Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DScifieric's 2019 USS Enterprise

• scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Are you basically going for a "4k" version similar to what Marc Bell has done with some of his Trek stuff with the level of detail?
    Hey, that's a good description!

It's just that every time I make a model, then I do a closeup of some obscure feature, and I or someone else notices segmentation, so I would keep going back and remaking the individual parts at a higher resolution.

I have a model that I'm actually moderately happy with, but I really got stellar reactions with my Tutorial Starship and when I lost that in a hard drive crash, I figured it was the opportunity to get a new backup system, AND to make a newer, closer-to-the-original model.

That's really all the thought that went into it! LOL!
    i5e6xsday41h.png
    c1hz2z75adwb.png
    w1dpcyefhlim.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenberg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Your work is always fantastic, Eric.

Also, in regards to backing up data, thumb drives are simple and convenient. I'd though I'd lost some references that I got from you for this ship, Eric, but I found them on one of my thumb drives. Sometimes, the simplest solution works out well. :)
    scifieric
    Your work is always fantastic, Eric.

Also, in regards to backing up data, thumb drives are simple and convenient. I'd though I'd lost some references that I got from you for this ship, Eric, but I found them on one of my thumb drives. Sometimes, the simplest solution works out well. :)
    That may be the brightest thing I've ever heard. Thank you, Chris!

And thank you for the compliment! (That's very kind of you!)
    edited November 2019 #35
    scifieric wrote: »
    That may be the brightest thing I've ever heard. Thank you, Chris!

I like the KISS method. Rock and Roll All Night... no, wait, wrong KISS. :p Keep it Stupid Simple. Sure, you can save stuff to the cloud. Not a bad idea. But, if you lose internet, your stuff is safe but out of reach. Thumb drives are literally at your fingertips. :)

Though, after a while it can be fun trying to remember what is on which drive. ;)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    scifieric
    I like the KISS method. Rock and Roll All Night... no, wait, wrong KISS. :p Keep it Stupid Simple.
    The band reference made me laugh out loud! Outstanding!
    I'm fairly happy with tonight's experiment with my using shrink wrap to a modified cylinder for the grills. There's a lot more verts and edges in this grill, but it works well.
    67WarpGrills-B.png
    67WarpGrills-C.png
    67WarpGrills-D.png
    evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    Modified cylinder? Interesting. Mine is just a bunch of flat verts with holes in it that I extruded for a bit of thickness. ;)
    scifieric
    Modified cylinder? Interesting. Mine is just a bunch of flat verts with holes in it that I extruded for a bit of thickness. ;)
    Yeah, my grill (to be explicit) is also flat verts that can be extruded. But, it was hard to get them to smoothly curve around in front. So, this time, I added extra geometry so that I could create an invisible modified cylinder in back of the grill, then shrink wrap the silvery grill on top of the cylinder. The grill "hugs" the surface of the invisible cylinder and the extra geometry hugs the curve pretty well! At least, in my opinion.

Weird, but works for me!
    evil_genius_180
    evil_genius_180, I know you don't like YouTube, but when I tried to upload this one video tutorial at Vimeo, it told me that the one file was well beyond my limit. So, here is a link to the YouTube video. Sorry, my friend.

https://youtu.be/YzWD6G3ClwI
    evil_genius_180MadKoiFish
    I've gotta over the hating YouTube thing. I mean, I still hate it, but too much good content you can't find elsewhere. Vimeo's limits are definitely a deal breaker, which is probably what keeps a lot of people from going over there.
    scifieric
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I love that micro-mesh detail! Really adds scale to such an otherwise smooth design.
    scifiericBrandenberg
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    furswift wrote: »
    I love that micro-mesh detail! Really adds scale to such an otherwise smooth design.
    Thank you, furswift!
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    I really hate all the advertisements on YouTube. My Ad blocker stopped working for YouTube, so now I have another monthly subscription to pay for so I don't get the ads. I guess it is worth it though, as I am on YouTube so much.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited November 2019 #45
    YOUTURD adverts, Go get ublock origin or ABP or Nano Defender. Only real complaint is ease of turning it off for adverts to make some dosh for people you follow vs yt adverts that exist fo rthose video thieves or clickbait 10best 10worst, reaction etc garbage. ;P

As for cloud, I hate the idea of stuff being on some server but the idea is to keep those eggs out of one basket, such as in your house. One fire, tornado whatever and the stuffs gone. Now I do not have stuff outside of my singular basket. Used to leave a old hdd at someone elses house. But well I lack a few hdds due to that.

Key fobs are ok for short term. They are volatile as in they do not last. KIM every keyfob out there today is a FAILED SSD memory chip. Every chip that fails durability size and speed are binned for usb keyfobs. Only way to get around that is to use sd cards as those are the few memory types that are still direct market manufactured. Or made for purpose.

A ssd or external ssd hdd is still the best storage for personal use, get a few of the 1tb ones and keep one in a deposit box at a bank if your really hard up to preserve data.

I still stand by a external archive and backing up manually once a month or so and doing so on multiple drives. ATM I maintain 3 external hdds with backups. If $$$ was easier to come by Id have some ssds as 3d only backups. If those loose write ability you can still read the cels, a spinny hdd a sector goes it goes, no read or write.

124usd for 1tb
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-1tb-external-usb-3-1-gen-2-portable-solid-state-drive-black/6356717.p?skuId=6356717
    though you could save some $$ and get a internal and take it out or use a sata to usb adaptor. As ssds usualy are in a decent casing. Those are getting cheap too as everyone who wants superfast are going for NVME drives vs a cabled connected SSD.

If I did nto have to get 2 4tb replacement internals I would be very tempted to go that route.

Oh wow I looked at the size of that pny, might be a danger of uh loosing it it is so small.

Heh watched the video, if anyone wonders why I cannot get into blender is to watch that video then watch any of the modeling videos I have up on yt. It is like different worlds.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    I really hate all the advertisements on YouTube. My Ad blocker stopped working for YouTube, so now I have another monthly subscription to pay for so I don't get the ads. I guess it is worth it though, as I am on YouTube so much.

I don't know what you're using, but Ublock Origin works for me. In fact, I forget YouTube has ads until I'm using an app on a different device.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    I just store everything in the cloud. The no internet argument is kinda silly these days IMO. If you are super worried about privacy and stuff like that, you can hire professional storage services instead of using something like Google or Dropbox.
    Viper wrote: »
    The no internet argument is kinda silly these days IMO.

Yours never goes out? Mine does from time to time. But, you're right, the cloud is a good option. I have some stuff saved to Dropbox, and I know it's safe there.
    edited November 2019 #49
    heh or the poor saps on pg&e are lucky to have power let alone internet. Go morth of here and airquality is super shit as all these cocks are running multiple generators.

I think for most hosts the real issue is bandwidth caps and shit upload. AT&T Verizon etc are all piss ant 200gig caps or less with horrid 30usd per 1gig or something over fees. Just youtube alone will use that up and I can just imagine attempting to store 1tb of shit online.

Also here in Amurika, tell it to all those people who have made places like mc donalds display diner time limits of 15min. The local Mcd here though is still full of people in their cars idling to steal wifi. 2 people eating burgers and 20 cars in the lot.

oh btw 12tb easystore WD external at best buy for 179usd in store. These are some of the fastest usb3 drives I have seen. Most only do 36mb on usb3 on sustained copy EG files in the 2+gig range. Easystore goes about 120~160. Avoid those WD units with the angled ribs on. EXP if your on a older intel cpu My leech pc often wont even recognize it anything newer than a 4770k era is ok.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    edited November 2019 #50
    Viper wrote: »
    The no internet argument is kinda silly these days IMO.

Yours never goes out? Mine does from time to time. But, you're right, the cloud is a good option. I have some stuff saved to Dropbox, and I know it's safe there.

I have 2 DSL connections plus 4G on the phone. Something catastrophic has to happen for all 3 to go down at the same time. In any event, we are talking about backups. If all 3 connections went down right now, I would still be able to work on my projects. When the internet comes back, everything syncs.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I think for most hosts the real issue is bandwidth caps and shit upload. AT&T Verizon etc are all piss ant 200gig caps or less with horrid 30usd per 1gig or something over fees. Just youtube alone will use that up and I can just imagine attempting to store 1tb of shit online.

I don't have transfer limits. Surprised that US still has that.
    Post edited by Viper on
    edited November 2019 #51
    I do not think there are many unlimited isp in the us anymore, least none that are not small local businesses. AT&T claim they have one for like 200usd a mo. I think Verizon is similar. Pretty much if you watch netflix you have maybe 3 days a week of a few hours watching at 1080p, anything more and it is 30usd a gig. KIM a flix tv show is about 2~3gigs a pop, some as large as 5gigs. Movies are 8~20gigs. Not tried a 4k or hdr offering yet.

Also there is no regulation on "unlimited". My t-mobile unlimited in fine print is 20gigs a mo. "higher usage users will see a reduction of speed until the next billing cycle." EG you get 1970s speeds.

There is no motivation to remove these caps, why spend for overage and infrastructure support when you can just cap users and sell more lines on the same overloaded lines and profit more. I am shocked they have yet to push for a la carte per gig fees over any sort of "service". Morales need not apply

It is like cel phones. Apple and google remove the pickup hang up so they can upsell a 5usd a mo or so APP that allows you to block these callers from getting to voicemail. A real annoyance when you get 10~40 of these a day. Same greed reason they deregulated and dismissed the law banning machine calls to cel numbers. All for profit.

So yeah US is major 3rd world in consumer protection and ISP exploitation. I think most 3rd world countries get better internet.

But still if your files are not a huge hot mess or are not in the TB range, cloud isnt that bad, and if you really feel the need you can encrypt your crap or even just rar it up with a password.

So off topic, sorry Eric.

scifieric
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    The grill work is very cool. Love it.
    scifieric
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    So off topic, sorry Eric.
    LOL! Not a problem. I'm just glad my little thread is getting some attention. Keep going!
    The grill work is very cool. Love it.
    Thank you, Brandenberg!
    Sometimes I want to break from my plan of modeling everything first and just go right into finishing some version of this model.

So, to tamp down that urge, I make the occasional render. I've always wanted to make 2nd pilot model renders.
    p8cvycgvrk8t.png
    b020s9y8isx9.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777MadKoiFishFreakashleytingerBrandenbergWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    That looks great, I especially like the deflector material.
    scifieric
    That looks great, I especially like the deflector material.
    Thanks Chris!

It's just a temporary material. I believe that the color was actually the same rust/red color that the bussard domes were painted.
    Yeah, it was definitely redder in the pilot version. But, that's really close to the series version. Also, I always love your metal materials, you do a wonderful job on those.
    scifieric
    Yeah, it was definitely redder in the pilot version. But, that's really close to the series version. Also, I always love your metal materials, you do a wonderful job on those.
    Wow, man! Thanks!
    Did a VERY small amount of work tonight. Just feeling plain tired.

These are simple test renders to see if I'm on the right track. I think (for the first time) I may have the warp engines near the right place.

One render is for the early production version of the ship. I hadn't realized that they only made the opening titles AFTER they had the lights in for the production model.

69ProductionOrbit-D.png
    69SecondPilotForward.png
    69SecondPilotForward-A.png
    69SecondPilotForward-B.png
    69SecondPilotLeaveOrbit-F.png
    69SecondPilotRear-C.png
    69SecondPilotSide-E.png
    Lizzy777Rekkertashleytingerevil_genius_180Freak
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Very nice, wish I could render like this.Well done!
    scifieric
    srspicer wrote: »
    Very nice, wish I could render like this.Well done!
    Hey, if you follow my YouTube tutorial, you can!

I appreciate your very kind words.

These renders are entirely slap-dash and just meant to see if I can figure out model configuration and lens settings to approximate what they did in the 1960's.
    srspicer