Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Everything looks great, especially the pillow and blanket. No matter what you say, cloth simulation can't be that easy.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Oh, but it is that easy. All you need to do is set up a plane above the bed, subdivide it a bunch of times (I also randomly moved some vertices around so that it doesn't look super clean, easily done via select->random in 'edit' mode) and on the physics tab set it up as a 'cloth'.

Then on the same tab, set the mattress underneath as a collider, and hit 'play' on the timeline. The plane will fall, and as its colliding with the object below it, it'll react realistically as a blanket (tweak the cloth settings if needed). Once it looks good to you, stop the timeline, and apply its cloth modifier, then I also apply a solidify modifier to give it thickness, and a subdivision one to make it smoother.

This video showcases pretty much all that in the first three minutes.

t3miwi56ogol.png

I've added some more details all over, specifically the internal windows that look to the corridor, and more small items for set dressing.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-09.jpg?1568879863
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-10.jpg?1568879869
    evil_genius_180ChiefBrexLizzy777Brandenberg
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Cool, thanks for the explanation. I'll have to try that sometime.

The latest updates on the quarters look great too.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Neat. Kind of how they did dForce in DAZ. very cool
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    These quarters are astounding. They could fit aboard the Enterprise-E easily!
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

I've modeled the dining table and chairs, plus toyed around with a procedural nebula for a background (using this node setup from BlendSwap), to illuminate the room a bit more dynamically. No idea if this'll stay for the final renders as its not up to me, but I thought it looked more interesting.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-11a.jpg?1568940696
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-06c.jpg?1568940690
    evil_genius_180MadKoiFishFreakashleytingerLizzy777BrandenbergWarp Propulsion Laboratory
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @ChiefBrex: Thanks! The Y split on the railing is based on the similar design on the Enterprise-E consoles, though it was also seen on the USS Dauntless on Bridge Commander, which I'm sure you're familiar with given your nickname. ;) Do you have a link to this bridge design of yours? :)

@BlueNeumann: Thank you! :) Do you mind if I ask what ship you were reading about?

I've added in the aft alcoves, which are re-purposed versions of the port-forward TNG bridge alcove, with the alert status indicators removed, and with the Ent-E style fabric on the walls. I've also worked on the LCARS, adding in the Nebula graphics on the remaining consoles, including the MSD.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-05.jpg?1567661424
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1567661427

I would click like multiple times if I could, but damn that colour scheme looks good as well as those side stations.
    RekkertBrandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • I14R10I14R1070 Posts: 140Member
    Rekkert, just how much time do you spend on those displays? They look fantastic. Are they mostly copied from last model? In what software do you make them?
    Rekkert
    Man, I keep staring at that Zephyr bridge. The design, the colors, the lights, the stations, the details, everything just works for me. :)
    Rekkert
    @MadKoiFish: Thanks, glad you like those! :)

@I14R10: Thanks! I spent a lot of time on those early on when doing interiors, so that now I don't have to spend all that time worrying about them. :) On the case of the Zephyr, yes they're mostly copied from the already existing Challenger and Galaxy bridges, though obviously modified to display a Nebula-Class ship, and with color differences.

It varies wildly from room to room, but if I have to do stuff from scratch, then it can take a week or two to create. That doesn't happen much now, as I'm at a point where I can reuse and modify existing LCARS for pretty much anything and save a lot of time, though of course new starship silhouettes and graphics that are specific to certain rooms (for example, a shuttle deployment graphic for a shuttlebay) would still need to be done mostly from 0.

I usually leave LCARS creation for the last step in my projects, as I can do it in a day or two (if I can work properly). As for software, it's all done in Inkscape.

I added a round rug with the UFP logo to the center of the room, plus a replicator unit on top of the dining table. I came up with the idea for its placement as there's not really anywhere else to put it, and being the 2390's I'd imagine replicator units would now be small and portable enough that they could be placed pretty much anywhere. The two black bits on the outside of the unit will have small LCARS added to them later.

Plus, thanks to some photos and measurements of the real prop I got from a TrekBBS user, I overhauled the lounge chairs that go right by the rug. Turns out my previous model was way too big, now they're a lot more accurate, and there's more walking space around them.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-14.jpg?1569232345
    ashleytingerP5ych0p4thevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBrandenberg
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    That's not a bad idea having the replicator unit at the table itself. I had some ideas earlier about food replicators being on food counters. Though there should a PADD or control area near it.
    I've done some more refining and tweaking all over, including some more work on random props and such. I also UV mapped the screens and LCARS surfaces, and started adding in some of the graphics on said surfaces.

I've also done the desk chair. I was originally gonna do the Pasteur ready room/Endgame Starfleet Command style of chair, as those are both in the 2390's, but I simply couldn't find any reference of what the bottom or even the armrests look like, I've been looking for several days now and had no luck. So in the end I went with this design, even though there's also quite a lack of references about how it looks from the back, the best I could find was from Voyager's 'Vis a Vis'.

The monitor on the desk was likewise not my original design intent. I went for the 'Endgame' monitor seen in the screenshot I linked to above, but I simply didn't like how it looked. The glass panel got lost with the background and was hard to read in such a dark environment. So, I created several iterations of original designs based on the Nemesis terminals, finally settling on this one. The pattern at the back was taken from another desktop display, from Insurrection.

Finally, I've also added glass transparent aluminum to the windows. Besides the reflections, this has the added benefit of refracting light from the nebula more realistically as it passes through the glass when entering the room, resulting in an overall better lit environment.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-15.jpg?1569323278
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-16.jpg?1569323284
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-17.jpg?1569323290
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerJMP11Lizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    Everything looks great. I like that style of chair.
    Rekkert
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    The room looks great, I love the Norway class model on the desk.
    Rekkert
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Loving these interties.
    Rekkert
    I'm glad you're all liking the progress here. :)

I've been focusing on the bedroom today, adding in a door for the bathroom, a drawer (based on the one seen on Voyager, but using the Nemesis color pallet), and a bed for the Captain's dog, Odin. Plus, the first of many plants.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-18.jpg?1569405352
    evil_genius_180P5ych0p4thLizzy777BrandenbergashleytingerFreak
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    You ARE the master. Two thumbs up.
    Rekkert
    Haha, I'm far from being a master, but the sentiment is appreciated.

I've finished a new "reading chair" model as the final piece of furniture that was missing. There's still more stuff to model, but nothing big. In the end, thanks in large part to Blender 2.8's Weighted Normals modifier, I'm starting to be fairly quick in modeling chairs and other soft body objects now. That doesn't mean I like it...

Also, some LCARS bits and pieces were finished.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-20.jpg?1569472268
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-19.jpg?1569472262
    FreakLizzy777Brandenberg
    I like that reading chair.
    It's a cool looking chair, though IDK if my scoliosis would like it.

Added more random props, more plants, and some dog toys. Unless my client wants me to change or add something else, I'd call it done.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-21.jpg?1569574332
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-22.jpg?1569574338
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-23.jpg?1569574344
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-24.jpg?1569574351
    P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180ora tzoFreakJMP11mdtaLizzy777Brandenberg
    It looks great, nicely decorated.
    It looks great, nicely decorated.

agreed
    edited September 2019 #2274
    Thanks folks, took a while to model all those decorations, haha.

After getting approval, the quarters are confirmed complete. Here are some final renders. I had to crank up the samples per render up considerably more than my usual for finished images, given the the dark spots on this room were wrecking havoc on the denoiser.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1569699956
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1569699584
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1569699590
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1569699596
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1569699602
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1569699530
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1569699536
    tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1569699542
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-astraeus-captain-s-quarters-cutaway.jpg?1569793859
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    Brandenbergevil_genius_180Lizzy777Freakashleytinger
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Seriously, I want to live there. Seriously. Make it so.
    That looks fantastic. All those extra decorations were worth the time. I keep looking and seeing stuff I didn't notice before. :)
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I had to crank up the samples per render up considerably more than my usual for finished images, given the the dark spots on this room were wrecking havoc on the denoiser.

I figured you had to use a denoiser, thanks for confirming that. :)
    @Brandenberg: Hahaha, same here.

@evil_genius_180: Yes, I use the default Blender denoiser on all my renders since it was added for 2.79. :)
    evil_genius_180
    Took some time off as I needed to clear my head somewhat and dedicate time to more important things. As mentioned before I've been planning to move out into my own place with my partner later this year, but unfortunately some mental health problems that had been kept under control resurfaced again, so that whole plan kinda came crushing down for the time being.

Anyway, just yesterday I've been able to open up Blender again, but I couldn't get to work on anything of the stuff that I need to do... I've been "playing" RPG-X lately (aka, wondering around starships build on the old Quake III engine), and finally I got some inspiration to do something.

Yesterday I started heavily modified my existing Constellation bridge, adding elements of the Prometheus bridge, and a floor layout inspired on some interiors from RPG-X, and the color pallet of the Ent-E. I intended this to be for the USS Thunderchild (I want to create bridges for the entire First Contact fleet whenever I have the time/creativity to do so), but in the end I wasn't sure it was the right tone for the class, plus I didn't quite know what to do with the aft section...

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2019-10-18-22-14-13.jpg?1571450284

Anyway, from the ashes of that experiment (which I still have, I might revisit it later), I decided to do a smaller bridge with these parts. The layout is rather similar to the USS Grissom, so it might be a good fit for the Nova, but I decided to go for the Saber-Class USS Yeager, in keeping with the First Contact motif.

It's still not finished, as you can see the LCARS are a mix of different styles as I grabbed the consoles from other bridges. I tried doing a holographic viewscreen, but I couldn't make it look good, so I went with a classic style one. The MSD was born because likewise I didn't know what else to put on that aft screen to break things up, instead of just more consoles or more doors. It's a glass panel bolted onto the horizontal metal bars going through the wall, very much like the starship graphics we see in the Starfleet Command replica from 'In The Flesh'. Once I finish it's graphic (heavily inspired by the Saber MSD designed by Alexander Richardson) I'll post some closeups of it.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-06.jpg?1571450462
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1571450466
    ashleytingerMadKoiFishevil_genius_180Lizzy777Freakslybrarian
    edited October 2019 #2279
    Those both look great so far. I especially like the compact Saber bridge.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I absolutely love that last render... I love the color scheme you used here, too.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I LOVE this! It's so cozy.