Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Greetings!

Welcome to the fancy new Scifi-Meshes.com! You old username and password should work. If not, get in touch with staff either here, on Facebook or on Discord.

For a quick summary on what's new, check out this thread.
You should also check out the Community Guidelines here.
You can check out most recent posts here or by clicking the handy links on the top menu or the sidebar.

You can dismiss this message by clicking the little X in the top right corner.

StarCraft ships

2»

• xiaorobearxiaorobear55 Posts: 48Member
    edited September 24 #32
    Learned how to sculpt in Blender 2.8, here is a Zergling I am working on to go with the hydralisk!
    https://gfycat.com/goldengiftedaldabratortoise

lonedeafeningibizanhound.gif
    Post edited by xiaorobear on
  • ComcoComco292 Posts: 1,262Administrator
    Image embed didn't work, but damn, that's really nice sculpting! B)
    Thank you! And thanks for the heads up, darn embed. Here is a still image. Just the feet to go!

WLgFFB3.jpg
    Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on September 24, 2019.
    Retopoing the Zergling... it's boring! But then I can animate it.

I also started texturing a head to go in my in-progress marine armor. Not planning on animating the face, maybe an eyebrow raise and a blink if I absolutely have to.
    Still need to add wrinkles, maybe some chapped lips, a scar or some bad skin for asymmetry.
    MGUEfox.png
    Dystopian futures are not a place to have a good time.
    Freak
    • Like - Freak on October 7, 2019.
    Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on October 7, 2019.
    edited October 10 #36
    Ok, back to space for a minute. There is a small craft in SC1 that looks about halfway between shuttlepod and shipping container. The original model was very very simple, but I'm going to use it as an opportunity to do some proper greebling, so I can try out some procedural texture techniques.

lPlO1dV.png
    rRdhTqt.png

I also revisited a lava planet matte painting that I will hopefully put the shippingpod / shuttle container in front of.
    J6C4m2P.jpg

It seems like all planetary orbit shots always have the planet totally in focus. Why is that?
    Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on October 10, 2019.
    shuttle-crate update:
    Vuj2Q1n.jpg
    Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on October 10, 2019.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla426 HelsinkiPosts: 2,496Administrator
    That's from the end of the Terran campaign, isn't it? Just before the default 3ds max fireball explosion from back in the day. :p

Anyway, good start on the crate.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    edited October 12 #39
    Thanks! And yes, that is exactly where that screenshot is from. However the same model is also reused at the start of the "Battle on the Amerigo" cinematic, as a transport for a small infantry/demolitions team to an abandoned science vessel. So that's why I don't know if it should be more shuttlepod or cargo container. Could be both using the same basic ship frame.

More small progress:
    AxtqozL.jpg

I think I might try adding a ring of fabric around the docking airlock area, since fabric ships are all the rage these days. But that might be straying a bit too far from the original StarCraft aesthetic, which is all rusty metal and no fabric.
    Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on October 12, 2019.
    No textures yet, but dropped the model so far into Blender 2.8 and tried to do a little light and post processing. Learning as I go- this is probably too much glare.

D7XdB5Q.png
    Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on October 13, 2019.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy777329 PNWPosts: 461Member
    xiaorobear wrote: »
    No textures yet, but dropped the model so far into Blender 2.8 and tried to do a little light and post processing. Learning as I go- this is probably too much glare.

Not too much if you're trying to do JJ Abrams style Trek. High contrast, over-saturation, and a heavy reliance on lens flares!

xiaorobear
    • Like - xiaorobear on October 13, 2019.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Making a little more progress! And added some ambient score in garageband.

I'd still like to add some more space dust or something to add more depth. This is also rendered in Eevee, not Cycles, for faster iteration. And there will be a few more details and higher res textures for the final.
    Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on October 18, 2019.
    Freak
    • Like - Freak on October 18, 2019.
    McC
    • Like - McC on October 25, 2019.
  • FreakFreak569 Posts: 3,630Member
    Very Cool!
    xiaorobear
    • Like - xiaorobear on October 18, 2019.
    edited October 20 #44
    Here is another update, with more detail and higher res textures for the pod, and some voice acting.

I could not be more pleased with substance painter for this- I was able to add rust, wear, and grime, and overlay those varied rectangular panels all procedurally. I was originally planning on modeling more detail but given how dark the clip is I think I'm pretty much set.

OW2AVcg.png

Only downside is for Painter I do still need to UV unwrap and bake maps of any ship, so while I could apply this same material to a giant capital ship, I still have to UV it. Or automatic UV and just use extremely high res textures...
    Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on October 21, 2019.
    Freak
    • Like - Freak on October 21, 2019.
    McC
    • Like - McC on October 25, 2019.
    edited November 3 #45
    Started texturing my zergling model this weekend. Retopoing it was a big pain. It's still unnecessarily high poly, ~26000 tris, but a lot more of that could have just come from the normal map.

JmcZCjJ.png

And some spooky lighting:
    e09GJKK.jpg
    Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on November 4, 2019.
    Freak
    • Like - Freak on November 4, 2019.
    edited November 30 #46
    Building off of the Substance Painter smart materials I've made above, I can now turnaround low-detail ship textures very fast. Here is an update of a very old 2700 tri model with PBR textures. It's a little quick and dirty, and some of those procedurally-placed stains or rust are a little bit of overkill, but if you're never seeing this ship up close it's pretty cool.

9wuxcAK.png

Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on December 1, 2019.
    Freak
    • Like - Freak on December 3, 2019.
    This workflow also lets me grab old models I did 5+ years ago before I knew what I was doing and bring them up to a passable state for distant viewing- or one of those 3d size comparisons, which I always love. Here is an early preview of one- I will add more stuff to it!

https://gfycat.com/enragedvelvetybellsnake

And a couple screencaps since you can't embed Gfycat gifvs here. Also a T-70 X-wing I made back before Last Jedi came out for some comparison with Star Wars scale.
    z7g99XN.png
    Wq3BGPQ.png
    EflFCOZ.png

Super happy that Blender Eevee exists as I'm able to render this on my laptop in minutes instead of days.
    Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on December 3, 2019.
    Freak
    • Like - Freak on December 4, 2019.
    Another low poly capital ship, the Minotaur-class Battlecruiser. Getting better!

Qx2B6t8.gif
    Freak
    • Like - Freak on December 9, 2019.