Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I just love this model - what can I say.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Render from lastnight that I was unwilling to wait for.
    tsukuru-nx-0701.jpg
    hopefully it shows how it links up and how shapes relate.
    PhilArtRekkertLizzy777evil_genius_180BrandenbergFreak
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I think the new nacelle shape matches the flow of the rest of the model better than the previous ones did.
    Not a massive amount done but got something in for the guts and well, light just does not get in there. DERP.
    A few renders and a few large screen caps and a wireframe for the heck of it.

tsukuru-nx-0702.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0703.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0704.png
    tsukuru-nx-0705.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0706.jpg
    So I dunno what I will do with that central bit.

evil_genius_180Lizzy777BrandenbergChiefBrexFreak
  • ora tzoora tzo68 Posts: 17Member
    edited September 2019 #1206
    Maybe you could have some lights shining down from the top half in that middle nacelle space, or perhaps just detail just the bottom floor of the middle space.
    Post edited by ora tzo on
    It looks great. I know you'll think of something for it.
    Yeah, thinking some ridiculous glowy crap might be called for. >_>
    evil_genius_180Loophole
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Yeah, thinking some ridiculous glowy crap might be called for. >_>

Sometimes, it's the best way to go. Plus, you always do such nice glowy crap. :)
    Loophole
    I love those last two renders. I wonder what it would look like to have a translucent field extending from the bottom of the top half of the nacelle to the top of the bottom half of the nacelle. You know. Part of the warp bubble effect appears within the engines.
    Not a huge massive change been busy with other things as well as not so sure where I want to go with things.

mostly rounding off bits and tuning bits and parts. I also stuffed the bussard cage from the old ones. I think I will complicate the LUM elements int he bussard more than what I have right now.
    tsukuru-nx-0711.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0712.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777BrandenbergChiefBrexFreak
    That looks really good. I like the details so far.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    On its own, it looks a bit like a techie styled crab claw.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    That Bussard collector is really nice so I can't wait to see what you do to it.
    81jEEbIO6EL._SL1500_.jpg

Adding more stuff and going through and cleaning up angles etc.
    tsukuru-nx-0713.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0714.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180ChiefBrexRekkert
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    She´s a beauty! Would be cool to see her as a guest star in Picard show. :)
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I was just thinking, you could go a little 'old school' with the dark grey zig zag and do grilles kind of like the Refit Enterprise.
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    Looks great!!!! I'm still amazed at the level of detail on this thing.

Still no idea what KIM means, other than a girl named Kimberly....
    ChiefBrex wrote: »

Keep in mind.
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    ChiefBrex wrote: »

Keep in mind.

I feel stupid T_T
    edited September 2019 #1221
    wot your name isn't Kim after all?

Kim is a boys name too, as well as a lastname. poor, poor, Harry no one remembers you!

BTW (by the way) I use EG a lot too ergo, heh There is another I use improperly but I cannot remember it atm (at the moment) as I have been weening myself from using it.
    Anyhow got updates but I have to open the files and process them and upload. Nothing big really just a mess of fooling around with guts and the material of the domes as I was getting too much glow in the glass bits. I also wanted to get it so if I "turn off" the guts it would look more like the studio models. Issue is their lights were mostly post of the ship turned on in the dark as a light pass so it is not really reproduce-able without artifacts such as too much light, odd gloss colours etc.
    After all this I had put this to rest for a while as well as doing anything 3d for now as I have some hdw stuff and other things that need attention.

screw it processed them to jpgs, first set it the attempts to mess with the dome material without resorting to multi layered objects.
    tsukuru-nx-0716.jpg
    off
    tsukuru-nx-0717.jpg
    on So so but ehh.
    Rest are messing with internals as mentioned I think in a earlier post. Wanted more than glowing cones in there. Some of it is working others just fail and are nonsensical noise.
    tsukuru-nx-0721.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0722.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0723.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0724.jpg
    could probably blunt the dome of the bussard grill more as that space really has nothing in it anymore.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    FreakashleytingerLizzy777Brandenberg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Really like that last render and the internal one.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Kim is a boys name too, as well as a lastname. poor, poor, Harry no one remembers you!
    Even by Starfleet Harry was not loved. Seven years on Voyager and not once was he promoted, even after Voyager made contact with Starfleet they did not promote him.

It would have been funny if he was still an Ensign in future parts of Voyager last Episode Endgame.

Last render is a fairly transparent tinted glass. Just a slight matting of the gloss of the material in an attempt to get the internals more defined. It is where I got fed up and put it away as the render times were driving me nuts. Even with cheats. I might have to clear the scene file and wipe out a lot of stuff maybe even clearing the materials out and starting over.

VOY failed a lot at revealing how small that ship was. Pretty much after the 5th year everyone would have made at least Lieutenant. But yeah Harry was in a officers position on the ship so even with little mobility a rank change would be called for after a few years. Hell I dunno if a ensign could maintain a officers position to begin with. I sorta gave up attempting to understand ranks in trek.
    edited September 2019 #1224
    Harry Kim had some good moments, but overall he was a tool. Though, as someone who has seen officers who have come out of Military academies, I have to say his early behavior overall, particularly that know it all attitude that he had, was typical of recently graduated officers. The problem is, he didn't become much more likeable as the series went along. It's my personal opinion that the best characters on the show were Seven of Nine, Torres, Paris, Chakotay and Tuvok. Janeway had her moments too, but she was very inconsistent and got shrill at times, and Neelix was just flat out annoying. Kes was forgettable.

Anyway, back on topic. The bussards are looking sweet to me. :)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Voy for me was a lot of lost chances or incomplete intentions. It was clear they had motives for positioning the characters like they did but seemed to loose the direction originally intended.
    I think they just tried too much at once. They were fresh off of TNG and moving into movie territory, while DS9 was still finding its footing. But, while DS9 got better as it went in its first few seasons and then maintained a high standard in the later seasons, Voy never really found its footing, as you said. Then it got really bad in its final few seasons. There were some good episodes, but they were fewer and farther between.
    Love the engine. It's getting better and better.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I didn't really appreciate until I binged Voyager just how much Seven changes over her time on the show, and how funny she was. I had remembered a few good glib lines, but when you put it all together, she was a funny character. Hopefully that wit will show up in "Picard."

I took notes when I was binging Voyager and DS9 and all these other shows over the last few years... I want to do my own show in that vein (and the Orville shows you apparently CAN just do your own Star Trek show), and I was finding all these unexplored areas from Voyager that could be fun (a support group for people cut off from their families, abandoned decks, etc). I thought we should have seen Chakotay be a total swashbuckler before joining the crew, forget his shuttle looking ship, he should have had a bird of prey. Neelix could have been more mysterious, like there are chapters of his life we don't know about.

...but I actually don't know what I would do with Harry Kim. He was all set to rise through the ranks, and they (smartly) put him in a situation where that wasn't going to happen. How does he adjust? I feel like he'd have gained a lot from Paris, the ocean episode should have been HIS, he should have given up his rank to save that floating ocean instead of Tom. He should have had a crisis of faith, what am I even doing here? etc...

The reason so many episodes seemed to revolve around Seven and The Doctor is that they could CHANGE themselves, the Doctor would add new subroutines and jump into the deep end with them, Seven would come up with some big project or have to cope with some new situation... but no one else. No one else had to grow like that, and they were in a situation that should be challenging them CONSTANTLY.

Anyway, the ship: still love it, the nacelles are looking real nice.
    While I wait and hope a 2016/7 license is found I am fooling with a 2019 version. To which rendering there is NOTHING remaining of what max was. So it means a total flushing of all materials set ups and the whole surfacing and other details in max and a return to things like specular etc.

you can really tell max is being aimed at architectural vis and beauty shots vs any game film/tv gci. I dunno who you would do photo-metric or arnold lights on a 500m ship in space,when everything else

And yeah the torp lights are too strong, it isnt bad but not great for a hour.
    2019-arnold-004.jpg

I do not hold out much hope at all for Picard. It is still coming from the same source that put windows on the command decks of starships.
    edited September 2019 #1230
    Ok got max 2017 here with a license, bonus he gave me the 2019. Rather did not want to bother with it. So I can continue to play with arnold even though from what I read I can load it in 2017. What is cool is all the scripts I used to run have UI hooks in the app now like those fing ugly floaty menus have a checkbox to turn them off for regular menus. Largest drawback, no render optimizer so I have to go learn where those bits of code are and initalize em and figure out how to get them to auto load. RO only goes up to v5 so max 2016. (only had the offer of 17 and 19)

Still some funny things going on like the old OpenGL spinner watch like thing on selecting objects. And there seems to be some enforced AA going on in viewports. EXP with wires. Ambient light is different too. Higher contrast with the scene. So I will likely re reig things as those blacked out areas are a pain but not as horrible as a model that is all WHITE like with the Arnold set ups. I do have to admit though no training/learning just 2 tuts and the above is quite decent. Just not seeing cheats in the roll outs to speed it up. Cannot imagine what a 4m poly model would do to those times or 8k renders!

Oh yea 2017 is strange Iray and mental ray I had to install separately. Weird. Dunno i thought they had moved to vray at some point but I have to look at iray and what not.

Oh cool things chamfer tool has some cool add ons making rounding things easier such as controlling the curve of it as well as AUTOSMOOTHING!!!! OH MAN that alone will save hours. Then add in photoshop like layers where I can now have FOLDERS in FOLDERS. So no more huge list to click on. They do have multiple ways ot seeing layers though, which is never a good thing.

Here are some caps to compare. same scene same set ups. Same gamma etc.
    diff-001.jpg

As you can see it has some sort of ENFORCED progressive AA. The incremental quality thing is turned off. Also with wireframes they AA when the wire is less than a pixel wide. So you get some strange dof feels. >o<

Post edited by MadKoiFish on
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    For space stuff you'll want to use the Sun light system as your main source light. Remove sky and use direct color instead of atmospheric filtering. Arnold is used by all the big VFX companies, so it's more than capable ;)