny bit. I think that was done for the second pilot when they had a flashing light in it.
    Post edited by scifieric on
    evil_genius_180
    scifieric wrote: »
    Yeah, me too! LOL!

Of course, my goal is to look as much like the original model as I can, so it kind of fits right in!

As far as I can tell, only the front three circular windows were actually cut in. All the rest (and I do mean ALL the rest) were just painted on. And those front three were the same size for the original pilot. Afterwards, the center one was enlarged just a tiny bit. I think that was done for the second pilot when they had a flashing light in it.
    I forgot about the three ports on the underside of the lip of the saucer section on both the left and right rear. They were cut in as well. I'll duplicate that here in a bit.

That's where the first flashing saucer lights were located (if I remember correctly) on the underside of the saucer for Where No Man Has Gone Before.
    Here are some small bits of progress. It's not much, but at least it's not nothing. (Grammarians would go NUTS with that last sentence!)
    A-Compare-ShipAndStars-001.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777FreakRekkertevil_genius_180
    A few more just for fun.
    35tyr45u5lry.png
    g6t175ztx872.png
    b5efpyii0p91.png

ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777FreakRekkertevil_genius_180
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Nice renders! I really like that film grain that you add. :)
    scifieric
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    furswift wrote: »
    Nice renders! I really like that film grain that you add. :)
    Thank you. This particular "grain" is added in Photoshop. It's a certain amount of random noise, combined with a Gaussian blur, and a bit of desaturation. I think it makes it look a little more like a "real" object, such as a model. At least, it does for me as I grew up with everything on film, including (of course) the original series.
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    Looking amazing! :D
    scifieric
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Looks like a real object indeed, amazing work Eric!
    scifieric
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio