Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [spoilers]

GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
edited December 2019 in General Discussion #1
56i9xaem273s.gif

So, end of the new trilogy. The reviews have not been particularly kind so far...

I'm seeing it tomorrow myself, and will report back.

Post edited by Guerrilla on
But before we get started...
  1. The Last Jedi...6 votes
    1. ... sucked!
      33.33%
    2. ... was ok.
      50.00%
    3. ... was great!
      16.67%
Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
Join our fancy Discord Server!
Tagged:

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Yeah I am going to wait until this come to streaming to see it.
    Not a fan of this Disney Trilogy.
    I also don't like anything that film JJ has done. He just rips ideas from other people or cram it full of mystery boxes that don't get answered.
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    edited December 2019 #3
    Wasn't too bad actually, waaaaaaayyyyy better than the other two. It jumped around a little a first though, but it had more depth to it plus some nice guest stars, cameos, and voice cameos. The victory party at the end wasn't too hammy, had some Ewoks standing around getting high, Lando was drinking a Colt 45, and no Gungan thank god.

I liked it.

Post edited by Hundred on
    edited December 2019 #4
    One serious point I want to make, Whatever they did to add Leia to the movie really worked well. The character looked really good.
    Given this community is a lover of all thing Sci-fi and fantasy and the film has now been out a week.
    I expect more responses to this tread.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. But, I like all of the Star Wars movies.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Red Letter Media did not particularly enjoy it:

Kevin Smith did, though:
    So, that certainly was a movie with a script and everything. :p

I'm not disappointed as such, but The Rise of Skywalker was not a very good film. It kinda seemed like they took all the writers' most fanservicy notes they had gathered somewhere and then just went and filmed them without bothering to do a second draft. The fanservice was laid on pretty thick, and everything looked nice enough, so it had its moments... weirdly bad cinematography though; blocking and scene geometry were all over the place, and the editing was very restless throughout the whole thing. The final battle was a confusing mess. Each new plot twists was sillier (not in a good way) than the last, and generally, the whole thing was moving ridiculously quicky, possibly in an effort to keep people from going "Hey! Wait a minute..."

Didn't seem to work, though. :#

I did like a couple of things. I liked Ben's arc in the end, even if it was predictable, and even though they did take two steps back since TLJ. Rey and Kylo basically regressed back to sword fighting through most of their scenes. I actually quite liked the main cast in general, and it was nice to see them going on their adventure together for the first time. I also liked the new characters, even if they were pretty much just disposable plot devices. Some fun cameos. I'm mostly ok with how they handled Leia and her role in the bigger story. I liked Hux's little personal rebellion. It had two Porgs and two Ewoks in it, so that was cool. C3POs big moment was not nearly as big as the trailers implied, but I guess it was about time he had one.

So yeah, basically a massive checklist of Star Wars fanservice (not all of it very good) expertly crafted, with very little filmmaking in the way. I understand how and why we ended up here, but I would have been happier if they maybe had a little bit more faith in their artistic vision, rather than violently backtracking from TLJ and trying to please everyone at the same time, because that's the move that seemed to make the most business sense. That will probably never realistically be the case with Star Wars, but I hear the Mandalorian is pretty good, so maybe that's a step in the right direction.

Oh, and maybe figure out the big story beats of the trilogy ahead of time... :eyeroll:

... or just tell smaller stories that make the galaxy seem bigger.
    rojren
    Yeah, this movie has a lot of "damage" control in it, to try and fix or at least explain a lot of the issues people had with The Last Jedi. That may have impeded things a bit, but at least JJ managed to get it in there and it mostly worked into the overall story. With as much as they were trying to do with that and finishing the story, this could have been a two part movie. But, I see why they didn't want to do that. Disney and Lucasfilm want to be done with this storyline, at least on the big screen, so that they can move on to other stuff with Star Wars.

I hope what they do moving forward distances itself from this story. With Star Wars, the galaxy as we know it has existed for tens of thousands of years and there's a lot to explore there. They can go back hundreds or thousands of years, or jump ahead in time for future stuff. If they get away from what's established and stop using established characters, there should be less complaining, or at least one would hope.

Oh, and The Mandalorian is excellent, probably the best thing Star Wars that Disney has produced.
    edited December 2019 #10
    Well at least they tried to clean up that whole midichlorians debacle, the way Finn and a number of the other newer characters can seemingly tap into the force from time to time, knowingly or unknowingly.
  • gusdorfgusdorf175 Posts: 51Member
    I thought I would be disappointed with Rise of Skywalker based upon how The Force Awakens and Last Jedi were. But I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It still was a bit off in a few spots story wise but it will be difficult to write a story that appeases such a large fan base.
    edited December 2019 #12
    Well, like the Guerrilla said, they were trying to appease everybody in the fan pool, but i do think they should've started here (with this move), and worked their way back to the first trilogy (1970's). Now don't get me wrong, I like all the Star Wars movies, but the last few movies they tried to put too much irrelevant content into them, especially all the individual story arcs, it's all too ensemble.

LONG LIVE JAR JAR. =)
    edited December 2019 #13
    The original Star Wars was a very self contained movie. While George Lucas did hope to do a sequel, low budget if necessary, he intended the film to have a beginning and an end. There was no real setup for a sequel in the end, other than Darth Vader escaping in his TIE Advanced. But, the good guys won and the bad guys were destroyed. Not focusing on setting up for a sequel is what allowed them to tell a much better character driven story. Then, when they did The Empire Strikes back, they were able to not only continue the story of the characters, but also to move outward and into a more "epic" scope than the relatively small scale first film. They also were able to intentionally start a lot of smaller plots in motion that worked into the longer story and set it up for the sequel. Since they were building from the strong foundation of the first film, that worked nicely. That's the recipe that worked, and that's what has been missing in a lot of Sci-Fi in the modern age. A lot of modern Sci-Fi is missing the point of telling those great character stories first, then moving into the larger plot. While I love the Star Wars sequel trilogy, we're definitely missing that slow buildup we got with the original film and even the prequel trilogy. People may have complained that The Phantom Menace was kind of dull, (I love it) but the slow buildup really worked to establish the characters and universe in which they lived before moving on to the Clone Wars and rise of the Empire. One of the few modern franchises to actually work that recipe well is the MCU. They started off with a few really nicely crafted small scale character pics, but they did lay down a few threads for the bigger plot. Then, when The Avengers happened, we were ready for it and wanting it. The DCEU is an example of a modern franchise that rushed things and it didn't work so well.

But, no you can't please everyone all the time. If you asked five people what they thought a Star Wars sequel trilogy should be like, you'd get five different answers.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Guerrilla
    While I am still to see this film.
    Chris is right about Character development. Even the prequels did this well.
    The Disney Trilogy has not done this. They did not do plan out the trilogy at all and the character where not really developed in The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi. Then you throw in JJ love of Mystery boxes which work for a TV show, as long as you get pay off which JJ does not do, they don't work for films. Even JJ has admitted that he can't end a story properly.
    Disney played the TFA safe and the only reason that it did so well was because it was the first Star Wars film in 10 years and fans where hoping to see Han, Luke and Leia back together. (Something we never got.)
    TLJ they tired something different, personally I feel it did not work and with Johnson he tired up all the threads JJ left hanging. So they had no where to go. Again this is because they did not plan the trilogy out.

The Difference with the Disney Trilogy and the MCU, is that Disney had nothing to do with it popularity.
    Iron Man was a gamble and Marvel won big for it. They then started to set up the universe with the other origin stories for Cap and Thor. Even though The Incredible Hulk is part of the MCU, it was being made at the same time as Iron Man and only throw Tony Stark in as a cameo so if Marvel gamble worked they would have more world building. Like I said it work and we got The Avengers as the pay off.
    Disney had nothing to do with this and only bought Marvel during The Avengers production (a reason why it has the Paramount Logo on the film and not Disney).
    Even if Avengers had failed which was unlikely Marvel was already planning Phase II.
    Once Phase I was completed and with Disney now owning Marvel, they left Marvel to carry on with what they where doing and only request a few changes so that it would keep with the family friendly image of Disney.
    This did not hurt what Marvel was doing.

That the biggest difference between the MCU and Disney Star Wars. Marvel planned out it Phase and make changes along the way. Disney Star Wars, does not.