Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    edited October 2019 #2312
    Should the MSD area have chairs for it? Usually they don't.

So, you did Sabre, Steamrunner, and now doing Norway. Are Akira and Sovereign (Enterprise-E) next?
    Post edited by Rusty0918 on
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited October 2019 #2313
    @kaden: Thank you very much! Yes, I do all the LCARS myself using Inkscape.

@Rusty0918: As stated before I'm basing this one on the Rhode Island, which had the MSD directly above regular stations. These style of consoles always had the monitors for the users at the middle (at eye level) with a much bigger panel on top for the whole bridge to see, so it would make sense in a more compact design such as this one, to have the MSD atop the engineering station (just like Voyager has).

Speaking of which, I've finished the MSD, along with the central engineering station.
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1571867663
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    JMP11ashleytingerFreakBrandenbergevil_genius_180
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    edited October 2019 #2314
    Very nice! For some reason, I’m loving that squarish LCARS graphic with the rounded corners on the Mission OPS station, lol.
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    JMP11
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice, I love the touch of the insignia on the back of the chairs.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Reminds me a little bit of the Pasteur bridge, but your idea is a lot more refined.
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks! Haha, that's the Astrometrics graphic from the Frontier reused. ;)

@Freak: Thought I should add that little detail, it's on the real chairs. I also included a different insignia there on some of the bridges where another combadge was in use.

@ashleytinger: Indeed, the Pasteur was a big influence for this, as stated before. :)

I've been working on the ceiling. Still not 100% done, but nearly there. Greatly inspired by Voyager's, but still unique in several ways.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1571939660
    Brandenbergevil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    You're inspiring Rekkert. I've not done much of this kind of thing, you make me want to.
    Another ship that could have a bridge like this, that Nova-class concept in the TNG Technical Manual (the one with the triangular saucer).

@Rekkert - Now I understand about the chairs, sorry.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I really like the ceiling design.
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Rekkert wrote: »

I've been working on the ceiling. Still not 100% done, but nearly there. Greatly inspired by Voyager's, but still unique in several ways.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1571939660

Did you consider lining up the ceiling beams, with the structural beams around the walls? So it appears to be one super-structure?

edited October 2019 #2322
    @Brandenberg: Then do it mate, it's quite a cool thing to do. :)

@Rusty0918: True! I tend to consider that one with more of a Defiant style bridge, but it would certainly be fitting as well. No need to apologize about the chair thing!

@evil_genius_180: Glad you do!

@mdta: Not really, as being an oval shaped room it's impossible to line up the structural beams and get them to meet at the center point, which I wanted them to do.
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2019-10-25-05-25-59.jpg?1571996761

I've added up more details on the ceiling, and started working some more on the viewscreen area. I'm not quite sure how to occupy the ceiling space directly next to the walls, it's quite empty right now, but I don't particularly want to add any more lights. Any suggestions?

Also, I thought I should at least make the guest seats a bit comfortable, rather than the plain hard surface they were on Voyager, so I added some slight padding to them. Neelex would've appreciated these.

tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1571996764
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1571996760
    mdtaevil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777Brandenberg
    You could always do a smaller paneling pattern around the perimeter of the ceiling, where it meets the walls. Paneling is always a good way to go with Trek. ;)
    You could always do a smaller paneling pattern around the perimeter of the ceiling, where it meets the walls. Paneling is always a good way to go with Trek. ;)

I was just going to suggest either paneling or access panels of some sort lol
    I don't think adding access panels near the ceiling where it meets the bulkheads is really necessary.
    Toyed around with several different options for that ceiling section, but I liked none of them. In the end, I left the space empty; Voyager has quite a lot of empty space in some portions of the bridge, particularly the sides near the alert status indicators, so I'm not worried about it looking like it's missing something.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1572295312
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1572295316
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1572295320
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1572295323
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1572295327
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-budapest-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1572295302
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777ashleytingerFreak
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Really love the mini-Voyager vibe. Nice work.
    I'm actually glad you left that ceiling area blank. It's Star Trek, there's no need to detail every nook and cranny. Overall, I think this is yet another fantastic bridge. As BolianAdmiral said, it's got that "Voyager Lite" look to it.
    So, what's next, the Akira-class?
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Among other things, what a great looking chair.

Hey Rekkert. Do you happen to have an interior of the Dining hall in 1701-A from Undiscovered Country?
    edited October 2019 #2331
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks! :)

@evil_genius_180: Yeah, I'm sure it was the right call, even if the first instinct is to fill every surface with greebles haha.

@Rusty0918: Not right now, but yeah, I'll tackle the Thunderchild bridge sooner or later. ;)

@Brandenberg: Haha, thanks! I don't have that one done, though it's a redress of the TNG observation lounge, so looking for the latter might help you find good references.

Tangentially related to this thread, there's a new article at Ex Astris Scientia on which I've worked on, with the help of Bernd and Jörg. This article is a list of all the off-the-shelf chairs (and sofas, stools, etc.) used in Trek that we've been able to identify, which you can read here.

A few years ago, several developers of Stage 9 (myself included) had spent a long time researching this topic, as having accurate measurements on furniture was paramount on creating an accurate replica of the TNG sets. That info was pretty much gone though, as it was buried in the chat we were using at the time. Still, inspired by this, and with the help of former S9 dev Jeff_the_Sloth, I begun compiling the data once again.

The idea was to have a single online repository of all this information, which I found is super useful when trying to model chairs, as it simplifies the search for measurements and references.

We've spent close to a month working on this list, and with the help of several community members such as @Donny and @Lt. Washburn we managed to identified a sizeable amount of chairs. Still, there are countless other chairs used on Trek that remain unidentified. Feel free to go through our partial list of unidentified chairs, perhaps you can recognize one we missed!
    evil_genius_180
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Tangentially related to this thread, there's a new article at Ex Astris Scientia on which I've worked on, with the help of Bernd and Jörg. This article is a list of all the off-the-shelf chairs (and sofas, stools, etc.) used in Trek that we've been able to identify, which you can read here.

Super useful! Thanks for the work on that :)

Rekkert
    Yeah, that's really cool. I haven't looked at the whole thing, but I'll do that later. :)
    Rekkert
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The Bridge turned out really nice!
    Rekkert
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Finally back again after some internet downtime... Somehow the images for the Yeager don't show.... :/
    Rekkert
    edited November 2019 #2336
    @Aresius: Oops, apparently I added the images to the post incorrectly, I've fixed that, sorry. :)

Been working on several things at the same time this past week, including three commissions, but I don't have anything new to show yet (I keep hitting walls with the Probert Enterprise-D concept bridge ceiling, that thing is a really hard shape).

Anyway, today I started doing some cleaning of my documents and file structures for the interiors. For some inexplicable reason, when I started doing this I kept all the textures needed for a set inside the set's folder. This means that in every set's folder there's a copy of the exact same carpet texture, to just give an example.

That wasn't so bad when I had a handful of rooms, but now I have 50 (counting all the WIP commissions, more on that next week hopefully), which means I'm wasting a lot of space on copies of the exact same carpet, leather, and wood textures, among others. Today I finally created a central textures folder where all of these will go, though individual sets will retain unique textures inside their folders for things like LCARS, which are never shared and make more sense to have distributed.

This also meant keeping track of which sets were up-to-date with this new file structure, which meant updating and adding columns to my master spreadsheet (something my old job made me fall in love with: good spreadsheets). Anyway, all that to say, a lot of behind the scenes stuff being done.

I decided to do a little experiment when changing the textures from one of my older sets, and gave a little overhaul to the USS Potemkin briefing room, given that it's such a small and "simple" set. I added actual spotlights around the walls; plus updated most of the models to newer versions I had since done, including the potted plants and chairs, which now sport the accurate fabric lines along the center. I won't be doing this for any more sets right now, but I might revisit some others in the future whenever I got the chance.

What do you think of the changes?

Old:
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1573097027

New:
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1573097031
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBrandenberg
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    The spotlights look brilliant, and add a lot more "life" to the room.
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1573097031

MadKoiFishrojren
    Yeah, the spot lights really help it look more realistic.
    I still love that briefing room. It's the perfect nod to the Cage/WNMHGB version and something that fits with post TMP/TNG tech.
    I'm happy you all like the new version of the briefing room!

So, besides the three commissions I previously mentioned, I've also been working on a small redress of the Odyssey bridge for @BolianAdmiral, to make it the battle bridge for his USS Frontier. He's on a tough spot health-wise right now, so doing this one was my way of sending good wishes his way.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1573421957
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1573421866
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1573421869
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1573421873
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1573421876
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-frontier-battle-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1573421853
    MadKoiFishLizzy777rojrenashleytingerevil_genius_180FreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenberg
    Almost makes me think the Odyssey scenes were all on its battle bridge. Phenomenal job as always.
    Rekkert