Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVolition Class Starship Using Blender: Nearing completion.

Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
edited September 2019 in Work in Progress #1
I have this new hull I am working on, and I'm looking for a few critical eyes to help me design it. I call it the Volition Class, and I see it as a type of "Heavy Surveyor," meant to operate in deep space for extended periods with minimal support. About a third or so smaller than a Galaxy class, she would be a more scientifically inclined, no-nonsense type of build.

This is what I have so far. I'm still toying with basic shapes. One of the first things I need to decide, is whether to keep or loose the "Enterprise B" type boxes on the aft shuttle bays. You can see the ship below with, and without them, from differing angles. Not sure about the Impulse design. The barrels on the top are something like what I might do for forward torpedo launchers. Not sure I like the shape or even the existence of the deflector. I might do a saucer-inset deflector after all.

Nothing's set yet; it's all up in the air. But for a long time, I have been wanting to do a 4 nacelled hull in the Galaxy-class family with an extended secondary hull and a small front profile. That's the core of what I am going for.

BwOWHu8.jpg

(Thread Preview Picture)

LDv1Yhu.jpg

0FO6oQy.jpg

IwqiDjl.jpg

nUTp2HT.jpg

zMXEp7m.jpg

HQI5tBR.jpg

0EtPEbU.jpg

xxOgnHh.jpg

KfeFcg9.jpg

luLMB3C.jpg

1uNImNJ.jpg

cjyYPO0.jpg

WIcAm0i.jpg

Post edited by Polaris 004 on
evil_genius_180
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited September 2019 #2
    Nice start. The generally flat saucer and engineering hull with the nacelles up top reminds me a bit of the Springfield class from The Best of Both Worlds. Overall, your design has a nice flow to it. Though, the big boxy impulse engines on the back of the saucer definitely don't fit with the flow for me. If you're going to do impulse engines in the saucer, I'd suggest something more like the Galaxy class saucer impulse engines. Just a suggestion.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice Looking ship.
    Reminds me of the concept model for the Excelsior-class they built, before going with the design we know and love now.

I agree with Chris on the impulse engines.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Thanks, Guys!

Yeah, I did draw pretty heavily on the Springfield class. This class is sized about halfway between a Springfield and a Galaxy Class.

I made some decisions about the layout, and in particular the aft shuttle bays and the impulse engines. I also decided I didn't like the old deflector, and re-worked the shape of the secondary hull a bit more. Here's where I am at now:

8mh8zOj.jpg

AuXSxXh.jpg

u1cK69A.jpg

vibsjRO.jpg

dVGLR2g.jpg

4OuxRPx.jpg

EX2I7U8.jpg

51HkNob.jpg

eAQncbw.jpg

OHnLWDB.jpg

qdT6a0Q.jpg

2Ra3ynY.jpg

P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180Zhor2395
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Coming along niecely. Great work. Those sculpted shapes are never easy to get right.

However that square deflector within mostly rounded shapes doesn't really work for me. You yould try something along the lines of the akira class or the NX-01

But maybe that's just me :-D

P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    Coming along niecely. Great work. Those sculpted shapes are never easy to get right.

However that square deflector within mostly rounded shapes doesn't really work for me. You yould try something along the lines of the akira class or the NX-01

But maybe that's just me :-D

No, I think you may be right. I'm not entirely sold on this deflector yet. But I have ruled out a "saucer rim" deflector for this hull, as too many of my hulls already have them!

I might make a deflector pod for the dorsal attachment point.

It's coming along really nicely. I like how you integrated the impulse engines into the support structures for the pod. I agree on the deflector, working a more rounded one into the lower hull would look better.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Other have mentioned the deflector so I won't resay what they have said.

As for the Shuttlebay, with this layout there are two place you could put it. 1st is under the secondary hull like the Excelsior open cargo bay.
    The 2nd would be on top. however doing this would mean moving your impulse engine/ support struts for the pod, so a shuttle can fit though the gap.

Looking back at your render, if you go with option 1 or 2, it looks like you would have to move the impulse engines.

As for the impulse engines I love that they are in support struts for the pod.
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    my 0.02 credits worth lays mostly in the transition between saucer section and engineering hull. feels to me that it should curve or flow more.
    P5ych0p4th
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
  • ora tzoora tzo68 Posts: 17Member
    edited September 2019 #10
    Theres something about that middle bit which feels like it can be sharpened.
    Perhaps make it not bulbous and have it continue straight down the hull.
    Also maybe you could add a bit on top.

entd-51.jpg

Post edited by ora tzo on

All right. Been picking at this a few days, tried FIVE different shapes for the inset deflector. I think I have settled on this one. I put a custom bridge on her, messed around with a few other details. I think the basic shapes are what they are going to be.

Ora Tzo, I messed around with the body some, but didn't accomplish anything I liked better than I already had. Maybe when I add some detail and lines to the body, it will define the shape more and look a bit better to you.

Freak, the Shuttle bays on this class are the four large doors you see on the saucer. She's equipped with a fleet of shuttles, drones and research vessels. In deep space situations, she can open those doors and have vessels constantly flying in and out. The doors on each side lead to large bays that have a "fly through" connecting them, which can improve the time it takes to land and launch a shuttle. Basically this class can travel far, then set up shop in remote sectors to conduct more thorough or involved study and explorations. It might explore entire solar systems or sectors in high resolution, then move on. I'm planning on making a research station or pod than can drop down from the bottom of the saucer. It will be like a little research station that can be left behind for months or even years, then picked up when it is finished with its research projects.

Anyway, here are the latest pics:

osBYjKi.jpg

cTLxVoG.jpg

TAh4rro.jpg

0nYnaRf.jpg

rsbPMhL.jpg

eBoFmDJ.jpg

Sug0PSu.jpg

XUYBbWE.jpg

PCT97hc.jpg

UTV8PlA.jpg

YBJ7FcD.jpg

Ocxm3Y9.jpg

XNAA4c5.jpg
    evil_genius_180Freak
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I quite like this, reminds me a lot of the Grand Alliance, but with a clearly more militaristic profile, almost like a TNG-era dreadnought.

I like the new deflector more than the old one, but I think it would look better with just no deflector, similar to the Cheyenne and Challenger classes. Also, while I like the shape and placement of the two upper impulse engines, the bottom ones look rather vestigial IMO, and the "fins" they create don't flow very well with the TNG style lines.

Just my two cents of course, looking forward to seeing it evolve further. Also, I can't help but wonder how its bridge would look like...
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert, The Grand Alliance was one of the ships I had in mind working on this. I really liked that ship, and a couple of others like her, and wanted my own take on the basic body type/ nacelle configuration.

I want to tone down the military look, and make her look a bit more peaceful. She's supposed to be for deep space surveying. I'm replacing the weapon pod with a scaled down Nebula-type sensor pod. (That pod was always just a place holder.) I'm also toying with removing the bottom impulse engines. That never occurred to me, somehow, but I think it may be a really good suggestion. I really like the new look, but I also sorta miss the bottom engines.

Like you, I also think she would look classier with a solid saucer. I like the solid saucer, and personally don't think every Federation hull needs a large, visible deflector. But I dunno. Given her mission profile, if any ship could use a deflector dish, certainly she does...

What if I made the two launchers on either side of the bridge into smaller deflector-greebles, and closed up the deflector inset? (Of course I would close the phaser strip if I went that direction.)

Guys, take a look and see if you like the changes. Does she look more peaceful? Does she look better without the deflector inset into the saucer? (Thanks to all of you for helping me out. I really enjoy using these boards to help me with design. There's always so many ideas...)

zyfofbU.jpg

usOWO3j.jpg

oX4Rega.jpg

j8vV9n6.jpg

vQkRBPO.jpg

ewzdfj5.jpg

b7uARs3.jpg

9izO2AO.jpg

6aJ8UI5.jpg

s1mlniK.jpg

iCdhmJK.jpg

GWXb4zn.jpg

tZXeygB.jpg

Rekkert
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    It does look less aggressive, but the triangular pod was always associated with weapons. The Nebula fires torpedoes from there, and publications flat out call it a "weapons pod". What about replacing it with a deflector pod similar to what the Springfield has underneath its saucer?
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited September 2019 #15
    The ship's shaping up really nicely, Polaris 004. I like the Nebula style pod.

I like how people see the pod do one thing on camera, so that's all it does. There are forward and rear torpedo launchers in the center, those are the only weapons in the pod. The rest was always supposed to be sensors, as it was designed to replace the AWACS style pod that the Phoenix had. Though, if they'd gone with Doug Drexler's original mockup replacement pod, it would probably be associated with weapons even more:

nebula_class_alternate_sensor_pod_mock-up.jpg
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Interesting design.

There's a couple of issues for me. Firstly, the overly long neck seems to serve no obvious purpose. Obviously, it gives internal volume, but it just looks stretched and featureless at the moment. One possibility would be to move that pod forward so that it covers that area. I think if you did some sort of ridge down the spine, it could help break up the shape and add a bit more interest to the design.

Either that, or simply shorten that long neck.

I find the 'plate' between the nacelles to be too thin and spindly looking. If you thicken this up, the rear will look a little more robust and less fragile.

And finally, I think the shape from a side-on profile is very back heavy. Again, you could consider some sort of dorsal 'spine' that runs from the centre of the saucer, back down the hull towards the rear of the ship.

Rekkert wrote: »
    It does look less aggressive, but the triangular pod was always associated with weapons. The Nebula fires torpedoes from there, and publications flat out call it a "weapons pod". What about replacing it with a deflector pod similar to what the Springfield has underneath its saucer?

Yeah, I kinda think along the lines of evil genius on this one. That is clearly not a "weapons pod." I know torpedoes were shown launching out of the front of the Sutherland's pod, but I really think that was just a decision made for drama and the lack of a good physical structure on the Nebula class model to fire the torpedoes from. But launchers don't take up that much space, nor the torpedoes. Maybe the pod might have a space that can be used to emplace weapons, but I don't accept that the pod itself is for weaponry. Remember, we saw a similar pod on the back of the Phoenix, no doubt fulfilling a similar role as this pod. And that role is probably high powered and/or high resolution sensing equipment of different sorts.

In any case, that's my rationale here. The pod is a sophisticated and high-powered sensor pallet, useful for surveying effectively at maximal ranges.
    The ship's shaping up really nicely, Polaris 004. I like the Nebula style pod.

I like how people see the pod do one thing on camera, so that's all it does. There are forward and rear torpedo launchers in the center, those are the only weapons in the pod. The rest was always supposed to be sensors, as it was designed to replace the AWACS style pod that the Phoenix had. Though, if they'd gone with Doug Drexler's original mockup replacement pod, it would probably be associated with weapons even more:

nebula_class_alternate_sensor_pod_mock-up.jpg

Wow. That's one I never came across. Great find. I'm really glad they didn't go with that look, although it would look better without the Miranda Launcher sticking off the top. Wrong scale!
    Comco wrote: »
    Interesting design.

There's a couple of issues for me. Firstly, the overly long neck seems to serve no obvious purpose. Obviously, it gives internal volume, but it just looks stretched and featureless at the moment. One possibility would be to move that pod forward so that it covers that area. I think if you did some sort of ridge down the spine, it could help break up the shape and add a bit more interest to the design.

Either that, or simply shorten that long neck.

I find the 'plate' between the nacelles to be too thin and spindly looking. If you thicken this up, the rear will look a little more robust and less fragile.

And finally, I think the shape from a side-on profile is very back heavy. Again, you could consider some sort of dorsal 'spine' that runs from the centre of the saucer, back down the hull towards the rear of the ship.

Hmmm. Great suggestions. I did try a couple of dorsal spines, but never found anything I really liked. I thought it might be neat to have them as weapon hard points, but ultimitely decided I like the lines without them. The long neck is sorta the whole point of the hull; it's one of the design principals I was going for from the start. But I can appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea. As far as rationale, I imagine much of the room in that neck taken up by cabins and residences. There's less room in the saucer for all the cabins needed, because of the volume taken up by the 4 shuttle bays.

I tried those pylons at all sorts of different thicknesses. It's too late to change them now, but I think they are pretty close to what I want. For what it's worth, they pretty closely match the thickness of the Galaxy class pylons, although of course they are larger, and thus, yes, more fragile looking.

I've moved pretty far forward with this mesh. I'm afraid basic design choices have all been made, so this is pretty much what I have settled on:

IpGxi5Y.jpg

m2DqlK8.jpg

WhtwjmO.jpg

i3hsipl.jpg

cO9FkJo.jpg

rHs0vWM.jpg

kymaphP.jpg

bXk5yyC.jpg

QvO29Nm.jpg

BPxtRdb.jpg

DaEKQBm.jpg

M6deiPx.jpg

sZha555.jpg

Still not sure I'm going with the front deflector on the saucer. I still might close that off. But I decided I like the launcher placements on top of the saucer, especially once I realized they make effective coverage of both the fore AND the aft firing arcs. Kinda elegant.

Here's some pics of the detachable research vessel that separates off the bottom of the saucer, like a Captains yacht, but bigger.

BwOWHu8.jpg

O2EeUwT.jpg

spGAi0o.jpg

hY6kQYF.jpg

2DWnnRG.jpg

wsUY1RB.jpg

Still lots of detailing to do. But I think we have a general sense of how she is shaping up.

evil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakRekkert
    edited September 2019 #18
    This is looking really nice. You've made a lot of progress since your last update. :) I like the deflector, I hope you keep it. Also, that detachable research vessel is really sweet. It not only looks cool, but is very practical. It's for those missions where you can't use or don't want to risk your main ship but where shuttle just couldn't get the job done. :)
    I know torpedoes were shown launching out of the front of the Sutherland's pod, but I really think that was just a decision made for drama and the lack of a good physical structure on the Nebula class model to fire the torpedoes from.

I figure they were added to the pod to address the issue that neither the saucer nor the secondary hull has any launchers. The Phoenix had no clear torpedo launchers. But, I'm pretty sure it fired torpedoes (not seen on camera) in the episode "The Wounded." At least the Sutherland configuration had clear torpedo launchers, since they were needed by the script. And, as you said, the launchers and torpedoes take up only a small portion of that pod. The rest could be all sensor equipment, as was the intent behind the pods.