Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DElaan of Troyius - The Chase

evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
edited October 2019 in Finished Work #1
A little piece of artwork I did based on the classic TOS episode Elaan of Troyius. Elaan wasn’t necessarily the best episode, nor was it the worst, but it did give one of the best ships ever for Star Trek, the Klingon Battlecruiser. The ship was seen briefly as it chased the Enterprise, firing its disruptors. Thanks to a screwy airing order, the D7 wound up being first seen in The Enterprise Incident, representing a handful of Romulan ships, but in production order it first appeared in this episode. So, this is my take on the chase.

elaan_the_chase.jpg?w=1000

This is my first composition image in a long time, so be gentle. 😛
Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
Lizzy777P5ych0p4thBrandenbergWarp Propulsion Laboratory

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Rest assured, it's a great shot. I take it that the interrupted green streak is the disruptor fire from the Klingon ship?
    evil_genius_180
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited October 2019 #3
    Rest assured, it's a great shot. I take it that the interrupted green streak is the disruptor fire from the Klingon ship?

Thanks. Yeah, I was trying to show a particle trail decaying, as you sometimes see with disruptors. In fact, I think they actually did that on TOS remastered for this episode. But, I definitely remember it from the game Starfleet Command. There's actually one on the other side of the Enterprise too, but it's not very visible.

Edit: this is the one I'm thinking of:

9r7img0wjbqk.jpg

It's very similar to the effect from TOS:

ax4f4cr6twu7.jpg

I don't know why they don't do disruptors like that anymore. It really set them apart from phasers more so than the beams used in the later shows.
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Fantastic work, Chris! And excellent choice in the disrupter beams!
    evil_genius_180
    Thanks a lot, Eric. :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Really nice work mate!
    evil_genius_180
    Freak wrote: »
    Really nice work mate!

Thanks bro. :)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I kinda forgot that the disruptor fire came from the engines and not from that central hole in the forward bridge structure. Or was that a different weapon?
    evil_genius_180
    edited October 2019 #9
    I kinda forgot that the disruptor fire came from the engines and not from that central hole in the forward bridge structure. Or was that a different weapon?

You mean the navigational deflector? :p They launched photon torpedoes from it starting in TMP. The disruptors came from the engine area. They even did that with the K't'inga in TNG. They did have a red beam come from the deflector/photon area in DS9, in The Way of the Warrior.

lzglltoeauh5.jpg

Though, as far as I know, that was the only instance of that. Given the age of the class at the time, those might have been retrofitted for the war against Cardassia and the Dominion. That or the VFX people were just doing some weird stuff, like when they had the phaser coming from the Saratoga's planetary sensor array in the pilot episode, Emissary.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The VFX did some weird stuff with weapons in that Episode.
    If you look at the Station weapons, you can clearly see phaser strips firing torpedoes in one shot and phaser in the next and swapping around to due to reusing the VFX shot. (I think they thought the torpedoes where energy base weapons like the Phaser and not something physical.)

I once raised the issue with Doug Drexler and after a little augment over it (I was super hardcore fan back then. LOL) he told me that they where rushed to get the FX done, so they had the weapons fire both Phaser and torpedoes.
    Yeah, but Klingons don't fire red beams, so it could be a different kind of weapon. Maybe an antiproton beam.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Hrr my post didnt take lastnight. Anyhow thise ds9 things is too many hands in one pot.
    A lot of trek is like this as some of the vfx ppl are not in contact with the production staff or the design team etc. Also i forget if the klingons reverted during the war but i think it was mentioned they had started using fed weapons systems eg torps and phasers in tng.
    evil_genius_180
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    They had a lot of cross development, that's why the Vor'Cha was designed with some Fed influences, such as the bussards, etc. and it had a more gray-ish paint scheme. However, the red beams in that episode don't resemble Federation phasers either. Maybe some kind of hybrid weapon. That or, knowing the Klingons, maybe just more powerful phasers. ;)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    yeah likely but most likely is red denotes the klingons vs others. Even fed weapons vary in colour so eh. Id stick to era specific colors and looks. I really need to go find a clip of those shots from tos to see the original sfx. Forget how they looked in motion.

Heck you probably have to accept that the ships that kitinga represent asr just stand ins for the "real" ship as a cost cutting sfx measure. Then again could argue klingons are so stuck in tradition that they would just keep building new ships with the same looks.
    Either way lol.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    The K't'inga wound up in a lot of places it shouldn't have been.