Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

What are you working on?

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited September 2019 #32
    Yeah I might just keep the card, thought was to eliminate the other 460 with it. Though looking at it my old gtx770 is only 2gig and is a tad weaker than the 570. Would have preferred a larger jump but maybe it could improve some viewport performance?? lol

Either case it might just be best to get a 1660 (overkill) for the media pc and just use the 570 in something using win7 as I found loading videos laggy and UI windows were full of tearing when moved or resized. Only issue is newer cards and the whole BIOS vs UEFI on the mobo. My crusty rampage III Formula might be too crappy and old for the 570. Cannot find any info on it I know many boards will work if they have a update but asus has been a male-apendage-hole about only allowing virgin clients to access and download drivers etc cause they dislike spam blockers.

So yeah the 570 will either go into the server (I game on it once in a while) or my work pc, also game on it with different games. Server has 2 of those 2560X1080 monitors hence I put a few games that would run that rez without bars or funny results. warhammer and similar.

Hope to get all this hdw crap dealt with so I do not develop a bleeding ulcer over it all. Just pissed I am spending cash on unneeded things. I had mentioned newegg multiple times when shopping on the other forum. I did hear about a hack at one point but most retailers have this issue.

Anyhow going with a fatboy evga XC Gaming or the bling RGB unicorn vomit MSI Gaming. Latter has a lot of longevity features like cooling on the power phases and ram while the evga is a bit cheaper and shorter, albeit fatter.

Fail on my respray walmart special case is at a fail point, forgot to cut access holes for the cables, the default routes put all the trunkline wires all down the middle of the itx mobo. So as my dremel ate its flex clutch I have to figure out how to do it with a coping saw without making a mess of the cuts. Ended up doing this for the fan hole as the dremel quit when I started cutting that. But hey that tool is from like 1993. So that stupid rubberish clear coupling was long overdue to perish into crumbly bits of sticky yuck.

anyhow wall of more text vaguely related to the forum. HAH, dunno anyone else in here fool with the hdw? Maybe if enough do I could open a thread for hdw bashing either building from parts or modding bits or just making pretty hdw builds. PC MAC Hackintosh linux box etc.

Ok some lol edit
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-770-vs-GeForce-GTX-460
    the 460 10yrold gpu is the winner? how?
    sadly people only care about gaming perf or mining perf. and only results I can find about power usage curves is for mining and that is full load. beh guess checking each card in a particular system and the watt load is my only solution to finding the highest consumers and eliminate em. TV helped a lot, so any bit I can do to cut that bill >o<

another edit
    Ok stuffed the 570 in the rampageIII system it booted after a fain failed on my AIO and the stupid bios forgot what hdd did what, real issue with that era pc, they never retain the hdd boot order. But its funky broke on my 2560X1080 displays but it works as good as default windrivers can do. So I have a option, or rather options. Swap the 460 to a 570 on a server system that sometimes hosts playback of videos and gaming. OR stick it in this pc and toss out the 770. 570 wastes the 770 in compute. But Max sucks at gpu compute, I do not use adobe anything anymore. So shrug? Firefox? lol I would think it might speed up those viewports so maybe. If I went that route I would likely shift the 770 to the server as I have really hated those 460s since the day I got them. SLI nightmares and boards just not liking them EG black screen o no boot or mid work video crashes. They seem to work OK alone but SLI em and geh forget doing anything. Any options welcome. >_>
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    evil_genius_180
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Heh, that 570 and a 1660 are overkill in a lot of things. Still, it never hurts to be prepared for anything. ;)

I've been playing on my gaming rig this weekend, it's got an RX 580 in it. That card handles a lot of games in 1080p on NICE settings. I played through Batman: Arkham Knight on it last year, and that's a game that is notoriously hard to get to work well on nice settings. It also plays Final Fantasy XV, which is another game that's a GPU killer. Not bad for what I paid for the computer it came in. In fact, that GPU was a major selling point for me. AMD graphics are nice, provided you're using the correct version of Windows for the drivers. My gaming rig has Win10 Home 64-bit on it, so no worries there.

Of course, no CGI was done by me during this weekend, but such is life. I have 5 nights of work, then I have 9 off, so I'm hoping to get back into CGI next week. Finding motivation for CGI has been a killer lately.
    edited September 2019 #34
    lol thought with the new built you would be fooling around with blender or LW.

I kinda wish I had gotten a 580 or 590 first and found out as it would have been a much better jump over the 770. 8gigs ram but hey 4gigs is double the gtx 770. Then again I dunno if max really uses the frame buffer. I am really leaning on putting that 570 in the work pc and moving the 770 over to the server and vanishing those 2 460s. Least then I know when I go to get rid of these 2 24" screens for 4k hdr I will be ready. The 770 is questionable if it can do 4k 60hz. Some specs say yes other say ehhh one says hdmi other says displayport. Hdmi is like the worst cable for me I have had more than half of the ones I have owned go bad on me or be the wrong type. all the stupid versions drive me nuts. More so as the old ones rarely are marked. My 4k one at least say 4k ethernet blah blah on it.

Yeah, a 1660 is overkill but those 1650s were all poorly cooled and look to be 2yr lifespan cards. I hope to keep whatever I get with the mobo cpu combo. Also as it is a 6600 cpu I worry about the 4k video via local files. Streaming so far is all so compressed it isnt much to handle. Least so far. Also figure if I have to sink this much I am going to be silly and game on the tv at 4k or use that freesync crap in the tv. Least the turin whatever chips in the 1660 will allow it. Least from what I have read. Part of why I looked at amd first though was a cheaper fresync entry. Oh well.

Oh man 9 days off? that's gotta be hard to gear back up.

Yeah atm I would rather stare at 4k youtube vids or movies. Fool with hdw or make a larger mess with cables all over the house. Cats have gone nuts over everything not where it should be.
    Heh, you can drive yourself crazy trying to find that right card, as there are so many to choose from. Though, like you, budget often comes into play with me. So, it winds up being the best card with the most features that I can afford at the time. Though, always two fans with these bigger cards and lots of RAM. I don't trust anything that's going to get that hot to a single fan, no matter how big the heatsink is.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    lol thought with the new built you would be fooling around with blender or LW.

That was the plan. Well, Blender at least. I just haven't found the motivation.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Oh man 9 days off? that's gotta be hard to gear back up.

Not really. I'm one of those people who doesn't call in and hardly ever takes time off, so I'll enjoy my 9 days and then be ready to go back.
    3D build, well you DO have what 5 more days off? lol
    Hopefully I can get to something be it 2d or 3d, already lost today to more failed fans.

edited September 2019 #37
    Well got the new card, least it installed all the controlling software. Got a similar c++ error but luckily it is tied to some help bs or other experience stuff I do not use. Drawback is no 4k@60hz 444, it defaults to 420 only. Dunno maybe the cable I have it too crappy. Something to figure out later as most of the stuff I play atm is 420 anyhow except maybe youtube. Just means text has a slight funk to it.

Got the amd in the main pc now and everythings fine EXCEPT. now in max the yellow viewport overlays that let me control them are missing in Nitrous driver. You can access the menus kinda but theres no text there. Move to ogl and they are back but Ogl performance is kinda crap and I loose all the advanced viewport features. Largest being the multiple light source displays. Old max could only display something like 4 lights max in a viewport and you couldnt just deactivate them. You had to remove them from scene to see other lights. I cannot go back to that horror. So anyone know a workaround? Running 2013 with I think all the updates available. If not I guess the card is getting a RMA. Sadly I think even this issue would be another "incompatible" mark as newegg wont do refunds on this.

REALLY bites as fully shaded with wires is like 3 times the framerate of the 770. Just bloody odd as other yellow overlays are fine just that text is gone. They call them viewport display settings, tried all the updating (alreay applied ages ago but redid them) and resetting my ui stuff. It is clearly a issue with the drivers I think. Only thing not tried is reinstall of max YUCK.
    Fooling around with my phone. First doodle sort of as everything else was just scribbles. Using autodesk sketchbook. Have to say amoleds hurt the eyes and a curved phone is not that easy hah. She has a lot more contrast in things on the phone. Maybe in the next few months someone will find one of the smaller emr pens will work with this phone. Thinking maybe the larger tablet pens might. Though I think those are capacitor charge as well so wouldnt work too well without the tablet to charge it heh. Note pen is like toothpick doodling!

Think a tablet with pen a larger pen might do better if anyone wants a doodle on the go. Dunno if they offer a decent 8" tablet with not crap rez anymore. Always seeing 720pish devices vs say 2560X1600.

note10plus-doodle-001.jpg
    Freakevil_genius_180Comcoscifieric
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    ux0qjaszo2ul.png

I have recently had some free time to get back into 3d, and decided to update this design.
    Hello to everyone that remembers me.
    Freakevil_genius_180scifieric
    Not 3d but kinda related as I programmed some of the max hotkeys and macros to it but it is mostly to replace the annoying cintiq express remote that has been a buggy POS since day one. I should have gotten the clicky one but these are ehhh otemu switches so the click is more of a fake thing than a real actuation noise. Also wish the caps I got came in white or black, the clear are not frosted enough to disperse the leds and given atm we cannot program them per switch all they are good for is lock lights and function layer IDs.
    macropad-01.jpg
    macropad-02.jpg
    All I need to do now is make a new back panel and route out holes for some rare earth mags so itll stick to my cintiq, using foam pads atm that do a ok job. Only drawback is it is not a funny shape or have buttons with a full set of unique "feel" to them so it needs a keyboard like memory on something your moving around at times.

Original plan was to laser print color inserts but my color printer turned itself into a mono one that looks like xerox from the 80s. So instead a ptouch printer was used for icons. A much cheaper solution to the pads the keycaps come from. Those a row of 8 buttons is like 200usd+ Something close to this thing is in the 500usd range. I think I paid 49usd for this. Koolertron keypad from amazon. They have smaller ones and larger ones with various options. I dunno how much something like this could be helpful in modeling but maybe it would work to map common used or those real annoying 4 and 5+ string hotkeys, or doing macros for common actions.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    out of curiosity do you model using the Cintiq and pen or Mouse and screen?
    Just mouse and screen. I never found a pen useful in modeling, even when I had a tablet.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    People's workflow hacks are always fascinating to see. :) I have a Streamdeck for hotkeys and macros, but still need to take time to properly set up profiles for all the different apps. Right now it's mostly an expensive launcher. :/
    lt35r0vqvi6h.jpg
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    The 3d puck reminds me one of the Chinese tablet brands did a "wheel" thing with their display tablets and I thought that would be cool as it was like the cintiq express remote thing where you can have like 25 of them on one dongle. Sadly that brand never sold them separately. If I remember it had the wheel and a X hat for various functions. And smaller units like a dj deck kind of size. Could use one for numeric entry zoom rotate etc.

So far I really do not use the koolertron outside of painting tools. Just not found any macros or hotkeys that are simplified by it. lol. If it was a larger unit I suppose with one or 2 "wheels" you could ditch the keyboard. That is if the doftware would allow mapping say unit entry to a wheel. Only reason I have a full sized KB is for the numb pad to enter numeric numbers in max.
    I've been looking at those modular Palette thingies every now and then, but haven't been able to justify the cost yet.
    a0178fwabwfo.jpg

Also, my computer is out of USB resources, which is apparently a thing that can happen, when you plug too many things in. I may have a peripheral problem :#
    scifieric
    Oh I remember those, had forgotten about them. Ones I was refering to were some cheapo chinese branded tablet company with a knock off cintiq with these knob things that you can use as a gizmo or place on the display to access on screen menus buttons etc. Kinda like that DELL tablet display.
    bbauftvwcv0qykgep5rv.jpg
    I just cannot find it online anymore so it really says something about it lol.
    scifieric
    That was an absolutely fascinating rabbit hole. :D

Basically you have the Surface Dial, which is very neat, if you have a Surface device, but basically mostly a bluetooth volume knob, if you don't. Then you have the Griffin PowerMate, which looks pretty nice, but has very wonky drivers for Windows. Then you have Contourdesign Shuttle stuff (I'm actually tempted to go pick up a ShuttleXpress just for giggles. I found one in stock just around the corner), and then there's this:

Luckily, I couldn't figure out how to buy one here. :p

As far as the cheap Chinese go, the only one I could find is this. I actually have a 13" XP-Pen display that's perfectly ok at what it does, so maybe the remote would be too. Looks pretty cheap though.

Oh, and if you're feeling industrious, there's always the Ahmsville Dial. :D

So, yeah... a peripheral problem :#
    I was bored.

megs_vs_springer.jpg?w=800
    Lizzy777Freakscifieric

Just testing out some things before I model up the right bits to do this.
    whofarted-001.jpg
    scifiericLizzy777
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Oh, this looks promising!
    Only real issues is how max deals with the booleans. So far it is a load of problems. One thing that some apps have max does not is the ability to use a cutter to chop things up and remove the inner and outer parts. Id love to retain the cut out parts so I can chop those up into bits but max cannot do this unless I make a solid cookie cutter like object. Which might be the way I go with this. Time frame though I will likely have to resort to post work for a lot of the texturing. I had hoped to just do multiple booleans to break it up but atm it just hangs for hours or gives illegal errors, heck even just a single boolean causes this error.

I think going forward i will go after rim detail over internal and just use a texture to bump up the surfacing inside. Sort of how I did those asteroids in the 2013 SOTL. Lumps ere displacement modifier but the overall rock detail was all a disp map in the material vs a modifier. Adds render time but I think it will minimize the boolean errors.

Have also found a recent MEH about 2017 and newer max is light updates, if I move lights around in the ortho views they do not update in the shaded perspective view. Only way to get an update is to manually go to the shaded view and select an object in it so a REAL PITA and a slowdown to the work. I just do not get why stupid bugs like this have crept in to max. Yes 2019 does it to so I will guess 2018 2020 and maybe earlier ver of max post 2013 do this too.

I have considered doing this in ARNOLD, so I might give that a go once I nail out the booleans and break up bits. So KIM that all materials are temp or placeholders.

whofarted-002.jpg
    whofarted-003.jpg
    Working on pie menus...

tjWq9oAc1g.gif
    OSD24e86Sr.gif

You know, instead of actually working on something :eyeroll:
    wot menus? lol j/k hate those in max. Mostly cause they jump things around so it isnt in the same location. Really screws with the muscle memory. Though I think in max those are bugs than a issue with the jump menus. Ones in the layer toolbar are the worst. Probably one more of the hundreds telling me to move to blender.

And that first one tells me blender DOES have some sort of smoothing groups, that hard edge thing.

well least if that IS blender, looks like it but heh.
    Modo ;)

Pretty sure Blender has nice edge weighting these days too, though...

I hooked the pies up to my Stream deck so I can access everything without letting go of the mouse and stretching my fingers, and it works the same with mouse and stylus.
    edited February 2020 #55
    lol, I was thinking that it would be cool to map those to a quad on a keyboard shortcut layer. Though I would probably forget the layers.

Just scary how close the theme colors and UI is with the menus to blender.
    The differences are more apparent around the viewport.

xbr.jpg

interface_window-system_introduction_default-startup.png

But I guess they are kinda converging... I do know plenty of Modo folks, who've made the switch when 2.80 came out
    Octopus2 makes pretty neat looking pies in Max
    yeah last time I had blender up it looked more like modo with the dark panels and orange. heh. I do not remember the amount of icons and color. Just loads of sliders and text.
    edited February 2020 #59
    Oh boy forgot how much I hacked up Firefox It looks horrible in win10 lol
    ff-puke-1.jpg?w=300
    I do not even know if dragging my prefs dirs over cleanly deactivated all the about:config crap and all the other junk I did. Barely remember editing text files to bend it. >_> I think the ugly is from me wanting win7 areo back. So I have to look at undoing all that now. >_>

I need to figure out how to kill all the gutter wastage in the win10 UI. Menus and crap take up way too much room for no reason.

Also happy little cores.
    happylittlecores-01.png
    render finished just as they started to clock up. It seems a bit slow to respond so maybe there is a setting to control how responsive it is.
    Figure I should be up and ready fully by the end of next week, least for now as I plan to open loop this case. Or pick up that EK aio if it is available without too huge of a markup.

Also testing silly cable tricks to see if I can relocate my case into a metal rack thing and got like 20ft of hdmi on a dvid converter (yes one of my 24s is old enough to only have dvid as a digital interface. Gotta replace them all once someone makes a decent 32" 4k screen. So only cable now that I need to fret over I think is my displayport to the cintiq. Though I am not limited with the hdmi as I was on the 770gtx. . . . mmmm lol

Another nasty I have found is with my display set up. I have my 1440p 27" with the 2 24s stacked ontop to the right. If I am dragging a window over to one of the 24s, I cannot move it up or down to the other 24. I have to drop the window then reattempt it a few times before it allows me to move it. Win7 had no issues with this. Maybe it is the taskbar, it is default display everything as a clone, vs each display. Anyhow if anyone knows a fix lemme know.

ok read snaps is part of the issue with the sticking windows. I also found that if I move them over a particular speed they do not "snag" or get hung up on the taskbars. If I move them slowly it hangs and often itll hang with the top of the window below the taskbar meaning it is stuck there. Likely some registry edit needed to fix this as it clearly is some setting, like the annoying youtube is full screen spam in firefox. which is a series of timeouts and settings. Turning off snaps helped a little but mostly win10 it is easier to turn these on and off as often when I span monitors the snaps in win7 drove me NUTS.
    edited February 2020 #60
    Welp not working on the 3d stuff I was working on . . . . .
    mostly squinting at blueprints and wondering which is borked here. I know it likely is the scan source that is causing this. I know they are hand drawn vs digital. but even the centerlines do not match up.
    Anyhow figuring out which is the one to go with
    BTW these are the official and whitefire plans overlaid.
    ent-d-plans.jpg

It is a bit late so I will likely hold off to find out which is warped or not. I also have to compare the obvious miss-matching details to the Studio model. Though that is subjective too as well, the model was redone for Generations and stuff probably moved then too. >_< (eugh wrong emiticon, did not even call fo rit lol

ANYHOW did a slight alteration the images were rotated out, so Whitefire is a bit wider with a few bits missing or located elsewhere (least in the top down.) Still not sure which to go with. They are so close i have to guess the offical ones traced over a lot of whitefire's existing work. That or they both had a clese ortho shot of the model or worked off some other existing plan. I dunno all the history behind these other than Whitefire was first and lost the FASA pub chance.
    ent-d-plans-aligned.jpg

Anyone know how to turn tool tips on the main UI of max off or a win10 fix for the timings?
    fingtooltips.png
    It is driving me nuts in win10, win7 I could disable "fade or slide tooltips into view" and it would stop them from blocking clicks. More often I am clicking to select a viewport tool EG rotate move zoom extends etc and I am clicking but the fing tooltip is blocking it so it does not select the tool and needless to say I go to pan rotate etc and I end up screwing a mesh up or doing whatever with whatever tool I had before. It has been a bug in max since before 2010, like version9. Fix was os based but now in win10 none of the performance things work to stop it and a month of this and it is driving me nuts.

thinking there might be a timer I could set to override or adjust timers.

hell I would be willing to excise all tooltips from the OS entirely. It might screw me on a few rarely used apps but if it keeps me from having to deal with this annoyance ugh.
    google is useless atm as anything max points to the ribbon tooltips or tooltips in some other part of max.