Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DScirocco Class Fast Attack Frigate and Okuda Class Destroyer Variant

sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
edited February 2020 in Work in Progress #1
Ortho of both ships, the Okuda is top, the Scirocco is below.

kiri-hunter-prowl1.jpg?1580078579

Post edited by Guerrilla on
RekkertrojrenLizzy777tricky2k
Tagged:

• sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Dorsal detail of the Okuda

n6p9t56q8al5.png
    rojrenLizzy777
    Bow of the Okudaca8t3jku5v11.png
    rojrenLizzy777MadKoiFishGuerrilla
    Typical Corridor, both variants.

r8pwzd7f7pji.png
    Lizzy777
    Officer's/VIP Observation Lounge both variants.

t50nkziawmrb.png
    GuerrillaLizzy777
    Okuda in orbit..qfi26vgj1dsa.png
    Lizzy777
    Scirocco in normal spacek47ayws29x1n.png
    Lizzy777
    Scirocco in SQC Flightq5cf3x65c3ry.png
    Lizzy777
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Nice! Welcome back. Are you still using SketchUp?
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    Guerrilla wrote: »

HI! Yep...learning anything else was just frustrating. I have Max but it baffles me. I've just mastered sketchup, with the help of plugins and some work-arounds with large models I've been able to get the details out of it that I struggled with before.

I'm rendering in both Kerkythea and Thea Render and doing minor post work in Gimp 2.0
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Oh wow. Very nice work!
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Great work! It's good to see you back!
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Welcome back :) Lovely work here. Nice to see some original designs. All these people making Star Trek stuff :#
    Thanks all!, yeah there's plenty of "tubes & saucers" around...no need to add to the infinity fleet...
  • tricky2ktricky2k7 Posts: 9Member
    HI! Yep...
    Wait... WHAT!?!

tricky2k wrote: »
    HI! Yep...
    Wait... WHAT!?!

Yep. All my work is modeled entirely in Sketchup. I've been using it for over a decade. It's a very underestimated platform.
  • tricky2ktricky2k7 Posts: 9Member
    tricky2k wrote: »
    HI! Yep...
    Wait... WHAT!?!

Yep. All my work is modeled entirely in Sketchup. I've been using it for over a decade. It's a very underestimated platform.

I definitely suck soooo much at sketchup =) =) biiiiiiiig time. I get so frustrated sometimes that I was even thinking about swapping to another software. So thank you, thank you for showing this

edited March 2019 #18
    Like any platform Sketchup requires a very through knowledge of it's subtleties to model hi level detail or complex designs. A lot of SU modelers aren't modeling cleanly or correctly in the platform which causes substantial challenges for good looking renders and model performance. I do also think it's vastly easier to master and even more flexible than a "Max" based platform like Max itself or...and I hate even typing the name...blender.

Now the thing those platforms do vastly better is allow for workflow fluidity with very hi-poly modeling and they also import/export to an from animation and hi-end render engines much better. That's why they are the choice of the professional modeler. However, it's getting easier and easier to get .skp files imported into those platforms to create animated and or still rendered works will equally professional results. For ships, equipment, vehicles and technical interiors I don't think there is a better platform out there then sketchup due to it's ease of use, unique "rendered modeling window". A huge advantage with SU is that one does not need to execute UV unwrapping for texture work. Textures can be applied automatically and/or manually mapped directly in Sketchup with the help of some clever plugins and a little experience.

If you use "componenting" and "grouping" correctly you can make super hi poly models in sketchup but you have to know how to employ secondary workspaces. You basicly can't work in your main model workspace once your poly count gets much beyond 500k (about 150,000 faces).

You can only model 1/2 of a ship. You have to work with cloning and various sections of the left or right sides broken down into groups so you can layer all those groups and hide the one's you aren't using or working on.

The rest is just your inherent design/artistic talent.
    Post edited by sorceress21 on
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Welcome Back! Great looking stuff.
    Like any platform Sketchup requires a very through knowledge of it's subtleties to model hi level detail or complex designs...

Agree with your assessment completely, I have tried a number of other platforms and struggled, keep going back to SU. The one thing I do not like with Sketchup is the lack of a good built-in UV system, what have you found to work?

Also, have you tried DAZ3D and IRay for renders? It seems to work well for me, with the bonus of putting characters in scenes.

Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    edited March 2019 #20
    SketchUV works quite well actually. Now you do have to use it correctly and it's easy to not do that. I had to play around with it on experimental surfaces until I really understood how it worked. Also, if your mesh has errors your map will have errors. But it's vastly easier to use than any UV unwrapper I've tried.
    edited April 2019 #21
    7j7s31401tur.png

Small update, work has been taking all my time lately...

I added the EECS booms to the con viewport area, some Acceleration Compensators to protect the Primary Forward Sensor Array. A pressurized service hatch for the Docking Buffer Compartment and the Ship's Awards Badges and the EVA Coms Array.
    ashleytingerrojrenLizzy777tricky2kBrandenberg
    I keep refining the design..can't seem to put a fork in it....

3jwcqk0a8qfl.png

Lizzy777rojrenashleytingerViperevil_genius_180McCBrandenberg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looking Good!
    Thanks! At some point the details just have to stop...LOL. It's a sickness really...every single structure on the ship actually has a function...I probably need therapy...at least I can chat with Mk in the waiting room...
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Awesome glad you are still going with this one!
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    WOW!! I must have missed this the first time around. These are absolutely beautiful. I always thought Sketch Up was a toy for kids, but you have shown it is no toy!
    edited September 2019 #27
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    WOW!! I must have missed this the first time around. These are absolutely beautiful. I always thought Sketch Up was a toy for kids, but you have shown it is no toy!

Thank you!! This model has been evolving for a long while now..I'm very close to being totally done with the exterior.

Sketchup is a far more powerful modeling platform than reputed and that's really what it's all about..Reputation. Because it's rarely used for film and TV production it's simply overlooked. I have 3DS Max but find the modeling work flow is far more "technical" than SketchupPro and I've honestly given up trying to learn it...without a class to understand the software and all the terminology and back end function it would take me years to self teach the application to be able to produce the same quality of work I'm already making on an open GL platform.. A lot of the things I can do in SU I do in real time directly on the mesh with a wide range of scultpting tools both native and plugin, whereas with Max some things require a "setup" before it can be executed vs. just cutting right into the model.

Texturing in SU is far easier then in MAX as well..I don't have to create "shaders" and I can literally draw markings directly onto the mesh using vertex lines to divide the material. I have a good UV mapping plugin and one thing you don't have to do with SU is UV unwrap a mesh just to skin it though if that's your preferred technique there is a plugin app that does that quite well.

One day I do want to learn a pro-application and be able to animate and elevate my work to studio compatible standard but for now this is a hobby and I don't have time to take a class on Max.
    P5ych0p4th
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That render is gorgeous. The whole ship looks amazing, you've really done fantastic work on it.
    That render is gorgeous. The whole ship looks amazing, you've really done fantastic work on it.

Thank you!!!
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited September 2019 #30

I heartily agree. A nice design. Sketchup - Who knew such great stuff could be done with it? Take off the first letter and it also goes great on hot dogs. :)
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    I've done a lot of work on the interior mesh...added details and tweaked the textures...

ejsbaigive0e.png
    Viperashleytingerevil_genius_180rojrenLizzy777StarriggerFreakBrandenberg