Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Trek News and Rumours

• P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Can‘t say I was looking forward to Tatantino Trek anyways 😅

I would have liked another Simon Pegg writren one as I really enjoyed Beyond. But Star Trek for me has allways been about TV, so that‘s not a loss either.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I enjoyed Beyond it the best of the JJ films.
    I would love to read his script that was turned down because it was too Star Trek.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Freak wrote: »
    I enjoyed Beyond it the best of the JJ films.
    I would love to read his script that was turned down because it was too Star Trek.

Yeah, it's the best one, in my opinion. And, it's the one he didn't direct.
    Less than a month until Picard hits CBSAA in the States and Amazon for the rest of us.
    You would think that they would start marketing for it, but I seen nothing yet except for the Trailers and that was only because it was in my YouTube suggestions.

You would think we the money that have spent on this, they would have started to get the word out to the casual viewers.
    I find their lack of advertising disturbing. One of the main issues faced by Discovery is that many people weren't watching due to not even knowing it existed.
    Rumour have started to leak out that Noah Hawley’s Star Trek Film and 4th in the Kelvin Timeline is dead in space and no longer happening.
    Reason being Investors have pulled out of the project.

Simon Pegg also stated recently that he did not know that Hawley was working on the 14th Star Trek film.
    But did know that he was writing a script for a Star Trek project that had nothing to do with the cast from the Kelvin films.

If this rumour turn out to be true it will not come as a surprise. Bad Robot contact with Paramount came to an end halfway though last year. Bad Robot still have the option to make Trek films but they need to find the investment before Paramount will green light it.
    If Paramount was to do this it would reactivate the deal Bad Robot had with them for Trek.

The announcement of Noah Hawley’s was mostly coming out of Bad Robot. This was highly likely a last ditch effort by Bad Robot to keep their claws into Trek.

This is something that is no longer in Paramount interest, given that Paramount parent company has re-merged with it way would child CBS. This means that the split licencing for Star Trek is no longer in effect and all under one roof once again.
    The Bad Robot Deal is no longer beneficial to Paramount or CBS.
    I think they should just cool it on the movies for a while. They should concentrate on creating a new TV show that resonates better with fans and has good characters and stories. Then do some movies based on that. That's why people love the Star Trek movies from the '80s and '90s so much, they used characters and actors who we'd been watching for years at that point. While the characters in the Abramsverse movies may have had the same names, they weren't at all like the ones we knew from the past. They were new interpretations of those characters that we weren't used to and the first two films had little to no character building. With the TV show beforehand, they wouldn't have had to do the character building in the movies. Also, I'd like to see them stop retreading old characters and create some completely new ones. But, that's all just my opinion, of course.
    Freak
    It has been announced that Kurtzman is working on Clarice Starling (The Silence of the Lambs) TV show along with other producers from current Star Trek.
    He will be also working on Michael Chabon new TV show for Showtime.

I don't know about you, but where does he find the time to do all of this as well as work on Trek?
    You never saw Berman working on anything other than Trek when he was running the show. Why because it took up all of his time.

So this has lead me to believe that the rumours that came out last year that he has been fired is partly true.
    I think he has had all creative power removed and is now only brought out to do interviews and make announcements.
    Also with the remerge of Viacom and CBS, things are being change in both former companies due to this.
    It is well know that Sheri Redstone hates everything that has happened to Trek since JJ and Kurtzman has taken over. As she is the majority share holder in the company, She is making changes with how Trek is run. AKA pulling Kurtzman and co completely off it.

We won't see the effects of these changes for a while though.
    As for what we are getting now, this is the left over from Kurtzman still had creative control.
    The Short Trek where already in production, along with Lower Decks (Which they could still correct as there is still no air date) and Discovery Season 3. They tried to make Picard less Kurtzman and we won't know the effect it worked until next week. But rumour has it that it did not work and it was a major reason why Chabon was not asked back for Season 2. If they thought he did a good Job, CBS would never have offered him his own Show, based on his book.
    In another words he was a decent showrunner but not good enough to stay on Picard.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited January 2020 #130
    Do not forget tng ds9 and voy were real seasons of 52 eps or so not this lazy do well 12 or less crap of these days. 5 weeks of shooting vs 5months.

As for Picard if that children of mars thing is an example I do not hold out for Picard at all. That short trek was placed in the Picard timeline and everything they showed looked everyday or not much further on than STD is I cannot even explain the drydock scene loaded with STD era ships etc.
    If thew writing on that is an example I will pass.

Pretty much gonna wash my hands of it like I have with dr who. not saying I wont try it but I wont tourture myself in the false hope it will improve.

Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Given the two shorts that Chabon wrote I don't have a lot of hope of it either.

But I just heard an interesting Rumour so as always take with a grain of salt.

When Kurtzman was removed as Showrunner on Picard and Chabon was put in place, halfway though shooting of Season 1 (and around the time it was rumoured that Kurtzman had been fired.) CBS tasked Chabon with making Picard less like Kurtzman trek, and bring it in line closer to TNG era trek.

As all current Star Trek is made under a licence that is part of the JJ Films, everything has to be 25% different. In order to use anything that not part of this licence. The Picard production would have to buy a Licence to us it. Remember Current Star Trek is not made in house of CBS, but thought the production company of Secret hideout owned by Kurtzman.

Chabon set to work and started to buy a load of licence's and improved the look of the show to bring it in line with post TNG era.
    This put the show well over budget. Kurtzman already pissed that he had been pulled from Picard was not happy with what was happening.
    Once Chabon had finished filming, Kurtzman fired him though his production company then started to change the look back to what he wanted so that he would not have the pay for the extra TNG Era licence.
    What this basically means is that Kurtzman was pulled of Picard, because what he was doing was not what CBS wanted and they put Chabon in place to fix it. Then Kurtzman pulled Chabon off it though his production company and changed everything back to the way he wanted it.

Kurtzman is no longer listening to anyone and doing his own thing. This has pissed of everyone around him including ViacomCBS board. The leftover from Moonves days that had been protecting Kurtzman have all been fired and he longer has any bridge with ViacomCBS. Sheri Redstone is looking at Kurtzman contact so she can get ride of him, if not she going to wait him out.

ViacomCBS did not announce season 2 of Picard that came out of the Secret Hideout camp. But ViacomCBS will be watching how Picard does, when it realised. If it does well then it will get a second season, but if not it gone. Season 3 of Discovery is rumoured to be it last. All live action shows will be stopped and if Redstone can't get rid of Kurtzman she just going sit there and wait for Kurtzman five year deal to be over and not renew it. (I think that only has two years left on it.)

As for how Picard does, ViacomCBS will not be just looking at the audience numbers but also fan reaction.
    They know it will have big numbers to start of, as Sir Stewart is back and this will bring people in.
    But if there is a major fan Backlash they are not going to be happy and they are expecting this to be the case.
    Well apparently Picard is now available to watch on CBSAA as it dropped at Midnight EST in the States.
    I am hoping that Amazon does the same thing here in the UK, but with Discovery it was dropped at 07:00 GMT so it will most likely be the same.

I don't understand why the rest of the word has to wait another day to get it. If Amazon should just drop it at the same time as the States, save's on spoilers. (yes I know you don't have to look at them.)
    Jesus it 2020 and the world is now fully connected though the internet we can hear about events happening around the world in real time.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    studios and distribution will always embrace region locks and region release over global as they can make more $$ selling licenses and other bullcrap. Wont ever change as long as they can make $$$ of it.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Okay I update the thread name, so no one can complain.
    But it up to you guys if you want to continue using the spoiler Tags.

@MadKoiFish, that the problems with these writers. They only write about the surface and don't look at the deeper levels.
    Most of the writing is like something you would find on a soap opera or a CW show.
    Trek Fans will look for deeper levels and meaning of everything shown on screen. That is something these people don't think about.
    But what do you expect from writers that worked on CW like shows. Most of the writers on Discovery and Picard have not written for a sci-fi show or have any background in it.

For current Trek I heard this a lot and think it sum it up spot on. "Current Star Trek is written by people that hate Star Trek and made for people that don't like Star Trek."

I have also heard a new rumour in regards to Trek as a whole. I am looking for another source to confirm or a different source that has been pretty spot on with Rumours to also state it before I post it here.

As for future Trek Movies, I have heard form multiple places that they are currently dead in the water and nothing is going to happen on that front for a few years. Apparently even though the Bad Robot deal with Paramount has ended, they still get first chose on making a Trek film. However that part of the deal has six to eight months left on it. So everything that they are putting forward to Paramount for a new Trek film even if it has financing backing is being turned down. It not even Paramount that is turned it down, but Sheri Redstone herself.
    Once Bad Robot no longer has first option and no longer have anything to do with Trek. We could see the next Trek movie being made with it possible being done in house like it use to be.
    This is all rumour, but given what we are seeing the signs point to it being partly true.
    I saw a news article this morning saying that all Trek under Kurtzman was being rebranded as The Relaunch Timeline.
    I can't find the article again to post it here. However if this is true, I guess that Discovery and Picard and Lower Decks are not part of the Canon Timeline.
    I saw a news article this morning saying that all Trek under Kurtzman was being rebranded as The Relaunch Timeline.

I liked it as „Kelvin Timeline“, „Prime Timeline“ and „Canon Timeline“

But to be honest: I don‘t really care about that. The JJ Reboot was okay, Into Darkness also also worked for me up to that Kahn reveal and Beyond was actually pretty good. Then again I‘ve always expected more from TV-Trek than from Film-Trek.

In The End, I just want good Star Trek. Or generaly scripts, that are written by people that can write sci fi and not use contemporary Language all the time of make the technology basically magic.

Hell ... Discovery looks great, the cast is good, even the characters work for the most part. Yeah, ist was stupid to make this a prequal since there‘s absolutely no story reason behind ist (arguably the stories would have worked better without the TOS Connection and in the 25th or 26th Century) ... but other than that there‘s no reason, that show shouldn‘t work.

I also refuse, to lay all the blame on Kurzman. He does seem to know stuff, when you listen to interviews. And I‘m old enough to remember the hate for Berman and Braga. Ist was wrong then and I do believe, it still is. But I don‘t know, what to change.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I can't find the article again to post it here. However if this is true, I guess that Discovery and Picard and Lower Decks are not part of the Canon Timeline.

Hmm, well, if that is true are they planning on going back to the prior continuity then and start new shows on the canon tmieline?

• GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    edited February 2020 #138
    I split the Picard discussion into a topic of its own. You can find it here. :)

Let's use this one for discussing the franchise in general.
    Post edited by Guerrilla on
    evil_genius_180
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    @Guerrilla Thanks for that :)

@TrekMD I don't think they will until Secret Hideout (Kurtzman company behind all Current Trek) no longer has anything to do with it.
    If the 25% different deal is true, then that will stay in place as long as Secret Hideout is working on Trek.

With the Merger pretty much now done. There is nothing to say that they can't go back and do something in Canon Timeline. It would just mean that Secret Hideout or Bad Robot can't have anything to do with it. But then again, it could all depend on what deal Les Moonves made with Kurtzman when he put Kurtzman in charge of running Trek. (Kurtzman five year deal now only has two year left of it.)

If CBS was to do something in Canon Timeline then it would get confusing for the "Normie" or causal viewer. So it most likely not going to happen.

Even though at the recent ViacomCBS shareholder meeting it was stated that they have a lot of plans for Star Trek, with more TV shows and films in the pipeline. Don't expect anything soon. They are watching how Picard is doing. If it bring in the Money and viewers then they will move forward. If not then everything will stop. The announcement was made to get more investment.
    It is well Known Sheri Redstone (Who owns the Majority of shares in ViacomCBS), hates what JJ and Kurtzman has done to Star Trek.
    They have taken it from a profitable franchise to a franchise that is barley making any money from 3rd party vendors which is where most of the money was coming from (Merchandise).
    As I have stated before rumour has it that Sheir is just going to site back and wait for Kurtzman contact come to an end and then move forward.
    Everything Kurtzman has put forward since the merger has been turned down by her.

This also included the Section 31 series, as that still has not been greenlighted and it rumoured that Michelle Yeoh people are now demanding to get on with it, or she walks as she is in very high demand and can't keep putting off project while waiting for this.
    TrekMD
    As you may or may not know, it looking like Writers Guild of America is about to go on strike. Date pencilled in for this to start is the 1st of May.
    This will mean that any scripted TV show will not be able to get any new scripts while the strike is on. But this only effects the major studios.
    As Netflix and Amazon don't have the same deal that the major studio's have with the WGA their writers that are members of the WGA can carry on working.

What does this mean for Trek?
    Even though new Trek is on a streaming service it is still being made by a major studio that are part of the WGA deal. So if they go on strike, no WGA member can work for the studio as a writer while the strike is on.

Lower Decks should be fine as they are well into production, so the scripts for that should be done.

The Second Season of Picard is a different story. They have not yet gone into production and need to soon if they want to get it out in time for the same time slot that Picard currently has. As production has not started yet, they are cutting it close to get scripts done in time before the strike hits.
    If they have unused scripts they can use them, but they would have to be modified by someone that is not a member of the WGA, which nearly all writers in Hollywood are. Funny enough Kurtzman was not a member during the last major strike, so he was able to work during that. Which is how he managed to get himself into the position he is in now. Weather he is a member now or not I don't know.

As for Discovery, they just wrapped up filming of Season 3 and if there is a Season 4, that will go into production later in the year. But could still be affected if the Strike is still on going.
    But I am hearing that Season 3 will be the last season of Discovery. The Rumour coming out of Pinewood Studios in Toronto is that sets are being pulled down. The rumour does not say what sets, so it could be just temporary set that was built just for the season or it could be permeant sets like the Discovery Bridge. If it the later then the show is done, as they don't pull permeant sets down if they are planning to come back for another season. It cost to much to pull them down and then stick them back up each year. It actually far cheaper to keep renting the studio space even if your not using it.

As for Section 31 and the other planned shows/ Movies that are not already in production, nothing for these can be done while the strike is on going. So it unlikely we will see any of this for at minimum 2 years by which time Kurtzman five year deal will be at an end.
    A happy Birthday to Dr. Crusher, Gates McFadden is 71 today. She's always been a favorite of mine. And, she shares a birthday with Discovery's Spock. Ethan Peck is 34 today. :)
    Happy birthday to Gates McFadden
    This little number always get my motor running. ;)

3f72184e1477d7b003bd980a5163a565.jpg
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator

Relaunch timeline is for the books. Nothing to do with shows.

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Relaunch_novels_timeline
    Books/ Comics have never been classed as canon.
    Unless something in a book get mention in a show or movie, which is rare for Star Trek.
    Even if the post series books where classed as canon, the current writers of Trek would just ignore them anyway.
    I know some of you are not fan of the Nerdrotic Channel.
    But he has posted a new video on the Lawsuit against CBS and Netflix.
    It also shows Plagiarism or Homage with Star Trek Discovery and Picard. Of course this his option on that subject.
    But you can decided weather it is Plagiarism or Homage.

I cannot stand that guy ... I do not use that word lightly but he really is a sexist. I mean, I get, that he makes hs money basically shitting on everything but it has reached a point, where I simply can't take him seriously. An those constant information by insiders, that alsmost always is wrong. I mean, there are plenty of reasons not to like discovery for example. I will not be watching season 3. But that show is incredibly successfull. A guy in his basement shitting on it because it has to many women in it, won't change that.
    evil_genius_180
    edited March 2020 #147
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    I cannot stand that guy ... I do not use that word lightly but he really is a sexist. I mean, I get, that he makes hs money basically shitting on everything but it has reached a point, where I simply can't take him seriously. An those constant information by insiders, that alsmost always is wrong. I mean, there are plenty of reasons not to like discovery for example. I will not be watching season 3. But that show is incredibly successfull. A guy in his basement shitting on it because it has to many women in it, won't change that.

I didn't watch the video and, after reading what you have to say, definitely won't. Every Star Trek show prior to this has had 2-3 women in its main cast, with 5-7 men. Changing that ratio is no reason to hate on a show. It's called progress. Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of those type of attitudes with stuff like the newer Star Wars movies having a prominent female character, (like the other movies didn't have at least one) and stuff like Captain Marvel from Marvel Studios. (Carol Danvers has actually been around since the 1960s, and she first got her powers in the 1970s, so it's not like she's brand new or anything) I'm a man and I've got absolutely no problem with these type of changes. People with these caveman attitudes really need to stay in their basements and off of the Internet.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    I didn't watch the video and, after reading what you have to say, definitely won't.

And that despite my terrible terrible spelling and grammar in that one 😅 ... well I do believe, everyone should make up his or her own mind. I used to watch his Discovery Reviews during the first season. But over time all he did was complain about „social justice warriors“, „diversity“ and tried to hammer home cringey nicknames like „M-she-U“ or „Fandom Meanace“. And after some time you notice, that there‘s barely one positive video on that chanel. It just got on my nerves. Channels like midnights edge for example at least try to be somewhat objective. The say their rumours might be wrong and their criticism dosn‘t seem like a thinly veiled excuse to shit on to many women and minorities in their Star Trek or Comic Book Movies.

That being said. Obviously not everyone shares my thoughts on this and it‘s always best to make up ones own mind. That tardigrate lawsuit does seem to have merit for example. It just saddens me somewhat that the poor guy has to be t/e poster child for a „movement“ like that, that seems to be pretty much only using him for their agenda ...

🤷🏻‍♂️
    evil_genius_180
    Well, I just don't like it when people do nothing but complain, especially when it's complaining about nothing that's of any consequence. Really, if you have a decent story, characters, dialog and acting, then it shouldn't matter who is playing a role. Gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any of the other non important factors shouldn't matter. What should matter is compelling characters in a good story. That's my opinion, of course.

While I enjoyed Discovery's first two seasons and what I've seen of Picard so far, the writing can be suspect for sure. Some of the characters can even be unlikable. (I find Tilly on Discovery somewhat annoying, for example) That's the type of stuff that should matter, in my opinion.
    edited March 2020 #150
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »

I would not say he is sexist, he has never said anything bad about an actress. The Characters they play on the other hand is a different matter.
    They are poorly written and it shows, and really poorly written in STD. He has a point, with that and ST Picard. All the Woman are in power. Where are the men in authority that are not Bad Guys? With the exception of Pike, and even he get talked down to even by women under his command. (Okay that mainly by Michael.)
    Just look at Picard, so far the people in power we have seen have been women, with the exception of Hugh.
    Even Narek look to be under the command of his own Incise sister. Even in the last episode where Rafi called in a favour, it was not to a male, but some female captain.

I agree with people in power, why are all of them Woman? Where are the Men? Just have it balanced and equal as it should be, especially when it come to Trek.

He has also parsed a fair few actress as well Gal Gadot for Wonder Woman. Dominique Tipper, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Frankie Adams and Cara Gee are just some of the actress from the Expanse. Anya Chalotra from The Witcher.

The difference between these actress and those that appear in STD, STP, Disney's Star Wars Trilogy and the current Doctor from Doctor Who. Is that they are well written Characters, that act and behave like they should. These are not weak female characters but strong, intelligent and embraces their feminity.

@P5ych0p4th, I will admit that his videos do come across a bit negative. But Gary has admitted it himself, that bring in more views to his channel that the positive videos.
    His "Nooner" & "Friday Night Tight" are not as negative like his video are. As for the sexist part, if he really was. He would not have a fair few female fans (okay it the internet so it could be some dude using a female name.), but he does have female co-hosts on Friday Night Tight and if he was sexist they would not come on.

He just a fan and talks about the same thing we do here, the only difference is that he does it from a YouTube channel.

Look I am not trying to change you mind on him, just say he not what you think he is.

As for the video, if you don't like him that fine, turn off the sound and watch the visual.
    Trek has paid homage in the past but never to this sort of level where it slapping you in the face.
    Post edited by Freak on
    I though this was actually a good interview with Manu Intiraymi.
    The Actor who originally played Icheb on Voyager.