Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DViper's miscellaneous Star Trek projects

• ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    edited October 2019 #182
    I streamed again, but I need to do it earlier so I can interact with viewers. If anyone wants to follow me on twitch, here's the link: https://www.twitch.tv/vipercgi/

This is what I worked on tonight. Reworked the walls a bit and added the bridge compartment. Not sure if I'll do the bridge yet. We'll see. Added a door to the conference room, finished the table and did some chairs. I'll do a planter to have some plants and whatnot in the rim of the conference room. Also need to find a way to have some monitors there.

kusanagi154.jpg
    kusanagi155.jpg
    kusanagi156.jpg
    Post edited by Viper on
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180RekkertBrandenbergP5ych0p4thwibble
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Good thing the ship has a transporter because I have no idea how they'd get that table through the door.

I like how you gave the crew enough space between the windows and the seats. You know someone would end up knocking their head sooner or later. Then WHOOPS! So much for diplomacy!
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    I'd be the civilian sitting in the conference room with shades on watching the forward torpedo launchers in combat eating popcorn. ;)

I love how that's coming together.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks sweet. I really like your chair design.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited October 2019 #186
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    Good thing the ship has a transporter because I have no idea how they'd get that table through the door.

Furniture moving in a starship. Who'd a thought. Yes thank goodness for the transporter. The wood on the table is really great.

Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Lizzy777
    edited October 2019 #187
    Rekkert wrote: »
    ...that view is amazing, the fireworks torpedoes would look spectacular from there.

Dinner and Photon Torpedos. :p

Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Well, one would hope that, if the command staff is in a meeting, nobody is firing torpedoes. :#
    I wonder what kind of wine you pair with photon torpedos... Wa, wa, waaaaa.
    Testing out some plant packs to use in the interiors :)

lg7xypxrwfgu.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180RekkertBrandenbergwibble
    Wait, that's a render? I thought you were just showing us a picture of some actual plants you were considering as a texture.
    Wait, that's a render? I thought you were just showing us a picture of some actual plants you were considering as a texture.

What? Wait... Seriously? That's a mesh?
    edited October 2019 #193

What? Wait... Seriously? That's a mesh?

Yup, that's a render :p I guess I was successful then :D
    Post edited by Viper on
    I did some more work on the conference room over the week and today. I need to go back to the exterior though or this ship is never going to be done. Here are the latest progress shots:

kusanagi160.jpg
    kusanagi161.jpg
    kusanagi162.jpg
    Lizzy777MadKoiFishevil_genius_180ashleytingerlewisnivenFreakP5ych0p4thBrandenbergMcCwibble
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    That looks phenomenal.
    Viper
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Loving those planets.
    Viper
    I don't know how you get such realistic looking plants, but I love it. The whole room is shaping up very nicely.
    Viper
    That looks phenomenal.

Uh Yeah, for sure.

Viper
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    Have to wonder how much of a hit those introduce to render time.
    Viper
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    I don't know how you get such realistic looking plants, but I love it. The whole room is shaping up very nicely.
    A few packs found on Artstation and Megascans :)
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Have to wonder how much of a hit those introduce to render time.

From far, it's basically zero. The closer you get the bigger the impact of course. The first image of my last post took 15 mins with denoiser on. I could bring that down if I switch to bucket mode though.
    You're one dedicated Arteeest. You made it sound like you bought them somewhere.
    @Brandenberg Well, that's because I did buy them, heh. I could spend a couple of weeks doing all the plants I would need, but that means less time spent on the ship itself. I have more places where I'll get to use them, so it's worth the few bucks I spent.

• srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Fantastic! (I was becoming concerned this would go dormant )
    Been a few days, but work continues. I found out recently that 3ds max does have a shrinkwrap tool which is awesome. Means I can do things without having to switch back and forth Blender. So I did the engineering section panels:

kusanagi176.jpg

Also UV mapped the catamarans. Applied a basic texture, but there's more to do here:

kusanagi177.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180MadKoiFishFreakMcCwibble
    That looks sweet. It's nice that you found Shrinkwrap in Max, that's an awesome tool. Probably my favorite Blender modifier. :)
    edited October 2019 #206
    <snip>

Ok I am guessing your using the freeform tools in the stupid ribbon. Would love to know how to do this sans that bloody ribbon thing as it is like working on a 15" lcd when that thing is open.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Was this a add on or built into max. Guessing this is something to do with getting a mesh to conform to another one. Is there some documentation you found or? Would love to find other reasons that are not negatives with max right now lol.

The native max tool is called conform. It's a compound object. I was a bit pissed about that though cause working with compound objects can be very clunky. Thankfully, there's a free plugin that adds it as a modifier: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/mcg/va-mesh-conform

One issue though is that if you modify the base model in a way that changes the vertex ids, it crashes max. So beware.
    edited October 2019 #208
    Ah I found this.

I was never able to use the default compound option in max as it always made a huge mess of things and least for me was unpredictable. This ribbon thing though ius nice, the ribbon not so. Such a waste of space.

I just gotta figure out how I would use this or the plug you linked. >_>
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    The ribbon tool is no good for me. I want to be able to adjust the conforming mesh without having to repaint to the surface. It also allows me to add a sub-d modifier before the conform and retain the original shape basically 1:1. So the modifier is the best option.
    Ah I have to give it a go and see how it works. I am guessing your making panels and them conforming them to the base ship hull?

lol some of what the video on the link shows is what I used to get unless max just right up barfs and closes.
    Yeah, that's correct. Instead of messing about with booleans and cleanup and whatnot, I just use conform. End result is much cleaner:

a8p0u83jbub4.jpg

And yes, I know that's a lot of polygons, but I want my surface to be as close as possible to G2.
    Lizzy777wibble