Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice, I always wonder why they got rid of the Holo-screen after Frist Contact.
    Might due to FX cost but I can't see that being a issue for the films. TV yes, films no.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Freak wrote: »
    Nice, I always wonder why they got rid of the Holo-screen after Frist Contact.
    Might due to FX cost but I can't see that being a issue for the films. TV yes, films no.

Yeah, it's hard to say. Insurrection and Nemesis both had higher budgets than First Contact. Maybe Jonathan Frakes decided he wasn't happy with it in First Contact, so it got nixed for Insurrection.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    If I remember correctly, it was fan outcry at the time.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Outside of the screen appearing, I genuinely don't remember there being a holoscreen. I suppose that was it. But... how noticable was it, really?
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    I think they are talking about how the main screen was virtualish as when it was off it was just a padded wall vs a black framed object. If you watch early TNG eps you can see how they attempted to make it appear to be a 3d display with camera angles of the frame and it's content.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited October 2019 #2287
    Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you all like the Yeager bridge design.

Regarding the screen, yeah, it's not really clear why it wasn't used after First Contact, Memory Alpha just says "producers didn't like it". During the movie there are small orange dots above and below the viewscreen area, and they generate a floating flat image when needed. When it's not in use, the background wall is visible. It's really not that big of a difference from the status quo.

firstcontact0114.jpg
    firstcontact0174.jpg
    firstcontact0175.jpg

For Insurrection, this was replaced with a standard looking screen, which just displays a UFP logo when not in use.

insurrection0167.jpg

This was the original floating screen I created for the Yeager (hence why there are lights on top of the background wall, they made more sense with this screen). I made it a bit curved rather than flat as on the Ent-E, and wider at the bottom, to make it flow better with the light columns at the sides. But alas I didn't quite like it, hence why I ended up replacing it.

Ironically, this first screen was the inspiration for the aft "floating" MSD, to make both the front and back of the bridge have a similar looking element at the center.

tadeo-d-oria-c2-02.jpg?1571523074
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    evil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777ashleytingerJMP11Freak
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited October 2019 #2288
    Your bridges always look fantastic.

All of the screens done for the older films look better than the windows. :p
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I never liked the holoscreen, either. As a crewman, I’d get so bored looking at just a blank wall when the screen wasn’t in use. I’m glad they got rid of it.
    Warp Propulsion Laboratory
    As a crewman, I’d get so bored looking at just a blank wall when the screen wasn’t in use.

Good. That means you're focused on your station, not staring at the stars. :p
    BolianAdmiral
    edited October 2019 #2291
    As a crewman, I’d get so bored looking at just a blank wall when the screen wasn’t in use.

Good unless you’re the navigator... :p
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    evil_genius_180
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    The leather on the chairs. So real. I love your work.

Good unless you’re the navigator... :p

Touche, good sir. :)
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I like that you tried the holo screen. Either way it looks great.
    edited October 2019 #2295
    I really like the holo-screen you made.

@ashleytinger is right, I now remember fans not liking it. Me Personally Loved it.
    This was due to a wall just being there. In all version of Trek, when the bridge has been in use the viewscreen has been on. They just need to see where they are going.

I guess fans forgot that a Sub does not have viewscreen for the navigator to see where he is going. :p
    Post edited by Freak on
    Freak wrote: »
    I guess fans forgot that a Sub does not have viewscreen for the navigator to see where he is going. :p

Realistically, a starship would use sensors. That's how a navigator would navigate, using sensors and star charts. The viewscreen also uses sensor data to show what's outside the ship. So, you don't really see outside the ship using the viewscreen anyway, you see what the sensors say is there.
    I finished the MSD, and changed the overall color pallet of the bridge to the Insurrection/Nemesis colors. I didn't quite like how the viewscreen looked with the more copper tones it had before. I still have to rework all the perimeter station LCARS, but other than that I think I'm happy with how it looks now.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1571565733
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1571565596
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1571565592
    FreakLizzy777JMP11ashleytingerevil_genius_180
    Nice
    Rekkert
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    I think that this is a bridge that the Nova-class should have had (e.g. VOY "Equinox").
    Rekkert
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    This is a ship I want everyone to be best friends on, you know? Like a big family, it's so cozy, I want them to hang out there and gossip and maybe for the helm and conn to be a couple or even married and the captain is their dad...

I am shipping a damn location!
    Rekkert
    edited November 2019 #2301
    @Freak: Thanks! :)

@Rusty0918: Agreed! If budget would've allowed, it would've been much more fitting for the class to have a smaller bridge.

@BlueNeumann: Hahaha, given the small crews the Saber allegedly has (40 people) it could be assumed to be a big family rather than the more formal environment on larger ships.

Here are the renders of the completed room:
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1571981043
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1571981047
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1571981051
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1571981054
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-yeager-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1571981057
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    ashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180FreakI14R10
    That looks really sweet. This could be a standard bridge for a lot of later TNG-era small ships.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    1, really like it! Nice job!

2. I think there should be some sort of window of some sort, or people will get some type of claustrophobia of some sort being in a semi small room with no windows.. so a viewscreen thats always there would lesson the cramped feel.. :)
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! Yes, the overall structure uses the same standard components from the Excelsior/Prometheus, so really it's quite modular and I can see it being a base for all kind of other designs. :)

@VALKYRIE013: Thanks, nice to see you back here mate! That's a good theory regarding the viewscreen, maybe they rolled it out for a while but discovered that the bridge crew was affected negatively without the "window".

Returning to the 'First Contact fleet' motif, the only ship I haven't talked about yet is the Norway-Class USS Budapest. I had actually envisioned the Budapest bridge a long while ago, as a redress of the Pasteur bridge, but with the Voyager style. I never developed that idea, but the focus of a central Captain's chair with 6 seats directly behind stuck with me as a "must have" of whatever Budapest bridge I ended up developing, I don't know why, it just did.

Anyway, the Yeager proved to be a good base for this idea, and even before finishing that bridge I had already created the Budapest one in my head. The bridge is rotated 90° here, with another set of consoles added to the space directly behind the captain (which used to be where the turbolift door was on the Yeager).

Other than that though, I think the set structure is pretty unrecognizable, as everything's been modified in some shape or another. A lot of details are missing still, particularly at the front and ceiling, but it's getting there. What do you think?

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1571725375
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1571725379
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1571725383
    JMP11Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180Freakslybrarian
    Nice. I like the very Voyager-derivative look to the set.
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    That’s a sweet looking bridge!
    I really like that with the six stations behind the captain's chair and the split conn and ops stations in the "pit" really look great.
    Love the Voyager Styling of the Bridge.
    You really don't see it that often, so it nice to see it for other ships.
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    I agree with the Voyager styling, nice to see it used.. Is the center seat temporary? I'm just wondering if you might end up replacing it with something more Voyager-esque?
    Glad you're all liking the direction of this one. I'm not the biggest fan of the Voyager aesthetic myself, which is why I haven't really used it that much, other than the Appalachia and now the Budapest, but I do like it in moderation. ;)

@Rusty0918: I'll probably keep the Ent-E style chairs. This is for the "First Contact fleet" after all, so I do want to keep that link with the E at least in some elements, just like I did with the Appalachia as well.

Hadn't had much time today, but I did do some more stuff on the Budapest, mostly material/texture work.

I've changed the railing material to be the same as the walls, which is the way they were on both the Prometheus and Equinox. I feel they were getting a bit lost being darker before.

I've also added the circuitry access panels and red alert indicators at the side, which are directly based on those on the side of Voyager's bridge. Finally, I started adding in the LCARS for the aft stations. The central top panel will be an MSD, similar in position to that on the Rhode Island.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1571808085
    Lizzy777Freakashleytingerevil_genius_180
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Great stuff, your portfolio is awesome.
    Do you make all the LCARs panels yourself too? (sorry if you have already answered the question.)