Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Trek News and Rumours

• LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    The new trailer is out and it looks great, Data, 7 of 9 and even Hugh The Borg are in it. I was glad to see 7 as that means we should be seeing characters from TNG, VOY and DS9, I'm not sure anyone from Enterprise or TOS would still be alive. They also showed a Borg ship.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    LeVar Burton wants to come back as Geordi, he's quite publicly said so.

Just looking at certain things like Data's eyes and Seven's implants, you can tell this is being made more cheaply. Some of the props look like they're from fan films. But, that's OK as long as the story is good. It was nice to see some actual filmed footage and effects, rather than the tidbits of nothing we've seen so far.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    edited July 2019 #34
    I heard the Seven scenes are part of the reshoots that are going on.
    I think the issue with Seven's Implant is that CBS sold the original and maybe the moulds as well, so they could not use them. If the rumour of Seven being add as part of the reshoot are true, they did not have the time make proper ones that look good so did a quick job which is why they look cheap.

One good thing to come from this, it look like the whole Romulan storyline will not be playing a major role in this. (Might not even be mentioned.) Though there are a good few Romulans in the Trailer.

Look like the show has been pushed back to a early 2020 realise date.

Looking at that trailer, is it B4 reborn as Data or Data himself, as we saw a Soong type android in a draw.
    It could be Lore and I find it hard to believe that it Data as he was standing at the epicentre of the exploration on the Scimitar. So he should have been vaporised and not have whats left of his body recovered.
    Even if they did manage to recover Data body why was there no attmepts to repair him to that point?

I also just saw this pop up on my phone.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/brent-spiner-jeri-ryan-jonathan-frakes-return-star-trek-picard-sdcc-hall-h
    So it look like Frakes & Sirtis are returning. Don't be surprised if the other TNG cast turn up with the exception of Michael Dorn, he has stated that he hates the Klingon makeup for STD and would never come back if he had to ware that. Even if they did bring Dorn back and kept his original look it would cause issue as they would need to explain why he look different to the other Klingons. (STD Klingons has been seen on the sets of Picard.)
    Post edited by Freak on
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Here's a slightly less region locked (ugh! In 2019!? :unamused:) trailer:

Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    Yeah, region locking is stupid, especially since you'd think CBS would want this trailer to go as far and wide as possible.

It's still going to be a hard sell to get Americans to subscribe to CBSAA. I tried it when Discovery was first on and it was a crap service. It wouldn't come back correctly from commercials on the PS4 app and the phone app used 3-4 times as much mobile data to stream a show as Hulu and Netflix. If we could watch it on Prime over here, I'd sign back up. That's a decent streaming service. But, you want the people who can watch it on Prime to know about it, so why region lock the trailer?
    Why region lock in this day and age. Plus this is going to be shown international anyway, so there is no point.

Anyway it look like the CBS Viacom Merger could be happening in only a few week time.
    Could this be a good thing for Trek? Only time will tell.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/19/cbs-viacom-merger-announcement-expected-soon-star-trek-re-unification-cited-as-factor/
    So I was watching the latest ROBSERVATIONS Live Chat with Robert Meyer Burnett.
    He has raised an interesting question. Who is the real creator behind the Picard series?
    Why does he ask this you say, well while he was watching the latest trailer for Picard. It look very familiar to story Pitched for a new Trek show that would be based around Data and Seven of Nine, which has also been registered with the Writers Guild of America.

Where did this story pitch come from, none other than Bryan Fuller.
    So back when Fuller was approached by CBS to create a new Trek show, he pitch five ideas. One of which would go on to be a bastedised version of his original pitch call Discovery.

This other pitch was based post Nemesis. Data is now a Captain and has command of his own ship. He finds out that the Romulan star has become unstable and will go explode in a very short time. He goes to Starfleet who put together a fleet of ships to evacuate the system before the star blows. However time is running short and they don't have enough ships. Data makes decision and contact Seven of Nine who has links to former Brog that have returned to the Alpha Quadrant when the Borg was destroyed (Voyager last episode Endgame?). They being their Borg Cube ships and start using their Planet Assimilation Technology to get everyone of the planet in time, just before the star explosion reaches Romulas and Remus. The Roumlans and Remons recued by the former Brog start to suffer from PSD and other issues due to Assimilation Technology to get them off the planet. Due this this the former Borg and start to be attacked where ever they go and Data tried to defend them.

Starfleet is not happy with Data and the decision he made, court marshal him, Believe that due to his experience with the Borg (During First Contact) he cares more for the Brog than biological life forms.

Picard is brought in to Defend Data but due to his time as being Loctus he is conflicted.

RMB stated that while Fuller was coming up with this pitch he was in talks with Jeri Ryan and Brent Spiner about it.
    He also say what was shown in the trailer is different from Fuller pitch but a lot of the Brog elements seen in it is picked right out of Fuller pitch. He even called Fuller after seeing the Trailer to confirm he was right.

Does this mean that Picard is a bastedised version of Fuller pitch, well it to early to tell it only a trailer and until we see the final produce there is no way to tell. But Given Kurtzman history I would not be surprised if this turns out to be true.
    edited August 2019 #39
    So Star Trek Las Vegas has ended and there was not one major announcement.
    Looks like CBS made all the big announcements at San Diego Comic Con and Producer ball a Week before.

I think that is slap in the fandom face right there. STLA is the biggest Trek Convection in the US and people pay thousands of Dollars/ Chose a currency, to come from around the world to go to it. Yet CBS had no special News for them, which is a joke.
    Now if I had paid that sort money I would not have been happy as SDCC is far cheaper than STLV, and that including flight, hotel and getting into the Convection.

So for those that missed the SDCC announcements here they are.

1. We got the Picard trailer
    2. News and screen shoots on Lower Decks.
    3. More news on the Trek Shorts.
    4. And this is a big one, we are getting the Director Edition Star Trek The Motion Picture in the cinema in December (in the US Only) for the 40 anniversary, which will be followed up it being realised on Bluray in 4K.

What they could have given to those that attended STLA.

1. More footage/ Information on the Picard Series
    2. Actual footage of Lower Decks
    3. Shown the frit episode of the Trek Short (I understand that has now wrapped and ready to be shipped out.)
    4. Instead of making the ST:TMP DE at SDCC made it here. (after these are the people that are more likely to go a see it and buy it.)

But that not all, during STLA, CBS made a new Announcement but not at the Con.
    Alex Kurtzman will be directing, writing and executive producing a new TV show based on the cult classic David Bowie film "The Man Who Fell to Earth."
    You can read the article here.

With that announcement it looks like the rumours of Kurtzman being pulled of Star Trek are true.
    If they are not how has he got the time to oversee all of Star Trek and it future project work on this his other obligations to CBS (Hawaii Five-0), Far Rockaway and the numerous Universal Dark Universe Movies that are still showing on his IMDB page and now this? Even if you remove the Universal movies its just too much for one person to do.
    You don't see Kevin Feige working on anything out side of Marvel. The MCU has his full attention and if Kurtzman is still in charge of overseeing Star Trek it should be the same for him.
    Post edited by Freak on
    furswift wrote: »

Sad news indeed. I always enjoyed Nog, particularly his cool story arc from being arrested for theft in the pilot to being a Starfleet Officer. Aaron really played the role perfectly, too. No matter what was going on in Nog's life, he seemed to really throw himself into the role and he conveyed the perfect emotions. Also, it seems like he was a nice guy too, since many of his friends and costars posted those nice messages about him.
    Such sad news, Nog was one of the best reoccurring characters on the show.
    Like Chris said, had a great characters arc.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.
    So this weekend we got two new Trailer. One for Star Trek: Picard and the other for Discovery.
    We also got a date for Picard, which is the 24 January, no date as yet for Discovery.

Here is the Picard Trailer.

Looks interesting but I an still not 100% sold on it. Also why is the Ship Picard on in a battle with the Romulan BOP from TOS, it should be no match as that ship is over a 100 years old.
    As for Data why have they made him so fat faces. Spiner not that fat in the face? Data just does not look right and given how they can do de-aging these days this is just pure wrong.

Anyway here is the trailer for Discovery. (It not a great copy as I am outside of the States I can't find a decent one without reactions.)

Looking at this it looks like Kurtzman is ripping off Bryan Singer & Robert Meyer Burnett Star Trek Pitch show called Federation which can be found on the net.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Federation

• P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    I don‘t really want to criticize the Data Make-up/Effects because I think, that a lot of work by many talented people went into this. But yeah. It does not look right. The whole show to be honest. It sure is nice, to see John Frakes acting again but that scene in the trailer does nothing for me. But those are things that need to be earned and that‘s what the episodes are for. I‘m at least curious enough to watch it, since I‘m a prime customer anyway.

As for discovery ... I am so done with that show. I just can‘t get myself to care about any of this anymore. Maybe if it has great reviews I‘ll watch an episode or two but probably not.

It is a shame. Aside from Burnam I like all of the characters and the effects are great and could work for Star Trek. But those terrible terrible stories. Especially what seems to be the new one: why did we take 50 Years to build the franchise up as an optimistic take on the Future (with it‘s occasional dark chapters) when everything will be gone in the future. There‘s plenty of dark sci-fi out there. There‘s no real need for another one.

And I said it in the first season with the war arc: if you can‘t do it better than DS9, don‘t do it at all. Be original instead.

Man ... that was one angry fanboy rant. Feel free to disagree 😁
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Well new short trek showed up yesterday, more of the same old. Ugh those turbolifts that are more funride track cars full of empty ship. And the rubbish hamfisted "homage" crap continues. Wont say much more to avoid spoilers.

And yes, I cannot stand some the the choices made in visuals, it is like the ships are just skins with all rooms on the outside and the inside is a empty tardis like interior. Worse than the beer brewery int of the jjtrek stuff.

Note Being prime wont get you eps, you need to have a CBS all access sub within prime.

First video is dead
    think this is a working link for the picard thing for US viewers.

Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »

Note Being prime wont get you eps, you need to have a CBS all access sub within prime.

I live in Germany. As I understand it, it‘s just prime outside the US and Canada.
    edited October 2019 #47
    Yes, outside of the US and Canada, you just need Prime. CBS All Access only has distribution rights in the US, and a Canadian TV station is carrying the shows.

In regards to Data, I've felt his makeup looked off since the first trailer with him in it. But, I think we can chalk that up to this being a web series with practically no budget. They're doing what they can. As for Brent Spiner's face, he could have gained some weight. After all, he's 70 years old. The show looks OK, but I'm on a wait and see approach.

I've been pretty unhappy with Star Trek in general for about 10 years now. The first movie that JJ Abrams did was good. It's rough and has a lot of WTF moments, especially in regards to how a group of new Stafleet officers all conveniently got into their familiar positions very quickly. But, it was at least good. Into Darkness was a trash ripoff of TWOK, very badly done. I actually really liked Beyond and thought they were turning that series around, but it's dead now. (and, no, I don't want to see a Quentin Tarantino Star Trek film) Discovery season 1 was a mixed bag. The pilot was good, then they had a few rough episodes, but I thought it got pretty good and even sometimes really good as the season went on. I've only seen the first episode of season 2, when it was free on YouTube. I actually liked it. I'll buy that when it comes out on DVD next month and see how it is, but a lot of what I've seen and read about it doesn't fill me with hope.

So, we'll see. Even bringing back the one and only Sir Patrick Stewart and having a bunch of cameos doesn't fill me with hope. It's all about the characters and how they're written and the stories. Star Trek has always survived on its storytelling and strong characters. A lot of newer Sci-Fi doesn't rely as much on storytelling and character building as it does on flashy effects and frantic action. That's not Star Trek. They need to stop treating it like a Marvel movie and let it be what it always was. These studios need to realize that what works for Disney/Marvel isn't going to work for every Sci-Fi franchise. Also, they really need to cut back on the dark sets, dark space scenes, overdone spec/bloom and Star Wars style frantic ship action. That stuff is really getting on my nerves.
    Freak wrote: »
    Also why is the Ship Picard on in a battle with the Romulan BOP from TOS, it should be no match as that ship is over a 100 years old.

I'm not saying this is what they did, but in the game Star Trek Online, the Romulans are in complete disarray since the destruction of Romulus and Remus. They're using whatever is available, including old Birds of Prey. These vessels have been retrofitted to make them spaceworthy and have newer weapons and shields. Also, it looks like it's fighting shuttles in the trailer and we don't know the capabilities and tech of the non Starfleet ship in Picard. It's not quite as bad as the Klingon ship in the TNG episode The Emissary firing 70 year old disruptors that look like they're a match for the Enterprise's shields, when a 24th century ship should have been able to shrug those off easily.
    As for Data why have they made him so fat faces. Spiner not that fat in the face? Data just does not look right and given how they can do de-aging these days this is just pure wrong.

It's a nice thought, but this show has practically no budget. I'm sure they can't afford de-aging.
    Looking at this it looks like Kurtzman is ripping off Bryan Singer & Robert Meyer Burnett Star Trek Pitch show called Federation which can be found on the net.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Alex Kurtzman is a hack who doesn't know how to do anything original. His body of work is a bunch of remakes and adaptations of existing works. I'm pretty sure he has no original ideas.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    I think what's bugging me most about that Picard trailer is that it's only after nostalgic fans. They're obviously trying to appeal to those of us who have been watching Star Trek for decades. This is evident because they don't show much more footage from the show than we've seen before, except for more stuff with Data and Seven of Nine and stuff we hadn't seen before with Riker and Troi. They clearly want to entice us with this footage and hope that gets us into the series. The problem is, those people are likely only going to be in the pilot, and the rest of the series is going to be this new crew, of which we've actually seen very little. They're the ones (along with Sir Patrick Stewart) who are going to carry the series, yet we've seen very little of them. That really bugs me. It shows me that CBS has no real confidence in that crew's ability to carry a series, and they're trying to tug on those nostalgia strings to get us to watch it. But, we'll see. I'll probably sign up for CBS All Access again when it premiers, just to see how it is.
    Chris, STD and Picard are not some cheap Web series. Up until Game of Thrones, Star Trek Discovery was the second most expensive show to make.
    Picard is Rumoured to cost twice as much as Game of Thrones. They got the budget to de-age Data, but it looks like it not being spent on Screen. STD has 21 producers, which are taking a huge bit out of that Budget, as for how many Picard has I don't know but we will find out in time.
    But 21 producers is a freaking joke, no way in hell do you need that many for a TV show.

Don't believe me take a look below.

Reason these two shows have such a huge budget is for the same reason they are not being broadcasted and are on CBSAA in the States.
    "The Streaming Wars" CBS is pumping a huge amount of money into them to get viewers to sign up to their streaming service. But CBSAA is going to be one of the first casualties in that war. They just don't have the content even with Viacom library. They just can't compete with Disney+, Amazon and Netflix. CBS is currently taking a huge lose with both of these Trek shows and they are not making any money from mechanise from STD and none of their licence holder have yet to sign up for Picard. Which means they are only still making money from TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and Enterprise.
    When CBS loses in the Streaming Wars, if Trek is still around I can grantee you that the budget will be cut massively.
    I believe you and I don't watch YouTube videos. Even if it does cost a lot to make, the money clearly isn't being put into the show. At least, not the parts that matter.

CBSAA's problems stem from way more than a lack of a decent library. Granted, I only tried it when it was brand new, and they may have fixed some things, but it had a lot of technical issues a couple years ago. Their stream compression was also terrible. Watching 1 episode of Discovery used 3-4 times as much mobile data than other streaming platforms. As I said, I'll try it again when Picard gets released, but I'm not holding my breath that it's gotten any better.
    Chris, I been told the CBSAA stream just below HD in quality and that is still the case.
    The few that I know in the States that watch the show have said they access CBSAA though Amazon and they can get it in 4K. Something to think about.

As for the budget, your right I would say about 75 to 80% is not being spent on screen but those Producers.
    They need to let less people leech off of the show and put some money into the episodes, particularly the writing, makeup and effects.

Here's the thing about mobile. I don't want stuff streaming in 1080p. It eats up too much of my mobile data. When I used to watch YouTube, I'd cap it at 480, which is the low end of HD and plenty of resolution on a small screen. Companies like Hulu, Netflix and Amazon can stream at decent quality without eating up my mobile data, because they compress the stream and it's decompressed on my end. There are various algorithms for doing this, the one CBSAA was using two years ago was crap. Really, CBSAA had a terrible launch, with bad technical issues an lackluster content. The one show they had at launch that they were banking on was Discovery, which was well received by critics but less so by audiences. Season 1 has a 52% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, season 2 has a 36%. Numbers like that aren't good for a show you're expecting to carry your streaming service.
    You‘re not entirely right. The first season of Discovery was expensive, yes but it didn‘t cost CBS a thing since the contract with Netflix was so good, that it paid for the entire production. For Season two however they hat do pay a lot more out of pocket.

As for Picard. It is also Rumored that this show will be Patrick Stewards biggest payday ever, meaning upwards of 30 Million Dollars. Wouldn‘t surprise me, if half the budget goes straight into his pocket. But what am I complaining? If anyone‘s earned it, it‘s him 😁
    edited October 2019 #54
    Patrick Stewart deserves to get paid whatever they're paying him. He's one of the best actors, certainly the best one to ever play a main character on Star Trek. I was watching the TNG episode The Ensigns of Command this morning, and both he and Brent Spiner were excellent in that episode. I love it when Picard "hangs up on" the Sheliak, and goes over and checks the dedication plaque for dust when they're trying to hail back. I can't imagine too many people besides Patrick Stewart could have pulled off a silly scene like that without it seeming cheesy, but he can do it.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    P5ych0p4th
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Cbs aa is best to sign up at amazon instead dunno if they offer the trial sub though. Cbs i think used a on the fly trans code for low quality settings vs seprate preenxoded files like yt flix etc. What they suffered most is quality on the hd streams. Stairstepping macroblocks and only 2.0 audio. So usa pays more for inferior product. S2 of std most ppl streamed on amazon.
    I do not remember flix fund covering all of s1. Think there was others throwing into the pot as both seasons over ran the budget. And yes picard is up ther in the per ep costs. Sadly some of the videography does not look that good. Would have thought they woul use those expensive anamorphic lenses kurtz splurged a on. Worse is he probably rented them. Anyhow a few shots in the previewnlooked really amateur. Ugh this forums auto size on a phone sucks keeps moving while i attempt to correct text!
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Prime Video's add-on sub has the same 7-day trial as regular CBSAA. I dropped the rest of Prime and have the video only, I may add CBSAA to it soon and try Disco season 2. That might be better than going ahead and buying it when it comes out on DVD, in case I don't like it. ;)
    Discovery Season two was really annoying. I did not like the pilot episode that much but but the next few were surprisingly solid. However once the main story kicks in, I pretty much had to force myself to at least watch it to the end. Most of the time I told myself, that I could watch the Orville once it's finished. That helped :-D
    edited October 2019 #58
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    You‘re not entirely right. The first season of Discovery was expensive, yes but it didn‘t cost CBS a thing since the contract with Netflix was so good, that it paid for the entire production. For Season two however they hat do pay a lot more out of pocket.

Your right, the deal Netflix made to get all of Trek and Discovery paid for Season 1 outright. So there was no loss for CBS, even with the reshoots.

However given how well Season 1 was received by the Fans and Netflix Viewing audience. They where unwilling to pay the agreed amount for season 2 and only paid half of it. This meant that CBS had to pick up the rest. When season 2 went into extensive reshoots Netflix was unwilling to pay for it. So CBS had to fork out for it. It is rumoured that the reshoots was starting cost more than original budget per episode and CBS refused to give Kurtzman anymore cash. But it was at stage where he could not just take what he had done and run with it, so he went to Bad Robot to get the rest of the cash and they paid for the rest.

As for Season 3, I have not heard any Rumours on what Netflix has paid for that, but given that CBS has put out a trailer and Netflix has not, I would expect it would be the same as season 2 or even less.

Also with the deal CBS made with Netflix, they have first chance to pick up any future Trek show for international showings.
    After what had happened with the first two season of Discovery and what they shown what Picard was going to be like. Netflix told CBS to make it like TNG, DS9, VOY etc. CBS told Kurtzman to make the changes, Kurtman made as little as he could. When CBS went back to Netflix with the changes, they told them it needs more. Kurtzman refused so Netflix walked away. CBS started of offer the show around but no one wanted it at the price they where ask for. I heard that Amazon picked it up for a quarter of CBS original asking price.
    With that in mind that has meant that CBS has to pick up the rest of the cost. (I guess Netflix have a few Star Trek Fans in the company.)
    As for Picard. It is also Rumored that this show will be Patrick Stewards biggest payday ever, meaning upwards of 30 Million Dollars. Wouldn‘t surprise me, if half the budget goes straight into his pocket. But what am I complaining? If anyone‘s earned it, it‘s him 😁

Yeah I heard that too, apparently most of the budget is going on his wages.
    Discovery Season two was really annoying. I did not like the pilot episode that much but but the next few were surprisingly solid. However once the main story kicks in, I pretty much had to force myself to at least watch it to the end. Most of the time I told myself, that I could watch the Orville once it's finished. That helped :-D

I hated that first episode, found the second was good but it had it faults. But it went all down here from there.
    A lot of people watch The Orville after to get rid of the bad taste of Discovery.
    Prime Video's add-on sub has the same 7-day trial as regular CBSAA. I dropped the rest of Prime and have the video only, I may add CBSAA to it soon and try Disco season 2. That might be better than going ahead and buying it when it comes out on DVD, in case I don't like it. ;)

I would say that would be the best option. Better to do the free trail and see it than have buyer remorse.
    Post edited by Freak on
    I don‘t think it’s necessarily that there are many StarTrek Fans in the Netflix Team. It‘s that this Team just knows, what sells. Voyager is one of the most watched shows on the entire platform and Endgame one of the most watched episodes. It just makes economical sense to do another TNG Show, if you have to do a new one or at least don‘t make it too radically different.

Now that can be a blessing and a curse. It‘s not hard to see, that you get some very derivative Stuff, if there‘s no quality control (and the Orville has plenty of those)

I would not be surprised, If Seven of Nine was an addition to to Picard after their first talks with Netflix.
    Your maybe right, but they paid for Star Trek and did not get Star Trek, that pissed them off and then CBS tired to sell the first lot of Short Trek.
    Netflix refused to buy them and in the end CBS gave them to Netflix for free who them hid them with the Trailers.

That's the problem Kurtzman Star Trek is not Star Trek, it is only in Name. while The Orville is Star Trek but not in name and hugely more popular.
    That's got to Piss off the people in CBS.
    That's got to Piss off the people in CBS.

It's their own fault. They turned down Seth MacFarlane when he pitched a Star Trek show to them, so he changed all of the copyrighted stuff and sold it to Fox. Well played, Seth, well played. :)