Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Trek News and Rumours

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I like it except for the arms. It look like an evolution of the TNG Admirals Uniform.

Though I would have like to see an evolution of TNG Movie era/ DS9 "War" Uniform back to peace Uniform so it was a mix of the two with something new.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited November 2019 #93
    It would seem that, despite popular belief to the contrary, they are still working on a fourth JJ-Verse Star Trek film, since Noah Hawley has been announced to be writing and directing it. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and Karl Urban are expected to all return. And, JJ Abrams' Bad Robot will be returning to produce, along with Hawley's own production company.

So, yeah, it looks like they're not giving up on that series of films. Looking at Hawley's credits, he's done a lot of writing on a few shows and has directed some episodes of Fargo and Legion. Maybe they're getting a TV writer and director to try and return to that TV show vibe that made Star Trek popular in the first place.

Also, this is completely separate from whatever Star Trek movie is being developed with Quentin Tarantino.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Never watch Legion but I have been told the first two season where pretty good. I also been told that the 3rd season started off will Current Hollywood Politics and was very "WOKE" but improved and got back to the quality of the first two seasons towards it end.

Looking at his the stuff he directed, he worked in the genre which is a good thing. That is one thing JJ had not done before Trek 09.
    It also look like Noah is not part of the Bad Robot Family (never worked for them) which is another good thing. We won't be getting any freaking Mystery boxes.
    while his next film look interesting (Lucy in the Sky) I don't know if it going to do well, only time will tell on that one.

As for Bad Robot still being involved, I am not surprised. If they are doing the Kelvin Universe and bring back Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and Karl Urban. Then they are only there because of that (Most likely due to the deal they made with Paramount), so Bad Robot will only have a small role in the making of this film.
    Now if Paramount had decided to bring back the TNG, DS9, VOY or Ent casts or do something new, you would not be seeing Bad Robot anywhere near this film.

As for Paramount making this film, again not surprised. They have not had a hit for a while now and just took and major bloody nose with Terminator: Dark Fate, so they need a success. Don't be surprise if it is announced that this next film has a very small budget.
    Hawley might be the next Harve Bennett and be able to produce a great film on a quarter of ST09 Budget. Only time will tell.

I don't know this guy's work at all, I don't watch any of the shows he's been involved in. But, at least he's got a lot of writing credits. And, you can have stuff come out that's great that's done by people with a small amount of credits or no credits. Like you said, he's done Sci-Fi at least. So, we'll see. Another Harve Bennett would be great. He could do a lot with a little money. That might be another reason for getting a TV guy, as he's used to working with smaller budgets.

None of this comes to a surprise to me. Sure, the thing with Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth set the movie back, but they can just scrap that idea and move forward with something else. And, they've already got an established universe going there, so they don't need to start over. I personally think Star Trek Beyond was really good, the best of the JJ series, so I was hoping it wouldn't end there.
    Reason Pine would not come back is that they would not pay, what he was contracted to get for the 4th film.
    I doubt that has changed. But this is just an announcement, so everything can still change. They may not even go with the Kelvin Timeline, so here hoping as I hate that and the look of it.

Hopefully the script hand in, someone does not go that too Star Trek like on the last one.
    I am hoping that someone turns around and say's that not enough Star Trek, go back and rework it so it more Star Trek. ;)
    They also may be willing to pay more to get Chris Pine back now, especially if they don't try to get Hemsworth too.
    That all Depends on if they can get the money. Don't forget Paramount just took two major hits and the box office.
    They are also lost one of there biggest backer in China due to law changes in the US and there.
    Right now they need a win and bet they are hoping that they listened to fan on fixing Sonic for that film, that will be a success.
    (It cost them an extra 30 million to redo all the Sonic animations.)
    Did you guys hear that D.C. Fontana died? She was, of course, the writer of many great TOS episodes, including "Journey to Babel" and its TAS follow-up/prequel, "Yesteryear." Of course, she wrote many more episodes, such as "Tomorrow is Yesterday," and worked on the later shows as well. If I listed all of her episodes, it would be a huge list, and many of them are fan favorites. Her writing was so good for TOS that she was promoted to Story Editor at only 27 years old, the youngest Story Editor in Hollywood at the time. She died on Monday following a short illness (no details) at the age of 80.
    Yeah I saw this a great shame.
    If Rodenberry was the father or Trek, D.C. was it mother.
    She will be greatly missed.
    evil_genius_180
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Noticed a lot of the news sites have just ignored this info and are all posting about the horrible idea of sect31 tv show and the never ending rubbish about jj movie 4. She was one of my favorites to see interviewed and to read.

If all things say that section31 is wrong for trek all you need to do is look at the mess it has made in the novel stories. I mean you want that sort of shit go find or create a universe where it belongs.
    evil_genius_180
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    edited December 2019 #102
    It's a shame when Star Trek news is so focused on what's going on in the newer stuff that they miss the passing of a Star Trek legend. She's one of the reasons Star Trek is what it is today, her passing deserves more attention. I'm thinking of popping some of my Blu-Rays and watching some of the episodes she wrote. "Tomorrow is Yesterday" has long been one of my favorite episodes, so I'll start there. :)

Yeah, Section 31 was never a good idea. I didn't care for those episodes of DS9. Then they drudged it back up on Enterprise too, with Lt. Reed having been a former member of Section 31.
    I like Section 31 in DS9 and though they where never named in Enterprise they where in the two part episode Demons & Terra Prime.
    They work in the dark to keep the Federation great doing the Jobs everyone else was unwilling to do or know about.
    But they should never have a entire TV show based around them. It just removes the mystery of them.
    I don't want to see a Star Trek version of Spooks (MI:5 for those living outside the UK), it should not be done.

In other news the Merger between CBS and Viacom (Paramount) is now completed.
    Star Trek is now all back under one roof. Don't expect any News of shack up in the Star Trek camp just yet.
    But with Shari Redstone being on record that she hates what JJ and Kurtzman have done/ doing to Trek, expect some in the next year. Shari was the majority shareholder for both companies before the merger and with the merger she keeps that title.
    She hold Star Trek as the crown jewels in her portfolio, so she will be wanting to make Trek great again.
    So anything that is not in front of the camera or close to going in front of the camera will most likely be binned as this has come from Kurtzman and co.

Depending on what Kurtzman deal is with CBS, I can see Shari courting someone that is proven in TV production and know what Trek should be, (Does not need to be a fan) and bring them on to replace Kurtzman.
    (It is also rumoured that Kurtzman has no been pulled of Trek and has only been kept in place as a figure head. IE talking to the press. It would also explain why every interview he has done since the summer has given us only information that we know before **his five year plan**, with the expect of stuff that was already in production.)

I can't see Brannon Braga being brought back or Rick Berman pulled out of retirement to come back.
    Ronald D Moore has his deal with Apple. (For All Mankind) So if she was to go after someone that has worked on Trek in the past to take control the only person I can see is Ira Steven Behr.
    They were about personal agendas and completing them by any means possible. Not a clandestine group for the better good. They were villains all that was bad about humanity.

Wont watch Braga trek either.
    Section 31 goes against the idea that is the Federation and Starfleet, as envisioned by Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. Nobody we've within the organization behaves like your typical Starfleet officers. While they may have the same overall goals as the Federation, their methods are an affront to the whole thing. Like MadKoiFish said, they're villains.

What's worse is, they organization has gotten more and more ridiculous on recent Star Trek. On DS9, they seemed to be a relatively small group who used Starfleet officers and ships to attain their goals. Maybe the occasional Admiral knew of their existence, but they were mostly anonymous. In Star Trek: Into Darkness, they were shown to have a giant shipyard in the Sol system, of all places. You can BS whatever you want about stealth tech, it was in our solar system and Scotty managed to find it with little work or issue. Admiral Marcus seemed to openly be a member of the organization, and even had a model of the Vengeance, their "top secret" dreadnought, on his desk. That's not every clandestine. Then on Discovery, things got even worse. They were shown to have a space station and their own fleet of ships. They had special black badges, which separated them from other Starfleet officers when they were aboard starships, making it impossible for them to blend in. Also, every Admiral in Starfleet seemed to know about them. That's the Section 31 any TV show based on them would be based off of.
    Section 31 goes against the idea that is the Federation and Starfleet, as envisioned by Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. Nobody we've within the organization behaves like your typical Starfleet officers. While they may have the same overall goals as the Federation, their methods are an affront to the whole thing. Like MadKoiFish said, they're villains.

You hit the nail on the head there. I like the idea of this small little group of people working in the shadows as portrayed in DS9 and Enterprise.
    Your also right that they where Villains thing themselves to be good guys.
    Hell even Sisko wanted to take them down but was too busy with the War.

As for what we seen in the JJ film and Discovery. What do you expect from people that don't know a thing about trek and just want to do what "look cool".
    Hell these people think that Section 31 is some sort of black ops unit, like our Special Forces found in our armed service with a bit of CIA thrown in.
    They claim to be fans but that BS, hell you pay me what they are getting to take control of a 50 plus year old franchise, that I never seen and I'll say I am a fan.

I love Robert Mayer Burnett idea, for hiring people for these franchise.
    He has never listed as below, but if your watch his youtube channel, these are the basic rule for hiring people to run a franchise.

1. You don't need to be a fan, but if the franchise is sicfi you have to have some successful experience in the field.

2. Before you even start putting pen to paper, you need to lock yourself away for three months minimum to learn what the franchise is. (so in Trek case, you watch every series and film. While the books and comic are not consider canon with Trek, you could mine some very good idea from them. just to get some rough ideas from them *Personally I would discount anything from 09 onwards in the visual medium. * )

3. if you claim to be fan, prove it and take a test. (This test would not be to difficult like: name the red shirt who die in episode 4 of the second season of The original series. But would have questions in it that general fans would know. It would not have question that are known though pop culture. You would also have to do it like a proper exam. Time limit , sitting alone, no internet etc.
    Depending on what you scores depended on it you got the job. If you got top scores you good to start, if you got a mid range score you would have to do step 2. *personal I would add if you got a really low score you would not be hired as your willing to lie.*

4. Respect the fans, they may not like what your doing, but you still need to respect and listen to what they are saying. They could have valid points.

5. Never ever insult the fans by calling them names "Man-babies, basement dweller" Etc. These are your customers, by insulting them they will want blood and spend money they where will to spend on your products else where.
    edited December 2019 #107
    The only condition I don't agree with is the first one. If you're looking for that big break, then you probably have no experience. Really good people have been looked over due to conditions like that. Though, say you're wanting to work as a writer or a design artist or model maker, you should at least be able to submit something you've created as an example of the type of work you can do. And, obviously, that work should be Sci-Fi.
    The only condition I don't agree with is the first one. If you're looking for that big break, then you probably have no experience. Really good people have been looked over due to conditions like that. Though, say you're wanting to work as a writer or a design artist or model maker, you should at least be able to submit something you've created as an example of the type of work you can do. And, obviously, that work should be Sci-Fi.

Chris that what I meant by experience, you look at a concept artist portfolio before getting a job, they got hundreds of scifi drawing.
    most of the time this will date back to being a kid. Why because they freaking loving it.
    It is with great Sadness that I must announce that René Auberjonois has passed away on December 8 at the age of 79.
    René Auberjonois is best know as playing Odo in Star Trek Deep Space Nine, though he has had a long career in film and TV.
    Odod was not his first role in Trek, his first encounter with Trek is in the Directors cut of Star Trek :VI The Undiscovered Country, as the villainess Colonel West.
    He would also return to Trek for the Enterprise episode Oasis as Ezral.

Auberjonois had been fighting lung cancer for some time.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.
    edited December 2019 #110
    That's a shame about René Auberjonois. A friend at work told me about his passing.

Robert Walker Jr. also passed away on December 5th at the age of 79. He was known for a doing lot of movies and TV guest appearances in the '60s and '70s. A couple of the things he's most known for are the movie "Easy Rider," and a memorable guest appearance as Charlie Evans in the 1966 Star Trek episode "Charlie X." Personally, I also remember him from the 1967 John Wayne and Kirk Douglas film "The War Wagon." I haven't found any details of his death.

Eerily coincidentally, "Charlie X" is an episode where D.C. Fontana wrote the teleplay.

And, I have to say, that's too many Star Trek people passing in one week.
    When it was announced Star Trek: Picard had no named showrunner. This can only mean that Alex Kurtzman was running the show.
    Before Picard was to go in front of the camera news came out that films had been delayed. The reason for this has never been made public, but the rumour mill stated that there was a disagreement between Kurtzman and CBS. Or more specifically CBS Mechanise Partners and the direction and look Kurtzman wanted to take Picard.

Changes where made and Picard started production but the CBS Mechanise Partners, where still unwilling to pick up the licence for this show. (This is why we still have not seen any mechanise for this show.)
    Shortly after going into producing it was announced that Michael Chabon had been made Showrunner.
    Again never stated publicly but the rumour mill came out to say that CBS had pulled Kurtzman from Picard and promoted him. This mean that he would be just the mouth peace of Star Trek. In another word he would appear to be still in charge and do all the interviews etc, but behind the scene he has no creative control. The only control he would have would come though his production company Secret Hideout which is currently making STD, Short Treks and Picard.

Since Chabon been named has showrunner rumours have come out that Production on the show has not gone smoothly and there have been lots of rewrite and re-shoots. (more than the standard Pick ups.)
    Now even before Picard airs next month, it has been announced that Chabon has stepped down as Showrunner and will not be returning for a Second Season. He is leaving Star Trek to be the showrunner on a new CBS show based on his book The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
    https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-trek-picard/284909/star-trek-picard-season-2-michael-chabon-to-step-down-as-showrunner

Make what you want of that, but I read that as the rumours being true that Picard is a hot mess. Why would Chabon be doing a multi year deal for a new CBS if everything is going well on Picard?

edited December 2019 #112
    Freak wrote: »
    Why would Chabon be doing a multi year deal for a new CBS if everything is going well on Picard?

Maybe Picard went so well that CBS wants him to do this other project. It may be a better paying project, being on Showtime, rather than CBS All Access. Maybe doing Picard was just him getting his foot in the door, so to speak. There are a number of reasons.

As always, I'll wait and see on Picard.
    P5ych0p4th
    That is possible, but I can't see it.
    But only time will tell how Picard turns out. I hope for the best.

The interesting thing will be who Viacom CBS gets to replace him. They need CBSAA to succeed or with the merger now complete will they just bin CBSAA and do a deal with Netflix. That is something Paramount is currently doing at the moment for their films.
    CBSAA needs to go away. They could do a deal with Netflix, but I don't know how that would work for Picard, being that it's going to be on Amazon Prime in places other than the United States. Though, I'm sure they'll work something out, if they go that route. CBSAA can't possibly be doing well.
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    I don't see them giving up on CBSAA any time soon. Streaming is just too important a business, to just give up. And I doubt, there's much life left in linear television. With the merger, they do have a movie division again, that can be used to finance the streaming business for quite some time. It's the one disadvantage Netflix has in all of this: they need their streaming business to generate revenue. Neither Amazon, Disney, Apple or CBS do.

Looking into my crystal ball, I'd say Neflix will be bought up by Apple in one or two years.

As for the show: if the rumors are true, the problem with Picard was, that they originally wanted to do anything they can, to distance it from Star Trek TNG (Visually and Storywise). If this Midnights Edge Video is to be believed (which is 50/50 at best) they're even using a different Star Trek License. When Amazon told them, that this Kind of Star Trek would not sell, they added a lot of Fan Service.

Now. I hate pandering just for the sake of it just as much as a Star Trek Show, that's Star Trek in name only, but with his in mind and the fact, that they're now able to use the actual Trek License again, I'm hoping for an actual new Trek TV Show ... you know ... one set in the future :-D
    edited December 2019 #116
    CBSAA is going to be one of the first casualties of the Streaming Wars. They just don't have the content, and if they are only just starting to make more content for it, it too little to late.
    Even with the Merger and getting Paramount back, along with Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon they still don't have the content, to go up with Disney / Fox.
    I heard from a reliable source that Paramount are in talks with Netflix for them to realise Paramount low budget films (this has been happing since the merger was announced). IE ones that would not hit the cinema, and those that do will also go to Netflix after their run in the cinema.

The influx of money for steaming is not going to last. Best guess I am seeing is that it will only last 2 to 5 years, then it will dry up.

CBSAA is not doing well, with it subscriptions. After all it only available to the US, with the other steaming services you mention they are available worldwide or will be in the next six months so they have more chance of growth.
    I am not sure that Apples will buy Netflix, they are losing a lot of market share at the moment with their computer division and it the same with Phone side, with Samsung now having a larger share than apple in the Phone market.
    They have not come up with any new innovations since Steve Jobs died and that is hurting them.

ViacomCBS is better to partner up with Netflix, instead of caring on their own. If that happens again, it unlikely Netflix would be sold to Apples, but ViacomCBS could snap them up. only time will tell.

As for you Trek show in the future, I agree with you there. But it needs to forget Discovery and possibly Picard (just say it an Alt timeline.) and carry on the timeline from Nemesis. That would make a lot fan happy.
    Unfortunately STD season 3 is set in the future and from the trailer it is ripping of Bryan Singer & Robert Mayer Burnett idea of Star Trek Federation.
    (something they never got the chance to pitch as before they could set up a meeting with CBS it was announced JJ was going to do a new film. They learnt from insider that with this deal with JJ there could not by any new Star Trek Show for ten years once the film had come out.)

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Federation
    Post edited by Freak on
    I'd say CBS All Access is on life support, as they've announced that Picard has been renewed for a second season. Obviously, they're hoping that show will save the troubled streaming service.
    Freak wrote: »
    I am not sure that Apples will buy Netflix, they are losing a lot of market share at the moment with their computer division and it the same with Phone side, with Samsung now having a larger share than apple in the Phone market.
    They have not come up with any new innovations since Steve Jobs died and that is hurting them.

Yeah, Steve Jobs literally saved Apple from going under when he returned to the company in 1997. He was so charismatic and able to take their computers, tablets and phones and get up on a stage and sell them to you like they were the best thing ever. Whether or not they were is a matter of opinion, but he could convince people that they were, which is what drove sales. Since his death, the company has been in decline. People are starting to question whether the latest iPhones are really worth the price, which they didn't do as much when Jobs got up on that stage and sold it to them. You can tell they're not doing very well when most of their phones and computers that have been released in the past few months have gotten almost immediate price drops. You don't do that when stuff is selling well at its list price.
    They did the same thing with Discovery shortly after it started airing.
    I guess they are hoping by announcing the second season it will drum up someone investment.

We seen this when Chris Hemsworth was announced for JJ 4th Trek film and we all know what happened with that. It also happening now with the new announced 4th Kelvin Timeline film.
    I asked RMB about this. As he has works in the industry, he thinks that it was Bad Robot that made the announcement and not Paramount. Two reason for this.

1st: Bad Robot, Star Trek Deal has come to an end as they have not got another Trek film into production since ST: Beyond. Even though they no longer have a deal with Paramount, they do get to have 1st option on making the next Trek film.

2nd: With Paramount have a fair few Box Office bombs over the last few years, they need something that can make money. Bad Robot is hoping that by making this announcement it will drum up the investors to make the movie. If they can get the investors they can then go to Paramount and say look we got the money lets make this movie and get the influx of cash you currently need.

With the Merger with CBS now complete, that plan by Bad Robot could have back fired on them, as ViacomCBS stock went up after the announcement that, and the fact that Paramount is in talks with Netflix.
    We know Netflix want Trek, but they have been very unhappy with what Kurtzman gave them, which is why Picard has gone to Amazon.
    Yeah, that's the reason I figure they're announcing season 2 before Picard even airs, to get people interested in it, particularly investors. But, we'll see what happens with it in a little over a month.

The Chris Hemsworth thing is kind of a different matter. They announced that they were in talks with him to be in the movie, but then those talks fell through. Hollywood tends to announce when people are in talks to play a particular role, whether or not it pans out. However, when one announces a show has been renewed, that means it will get another season. With this newer era of streaming shows, that doesn't necessarily mean that season will be coming the very next season, just that one will be made.

Though, one bit of good news for those of us who never wanted to see a Quentin Tarantino Star Trek film, he's apparently set his sights elsewhere for his 10th and (supposedly) final film. That makes sense. I'd rather see him do something in his own universe than play around in anyone else's universe. If he was in an established universe, he would either be too constrained by that universe's rules or he wouldn't follow them and it just wouldn't fit. Either way, I think it's best he sets his sights elsewhere.
    CBSAA and amazon is likely a offshoot from cbsaa being a "channel" on amazon since last year.
    Well it did not take long, but it looks like Tatantino will not be making a Star Trek film after all.
    Metro wrote:
    Quentin Tarantino might not make that Star Trek movie after all. Earlier this year, the star revealed how he wanted to work on an R-rated film for the franchise, but it seems he’s now having second thoughts. When chatting to Consequence of Sound about the project, the 56-year-old revealed how he might back out after the success of his latest hit, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. ‘I think I’m steering away from Star Trek,’ he told the publication: ‘But I haven’t had an official conversation with those guys yet.’ The acclaimed director added: ‘In a strange way, it seems like this movie, Hollywood, would be my last. So, I’ve kind of taken the pressure off myself to make that last big voilà kind of statement.

You can read the rest of the article here.
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/17/quentin-tarantino-second-thoughts-making-star-trek-movie-11920790/